• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 5 Greatest JRPGs of All Time

Erdrick

Aside from its art style and enemy designs, there is literally nothing unique or interesting about Dragon Quest. It is the most generic, by-the-numbers JRPG series ever made.

Absolutely and utterly disagree with this statement.

The first 5 games alone offered things that had never been done on consoles before in JRPG's, so I'm not sure where this take comes from.

1 was the original JRPG on a console.

2 introduced multiple party members and enemies in combat

3 introduced the character class and job system

4 introduced the chapter and multi character perspective

5 to this day has one of the most unique methods of telling a story of any JRPG, let alone game, period. Never mind the monster caching element that was... 3 years before Pocket Monsters was even a thing in Japan.

And the games onward have continued to build on the foundation based on mechanics and designs such as this. Dragon Quest 9 was definitely one of the most unique games on the DS at the time. Did any other turn based JRPG's allow you to pair up with multiple friends and take on dungeons on a handheld at the time? Feel free to correct me and let me know, as I don't know of other games on the system that did that at the time. Hell, even DQ10... is there any other MMORPG's that were on the Wii at the time? Dragon Quest 11 S has literally 2 vastly different versions of the same game within. Do any other console JRPG's do this?

This isn't even taking into account the multitude of spinoffs and side games like Torneko's Dungeon, DQ Monsters, DQ Swords on the Wii or Heroes and Builders on modern consoles. While these concepts aren't unique in themselves in many of these cases, none of the inspired original works have the DQ charm or nostalgia that is a trademark of the series.

Dragon Quest shines because it gradually improves and respects it's audience. It is arguably the most consistent franchise I can think of in terms of quality games, since even a bad DQ game is still *good* and worth playing, I find. I like Final Fantasy as well, but it's kind of the opposite of DQ and is often all over the place in terms of what they want to do with it.

Oh, and to answer the question of the thread...

1) Dragon Quest III- The ultimate classic JRPG. Enix perfected their formula here and it's infinitely replayable and a classic for the ages. Legendary.

2) Dragon Quest XI- A love letter to the entire series up to this point and is like Dragon Quest 8 in terms of presentation but for modern day sensibilities. You can't go wrong with this.

3) Dragon Quest V- Never played this until 2009 but it's got one of the most intimate stories in all my years of playing games. It floored me that this was a game from 1992. Top-notch.

4) Dragon Quest IV- The chapter system was something never done before and for the first time on the NES, we had DQ characters with personality more than "YES" or "NO". Massive game at the time. Best 8-bit JRPG, bar none.

5) Dragon Quest IX- Spiritual successor to DQIII, it took the job class and ran with it for leaps and bounds. Downloadable quests, each item and equipment piece is reflected on your character, local multiplayer with friends to help beat that one hard boss... The story was touching and simple enough, but the real meat is the post game stuff that can last you for hundreds of hours. Best game on the DS for me.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
There is more to the game than the paper jokes.
And yes some of them are funny.

Is "paper jokes" all you've got as a retort against The Origami King?
It's not the most impressive game. Visuals are lovely, the writing and characters are entertaining but overall Paper Mario: The Origami King needs more substance. Intelligent Systems have been missing the mark for a while now if we're talking about the Paper Mario games. As much as I love the series and wish it were more stimulating, I could not recommend Paper Mario: The Origami King to any hardcore RPG fan. The story and adventure isn't strong enough, and the gameplay isn't fulfilling enough, at least not for someone like me who considers the first Paper Mario one of the greatest games of all time. The jokes in PM: TOK are probably the best thing about the game. I thought there was going to be much better exploration and all than there was in this game. At some points, Mario was literally restricted from going anywhere but forward. Those instances weren't just hand-holding, they were the developers firmly grasping the player's arm and forcing them to go a certain direction. You couldn't go back if you wanted to even though there felt like there might be some reasons just to go back and check / explore a little bit more before advancing

Bakkus

Is "paper jokes" all you've got as a retort against The Origami King?
Absolutely not. RPG elememts stripped away from battles. All locations looks generic as hell (and they all now are cardboard dioramas like....paper!), partners are gone. It's funny you also complain about me using that argument when every single place in the game has this in some capacity; Every single character now has those ugly paper outlines on top of their black outlines. That is not only embarrassing in how ham fisted it is, it also looks ugly as hell; You can't even jump without Mario curling like paper. Paper meta jokes is all I got as a complaint? Paper meta jokes is the entire freaking game! There is absolutely zero subtlety to it like it used to be when the series was still good.

Last edited:

guuub

Neo Member
Top 5 is toughhhh, but these stay with me the most.

Makes sense that most are from my teenage years. 14 year old me had way more time for these long @$$ games, and was far more impressed with the story telling.

FF7 original (remake was great too btw)
Chrono Trigger
Nier Automata
Pokémon (pick one)
Xenosaga ep1

I still love the idea of playing these games, but have a way harder time sticking with them through the end.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Changed my list after replaying Persona 5. Forgot just how great it was.
The Royal edition is even better and I highly recommend giving that a playthrough if you liked regular Persona 5.
Lots of adjustments to make the game better, cool new characters, a cool new ending and 3rd semester to play through, and so many new amazing tracks:

All of the improvements may even bump it up a spot on your list.

Last edited:

MeteorVII

The Royal edition is even better and I highly recommend giving that a playthrough if you liked regular Persona 5.
Lots of adjustments to make the game better, cool new characters, a cool new ending and 3rd semester to play through, and so many new amazing tracks:

Sorry I forgot to mention yeah it was the Royal edition I played!

And yes, all the improvements did indeed bump its place.

(The new opening sucks though. Wish they would’ve given you the option to have Wake Up, Get up, Get out There playing in the intro instead...)

Boneless

I have only managed to finish 4:
1) Final Fantasy VII (two or three times)
2) Chrono Trigger (two times)
3) Final Fantasy VII Remake
4) Final Fantasy XV

Played but not finished:
Lost Odyssey
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VIII
Persona 5

Celcius

°Temp. member
Sorry I forgot to mention yeah it was the Royal edition I played!

And yes, all the improvements did indeed bump its place.

(The new opening sucks though. Wish they would’ve given you the option to have Wake Up, Get up, Get out There playing in the intro instead...)
Ah, cool
I do like the new opening better though, but to each his own

laynelane

I've had Keep Your Faith on repeat in the Thieves Den. Love that track so much.

(And now I have it on repeat while I browse the forum lol)

Last edited:
Top 5
1. Chrono Trigger.
2. Xeno gears
3. Final Fantasy 7
4. Final Fantasy Tactics
5. Ogre Battle 64

In my opinion 99% of Jrpgs have not been good. Final fantasy 10 and everything after has just been downhill. Ever Since I discovered WRPGS basically.

Honorable mentions
Vagrant Story
Alundra
Illision of Gaia
Secret of Mana
FF6
FF4
FF8
FF9
Super Mario RPG
Wild Arms

PhaseJump

Banned
Kingdom Hearts is awful.

OP, take your pick and fuck off until you learn something.

Dragon Force
Dragon Quest 8
Suikoden 2
Ys Book 1 and 2
Shining the Holy Ark
Tactics Ogre
Shining Force 2
Phantasy Star 4
Chrono Trigger
Lufia 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Xenogears
Super Mario RPG
Wild ARMs 2
Lunar Silver Star Story
Grandia
Skies of Arcadia
Golden Sun
Etrian Odyssey
Parasite Eve

TheAssist

I havent even played that many JRPG's but its still hard to bring them in any order

5. Persona 4G and 5 (kind of on the same overall level, P4 has better characters, P5 has better gamepaly)
4. Final Fantasy 9
3. Final Fantasy 10
2. Final Fantasy 7 (currently playing through it, so I have a good comparison with Remake)
1. Final Fantasy 7 Remake

I know there are other good JRPG's series out there, but they take so god damn long to play through.

So if I was to play one Ni No Kuni game, should it be 1 or 2?

Edit: Amazing how some people dont understand the meaning of opinions. Guys, if OP likes KH its ok. People are entitled to like whatever the fuck they want and its not you job to convince them of their "wrong doing". Let other people enjoy stuff in life and leave you negativity at the door plz. Its fine to suggest other good games, but dont be a dick about it.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's easier for me to do a top 50 JRPG list than a top 5.

So here's mine:

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Persona 4: Golden
4. Suikoden II
5. Earthbound

Sophist

Chrono Trigger scenario is not that good, especially the dialogs where the hero only has one single line during the entire game. Compare Crono to Justin from Grandia to see how better Crono could have been.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Also, let’s not forget:

LXTzBiG.jpg
USb6SEI.jpg

Nocturno999

5. Shin Megami Tensei 4 : This game is even more mind blowing and insane than Nocturne. it begs for a Switch port with a better map system but this is Atlus.

4. Phantasy Star : Please get the Sega Ages version on the Switch. Aged like fine wine 30+ years later.

3. Suikoden 2 : Touching story with a great cast and villian.

2. Xenogears : Sadly this over ambitious project most likely will never get a remake.

1. Final Fantasy VII OG/Remake. Another game that is still fun to play after all these years. Remake is pushing the genre to new heights.

Honorable mentions. Panzer Dragoon Saga, Y's, Lunar Eternal Blue, Nocturne, Breath of Fire 3, Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy 4 and 6, Phantasy Star 2, 3 and 4, Dragon Quest 1 and 8.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Okay, autismo.

Any weeb into Disney crossover trash that never made any sense across 10+ game releases, and so much so that they claim they are top 5 of all time, forfeits any right to call somebody autistic.

If this place were REE, you would be heralded for your excellent taste in awful shit, then banned and doxxed. Since this is GAF, allow me to tell you to go fuck yourself, shake your hand, and honk while squeezing my nose like a clown instead.

Play those games I listed.

Top 5
1. Chrono Trigger.
2. Xeno gears
3. Final Fantasy 7
4. Final Fantasy Tactics
5. Ogre Battle 64

In my opinion 99% of Jrpgs have not been good. Final fantasy 10 and everything after has just been downhill. Ever Since I discovered WRPGS basically.

Honorable mentions
Vagrant Story
Alundra
Illision of Gaia
Secret of Mana
FF6
FF4
FF8
FF9
Super Mario RPG
Wild Arms

Why did you skip FF5?

Also, let’s not forget:

LXTzBiG.jpg
USb6SEI.jpg

Action adventures with RPG elements.

Only Zelda II would have counted.

Last edited:

Lethal01

1. Final Fantasy VIIREMAKE
2. Final Fantasy tactics
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Vagrant Story
5. Zelda: Breath of the WIld, Kingdom Hearts 3, Megaman Battle Network

NahaNago

I guess my list would be pretty generic
  • Final fantasy 7
  • final fantasy 8
  • final fantasy 9
  • chrono trigger
  • tales of vesperia

My honorable mentions would be
  • wild arms
  • rhapsody
  • final fantasy x
  • shadow hearts
  • shin megami digital devil saga games
  • mega man battle network
  • pokemon
That's about it. I did vaguely remember liking jade cocoon and the legend of dragoon but my memory is just too hazy on them.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

1 xenoblade chronicles
2 dragon quest echoes
3 Paper mario 1000 year door (not sire of it counts)
4 Pokemon gold
5 Octopath traveler

Not really big on jrpgs but i do like them from time to time

Top Bottom