• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top ten biggest video games companies by revenue

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I know that but my issue is that when you really look at it, PS only has 5 studios working on high end AAA games...

San Diego is making a multiplat in MLB, Mm doesn't make commercial stuff, London does VR mostly and now Japan is a one game studio.

It's just ND, SP, Insomniac, SMS, Guerrilla..... and Bend if you're generous but I don't consider them the same level yet.
VASG is also making an AAA for PS5 it's probably the rumored new Uncharted from the description or it might be Syphon Filter but it's going to look glorious

Hobbygaming

Nah, Sony doesn't need morte studios, they already have plenty. Remember, less is more, quality > quantity. Leave the numbers to Microsoft.
I'm not saying they necessarily need more but they would just have more quality and quantity

AmuroChan

Tencent revenue is insane since they aren’t selling a piece of hardware worth 300-500$... pretty much that’s all micro transactions right?

They also have majority/minority stakes in many gaming companies, including Activision, Ubisoft, Platinum, Epic, etc.

Bryank75

Banned
That would be freaking awesome. Bluepoint, Housemarque and Supermassive would be good too
I'd take them too but I think they need to make sure they get some recognizable IP's and already very prestigious names / studios on side for what seems to be a coming blitz and other industry wide consolidation.

From The list above, I am also surprised by how much value Sega has at their current price....so they'd actually be a great get.

If they bought Sega and integrated it (getting rid of Segas own publishing arm) and brought back Virtua Fighter for EVO and another few key moves.... I could see it pushing PlayStation past 30 Billion revenue.

Sega mobile games would be great earners too.

Damn. Sony is absolutely crushing the competition. Now they should use some of that $$$ and buy more studios to continue this domination.

I'm surprised take two and epic are so low though.

Why would you want Sony to continue dominating? Gaming is better when there's way more competition and the console holders are all relatively close (or at least two of them), unless you're talking exclusively from the perspective of a Sony shareholder

Hobbygaming

I'd take them too but I think they need to make sure they get some recognizable IP's and already very prestigious names / studios on side for what seems to be a coming blitz and other industry wide consolidation.

From The list above, I am also surprised by how much value Sega has at their current price....so they'd actually be a great get.

If they bought Sega and integrated it (getting rid of Segas own publishing arm) and brought back Virtua Fighter for EVO and another few key moves.... I could see it pushing PlayStation past 30 Billion revenue.

Sega mobile games would be great earners too.
That'd be a killer move. A new Virtual Fighter built exclusively for the PS5 would be dope

Hezekiah

Banned
Yes!!! PS5 will still be the number 1 selling console but if Sony get a few more studios too... whew 🔥
Don't forget some of Sony's studios have been recruiting and are now capable of working on multiple projects at the same time - see Insomniac as an example.

I don't think Sony will be looking at Microsoft's 23 studios and be thinking that's how many they need. They don't want studios putting out games like Crackdown, State of Decay, Hellblade etc (not to mention new unproven studios, and the cost of assuming such a large internal division) - they want AAA blockbusters which are going to make the hardware an even more attractive proposition.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
They're not

Tencent Q42020 is not reported yet
Q3 games revenue is $6.26bn
Q2 games revenue is $6.8bn
Q1 games revenue is $5.26bn

Those are official reported numbers. Not that nonsense in the Op
All the other companies seem to be accurate from what I see. I didn't look into Tencent till now but there could be various things going on but I need time to look into it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's because, they only have Rockstar making money for them, the rest of their studios are rubbish
Is 2K basketball DLC making money for them? I can’t imagine that people are lining up in droves to pay for dunk animations or the ability just to dunk in general for My Player, when I see people complaining all the time. But then again nothing surprises me anymore

Hobbygaming

Don't forget some of Sony's studios have been recruiting and are now capable of working on multiple projects at the same time - see Insomniac as an example.

I don't think Sony will be looking at Microsoft's 23 studios and be thinking that's how many they need. They don't want studios putting out games like Crackdown, State of Decay, Hellblade etc (not to mention new unproven studios, and the cost of assuming such a large internal division) - they want AAA blockbusters which are going to make the hardware an even more attractive proposition.
I agree. I'm excited to see Sony Santa Monica's new IP and it sounds like Naughty Dog is working on a few new projects right now

Sony are confident because they know what they are capable of

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Pretty sad seeing Tencent is hanging there that high for many years. Not only because most their revenues are from mtx, it's more about their the way they run their gaming business is hurting the local developers' motivation to innovate -- every time a small developer has an original game that explodes, Tencent will make a knock-off within ten days and channel all their huge user base to their game. They get the fat money while the original creators starve to death. They are making gradual changes investing in single-player games and console gaming, but I am not optimistic whatsoever.

As for Sony, well deserved but closing Japan studio without any replacement is the worst move ever. The originality and craftsman's spirit in Japan games are the most attractive parts in gaming for me nowadays.

Bryank75

Banned
If Sony is trying to future proof themselves by penetrating the pc market then they should buy share capital in Epic games
They have a small amount... 1.5 %

I don't think they have any larger ambitions on PC, just partnerships that may straddle both console and PC. They've been doing concerts and stuff in Fortnite for instance.

Stuart360

Ubisoft not in top 10?

They got AC Valhalla, WD Legion and Immortal Fenyx Rising recently
Its pretty hard to make that list if you think about it. You would have to sell 36mil games just to get 10th place, and thats 36mil games at $60, and most people dont buy games right at launch at full price.
Takiing that into account, you would probably have to sell 50-60mil games in one year just to reach 10th place. Pretty crazy really.
Of course there is dlc and MTX as well to take into account, but we dont know what percentage of revenue is dlc/mtx. Even if they make up 40% of the revenue, that would still mean about 30-40mil game sales needed in one year.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Pretty sad seeing Tencent is hanging there that high for many years. Not only because most their revenues are from mtx, it's more about their the way they run their gaming business is hurting the local developers' motivation to innovate -- every time a small developer has an original game that explodes, Tencent will make a knock-off within ten days and channel all their huge user base to their game. They get the fat money while the original creators starve to death. They are making gradual changes investing in single-player games and console gaming, but I am not optimistic whatsoever.

As for Sony, well deserved but closing Japan studio without any replacement is the worst move ever. The originality and craftsman's spirit in Japan games are the most attractive parts in gaming for me nowadays.
Decrying tencent for mtx but applauding Sony is a bit hypocritical as mtxs and subscriptions are where sony makes large chuncks of thier revenue from the same and they got started in the same way, spending their way into the market

Lanrutcon

Interested to see a profit list instead. I can make a shitton of revenue, but if I spend a ton of money in doing so the end result isn't considered successful. Trying to figure out why certain decisions are being made by looking at the revenue only seems kind of futile.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I thought Nintendo made more last year than Sony did during the entire PS4? There was some story about that a month or two ago.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Nah, Sony doesn't need morte studios, they already have plenty. Remember, less is more, quality > quantity. Leave the numbers to Microsoft.
They definitely need more studios. Just because they get more studios doesn't mean the quality of the studios they have will decrease. Plus they need more studios if they are going to properly support vr. Most of Sony's heavy hitters will have released a game last year and supposedly this year from ghost of tsushima, spiderman, last of us, ratchet and clank, horizon zero dawn, and god of war. That pretty much just leaves the Days gone studio when it comes to the cinematic third person games. Unless they push back god of war to next year they have pretty much blown nearly their entire first party studios loads for this gen at pretty much the start of the gen.

and yeah, I know the studios have grown organically lately but that doesn't mean that they aren't using this growth to make the games even larger than before rather than making games quicker.

Last edited:

Three

Begs the question, why close Japan Studio then?
This is revenue and not profit. They are probably taking losses on PS5 right now and Japan Studio isn't closed. It was restructured because of profit. Japan Studio just didn't renew contracts with a lot of employees. The studio is alive and still working, they have the ASOBI team on Astrobot.
I thought Nintendo made more last year than Sony did during the entire PS4? There was some story about that a month or two ago.
Again profit vs revenue.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Decrying tencent for mtx but applauding Sony is a bit hypocritical as mtxs and subscriptions are where sony makes large chuncks of thier revenue from the same and they got started in the same way, spending their way into the market
LMAO, subscription is now the same evil as mtx now? Sorry I don't think so, I got way more values than 60 bucks per year from PS plus (only three months into this year and the free games are already worth more than 60) and I think most subscriber will think the same. I basically platinum'ed every major first party PS game, and where is the mtx you were talking?

You ever really played any Tencent games? Their in-game stores straightly shamelessly sell gameplay enhancement items like OP gears that are only available in store, making your powerful over other players. It's straight scummy even on EA's standard.

I mean C'mon, I played games on both sides so I know what I am talking about, if you want to make yourself look fair and wise pick some other topics.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The video game industry as a whole marked yet another sales record last year, being now worth over 130 billion U.S. dollars. 2021’s Top 10 biggest video game brands are also largely the same as in the previous years. The following lists the Top 10 biggest video game companies 2021 in the world by the achieved gaming revenue last year.

31H3eq7.png

Sony should buy Xbox.

Hobbygaming

I highly doubt that because in some years like in 2018, PSN made more revenue alone than Nintendo and Microsoft's whole gaming divisions for that year

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Zenimax annual revenue is only 500 million. People still think Xbox desperately needs all that multiplat revenue?

Hobbygaming

They definitely need more studios. Just because they get more studios doesn't mean the quality of the studios they have will decrease. Plus they need more studios if they are going to properly support vr. Most of Sony's heavy hitters will have released a game last year and supposedly this year from ghost of tsushima, spiderman, last of us, ratchet and clank, horizon zero dawn, and god of war. That pretty much just leaves the Days gone studio when it comes to the cinematic third person games. Unless they push back god of war to next year they have pretty much blown nearly their entire first party studios loads for this gen at pretty much the start of the gen.

and yeah, I know the studios have grown organically lately but that doesn't mean that they aren't using this growth to make the games even larger than before rather than making games quicker.
Sony will have some 3rd party exclusives to fill in the gaps while 1st party exclusives are getting worked on just like this past generation

The Order 1886
Until Dawn
Death Stranding
Judgment
Bloodborne
Street Fighter V
Persona 5

v_iHuGi

Banned
Tencent is the only company that could challenge Sony, these guys know what they are doing that's for sure.

Sony vs Tencent will be the next big battle, specially as Asia gaming grows exponentially because of China where Tencent has insane share & Sony will start battling there too.

Both are investing heavily in Japanese cloud & Japanese government doesn't seem to see Tencent as competition since they can freely invest in Japanese companies.

Tencent has also shares on Epic with Sony, seems like both companies are making similar bets, they also loads of studios.

Bryank75

Banned
Tencent is the only company that could challenge Sony, these guys know what they are doing that's for sure.

Sony vs Tencent will be the next big battle, specially as Asia gaming grows exponentially because of China where Tencent has insane share & Sony will start battling there too.

Both are investing heavily in Japanese cloud & Japanese government doesn't seem to see Tencent as competition since they can freely invest in Japanese companies.

Tencent has also shares on Epic with Sony, seems like both companies are making similar bets, they also loads of studios.
Tencent cannot freely invest in Japan, they are highly restricted. The only company I know of is Platinum but that is a private company and I'm not sure how much influence they have over it....

Top Bottom