• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total result of US 2020 hardware has been revealed - Switch, PS5, XSX, PS4, and XBO

ethomaz

Banned
Interesting to not that if Sony not ship units to Japan like they did with PS4 then PS5 could have beat PS4 first year sales in US.
The diference in shipping in US is probably around 100-150k for PS5 and PS4.

Last edited:
You have two companies fighting tooth and claw over the same exact demographic with nearly the same exact hardware specs, paying millions and even billions for timed exclusives and acquisitions, and combined they can't outsell the product of a company that completely ignores the competition and does their own thing.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Personally sales numbers do not mean anything to me until there is stocking sitting on shelves, this just shows more then anything who had supply.

I would imagine the PS5 will decimate the X/S eventually but right now those numbers are useless imo.

yurinka

What is the source of these numbers? I'm surprised to see XBO that close to PS4 both in 2020 and LTD, and it's hard to believe these 9M of Switch for 2020 even considering it got AC and Covid during its peak sales year, and that now they have combined their two markets and now have the monopoly of the handheld market.

Microsoft needs to wake up ...

PS5 2.63 M (US+UK+JP)
XBS 1.84 M (US+UK+JP)

US gap 440k

PS4 2.58 M (US+UK)
XB1 2.22 M (US+UK)

US gap 180k

And please, stop comparing apples to oranges. Or home and portable consoles.

FY 2020 - Sales Forecast

PlayStation 2.6 trillion yen
Nintendo 1.4 trillion yen

P= (N+M)

Once PS5 enters its prime ...
Very interesting. We also have to consider both XBS and specially PS5 have been very supply constrained. So with a bigger stock the difference could have been way bigger, and with more or less difference. IMO I think once the supply constrained issues get solved the gap between PS and Xbox will become bigger, specially in non-UK Europe.

We also have to consider that Europe is the biggest market for PlayStation, and in most non-UK European countries PS traditionally works better than MS. So as of now the worldwide difference between PS4 and XBO or between PS5 and XBS must be bigger.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You have two companies fighting tooth and claw over the same exact demographic with nearly the same exact hardware specs, paying millions and even billions for timed exclusives and acquisitions, and combined they can't outsell the product of a company that completely ignores the competition and does their own thing.
That is the level of comments we reached here :messenger_tears_of_joy:

At first year you know PS4 outsold Switch too... PS2 outsold Wii too... etc etc etc.

Think a bit about ;)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
What is the source of these numbers? I'm surprised to see XBO that close to PS4 both in 2020 and LTD, and it's hard to believe these 9M of Switch for 2020 even considering it got AC and Covid during its peak sales year.
A leaker in ERA I posted the link in the first page.

At the end of FY 2021 switch will be over 100 million

breath of the wild running GIF
Still behind the king, PS4.

ethomaz

Banned
Interesting, I could've sworn they always reported on NA numbers.
Nope... Mat Twitter NPD are all US only.

If you want to follow him below is the schedule for the NPD results for US (and the platforms/publishers that shares digital).

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
So Switch also sold more than all others combined in the US? That's pretty crazy considering it's almost four years old and never had a price drop - in fact I paid less for my launch Switch than I would need to pay now if I bought one.

Perfect pandemic, stuck at home platform--especially for families. Lot's of family friendly multiplayer games, hybrid form factor means the kid(s) or whoever can keep gaming while someone else uses the TV and Animal Crossing was a huge hit and system seller with a lot of articles about it being the perfect pandemic/quarantine escape game.

TAS

Nintendo Switch has sold 9 million units in a single year. The feat that was never done by any playstation consoles before.

Nintendo Switch in 2020 is second only in dollar sales behind 2008 Wii.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling console of the generation.

Nintendo Switch hasn't received a single official price drop after nearing 4 years on the market.

Nintendo Switch was having stock problems in the US during the holiday months last year.

Nintendo Switch managed to dominate during the holidays without any megaton release like mainline Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon.

Nintendo Switch has outsold PS4, PS5, XBO, and XSX/S combined in 2020.
Mind-boggling stats. 😲 Thank you for sharing. I'm so happy Nintendo was able to completely redeem themselves after the WiiU sales fiasco. ROTK. 👑

MiguelItUp

Nintendo continues to just print money, it's wild.

Microsoft numbers REALLY aren't THAT bad. Regardless, Nintendo clapped both Sony and Microsoft's cheeks with total hardware. Good GOD.

MagnesG

Banned
I believe most people who wanted a Switch already have one. Switch selling like hotcakes around the world this year was because of corona and it seems corona will (hopefully) go away around summer when most of the developed world will be vaccinated.
I really hope you have the guts to back this up later.

At no point in its cycle since launch that we will see the Switch stop selling when their software sales are healthy as it can be, even with only their evergreen releases.
Switch train would only stop when Nintendo wants to release next gen, crippling the Switch software pipeline, and that wouldn't happen anytime soon when Furukawa already said the Switch is only halfway through its life cycle.

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned
Xbox getting harder dominated then back in 2013? Maybe I got the numbers wrong in my head but wasn’t the first year especially the first months pretty much neck on neck last gen? 0.5 million or 25% more ps5 sold then Xbox feels huge especially if you compare how scarce ps5 seems to be and Xbox also hard to obtain but not nearly as difficult.

All about momentum. 360 was great but Microsoft dropped the ball with XOne so ofcourse most won't opt for it's successors. if Series X/S have great games, then the next one will sell well too.

Mindshare 101

Here in Europe there is definitely a noticeable drop in mindhsare for the XBOX brand that seems to have carried over to current gen.

I really hope you have the guts to back this up later.

At no point in its cycle since launch that we will see the Switch stop selling when their software sales are healthy as it can be, even with only their evergreen releases.
Switch train would only stop when Nintendo wants to release next gen, crippling the Switch software pipeline, and that wouldn't happen anytime soon when Furukawa already said the Switch is only halfway through its life cycle.
Sure quote me on it for later crow. We'll see how it goes, but I don't think it will catch PS4. Could get close to it but I really doubt it.

And I love my Switch btw, can't wait for BOTW2

devilNprada

I see Switch levelling off around 100 mil. Don't think it will catch PS4.

I believe most people who wanted a Switch already have one.

Now that Among us and if roblox comes to the switch they most definatley will...
Kids are still playing these on Cell phones and as other kids move over to the switch they will need one also..

I.E. Switch i guess has an additional map you can't get on the cell phone version..

iconmaster

Banned
LTD
Playstation 4: ~34.12M(7 years and 2 months)

Playstation 4: ~1.94M(2 months)

This has probably been pointed out but I think the second item is meant to be Playstation 5.

Xbox One took less of a trouncing than I expected; but of course this is US-only. Worldwide I expect the picture is worse for them.

Last edited:

Tmack

What a brilliant launch! Not enough product to meet demands. Why didn't they just delay the launch?

"Realize the reality" is extra special. 🙃

Because to stockpile enough units costing about $500 you`d had to invest billions and unnecessary delay game sales/devlopment/etc.

By now the PS5 is nearly 5 million units sold and it`s nowhere near to meet demand. If Sony produced 10 million units before launch, that whould be like 5 billion dollars in inventory. No way any sane company would do that....

Woopah

Sure quote me on it for later crow. We'll see how it goes, but I don't think it will catch PS4. Could get close to it but I really doubt it.

And I love my Switch btw, can't wait for BOTW2
It'll heavily depend on when the successor comes out.

If a Switch 2 (not a revision) doesn't come out in the next 2.5 years, then the Switch is very likely to surpass PS4 (especially as Sony is heavily cutting off PS4's legs)

If a successor comes out sooner than that, then it gets more likely that PS4 will stay ahead overall.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Kids rule this space. Holy crap Switch. I just don't get it.

Given Xbox's strategy with GamePass and supposedly not caring so much about console sales...it's a solid showing. Given that you can barely find either console anywhere at least in the US...I think this is great for gaming as a whole.

Sony does what Sony does, simple as that.

December 2020
Switch: ~2.1m
PS5: ~0.8m
XS: ~0.7m

November 2020
Switch: 1,36m
PS5: 1.14m
XS: ~0.8m

2020 Total hardware Result
Nintendo Switch - 9042K
Playstation 5 - 1940K
Xbox Series X/S - 1500K
Playstation 4 - 1890K(Nov and Dec data not available)
Xbox ONE - 1282K(Nov and Dec data not available)

LTD
Playstation 4: ~34.12M(7 years and 2 months)
Xbox ONE: ~28.79M(7 years and 2 months)
Nintendo Switch: ~26.03M(3 years and 10 months)
Playstation 4: ~1.94M(2 months)
Xbox Series X/S: ~1.5M(2 months)
Source?

Fredrik

Regarding nextgen consoles...
Since everything was sold out within minutes we’re essentially comparing the manufacturing speed here, it’s the amount of units they could ship.
Goes for most countries afaik.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Again, I want to know how many of the ps5 machines were digital. Seems very convenient that this breakdown is absent from any sales numbers.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well I am happy that MS didn't do tiered release, which was fucking shit. So this results were expected....

Woopah

Again, I want to know how many of the ps5 machines were digital. Seems very convenient that this breakdown is absent from any sales numbers.
NPD doesn't provide hardware breakdowns on a regular basis (even the numbers from this thread are leaks, not things NPD releases publicly)

I wish we got more data on this kind of stuff.

Azaroth

OP needs to be edited. In the LTD section, that second-to-last line should be “PlayStation 5”, not “PlayStation 4”, unless I’m misreading something.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Microsoft needs to wake up ...

PS5 2.63 M (US+UK+JP)
XBS 1.84 M (US+UK+JP)

US gap 440k

PS4 2.58 M (US+UK)
XB1 2.22 M (US+UK)

US gap 180k

And please, stop comparing apples to oranges. Or home and portable consoles.

FY 2020 - Sales Forecast

PlayStation 2.6 trillion yen
Nintendo 1.4 trillion yen

P= (N+M)

Once PS5 enters its prime ...
Operating profits
PS4 in 7 years = 11 billion USD
NSW in 3 and half years = 10 billion USD

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The Switch is the console I play the most with my girlfriend and friends. Totally deserved.

Bodomism

Banned
Switch proving exclusives matter... If you are Nintendo
I still remember some of the posters here had predicted Nintendo Switch sales will fall off the cliff in 2020 as the next gen consoles hype makes people forget about Switch. Nintendo didn't have the big AAA 3rd party games to sustain its life against those consoles.

New Pokemon, New 3D Mario, New Zelda, and etc are the system sellers for Nintendo. These games aren't available on XSX and PS5.

StormCell

2020 Total hardware Result
Nintendo Switch - 9042K

Playstation 5 - 1940K
Xbox Series X/S - 1500K
Playstation 4 - 1890K(Nov and Dec data not available)
Xbox ONE - 1282K(Nov and Dec data not available)

It's over 9,000.

At its current trajectory it may even surpass Freiza...

Top Bottom