• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top ten best-selling games on the original Xbox and Xbox 360

Only 1 non FPS for the 360 and no Gears is a bit of a surprise. I wonder how different it would be if was unit sales rather than dollar?

Mass Shift

So many CoDs... It's just me thinking that this is weird?

Nope, that was the Halo - COD era at its height. Bigger day one launches than the best box office summer block buster opening weekends. The 360 also ran the console table in North America.

So they just kept putting out COD, after COD, after COD.

Mass Shift

Wow
Halo was a very strong franchise. Lets hope Infinite will get back to glory.

Halo needs a spin off in it's own universe. The Chief and Cortana's storyline is beginning to drag and 343 is probably scared of fan blowback if they tried to suddenly end it.

So the best thing would be to spin off another Spartan Team in the same vein as Osirus. But instead of another FPS, maybe they should try a 2/3rd RPG for something fresh.

HeresJohnny

Nope, that was the Halo - COD era at its height. Bigger day one launches than the best box office summer block buster opening weekends. The 360 also ran the console table in North America.

So they just kept putting out COD, after COD, after COD.
There was so much more that made that system legendary; it’s sad to see looking back what it’s best sellers lists look like, because it has one of best lineups ever. But like you noted, that was the FPS era, which has now died down quite a bit. It’ll be interesting to look at a postmortem on the current systems’ libraries. I expect they’ll look markedly different.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
In fairness to the 360's sadsack list, those games each sold 10s of millions if I'm not mistaken. Plenty of excellent 360 games sold under that mark.

6 out of 10 of the top-selling Wii games are from the "Wii activity" series (Wii Play, Wii Fit, Wii Sports)

The 7th generation was when the FPS genre matured for consoles, third party devs had just learned how to correctly do "partial sticky aim" for analog contollers (mimicking Bungie's innovation), CoD games became an industry, and Xbox 360 was the best place to play them. It makes total sense if you look at it from a historical sense and not a modern-gen console fan's quick take.

PubG, Fortnight and other "winner-winner-chicken-dinner" clones will likely be the "highest grossing" games of this generation. Yet, that list would not be indicative -at all- of the average NeoGAF gamer's top 10 list of the amazing titles released this generation. And would similarly frame this generation and its Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo platforms in a -potentially- poor light.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

360 was the best place to play any multiplayer game, I played the shit out of halo 3 though. Man I really hope Microsoft gets the next xbox right I miss being on xbl.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
You can really see the takeover of realistic shooters over arcade shooters.
Huh? Most modern shooters feel more "arcade" than they've ever been, with XP and bonuses flashing in your center of view constantly.

I'd love a takeover of realistic shooters.

Oof, hurts my soul not seeing Ninja Gaiden on the OG Xbox list. And yikes, on the 360 list... COD on Xbox Live was the best place to play.

Havoc2049

Halo needs a spin off in it's own universe. The Chief and Cortana's storyline is beginning to drag and 343 is probably scared of fan blowback if they tried to suddenly end it.

So the best thing would be to spin off another Spartan Team in the same vein as Osirus. But instead of another FPS, maybe they should try a 2/3rd RPG for something fresh.

Noble Team jumps into action on December 3rd. Although the Master Chief does appear in Halo Reach as an Easter egg.
Halo-Reach-Art-1024x532.jpg

Other Halo games without the Master Chief:
Halo 3 ODST (FPS)
Halo Wars (RTS)
Halo Wars 2 (RTS)
Halo: Spartan Assault (twin stick shooter)
Halo: Spartan Strike (twin stick shooter)
Halo: Fireteam Raven (light gun game)

Havoc2049

Oof, hurts my soul not seeing Ninja Gaiden on the OG Xbox list. And yikes, on the 360 list... COD on Xbox Live was the best place to play.

The OG Xbox list starts to look really good when you include the Top 20. Then you start to see Ninja Gaiden, Knights of the Old Republic, Morrowind, Project Gotham Racing, Counter-Strike, Dead or Alive 3, etc. When you include the pack-in game sales, Jet Set Radio Future and Sega GT 2002 were also million+ sellers on the Xbox.

Yumi

Huh? Most modern shooters feel more "arcade" than they've ever been, with XP and bonuses flashing in your center of view constantly.

I'd love a takeover of realistic shooters.
Yeah I guess your right. In my head I group Halo, doom, quake, goldeneye, Etc seperate from COD, battlefield, rainbow six... Etc but now I'm realizing that's more an aethetics than gameplay.

My guess is the realistic aesthetic of COD had a broader appeal then the sci fi Halo.

Mass Shift

Noble Team jumps into action on December 3rd. Although the Master Chief does appear in Halo Reach as an Easter egg.
Halo-Reach-Art-1024x532.jpg

Other Halo games without the Master Chief:
Halo 3 ODST (FPS)
Halo Wars (RTS)
Halo Wars 2 (RTS)
Halo: Spartan Assault (twin stick shooter)
Halo: Spartan Strike (twin stick shooter)
Halo: Fireteam Raven (light gun game)

I did enjoy the two Halo Wars games, but I sort of pushed through the ODST experience. Reach's Noble Team was a great break from the usual Chief/Cortana dynamic.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A lot of good shooter options on 360 although you do sort of expect the exclusives to be the best selling, like on the original Xbox.

Guys Matts numbers have been revenue/dollar sales and not Unit sales for a long time now, if you're still excluding that from the thread title you're not only spreading misinformation but you're doing it on purpose, stop it.

(Not to mention he already posted this some months ago why is he doing it again?)

Top Bottom