• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 5 Greatest JRPGs of All Time

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Man I need to replay DQ8 someday. I remember when I first played I put points in wrong skills and got stuck at last boss lmao. Couldn't beat it.

Craziest part is after you beat the last boss there are these 4-5 optional bosses. Even though my friend and I were relatively powerful and handled the last boss fine, we had to grind a lot after beating the game in order to level up enough to beat the optional bosses.

Craziest part is after you beat the last boss there are these 4-5 optional bosses. Even though my friend and I were relatively powerful and handled the last boss fine, we had to grind a lot after beating the game in order to level up enough to beat the optional bosses.
I actually wanted to replay it just after Chrono Cross, but I bought a new tv (xh90) and can't get colours right from ntsc disc copy of the game... =_= on samsung tv from 8 years ago everything worked just fine, be it games from import or not.
Anyway yeah, I got it in plans :p Chrono Cross > DQ8 > Persona 4. In that order I think.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Final_Fantasy_V_Box_JAP.jpg

53b51cf1313aa0a4a8c06eb1dae42c0b.jpg

1845425-box_smtp.png

1569832324-1163870769.jpg

R6tWoa.gif
tumblr_p4ki5qIvBw1r84pkpo1_400.gifv

018b307d48aa659aadac498da1eee6eb.png

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I actually wanted to replay it just after Chrono Cross, but I bought a new tv (xh90) and can't get colours right from ntsc disc copy of the game... =_= on samsung tv from 8 years ago everything worked just fine, be it games from import or not.
Anyway yeah, I got it in plans :p Chrono Cross > DQ8 > Persona 4. In that order I think.

Ya this game needs a proper remaster/rerelease.

Gp1

Funny story re xenogears. When it time to switch to disc 2 my game would freeze as disc 2 was scratched so I never played disc 2. Always wanted to finish that game I loved it

The same here, but with Grandia. When i crossed the end of the world (the giant wall) my game froze every time. :(

chaseroni

How, exactly?
Oh man.
The story is a god damn mess. It lacks all of the FF characters that are really essential to KH's "Identity" to me. The worlds are inconsistent in quality, (I think the only one thats really excellent is Corona Kingdom). The voice acting has all these weird pauses in it that make II's dialogue sound like an HBO production by comparison. The lack of original worlds and the gutting of so much of traverse town. Then the combat is overloaded with all these gimmicks with attractions and other transformations that don't feel anywhere as satisfying as the previous entry. KHIII was one of the biggest disappointments of last gen for me.

Never got around to trying the DLC but I've heard some good things about it.

MeteorVII

Oh man.
The story is a god damn mess.

Kingdom Hearts 2 is a game with over 13 antagonists and literally not a single one of them has any defined motivation beyond “for darkness” or any actual development.

Please get this forced ass narrative that KH3 is somehow the first messy game in series the fuck outta here.

It lacks all of the FF characters that are really essential to KH's "Identity" to me.

There are still plenty FF elements in there in spite of the FF characters’ absence.

Just hearing Rex from Toy Story talk about fighting a Bahamut boss in a Square Enix RPG is everything that everyone loves about Kingdom Hearts.

Also, the DLC did put FF characters back in the game.

The worlds are inconsistent in quality, (I think the only one thats really excellent is Corona Kingdom).

Which, again, is the case for every KH game...

And what’s so bad about the other worlds? They’re 10x more open, longer and more immersive than any previous KH games’ worlds.

The voice acting has all these weird pauses in it that make II's dialogue sound like an HBO production by comparison.
Again. Typical JRPG nitpicks.

You’re really forcing it here.

The lack of original worlds and the gutting of so much of traverse town.

You mean Twilight Town. And if there is no story purpose for having original worlds in there, then we don’t need them. They don’t have half the charm of any of the Disney worlds, so naturally they prioritised the best and most appealing aspect of the series: the Disney worlds.

Then the combat is overloaded with all these gimmicks with attractions and other transformations that don't feel anywhere as satisfying as the previous entry.

You don’t have to use attractions. And you’re complaining about transformations? Huh? Were you complaining about them in KH2 as well?

More gameplay variety =/= “overloaded/bloated”

Never got around to trying the DLC but I've heard some good things about it.

I mean literally every one of your complaints here is addressed with the DLC, so I just basically wasted my time...

Last edited:

chaseroni

Kingdom Hearts 2 is a game with over 13 antagonists and literally not a single one of them has any defined motivation beyond “for darkness” or any actual development.

Please get this forced ass narrative that KH3 is somehow the first messy game in series the fuck outta here.

There are still plenty FF elements in there in spite of the FF characters’ absence.

Just hearing Rex from Toy Story talk about fighting a Bahamut boss in a Square Enix RPG is everything that everyone loves about Kingdom Hearts.

Also, the DLC did put FF characters back in the game.

Which, again, is the case for every KH game...

And what’s so bad about the other worlds? They’re 10x more open, longer and more immersive than any previous KH games’ worlds.

Again. Typical JRPG nitpicks.

You’re really forcing it here.

You mean Twilight Town. And if there is no story purpose for having original worlds in there, then we don’t need them. They don’t have half the charm of any of the Disney worlds, so naturally they prioritised the best and most appealing aspect of the series: the Disney worlds.

You don’t have to use attractions. And you’re complaining about transformations? Huh? Were you complaining about them in KH2 as well?

More gameplay variety =/= “overloaded/bloated”

I mean literally every one of your complaints here is addressed with the DLC, so I just basically wasted my time...
Your fukkn mad huh lmao. Sorry!

MeteorVII

I mean I agree with you that KHII is good but I disagree with you on III and you're taking it pretty harsh.
It's not that serious, its fucking Kingdom Hearts
Well your points on KH3 were just really thinly veiled and nonsensical. It felt like a waste of time to read. Sorry.

YukiOnna

It's always changing since there's so many. Not in any particular order:
Persona 3
XD0Dqr6.png

Pokemon Silver (although I love all generations)
1UtjMXB.jpg

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
e4nm48I.jpg

Final Fantasy XIV
pXgnTIj.jpg

Muramasa: The Demon Blade
hFCXnBB.jpg

Celine

They are. Nintendo is just pretending those games don't exist anymore to hide the creatively bankrupt new direction of the series.
The first 3 (though the third is way different compared to 1 and 2) are RPG, the latter PM games are adventure games.

There is nothing creatively bankrupt in The Origami King.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Spukc Spukc - Breath of Fire II

Is the game really that great? It's on Nintendo Switch Online for SNES and I played it for like 10-15 minutes but never knew people loved this game

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Here's mine, my list is not only based on quality, but mostly on memories, nostalgia, and fun I had playing these

1) Skies of Arcadia

61HcsoTWmhL._AC_SX466_.jpg

2) Tales of Symphonia

20180109_124740_350x200_1x-0.jpg

3) Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope

Star_Ocean_The_Last_Hope_cover.jpg

4) Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time

51N94A88CBL._SY445_.jpg

5) Tales of Vesperia

51HFY3Me6LL._AC_.jpg
Man, it feels so good to see some Star Ocean love on here. (y)

I would say that Star Ocean 3 barely missed making my top five.

Here's mine, my list is not only based on quality, but mostly on memories, nostalgia, and fun I had playing these

1) Skies of Arcadia

61HcsoTWmhL._AC_SX466_.jpg

2) Tales of Symphonia

20180109_124740_350x200_1x-0.jpg

3) Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope

Star_Ocean_The_Last_Hope_cover.jpg

4) Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time

51N94A88CBL._SY445_.jpg

5) Tales of Vesperia

51HFY3Me6LL._AC_.jpg
Putting Symphonia above Vesperia? Now that's a hot take... that I could agree with, if it's the original GC version for the former (60 fps, without all the useless additions and nerfs from the remakes) and the 360 version for the latter (without all the great improvements from the later releases).

Putting Symphonia above Vesperia? Now that's a hot take... that I could agree with, if it's the original GC version for the former (60 fps, without all the useless additions and nerfs from the remakes) and the 360 version for the latter (without all the great improvements from the later releases).

Yes, I have played the original GC version when it came out, and the original 360 version for Vesperia. I can't say which is the best game overall, but I enjoyed exploring Symphonia's world much more and I have the best memories

CAB_Life

FFVI, sure. I also really like FFVIII for its mature themes and romance.

KH as a series is incoherent gibberish to me, so I'm gonna disagree with you on those entries.

Edit: Also on my list, Koudelka/ SH and Vagrant Story.

Last edited:

Myths

Let's keep it subjective. I don't consider zelda a jrpg but if u do then put it in your list no worries
As long as the OP isn’t hounding others for the same reason, as it outright states people shouldn’t include those games in their list.

We’re going to list what we want anyhow. 🍻

1) Xenogears
2) Mass Effect Trilogy
3) Witcher 3
4) Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
5) Suikoden 1 & 2
6) Front Mission 3
7) FF7
8) Legend of Dragoons
9) Eternal Sonata

Haven't played FF7 Remake, Persona Golden Persona 5 Royal, Xenoblade series yet, so they could make my top 10.

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of good things about both Front Mission and Armored Core but have never had a chance to play either. What's the easiest way to play the games these days?

They are two completely different games. FM3 is a tactical game with two different scenarios. Armored Core is a 3rd-person shooter with weird controls.

Front Mission 3 can be played on the PSP, PS3 or the Vita, and can be purchased on the PSN online store. Personally, FM3 looks the best on my OG OLED Vita.

1)As are KH characters.

2) If you find generic weeb trash interesting, then yeah I guess they could be seen as more interesting than KH’s badass interpretations of Disney characters and its FF-inspired OCs.

3) Keyblades are a more distinct and interesting concept than anything in Dragon Quest.

They are about as far removed from typical braindead weeb shit that’s just made to “look cool and that’s it” as possible. They can simultaneously look silly and badass, have multiple functions, thematic purpose and fit in with the aesthetic of the world.

The buckles, baggy pants, zippers and spiky hair aren’t an anime thing. They’re an early 2000s thing. Which is a really cool and awesome aesthetic cause that was an awesome era.

4) Oh wow! CHARISMATIC characters! Amazing! ...Like...ok? Cool?

The Disney characters in KH are charismatic...

Fucking Cait Sith is charismatic...

I’ll take actual developed characters over “charismatic” characters any day.

And no, actually, it doesn’t have better game balance at all. This is straight up bullshit. You can basically break the game when you get the Blackjack by abusing Intangirs 1/3rd into the game.

And FFVII characters also have diverse motivations, so that argument is also null and void.

5) Wanting to beat a villain more =/= a better game.

And WOW!!! No way! He destroys the world?! That thing you have no connection to and practically provides no consequence to any of the major characters at all?

Yeah, that’s totally a better villain than the guy who kills one of the 4 main characters of the entire game; a romantic interest nonetheless...

6) What exactly was so divergent?
1) Does KH have anything like the bittersweet or bad endings of the villages in Dragon Quest VII? A mother feeding sacrifices to her cursed-to-be-a-dragon son in Dragon Quest XI?

2) If your idea of weeb is based on what a character looks like (I know, I used zippers/buckles as an example, but there are limits) instead of DBZ-esque wish fulfillment then sure.

3) Sora is a stock generic happy go lucky friendship protagonist. The girls are moeblobs. The keyblades, not to mention the zippers and buckles, maybe unique, but they're garish as hell.

4) They are more developed than 7's were (as of '97). And by charismatic I meant likable. I don't mind Disney characters, but some of their moments are just cringe.

Re: balance, FFVII has easier enemy encounters. Not to say FFVI was hard, but for the most part I had to either try or just plain screw up somewhere to die in FFVII.

5) You missed the point. Sephiroth may have killed Aeris, but Kefka: 1) killed countless innocents by poisoning a water supply, 2) killed one of the most noble characters, General Leo, and 3) killed millions by destroying the world. And the most important thing, he frigging killed hope. And that's what the second half of the game is about, finding hope in a deadened world.

6) You taking certain things so seriously here.

Top Bottom