• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toshiba Warns Power-Chip Supply to Stay Tight for Another Year

kretos

Banned
Toshiba Corp. said it won’t be able to meet demand for power-regulating chips for another year, and in some cases, until the end of 2022, a new one for makers of cars, consumer electronics and Warning offered. Industrial machines suffering from component shortage.

“The supply of chips will be very tight until at least September next year,” said Takeshi Kamebuchi, director in charge of semiconductors at one of the company’s units. “In some cases, we find that some customers are not being fully serviced until 2023.”
Video-game consoles are another major victim of power chip shortages. Sony Group Corp. said it still believes it can sell more than 14.8 million units of PlayStation 5 this fiscal year to match the pace of its predecessor, but the April-June quarter saw production of the new console on PlayStation 4. lagged behind. same period. According to President Shuntaro Furukawa, the Nintendo company’s Switch production is not enough to meet customer demand. His company intends to sell 25.5 million switch units in the current financial year.

Nintendo falls 9% after weak earnings and buyback announcement

TY-aD-.gif

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
I am so happy I bought my computer in February.

Yes, it was an Alienware prebuilt, but at the time it was already as expensive as the components and because of that own a 3080, which makes gaming so much better.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I wonder if the big 3 will be able to meet their fiscal targets.

Doesn't seem so.

This is actually pretty bad because the booming popularity of gaming from the Covid surge won't be fully realised. We will never see what could have been.

If Sony and Microsoft could have foreseen just how big the chip shortage was going to be, I think they would have delayed the launch of their consoles until this Holiday.

ReBurn

Gold Member
If Sony and Microsoft could have foreseen just how big the chip shortage was going to be, I think they would have delayed the launch of their consoles until this Holiday.
I don't think so. I think they kind of like the panic buying that the chip shortage is encouraging.

Holammer

The current chip shortage or crisis isn't discussed much in the vidya industry, people just pretend nothing is happening and joke about scalping as consoles are rationed.

Meanwhile in the auto industry.

ohno-omg.gif

Last edited:

Drew1440

I am so happy I bought my computer in February.

Yes, it was an Alienware prebuilt, but at the time it was already as expensive as the components and because of that own a 3080, which makes gaming so much better.
Pretty much had to do the same. I'm not a fan of the Alienware cooling system, even with its water cooling its rather loud, but at least it was in stock

Trimesh

Banned
The current chip shortage or crisis isn't discussed much in the vidya industry, people just pretend nothing is happening and joke about scalping as consoles are rationed.

Meanwhile in the auto industry.

One of the big problems with AEC-Q10x parts is that in a lot of cases the approval is very specific - the chip has to be diffused in one specific plant, assembled by a specified vendor using a specific leadframe and encapsulated using a specific mold compound from a specified vendor (and sometimes what plant it's made at too) - this is done for consistency, but if (for example) you have a chip that calls out Shin-Etsu KMC-288P mold compound made at the Gunma factory and you can't get it then you can't substitute it with something else and you simply can't make that part until either the plant restarts or you change the specification control document.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
So i either buy a console now while it's overpriced due to demand, or i wait a later date when offer is higher, but my coin is will be devalued. Decisions, decisions...

EDMIX

I wonder if the big 3 will be able to meet their fiscal targets.

Doesn't seem so.

This is actually pretty bad because the booming popularity of gaming from the Covid surge won't be fully realised. We will never see what could have been.

True.

I'm trying to get my hands on a PS5 before BF2042 comes out. I'm ok either way as my backlog is shameful lol

Max_Po

Banned
True.

I'm trying to get my hands on a PS5 before BF2042 comes out. I'm ok either way as my backlog is shameful lol

I have stopped buying new games, and the games that I do buy... I finish them multiple times...

RE Village, 3rd playthrough, Ratchet 3 playthroughs already. I wish they add a harder difficulty.

Fuck backlog, I am selling my other stuff....

Top Bottom