• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top ten 'Tale of ....' games by region for the first time ever

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/...all-regions-revealed-for-the-first-time-ever/

Top 10 best-selling Tales of games worldwide

• 10. Tales of Destiny 2
  • 9. Tales of Xillia
  • 8. Tales of Eternia
  • 7. Tales of the Abyss
  • 6. Tales of Phantasia
  • 5. Tales of Berseria
  • 4. Tales of Zestiria
  • 3. Tales of Destiny – 1,720,000 units sold
  • 2. Tales of Vesperia – 2,370,000 units sold
  • 1. Tales of Symphonia – 2,400,000 units sold

Top-10 best-selling Tales of Games in Japan / Asia

• 10. Tales of Graces
  • 9. Tales of Xillia
  • 8. Tales of Rebirth
  • 7. Tales of Symphonia
  • 6. Tales of the Abyss
  • 5. Tales of Vesperia
  • 4. Tales of Destiny 2
  • 3. Tales of Eternia – 1,200,000 units sold
  • 2. Tales of Phantasia – 1,330,000 units sold
  • 1. Tales of Destiny – 1,630,000 units sold

Top-10 best-selling Tales of games in North America

• 10. Tales of Hearts
  • 9. Tales of Xillia 2
  • 8. Tales of Graces
  • 7. Tales of the Abyss
  • 6. Tales of Xillia
  • 5. Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
  • 4. Tales of Berseria
  • 3. Tales of Zestiria – 600,000 units sold
  • 2. Tales of Vesperia – 810,000 units sold
  • 1. Tales of Symphonia – 940,000 units sold

Top-10 best-selling Tales of games in Europe

• 10. Tales of the Abyss
  • 9. Tales of Eternity
  • 8. Tales of Xillia 2
  • 7. Tales of Graces
  • 6. Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
  • 5. Tales of Xillia
  • 4. Tales of Berseria
  • 3. Tales of Vesperia – 410,000 units sold
  • 2. Tales of Symphonia – 480,000 units sold
  • 1. Tales of Zestiria – 481,000 units sold

I expected Abyss to be much higher than that, with all the praise it got, although I personally think it's one of the worst in the series.
Eternia, on the other hand, deserves to be higher. Such a great game, hindered by a terrible English dub.

Kagey K

Banned
Top 2 are top 2.

Can’t argue with that.

Must be time for another Symphonia rerelease, as it’s not playable on any current gen platform right now.

bender

What time is it?
I recently tried the one with the dog with the pipe because, hey, it's a dog with a pipe. I gave up after a few hours as the combat just didn't click with me.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Huh, I fully expected Symphonia to top the European chart too, I’m not sure if it was the first Tales released in Europe but surely was the first mainstream one and the most talked about. I’m surprised there.

Fully expected Symphonia to not even make top 5 in Japan though, and I was correct there.

You know what, I never played a Tales game. Way too many to choose from by now, and the quite heavy anime vibe doesn’t gel that much with me anymore. I always appreciated the music, though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It is a shame that Berseria is so low. It was the best tales of Game since Abyss IMO...

such a great games series

Just so you guys know, anything Xillia and above has shipped/sold more than 1m units: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/13/altogether-namco-bandai-shipped-16-million-tales-games/

"Tales of Xillia, the most recent game released in the West, shipped over 1,000,000 copies. Next up is Tales of Symphonia Chronicles which comes out in February 2014 and then Tales of Xillia 2. Tales of Zestiria for PlayStation 3 is a 20th anniversary title for the Tales of series."

So that means Phantasia, Eternia, Berseria, Zestiria, and Abyss are million sellers.

Paltheos

The drop off in the Asian region is really interesting. Generally, sales seem to drop there as the series has gone on to the point where the newest games aren't in the top 10 at all. Seems to indicate that retention is a problem and that these extremely Japanese games don't have this problem in other regions! Although without the sales numbers for the rest of the top 10 that's allot of speculation. Vesperia's a bit of an exception there and that's no surprise considering it is known Yuri is concretely the second most popular character in the franchise in Japan (before Leon - again no surprise).

The non-Asian regions seem pretty easily explained. Symphonia and Vesperia both had allot of good press and on consoles starved for JRPGs. Zestiria is the first game in the series to debut on PC, and Berseria (again) got allot of good press in addition to the same kind of availability as Zestiria. And of course Symphonia and Vesperia both saw rereleases and remasters. I want to say "PC, baby!" but ofc this is all just me talking out of my ass.

Zestiria is way to high on all those of lists. That game is absolute garbage.

Nah. There are absolutely allot of very fair complaints about the game. The camera and environments were not polished enough to work well with the battle system, the skill system is a nightmare to navigate and that's even if you read tutorials on it, and the narrative kinda falls on its face at the conclusion of the first act. But it sells the Arthurian legend tale hard (well), the game makes clear this is Sorey's story, and the literally colorful cast of spirits with unique weapons is a fun diversion from the usual fare. These are all problems that Xillia dealt with poorly - That game had... 3 sword users? in a cast of 6 and was this weird ensemble band of people just kinda following Milla around for dubious reasons and ending with some very stupid results (when the game wasn't also ripping off Abyss). The fusion system in Zestiria is allot of fun too, and the OST is the best since Vesperia and cemented my suspicion that Sakuraba puts out much better work when the entire load of the soundtrack isn't left on his shoulders. Little to no effort is put into blending Go Shiina's and Sakuraba's styles together thematically but that's okay because the results are fun. The booming, epic tracks (Sakuraba) explode as you dash around these huge fields or labyrinthine dungeons, and these sweeping, orchestral ones (Shiina) as you explore trial levels. The whole game has an energy to it that I can't help but love even as I'm cursing under my breath so much of the dumb, under-the-hood shit that somehow didn't get ironed out. As I was playing I was thinking it might be my favorite but distance has knocked it down a bit for me.

Edit: Also, Zestiria looks gorgeous when you uncap it to 60 FPS. Characters' clothes and hair flutter in combat like.. in a dance. It fits really well with the bouncy battle theme. The difference between 30 and 60 for this game is really astounding.

Last edited:

SantaC

People calling berseria the best in the series while saying zestiria is garbage have no idea what they are talking about.

Berseria shares a lot of similarities with zestiria and uses basically the same garbage equipment system and terrible shop system.

Likely the highest budget a tales game ever had.
I bought vesperia DE on sale got 25 hours in maybe near end of act2 and I’ve half given up on it. Was fun at first but the story is garbage and some of the characters are so fucking annoying.

I’ve given berseria ago and it’s way better but doesn’t compel me to play on and on.

Last edited:

Amiga

Vesparia is the best all around. production level was great and could be considered AAA for it's time. unfortunately the production levels dropped for the games that followed. good thing Arise is overhauling. now the franchise has more potential for growth.

usually franchises like Tales, Persona, Yakuza are budgeted on the their expected fanbase of 400K-500K. now that these games are hitting 2 million the publishers may see an opportunity to improve to 3-4 million.

Shifty1897

It's interesting to see that the series' sales have really declined in Japan. Also it's weird that Zestiria is so high considering it's considered one of the worst mainline titles.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Symphonia was my favorite game for a while back in the day. Squeezed everything out of it then never played another Tales game lol.

I tried Berseria I think 2 years ago or so on PC but gave up and ended just watching a youtube recap on the scenes/cutscenes.

Kind of shocking to see Zestiria doing so well in Europe. It’s a pretty average Tales game.

I don't remember exactly but PS3 era was the first time where many previously mostly niche games became readily available in the Europe for the first time.

OrionNebula

So what would be the best entry title to ensure a best, first introduction to the Tales series, for a PS owner? And across all platforms?

Doesn’t look like a unanimous decision by a long shot if I go by sales and comments above

Aion002

So what would be the best entry title to ensure a best, first introduction to the Tales series, for a PS owner? And across all platforms?

Doesn’t look like a unanimous decision by a long shot if I go by sales and comments above
Abyss, Berseria and Vesperia are the most liked by PlayStation fans. While on Xbox, Vesperia is unanimous loved and on Nintendo, Symphonia holds most of the fans.

I am particularly fond of Graces F, but most people hate it and I also think that Xillia is good.

Anyway, I think that Berseria is a great entry point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom