• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 Games of the Decade: Post and Discuss YOUR list!

Which was the best year of the decade software-wise?

• Total voters
Disclaimer: TAKE YOUR TIME, there's no rush :]

I'm finally done going through 10 years of game releases, all the years starting with 2010 to 2019. All to find out my own top10 games of the decade. Because let's be real, none of these construed lists from other websites are gonna satisfy anyone - and more importantly: It's fun to reflect on one's own past 10 years in gaming and find out what the best games were/are.

To make this thread a little more interesting, pls say a few (or more) lines about your own list. Discussion is also welcome, ofc, just keep it reasonable.

(If anyone wants to organize an actual voting for 'NeoGAF's Games of the Decade', pls do so, but as an extra thread 👍)

Anywhere, I'll make the start:

-----------
My Top 10 Games of the past Decade:

1.) Xenoblade Chronicles X
2.) The Last Guardian
3.) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4.) Xenoblade Chronicles 2
5.) Here They Lie PSVR
6.) Mass Effect 2
7.) Alpha Protocol
8.) Nier Automata
9.) Xenoblade Chronicles
10.) Portal 2

This was *tough*. I first listed all good games from each year. Then in round 2 I chose everything I would like to see in the top10. Then in round 3 I picked what I *really* wanted in the top10 ... and hat 20 games still. 🙈 Made some tough calls. Last victim to get cut was Assassin's Creed 4 :(

Anyway, yes, all three Xenoblade-games are there, but I couldn't imagine it sny other way. X1 was such a breakthrough on the Wii and had this more serious story. Xenoblade X did BotW before BotW existed. And X2 was less ambitious, but had the best, most likeable cast of characters ever, plus a fantastic villain, all with masterful voice acting and cutscene direction. Also the most fun comat I've ever had in a jrpg.

The Last Guardian is a game that's so great and unique that it feels like it fell through some dimensional rift where game development took an entirely different turn and actual creative freedom reigns supreme and gets high budgets - what a game. Some of the most genius environmental puzzles and a narrative presentation that denies all the Hollywood-aping cinematic games we're used to. This is a true video game experience as it ought to be.

Here They Lie is what made me fall in love with VR forever. The level of immersion was mindblowing, and unlike RE7, which is way too scary due to combat, the fact that HTL 'only' fucks with your mind made it bearable enough that I could enjoy this Lovecraftian horror journey. So many memorable scenes. And it's not just a walking sim. How fucking grear/scary is it when you're told the only way to not be noticed by monsters is to look at the ground - while you can hear them walk past you like 10cm between you and 'it'?!

Alpha Protocol is the most ambitious 'make your choice'-game. Mass Effect 2, while not as good as ME1, was still.such an engaging experience, and the finale was pure narrative hype. Nier Automata took me by surprise like most, and went from 'dat ass' to 'dat game' quickly. Lastly, Portal 2 was one of the best sequels ever and I even played the online-coop, something I usually hate. But it was fun! Oh yeah, BotW is there, too. It deserves the spot, really. Nothing that needs to be said about it anymore. Gonna be exciting if BotW2 can match that experience.

-----------
So that's my top10 of the decade. What's yours?

brian0057

Banned
Ok. First, some ground rules:
  • Only one (1) game per franchise.
  • NO [Insert meaningless marketing term here] Editions, Director's Cuts, remasters, or compilations permitted.
  • Remakes are allowed.
  • Standalone expansions are allowed.
  • Maximum of three (3) games per year.
I'll start:

Honorable mentions:
  • L. A. Noire.
  • Resident Evil: Revelations.
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.
  • Child of Light.
  • Sniper Elite III.
  • Styx: Master of Shadows.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X.
  • HITMAN.
  • Cuphead.
  • Resident Evil 2.
The List:
  1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
  2. Alien: Isolation.
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
  4. Metro: Last Light.
  5. Mark of the Ninja.
  6. Valiant Hearts: The Great War.
  7. XCOM: Enemy Within.
  8. Batman: Arkham City.
  9. Portal 2.
  10. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

SantaC

1. Dark Souls
2. Xenoblade 1
3. Witcher 3
4. YSVIII
5. Bloodborne
6. Tales of Graces F
7. Ni no kuni
8. Battlefield Bad Company 2
9. Dragon Quest XI
10. Bloodstained

Last edited:
1. Xenoblade
2. Binary Domain
3. 7th Dragon III
4. Yakuza 0
5. Puyo Puyo Tetris
6. Dragon's Crown
7. Freedom Wars
8. Bayonetta 2
9. Riddled Corpses EX
10. Valkyria Chronicles 4

SpiceRacz

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  2. Super Mario 3D World
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
  4. Cuphead
  5. Super Mario Odyssey
  6. Dark Souls 2
  7. Destiny
  8. Doom 2016
  9. Into The Breach
  10. Shovel Knight
Honorable mentions:

Apex Legends
Super Meat Boy
Luftrausers
DKC Tropical Freeze
Hotline Miami
Super Mario Maker
Axiom Verge
Dead Cells
Fez
The Talos Principle

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
  1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  2. Super Mario 3D World
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
  4. Cuphead
  5. Super Mario Odyssey
  6. Dark Souls 2
  7. Destiny
  8. Doom 2016
  9. Into The Breach
  10. Shovel Knight
Honorable mentions:

Apex Legends
Super Meat Boy
Luftrausers
DKC Tropical Freeze
Hotline Miami
Super Mario Maker
Axiom Verge
Dead Cells
Fez
The Talos Principle
This is my list as well. Except for maybe Destiny being up there. Everything else I agree with.

FeldMonster

1. Destiny
  2. TitanFall 2
  3. Mortal Kombat 9
  4. Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  5. Gears of War 3
  6. Killer Instinct
  7. Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
  8. Rage 2
  9. Evolve
  10. Doom 2016

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I will for now just list my top ten games, with one limitation, one per franchise (otherwise there would be four Mario games):
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Zelda Skyward Sword
3. Pikmin 3
4. Sonic Generations
5. Fire Emblem Fates Conquest
6. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
7. Yoshis Woolly World
8. Ittle Dew 2+
9. Mario Kart 8
10. Portal 2

Placement is a bit up for debate and it is sad that Yooka-Laylee barely misses out, but I think the list is fine this way.

molasar

Banned
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Stealth Inc.
Forza Horizon 3
Dead Space 2
Syndicate
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
Hotline Miami
Death Stranding
Xeno Crisis
Door Kickers: Action Squad

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: Games 01-07 are an excellent 9.5/10 and my game of the year for their respective year while games 08-10 are an excellent 9.0/10 and my game of the year for their respective year. The two honorable mentions are an excellent 9.5/10 and was tied with my game of the year but ranked a spot lower which in turn, makes them the runner up.

01. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (2015)
02. The Last of Us (2013)
03. God of War (2018)
04. Horizon Zero Dawn (2017)
05. Days Gone (2019)
06. Splinter Cell Conviction (2010)
07. Batman: Arkham City (2011)
08. Assassin's Creed Rogue (2014)
09. Far Cry 3 (2012)
10. Rise of the Tomb Raider (2016)

Honorable Mentions:
01. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (2013)
02. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (2017)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, did I do something wrong? I made a similar thread about 2 hours before this one started and it was ignored. Put a lot of work in there, too. Not sure if this is a subtle 'we don't want you here' or not. Kinda depressed/confused right now tbh.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Just going off games that I actually sunk a ton of hours into, 100 minimum. I go w my gut when it comes to these kinds of things. Also, as a blanket statement I consider the sound design and the music in all of these games to be top-notch.

Breath of the Wild - best open-world since Minecraft. Monolith is one of the best 3D map builders of all time. A peaceful game that seriously mellows me out. Charming NPCs that finally get to exist within a living world. The best 3D Zelda. The most mythic Zelda.

Bloodborne - unique setting/lore, genuinely creepy, slick combat. It's the complete package, the Super Metroid of this generation. I doubt even a sequel could recapture the spark this had. I even loved the chalice dungeons, a flawed but admittedly-neat idea that attempted to introduce roguelike elements into the Soulsborne family.

Monster Hunter 4U - perfection of the "old style" of MH. If you haven't been basarios-bombing to glitch for those Earth Crystals, then you haven't put enough hours into this game.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - took a really good Mario Kart game and became the best Mario Kart game of all time. Great tracks and music selection, and a proper battle mode, finally. Must-have racer of the past decade.

Metal Gear Solid 5 - endless 1980s action movie sandbox simulator. You can tackle things serious or goofy. It feels like playing G.I Joes. Cheesy.

Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2 - so many countless hours invested into this gem (probably my #2 total hours of all time). It muscled onto the scene with an amazing art/animation style. The combat is a bit simplified from XX ^ Core, but arguably they've streamlined it into something better. The cast of characters has never been better nor more closely-matched.

Spelunky (2012 remake) - nailed the roguelike-platformer formula right off the bat.

Diablo 3 - best action roguelike I've ever played.

Super Mario 3D World - best 3D Mario platformer I've ever played.

EDIT: oops I only had 9. Puyo Puyo Tetris would be my tenth. Sunk at least 500 hours solo plus hundreds more playing with friends. Solid gold puzzle game that everyone should have on their shelf.

EDIT 2: I cut out MHW and replaced with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which I've spent more time with and would value more highly.

Minecraft gets bumped off the list for being just a bit too old. Ketsui Deathtiny gets bumped off the list for not quite having 100 hours invested.

Last edited:

Eimran

Uncharted 2
Batman Arkham City
Grand Theft Auto V
Ni No KunI
Dying Light
The Last of Us
God of War
Red Dead redemption 2
Metal gear Solid V
Dragon Quest XI
Skyrim

Honorable mentions:
Spider-Man
Assassin's Creed: Black Flag
Sleeping Dogs
Portal 2
Mortal Kombat 9
Dishonored
Infamous 2
South Park the stick of truth
Skate 3
Max Payne 3

ROMhack

Doos Ex Human Rev
Nier Automata
Soma
INSIDE
The Talos Principle
The Stanley Parable
Breath of the Wild
LIMBO
Shadow of Colossus Remake
Kentucky Route Zero

intbal

1. Dying Light Enhanced Edition
2. Enslaved
3. Dishonored
4. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
5. Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga
6. Crysis 2
7. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
8. Alan Wake
9. PUBG
10. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Also,
Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Cheater.

vypper

Neo Member
In no particular order :

-Dark Souls
-Bloodborne
-Sekiro
-Hollow Knight
-The Witcher 3
-Resident Evil 2 Remake
-Nioh
-Monster Hunter World
-Persona 5
-Nier Automata

mcz117chief

I think, right now, 2011

We got Final Fantasy XIII-2, Shogun 2 Total War, Dead Space 2, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, Mass Effect 2, Bulletstorm, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD...

In no specific order:

Witcher 3
Divinity Original Sin 2
Mass Effect 2
Uncharted 4
Batman Arkham City
Dishonored 2
Dying Light
Borderlands 2
Bioshock Infinite
Deus Ex Human Revolution

June

1. The Walking Dead: Season 1
2. The Last of Us
3. FIFA 16
4. Dishonored 1
5. Star Wars: Battlefront 1
6. Watch Dogs 1
7. Valiant Hearts
8. The Walking Dead: Season 2
9. Virginia
10. Overwatch

Shout out to: Deus Ex: Human Revolution; The Swapper; The Banner Saga 1; Portal 2.

My list leans toward narrative and stealth, with room for multiplayer and puzzles, I guess.

Some of the big name regulars are absent because open world design has been a plague in the AAA sphere this gen.

Last edited:

Handel

Any list I make now will probably change a lot as I still have a ton of games to go through including some big ones like BOTW(want to play it close to BOTW2 release) and Disco Elysium.

Currently my list would be something like, not definitely in this order except TLG:

1. The Last Guardian : My second favorite game of all time, this game is just a magical experience combining the best elements of Ico and SOTC. Trico is the best AI gaming has ever produced, I'll never forget the bond we forged.

2. God of War(2018) : Atreus is what elevates this game to masterpiece status, it is everything I wanted TLOU to be. Watching him develop as a character and as a companion in battle made me actively proud, invisible invincible AIs like Ellie and Elizabeth can't compare.

3. Dragon's Dogma : The combat/classes in this game are just unmatched by anything out there, the only game that has the feel of real time D&D/PF combat.

4. Divinity : Original Sin 2 : A jam packed CRPG experience. Stellar tactical combat, solid to amazing character origins that have such attention to detail, a great variety of optional quests, etc. The best coop RPG experience out there, and one of the best of RPGs of all time. I'll never forget how the Shadow Prince raged when I summoned my dragon son in the fight against him as the Red Prince.

5. Bloodborne : I'm not a giant fan of the Souls games, but Bloodborne is certainly a masterpiece. Atmosphere is one of the key elements for me in a game, and Bloodborne was exceptional in this regards with its Victorian and gothic settings. The combat was much more engaging to me than the Souls games, with it's faster pace and better mixup of melee, ranged and magic.

6. Mass Effect 2 : While I think it's inferior to and a step back from ME1 in multiple ways, it's companion missions alone are enough to endear it to me. Mordin and Tali especially are two of my favorite all time companions.

7. Brothers : A Tale of Two Sons : Growing up in game form, with a unique control scheme that culminates in the single greatest moment of gameplay-story integration ever.

8. League of Legends : As much as I can hate it, I have sunk more time into this game than any other in my life. So many awesome champions, updates every season to not only them but the map, items and general gameplay that keep it just fresh enough, cosmetics worth buying due to quality+otherwise being a F2P game, amazing cinematics and music associated with it in the last few years, etc. It's the biggest game in the world for good reason.

9. Halo : Reach : The best entry in the franchise, taking all I already loved about the franchise and giving it the best overall narrative of the franchise. Loved the multiplayer as well, despite some annoying new stuff like armor lock.

10. Dragon Age : Inquisition: Even hampered by the MMO-like design elements, this game is still great and worthy of it's GOTY title. A stellar cast of both direct party members and supporting characters, including arguably the best character Bioware has ever created in Solas. Lots of further fleshing out the Dragon Age world which is probably my favorite setting in gaming. A change in gameplay that takes awhile to get used to but is surprisingly good once you get the hang of it. Some new interesting concepts like the war table and sit in judgements. Trespasser is one of the best DLCs of all time and it's a crime that Bioware/EA keep fucking over this series.

IKSTUGA

Let's see:

1. Devil May Cry V
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Hearthstone
4. Diablo 3
5. Nier: Automata
6. The Witcher 3
7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
8. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
9. Pokemon X & Y
10. Ultra Street Fighter IV

Honorable mentions: Ori, Undertale, RE2R, Mario Maker 2, SFV: AE, Wolfenstein: the New Order, Shadowverse, the other pokemon games, Mario Odssey, Breath of the Wild (currently playing!) Metal Gear Rising, Mass Effect 3 (for multiplayer), MTGA, Luigi's Mansion 3, Final Fantasy XIV (just started with this!), Destiny (taken king), Rock Band 4, AC4: Black Flag and Axiom Verge

Last edited:
Handel Handel Nice, another person who thinks ME1 is better than 2 :] What's your reason? For me it's that ME1 was a bonafide rpg whereas ME2 leaned to hard into the shooter genre. Always hate people say 'it made shooting much more fun' and I'm like '... but my biotic powers suck now :/'. Also the music of ME1 is just perfect.

Yoshi Yoshi See, get to playing ME1 ffs.

IKSTUGA

Handel Handel Nice, another person who thinks ME1 is better than 2 :] What's your reason? For me it's that ME1 was a bonafide rpg whereas ME2 leaned to hard into the shooter genre. Always hate people say 'it made shooting much more fun' and I'm like '... but my biotic powers suck now :/'. Also the music of ME1 is just perfect.

ME1 is pretty magical, I've beaten it like 9 times and done pretty much everything you can do in the game. Music is definitely one of the best parts, it fits the whole theme of the game so well. I actually bought the cd as well.

Still, I prefer 2. The story elements are just too strong. The improved gameplay also made it a lot more fun to play. Both games are 10/10 in my books.

Handel

I find it to be a more complete experience due to it having a well written and well paced main story that led up to one of the best cinematic endings in all of gaming, with a meaningful final boss unlike ME2's travesty. That it had two compelling villains in Sovereign and Saren to ME2's more lackluster/ambiguous villains is a great boon to that story difference. Axing things like the Mako and planet exploration was also a bad choice, those things were fun and fit the setting just needed to be improved upon not removed and replaced with dumb planet scanning minigames.

ME1 is an epic scifi adventure, ME2 is more like a scifi drama. Sense of mystery and scale was severely toned down.

I find it to be a more complete experience due to it having a well written and well paced main story that led up to one of the best cinematic endings in all of gaming, with a meaningful final boss unlike ME2's travesty. That it had two compelling villains in Sovereign and Saren to ME2's more lackluster/ambiguous villains is a great boon to that story difference. Axing things like the Mako and planet exploration was also a bad choice, those things were fun and fit the setting just needed to be improved upon not removed and replaced with dumb planet scanning minigames.

ME1 is an epic scifi adventure, ME2 is more like a scifi drama. Sense of mystery and scale was severely toned down.

Wanted to 'like' your posting, but then you hated against the human reaper. Loved that. 🤷‍♀️

It's a cool concept for a boss but fails as a final boss. Especially coming off of Saren.

Narratively? Yes. As a fight, however, both are kinda underwhelming. Fighting Saren in that tiny space. The HR being so passive. I'm just sad about the mindfuck-potential of a further explored HR concept. Was already imagining Shepard using a HR to pilot it like an EVA from NGE and fight reapers on their turf.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

ME3 was dreadfully terrible in terms of gameplay and story, one of the worst games I have ever played, excuse me if I am not rushing to play ME1. But as I told you before, when I have cleared my backlog, I will do it.

BigBooper

Mount and Blade Warband - I don't know who I'd recommend this to, but if you like sandbox battle simulation, this was one of the most fun games I've ever played. Eventually you peel back the layers of this onion and reveal a huge grind, but I loved getting there and am very excited for the sequel.

Total War Shogun 2 - This is my favorite Total War game, but also it's great simply as an RTS or a TBS and the combination of the two works perfectly. It's one of the most beautiful games I've seen.

Hitman 2 - This is a little bit of a cheat I guess, because I also have all of the Hitman 1 levels in here. The levels are extremely highly detailed and there's a ton of different ways to make your hit. This is also a negative in a way, because of there being so much freedom, it also makes it a bit easier than previous games, but you can make it as easy or as hard as you want.

Kerbal Space Program - I haven't gotten deep into any simulation games in a very long time, since maybe The Incredible Machine if you'd call that one. KSP just feels awesome when you stick with it for a while. It feels like you're a rocket designer and you've solved space travel when you are making your return trip from the Mun.

Witcher 3 - I imagine this will be on a lot of people's lists, so I won't go deep. I've never played an Action or RPG game that felt this much like a real place.

Bloodborne - There's no game I can think of where I can remember so vividly the way it made me feel as I traveled through the levels. Bloodborn oozes character and it's amazing to me that someone could even design such a game.
The combat and the weapons perfectly match the atmosphere of the world also. I really would like to see a remaster with better performance, probably more than any other game.

If I think of four more, I'll add them later.

Last edited:
Didn't this get posted before?

I have a different top 10 every week it seemas. :LOL:

Absolutely loved Binary Domain, 7th Dragon III, Stella Glow and even Tokyo Xanadu recently.

2017 was definitely the best year for top Japanese games.

Ten_Fold

1. Zelda Breath of the wild- Game is just simply amazing, soo many cool tricks you can do and you can play the game the way you want to.

2.Bloodborne- I dont like Sony's major first party games, but this game was really good, the pacing felt soo good and the game brought a good challenge where I'm not just pressing one button all day you do got to pay attention especially if you haven't played any souls games.

3. Ultra Street Fighter 4- Not a big fan of sf5,as it feels soo limited, but I put soo much time into the sf5 series went to locals and placed pretty well went to small tournaments and god pretty far, I felt the game had a good appeal to hardcore and casual.

4. Gears of war 3- Probably one of the last shooters I sat down and played for hours and hours with a close friend on split screen I enjoyed it more than the first 2 games.

5. Marvel vs Capcom 3- I have a big love hate with this game, but it's one of the most hype games to come out of the 2010's and no fighter released recently got the same amount of hype.

6.Final Fantasy 14- The game is really good, better than 13 and 15 imo, if you want to only play the story you can or you can team up with people. I haven't played much because I don't wanna pay to play for something I play everyone once in a while, but it's still one of my favorites.

7. Nier automata- Just a really solid game.

8. Zelda Skyward Sword- One of my least favorite Zelda games but I still enjoyed it a lot.

9. Xenoblade Chronicles 2- Havent finished it but very, close and I think the game is really, really fun.

10. Dragon Quest 11- I feel like I was really missing a good turn based jrpg and this game is soo long that you really feel you got your money's worth in an age where you can finish a $60 dollar game in a few hours.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
This is tough as hell. Those last 10 years we're very nice, and maybe 2010 was the year that I had the most fun of it

Bayonetta
Mega Man 10
God of War III
Assassins's Creed Brotherhood
GoldenEye remake
Pokémon Black/White
Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth
Red Steel 2
Red Dead Redemption
Kirby Epic Yarn
Donkey Kong Country Returns

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I have to know the story behind this one.
In my book, one of the worst stealth games ever made and the worst in the Splinter Cell series.

Personally, I loved the game. Played the original SC and PT before Conviction and they're great games but no better than in the 8 range for me. Tried playing Chaos Theory after Conviction and just nope. Just too slow, boring and outdated for me in comparison to Conviction.

Loved pretty much everything in Conviction. The story, characters, levels, level design, visuals, gameplay, great cover system system, great stealth, great voice acting and music. The interrogations were also great but did get worse with each one but still good overall.

My only negatives were the "last known position" aspect which should have had an "off" option as I didn't like it at all. And while I loved mark & execute, it should have been 1 for 1 in regards to stealth takedowns. So for example, if a gun had three slots for mark & execute, you should have had to do three stealth takedowns to get access to all three slots.

Also, I loved the Deniable Ops with Archer. Those were so much fun and challenging. Always wanted a sequel to Conviction with Archer as the lead and be called "Meddigo" since that seemed to be the name of the group behind it all.

Funny thing is that Blacklist (which majority loved) was just a good 7.0/10 game for me. Didn't like it all that much at all. Controls/cover system was changed. Story and characters pretty much sucked and made no sense. Kobin is working with Third Echleon, oops, I meant Fourth Echleon. Only positive I had was the antagonist who was on the TV show 24.

Give me Conviction 2 UBISOFT!!!!

brian0057

Banned
Personally, I loved the game. Played the original SC and PT before Conviction and they're great games but no better than in the 8 range for me. Tried playing Chaos Theory after Conviction and just nope. Just too slow, boring and outdated for me in comparison to Conviction.

Loved pretty much everything in Conviction. The story, characters, levels, level design, visuals, gameplay, great cover system system, great stealth, great voice acting and music. The interrogations were also great but did get worse with each one but still good overall.

My only negatives were the "last known position" aspect which should have had an "off" option as I didn't like it at all. And while I loved mark & execute, it should have been 1 for 1 in regards to stealth takedowns. So for example, if a gun had three slots for mark & execute, you should have had to do three stealth takedowns to get access to all three slots.

Also, I loved the Deniable Ops with Archer. Those were so much fun and challenging. Always wanted a sequel to Conviction with Archer as the lead and be called "Meddigo" since that seemed to be the name of the group behind it all.

Funny thing is that Blacklist (which majority loved) was just a good 7.0/10 game for me. Didn't like it all that much at all. Controls/cover system was changed. Story and characters pretty much sucked and made no sense. Kobin is working with Third Echleon, oops, I meant Fourth Echleon. Only positive I had was the antagonist who was on the TV show 24.

Give me Conviction 2 UBISOFT!!!!
Huh... that's pretty interesting. The slow and methodical pace of the previous games is what makes them such masterpieces in my eyes.
I love how every level is like a puzzle, where every mistake you make could be your last, instead of the shooting galleries Conviction ultimately devolves into. That's why I view Blacklist as the better of the two games (although still inferior to the first four games): it gives you a multilayered map with numerous possible paths, multiple ways to take down your enemies, both lethal and non lethal, or to avoid them altogether.
Conviction just gives you a gun and a rifle that may or may not be silenced and that's it. It's just so generic. If I wanted to just shoot things in third person with a focus on stealth, I'd rather play Sniper Elite V2 and III.

I despise the Mark & Execute in both games. It's way too OP. But, the Last Known Position? I honestly don't mind. It makes sense in a stealth game but the heavy emphasis on action of Conviction makes it a simple gimmick.

As for the co-op? Those have always been great in the series, with Double Agent being my favorite.

GymWolf

not in a particular order and i'm the worst with making lists so i'm probably forgetting many games

dishonored
dishonored 2
horizon zero down
yakuza 0
max payne 3
gow 2018
monster hunter world
overwatch
dying light
tlou or rdr2 maybe

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
In no particular order:

Dark Souls
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
Bloodborne
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Witcher 3
Rime
Yakuza 5
The Last Guardian
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Dragon Quest XI

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Huh... that's pretty interesting. The slow and methodical pace of the previous games is what makes them such masterpieces in my eyes. I love how every level is like a puzzle, where every mistake you make could be your last, instead of the shooting galleries Conviction ultimately devolves into. That's why I view Blacklist as the better of the two games (although still inferior to the first four games): it gives you a multilayered map with numerous possible paths, multiple ways to take down your enemies, both lethal and non lethal, or to avoid them altogether. Conviction just gives you a gun and a rifle that may or may not be silenced and that's it. It's just so generic. If I wanted to just shoot things in third person with a focus on stealth, I'd rather play Sniper Elite V2 and III.

I despise the Mark & Execute in both games. It's way too OP. But, the Last Known Position? I honestly don't mind. It makes sense in a stealth game but the heavy emphasis on action of Conviction makes it a simple gimmick.

As for the co-op? Those have always been great in the series, with Double Agent being my favorite.

I enjoyed the slow and methodical pacing of SC and PT but that was BEFORE Conviction. After Conviction, just too slow, dull and boring for me. After Conviction, stealth has to be more action oriented and faster paced. For example, stealth in the new AC games or Horizon Zero Dawn or even Ghost Recon Wildlands where you can take your time and be methodical but it doesn't feel that way as you're playing. I would sometimes take 30+ minutes to clear out a fort in AC Origins/Odyssey but never do I feel like im being restrained or going at a snail's pace. Plus and correct me if im wrong on this but in SC and PT, once you get detected, didn't you have to start over? If so, that's just a no no for me nowadays. If I get detected, it should progress into what it should be - a shootout or for some games, melee combat. The instant fail upon detection is just a hell no for me.

The difference though with Conviction is that story wise, you're a Man who's looking for your daughter's killer and let's be honest, if you're a Sam Fisher, you don't need stealth and to go slow because all those muscle men nobodies simply don't stand a chance. In Conviction, you simply want revenge and the gameplay and combat completely fits in with what the story and premise is about. Plus, he's not working for Third Echleon anymore and is only pulled in because Grim has info on his daughter's killer so he helps.

Also, the "point system" in Blacklist which if I remember correctly was split into three tiers was just stupid. It's simply not what I wanted, didn't fit in my opinion and was just tacked on. Just remembered, also hated the cargo plane that was my base. So fucking dumb. Flying around and yet not one terrorist was able to shoot me out of the sky despite flying around throughout the game. Simply didn't like any of it.

Blacklist was just so boring and dull to me. First, hated that they changed Third Echleon to Fourth Echleon because like, what's even the point? Just changing the number? Makes no sense. Second, controls and cover system was worse compared to Conviction. Third, there's no Michael Ironside who should have done the voice over regardless of whether or not he's doing motion capture. To me, if there's no Ironside, then there should be no Sam Fisher. Time for a new lead Splinter Cell which on a side note would have been my plan for SC.

Plan wise, after Conviction, I would had the next game with Fisher as the lead but Archer is with you and yes, he would still be alive and well. Archer would carry out a few of the missions kind of like Fisher is grooming him. From what I remember, the group behind everything in Conviction was referred to as "Meddigo" so once the game after Conviction concludes all that, the game after that would have simply been Splinter Cell 2. You may be saying that there was an SC 2/3/4/5/6 but technically there wasn't. Each had a sub name and was never referred to as SC 2/3/4/5/6.

The reason why it would now be called Splinter Cell 2 would be due to you playing as the second Splinter Cell being Archer who had a good voice actor and some good one liners in Deniable Ops. Plus, I would have had Fisher in Campbell's role with Grim returning as well in her normal role. Keeps the core intact with a new Splinter Cell but could be a little more fast paced due to Archer being younger and faster but just as deadly.

Back to Blacklist after that side note. Fourth, all the areas were during the day where as in Conviction, majority if not all of them except for COD type chapter were at night time. What Splinter Cell is going to go head in camps and forts and whatnot in broad daylight? Just makes no sense to me. Fifth, Kobin is helping me??? Seriously, WTF??? A potential good antagonist is turned into pure garbage locked in a cage helping me like a wimp. Come on. I could probably add a few more if I actually remember the entire game which I don't. LOL. And I have zero interest in replaying the game. Once was more than enough for Blacklist.

Back to Conviction. Yeah, it's more focused on shooting than stealth but your character (Fisher) isn't looking to take his time. He's looking to eliminate anyone and everyone in his way by any means necessary. Story and character wise, the gameplay and combat simply fit in way better in Conviction than what Blacklist was overall. In Blacklist, I have to avoid sniffing/attacking dogs in stealth despite it being broad daylight and having to do slow. Just no.

I loved the mark & execute feature in both games but I will agree that it was overpowering which is also why I said that it should have been one M&E for every stealth kill. Would have added challenge, strategy and more stealth to the game without ruining the faster pacing and more fluid action of Conviction. I hated the "last known position" because all you had to do was get that to appear, circle around and could kill everyone in both games. The AI was programmed to focus on the "ghost" instead of looking for the actual human being in the game. Just simply hated it.

Don't play online whatsoever so I never played the co-op in Conviction. I did try it once using two controllers split screen but that last maybe 10 minutes if that. I did watch it though back then since it was the prologue to the main game and it looked very good.

Top Bottom