• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 3 Game of the Year winners from 2003 to 2019, which games will be the top 3 from 2020?

Which game could be the big winner of the year?

• Total voters
The source of this list is GAME OF THE YEAR PICKS BLOG, almost every (if not every) award for every category is compiled here.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - 18 awards (including Awards 2004) / LUCASARTS
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 8 awards / NINTENDO
Call of Duty - 4 awards (including Awards 2004) / ACTIVISION

Half-Life 2 - 21 awards / VALVE
Halo 2 - 11 awards (including Awards 2005) / MICROSOFT
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 9 awards (including Awards 2005) / ROCKSTAR

Resident Evil 4 - 35 awards / CAPCOM
Shadow of the Colossus - 6 awards (including Awards 2006) / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
God of War - 4 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 40 awards (including Awards 2007) / BETHESDA
Gears of War - 34 awards (including Awards 2007) / MICROSOFT
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 26 awards / NINTENDO

Bioshock - 47 awards / 2K
Super Mario Galaxy - 45 awards (including Awards 2008) / NINTENDO
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 22 awards (including Awards 2008) / ACTIVISION

Fallout 3 - 69 awards (including Awards 2009) / BETHESDA
GTA IV - 39 awards / ROCKSTAR
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - 38 awards / KONAMI

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 111 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 30 awards / WARNER BROS
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 25 awards (including Awards 2010) / ACTIVISION

Red Dead Redemption - 111 awards / ROCKSTAR
Mass Effect 2 - 101 awards / EA
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 19 awards / NINTENDO

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 227 awards (including Awards 2012) / BETHESDA
Portal 2 - 58 awards / VALVE
Batman: Arkham City - 40 awards / WARNER BROS

The Walking Dead: The Game - 75 awards / TELLTALE
Journey - 57 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Far Cry 3 - 51 awards / UBISOFT

The Last of Us - 249 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Grand Theft Auto V - 160 awards / ROCKSTAR
Bioshock Infinite - 43 awards / 2K

Dragon Age: Inquisition - 134 awards / EA
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - 49 awards / WARNER BROS
Mario Kart 8 - 28 awards / NINTENDO

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 257 awards / CD PROJEKT RED
Fallout 4 - 58 awards / BETHESDA
Bloodborne - 31 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 165 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Overwatch - 102 awards / ACTIVISION
DOOM - 29 awards / BETHESDA

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 189 awards / NINTENDO
Horizon Zero Dawn - 52 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Super Mario Odyssey - 26 awards / NINTENDO

God of War - 198 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 135 awards (including Awards 2019) / ROCKSTAR
Marvel's Spider-Man - 16 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT

Death Stranding - 80 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Resident Evil 2 Remake - 78 awards / CAPCOM
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 59 awards / ACTIVISION

Pending.

Which games from this year could make the list? post yout thoughts and opinions!

Birdo

Banned
I would say Cyberpunk, but I have a feeling that it's going to be problematic to jurnos.

I'll say Animal Crossing, even though it's not eligible due to not being story driven.

CitizenX

Banned
You all sleeping on Half life, its the only title that actually is innovative and polished. The rest are same old gameplay with impressive detail.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
TLOU2 will be the critics' choice, Cyberpunk will probably be the peoples' choice.

Alyx probably deserves more, but hardly anyone can play it.

Last edited:
Critics goty lol what a joke but if Cyberpunk doesnt get delayed to 2021 it will be that along with tlou2 and Doom Eternal.

As for my top 3 this year so far its Doom Eternal, Ori and Desperados 3. I doubt Cyberpunk will release this year. It will probably be pushed to march next year.

Roberts

Death Stranding getting most awards in 2019? LOL.

This year it will be TLOU2 or Cyberpunk. Ori definitely deserves a few awards.

Last edited by a moderator:
CyberPunk without a doubt will snag every award possible
Of course it will not, you are saying Cyberpunk will win every award its nominated for.

It's going to be another split year, Cyberpunk and Last of Us 2 with the most wins. But FF:7R, Alyx and Ori will pick up a few.
TLOU2 will be the critics' choice, Cyberpunk will probably be the peoples' choice.

Alyx probably deserves more, but hardly anyone can play it.
I can see Cyberpunk having a clear lead in the people's choice awards. It will likely be a great game and being multiplat.

This is an area I can see Ghost picking up some awards as well.

Last edited:
Death Stranding getting most awards in 2019? LOL.

This year it will be TLOU2 or Cyberpunk. Ori definitely deserves a few awards.
Unfortunately I think Ori having technical issues at launch and the seemingly lack of discussion about the game compared with the first will result in it being overlooked.

iorek21

Persona 5R will probably not get anything because it’s a bulky remaster, but it deserves at least some mention.

As for actual rewards, I’d say it’s between CP2077 and TLOU2.

CP2077 can turn out very good, but it can also disappoint, so there’s still some doubt about it, but it will probably be praised by fans.
Meanwhile, TLOU2 will be the Soy Media’s favorite, so you can bet that it will win a lot of awards.

Despite that, it sucks that the second semester is so poor in contenders (Watch Dogs Legion and AC Valhalla have little chance).

Kadayi

Banned
Based on the overall press reaction to the 4 hours hands on they were given recently I fully expect CP2077 to hoover up a lot of awards. Firstly because the overall impression everyone had was extremely positive and secondly there wasn't any sense that there were a lot of crashes or bugs. The game has been story complete for over a year now, so CDP have essentially just been putting their time into making sure it runs optimally and smoothly for everyone. I think they're conscious that Albeit well received TW3 was a bit patchy in places at launch and they want to avoid that as much as possible with the first game in a new franchise that will most likely catapult them fully into Rock Star Territory.

Vawn

Banned
2017 was a ridiculous year - Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, RE7, Cuphead, Nier Automata, Nioh, Prey, Divinity OS 2, Hollow Knight and quite a bit more.

Most of those would at least be in my personal GOTY conversation most years.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The right answer is Doom Eternal but Cybeprunks sheer weight of it's presence will overshadow a lot. Unless that game totally bombs it'll likely be the front runner with TLOUII

I think it's premature to say that Cyberpunk will take it. There's a lot that could go wrong with so much going on in the game. TLOU2 is a tight and super polished package that we know is a hit with reviewers.

Abear21

Banned
Cyberpunk for me, the video game industry is like religion, we keep the faith, even with very little reason!

Edit: Oh shit, you wanted runner ups—TLOU2 will sweep up a million awards but be runner up and ready to step in if Cyberpunk gets pushed to ‘21

I didn’t play Animal Crossing but the impact of the release was crazy. Great timing with the pandemic and just one of those releases I think we’ll all remember 10 years from now so I’ll go with that. Haven’t played enough of anything else of that list to say.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I expect great things of Cyberpunk 2077. Same goes for FF7 Remake - can't wait until SE eventually lets me play it on my computer. Looks like Playstation guys had a blast with that.

My game(s) of the year though?

Screw your awards!!!!

Nico_D

Cyberpunk of course because it is the most hyped recent and not so recent thing. Whether it deserves to be one has nothing to do with it and personally remains to be seen.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I voted Animal Crossing.

I fucking hate Animal Crossing and cannot see the appeal, but it got stellar reviews and everyone and their dog seems to be playing it. Maybe I'm out of touch? Anyway, seems like GOTY material.

My personal GOTY would be Ghost of Tsushima by a large margin.

Beelzebubs

I'd have to say Half Life: Alyx due to the unique experience playing it compared to the relative safety and by the numbers gameplay in all the other options.

Fbh

Personally:
1. FF7 Remake
2. Doom Eternal
3. TLOU2.
.... they are also the only 2020 games I've played though.

Award wise I expect TLOU2 to take a lot of them though Cyberpunk might dethrone it if it lives up to the hype.
Business wise I doubt anyone will beat Animal Crossing. Can't beat that $60 price tag + more than 15 million sales + indie production values combo of some of these Nintendo franchises.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Last of Us II will be this year's Death Stranding, a love-or-hate game that wins the most awards because the people that love it really love it.

Cyberpunk could be a spoiler if it manages to fully live up to the almost impossible levels of hype. It will also have a big recency bias by virtue of coming out in November. My gut tells me it will fall a little short of the hype but still be great but it could go either way.

Half Life: Alyx will get some GOTY awards and probably come in third. It's a landmark game, a great comeback story, and a fan favorite, but the fact that it's VR, and earlier in the year means it's not gonna get the amount that Cyberpunk and TLOU get.

Lone Echo II could be a dark horse in terms of critical reviews but I don't think it's going to get the profile it needs to make the top 3 again because of VR.

Strategize

TLOU2 is a clear frontrunner, and I expect Cyberpunk to be aswell. Half-Life Alyx is a dark horse cause critics actually played it and mostly loved it.

But mostly the first 2, with a few awards sprinkled around here and there to other games.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
TLOU2 is a clear frontrunner, and I expect Cyberpunk to be aswell. Half-Life Alyx is a dark horse cause critics actually played it and mostly loved it
I think it has the highest user rating as well, although obviously it's a much smaller audience.

I think Alyx can eke out the third place spot for GOTY wins.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I voted Animal Crossing.

I fucking hate Animal Crossing and cannot see the appeal, but it got stellar reviews and everyone and their dog seems to be playing it. Maybe I'm out of touch? Anyway, seems like GOTY material.

My personal GOTY would be Ghost of Tsushima by a large margin.

So your actual vote is ghost of tsushima and you fukin hate animal crossing but because other people vote animal crossing you decide to vote animal crossing😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom