• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 5 Greatest JRPGs of All Time

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
EvWyyljVcAIRxzQ

Screen 1 - incredible
Screen 2 - incredible

Kuranghi

I'm not a big JRPG guy so can't really add much but wanted to say that box art for Kingdom Hearts on PS2 is fucking excellent. Top art!

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Wow, you’re so cool and edgy for not liking things everyone else likes! Can you teach me to be more like you please senpai?

Really? The cast were so cute though. And it’s like a playable Studio Ghibli Film!
Op’s reply to my post: 🤮🤮🤮

lol I’m just saying I don’t like your list, that’s all. Not trying to be edgy or cool. I actually quite like kh1. I’d also put ff6 on number 1 of my list, with ff7 at number 2. I was just giving you a hard time, for laughs and fun, wasn’t trying to be a dick. I’m sorry, for what it’s worth.

MeteorVII

Op’s reply to my post: 🤮🤮🤮

lol I’m just saying I don’t like your list, that’s all. Not trying to be edgy or cool. I actually quite like kh1. I’d also put ff6 on number 1 of my list, with ff7 at number 2. I was just giving you a hard time, for laughs and fun, wasn’t trying to be a dick. I’m sorry, for what it’s worth.
Fair enough. 😂

MeteorVII

Yeah, I regret putting 2 games under one spot now...

Everyone’s gone nuts with it.

FFVII Original. That’s it. That’s my sole #1 now.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Final Fantasy VI
Xenoblade X
Chrono Trigger
Parasite Eve

My personal favorite is Revelations: Persona with FFIV and Final Fantasy X-2 right behind.

Other honorable mentions:
Phantasy Star IV
Breath of Fire IV
Thousand Arms
Xenogears
Saga Frontier
Legend of Mana

Final Fantasy VI
Persona 5
Final Fantasy IV
Persona 4 Golden
Lunar

This list would probably look completely different every time I make it. So many JRPGs I have strong ties to.

Nico_D

In no particular order:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Kingdom Hearts 2
The World Ends With You
Final Fantasy XV (yep)

I found Ni no Kuni beautiful and entertaining enough to finish it but a bit boring and meandering and Persona 5 was just too much - could've been one of my favorite games if it had been only about 50 hrs to finish. Xenoblade Chronicles was really boring for me, had to force myself to finish it.

mxbison

1. Valkyria Chronicles
2. Persona 5 Royal
3. Fire Emblem Three Houses

I haven't played many JRPGs but those are the ones I consider great.

Don't really bothered with a Top 5 , all I know is this game has to be in it

Shadow_Hearts_Covenant.jpg

Shadows Hearts 2 Covenant
I'm surprised this game didn't do better. I remember walking past those eyes looking up at me from the rack in Best Buy. Gave me all kinds of feelings. Purchasing feelings.

Anyway +1

Dunki

It does seem that way, indeed.

Thankfully I don’t need to ingratiate myself with JRPG fans by putting as many different series as I possibly can, I just pick the 5 I liked the most. Shocking concept, I know!

Yes of course but the TOP 5 JRPGS has triggered me XD Maybe MY Top 5 JTRPGS would have been better XD

Nico_D

what makes this game so good?

For me it was a real feel-good jrpg, like Atelier Ryza is but much hardee and "hardcore" jrpg. There's great persona-like systems, well-written characters and great music.

Sure, there's some padding and boring side quests and the story is mostly the usual jrpg affair - except for the character side quests which are even really good and bring depth to the characters.

No order
Wild Arms
220px-Wildarmscase.jpg

Xenogears
Xenogears_box.jpg

Vagrant Story
220px-Vagrantstorybox.jpg

Final Fantasy 7
220px-Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg

The Legend of Dragoon
220px-Legend_of_Dragoon.jpg

edit: well, yes in this order
Vagrant story's intro may be the greatest intro of all time. As an experience in gameplay though, I wasn't a huge fan. It was a clear inspiration for FF XII, which was awesome.

Also, seems like all your best memories were on PS1.

Chrono Trigger
Battle Chasers
Septerra Core

For me it's just those 3.
Battle Chasers?

Cool. Why?

Last edited:

MeteorVII

Kingdom Hearts has always been garbage. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug
This is always such a fucking braindead argument, since the presupposition is that the feeling of nostalgia is somehow detached from the actual qualities of the product — which is not the case. You could feel nostalgic BECAUSE the game is good and actually left an impact, not: “the game is good because it reminds me of something else that’s good...”)

Last edited:

Maogp

Vagrant story's intro may be the greatest intro of all time. As an experience in gameplay though, I wasn't a huge fan. It was a clear inspiration for FF XII, which was awesome.

Also, seems like all your best memories were on PS1.

Battle Chasers?

Cool. Why?
Yeah, PS1 wasn't my first console but it was the console where I started to play jrpg. For jrpg's it was an amazing system I think.

sublimit

Banned
Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI are the actual 2 most overrated video games ever made. Like, by any and all objective measure.

Both are good games (in the case of FFVI; it’s actually a very good game). But that is it.

The amount of fucking mental gymnastics edgy, unemployed middle-aged men are pulling to pretend these games are really anything special now is frankly embarrassing.

FFVII did every single thing those games did well approximately 1 billion times better and it only came out a few years later.
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

sackings

CT is the goat. If we are including KH...that just opens the door for soulsgames. Also going to exclude mmos...

1. Chrono Trigger
2. FF7
3. Xenoblade Chronicles
4. FF6
5. FF5

If we include KH... KH2FM is arguably the greatest ARPG on critical mode.

SinDelta

Lots of amazing choices. Still a lot I need to play...and finish. RPGs can be massive.

1 - Chrono Trigger
2 - 13 Sentinals Ageis Rim
3 - Xenoblade Chronicles DE
4 - The World Ends With You
5 - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

Special mentions
Skies of Arcadia Legend
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Kingdom Hearts
Persona 4 Golden
Dragons Crown Pro

Silvawuff

If we're kinda keeping loose with the theme I'd say my list is

FFVII
Skies of Arcadia
FFXI
Legend of Mana
Kingdom Hearts II

Off the top of my head.

Full disclosure, even for being the gaming nut I am, I've never played Chrono Trigger. Yup. I also have Persona 4 Golden and it's buried in the deepest dungeons of my backlog/collection.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
Paper Mario
Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
South Park: Stick of Truth

Can't think of anything else.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
SMT: Nocturne
SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2
Persona 3
Persona 5
Final Fantasy VIII

I have spent weeks, even months, lost in the above games and love coming back to them when the mood strikes.
Guess I really need to play the DDS games.

Was hoping for a remaster on the Switch when they announced Nocturne's, but maybe those are too obscure to be worth a remaster?

laynelane

Guess I really need to play the DDS games.

Was hoping for a remaster on the Switch when they announced Nocturne's, but maybe those are too obscure to be worth a remaster?
I'm thinking that if the remaster of Nocturne goes really well, it may open up the possibilities for more remasters of their older titles. The DDS titles are definitely on the obscure side, for sure, but worth playing if you like the gameplay and dark storytelling of SMT games.

Top Bottom