• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 Current Gen Games (Likely) Coming To Next Gen

Tqaulity

While we all await to see and hear the next gen game lineup from both Microsoft and Sony, we can also expect to see a good number of current gen titles at or near launch as well. These titles will likely have a specific "next gen" update developed for them but whether they are deployed via smart delivery with a simple patch or a separate edition to repurchase remains to be seen. Several titles currently available obviously stretched the limits of what current generation hardware can do and were developed with scalability to next gen in mind. So without further ado, here are top 10 current gen games you can expect to see on next gen at (or near) launch:

10. Control (2019) - PS5, XBSX
220px-D1IOd0BWsAAiX5T.jpg

Considered one of the best looking games of 2019 across all platforms and one of the first commercial titles released supporting Nvidia's RTX ray-tracing GPUs, this one seems like a no brainer for next gen. Remedy has already hinted at a release on next gen consoles in late 2020 so I expect this one to be confirmed in the near future. The gulf between the current gen versions and a high end PC sku is fairly large on a technical level so there is much room for improvement in the move to next gen. Increased graphics fidelity, native 4K, and ultra fast loading times are a given. Also, expect this one to be one of the early poster children for Ray Tracing on the next gen consoles.

9. Gran Turismo Sport (2017) - PS5
GT_Sport_cover_art.jpg

As one of the best supported titles released this entire generation with tons of post launch content and knowing the role that Gran Turismo typically plays at PlayStation console launches, I'd expect this to be at the PS5 launch in some updated form. Sony has already shown GT Sport running in a much supped up spec several times over the years so this doesn't seem too far fetched. There has been some talk of a full on GT 7 at PS5 launch but I'd bet that GT 7 may still be at least a year out from launch. With GT Sport still being a living and active online game and the game being known for using higher end assets than the PS4 can handle during development, again this one just makes sense. Since we didn't see the full native 4K on PS4 pro, expect at least that bump in resolution for PS5. But also, with Kazunori Yamauchi (CEO of Polyphony Digital) talking much about the importance of framerates recently, I wouldn't be surprised if GT Sport is one of the few (if not the only) title to push for a 120 fps mode at the PS5 launch as well.

8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) - PS5, XBSX
220px-CallofDutyModernWarfare%282019%29.jpg

Another one of the best looking games of the generation and one of the early titles to support ray tracing on Nvidia's RTX, this one seems extremely likely to get ported to PS5 and Xbox Series X as a next gen launch title. The release of Call of Duty Warzone has just reinvigorated the game and opened it up to a wide audience so this one will still be very relevant come next gen launch. With this title being so well optimized on current gen already running at near 4K/60, I would not be surprised if this one pushes a 120 fps mode as well (probably at 1080p of course). An enhanced version with native 4K/60fps (minimum), Ray tracing ported from PC version, and a potential high frame rate mode at 120fps would be great incentive for folks to upgrade!

7. Metro Exodus (2019) - PS5, XBSX
apps.17469.65642028844779555.c518e652-fc85-4d6e-99a2-3e9ae1656a91.6cace333-df13-4178-a46d-5938de4654a2

Yet another one of the best looking titles released this generation and one of the best implementations of Ray Tracing on PC, it would be fitting to see Metro Exodus ported to next gen consoles in time for launch. While the high end PC version looked great and well beyond the current gen consoles, many people were unable to see the game in all of it's ray traced glory since many lacked the hardware required to run it. Having a fully enhanced Metro Exodus port of the high end PC experience (including Ray Tracing) will be a great way to extend that play experience to a much wider audience. An audience who will hungry to show off what their new shiny ray tracing enabled consoles can do :)

6. Gears of War 5 (2019) - XBSX
220px-Gears_5_cover_art.png

Again, one of the best looking games this generation that really pushed the Xbox One platforms to their limits. This game is all but confirmed to be coming to the Series X as the Coalition showed off an early build of the game running on Xbox Series X and looking to match (or exceed) the top end PC experience. Expect native 4K, 60fps (minimum) with a high fps mode likely as well, all the high end PC highest quality graphic settings, and speedier loading times across the board. However, don't be surprised if we see some truly new enhancements including dynamic Global Illumination and Ray Tracing in some form for the next gen version as well!

5. Doom Eternal (2020) - PS5, XBSX
220px-Cover_Art_of_Doom_Eternal.png

One of my favorite games of this generation and one of the most well optimized games to come out in the past 10 years, I think it's a safe bet that we will see a next gen port of Doom Eternal at or near launch. Id Software's pedigree for pushing the technical boundaries in their games along with word that the studio is still working on enhancement to the Id Tech 7 engine including ray tracing means we could see a truly enhanced version of the game that exceeds even the current high end PC experience. With the game running at a near flawless 60fps even on base consoles today, I would absolutely expect Id to push a high frame rate mode (i.e 120 fps) for next gen in addition to native 4K and add graphical bells and whistles. The prospects of new engine enhancement and some sort of ray tracing component is just icing on a very juicy cake. I just hope it's smart delivery and doesn't require a repurchase!

4. Ghosts of Tsushima (2020) - PS5
WCCFghostoftsushima7.jpg

One of the PS4's swan songs from Sucker Punch is looking pretty amazing and will surely be one of the best games on PS4 this year already. However, bringing an enhanced port to PS5 would be truly awesome and a great launch window title for new PS5 owners to since their teeth into. As a beautiful, sprawling open world that is truly pushing PS4 to the brink, the added headroom the PS5 will offer should allow for some core enhancements that will improve the gameplay. Instant loads, fast fast travel, higher frame rates, unique haptic feedback and adaptive trigger support, native 4K, and enhanced visuals could allow the developer to more fully realize their vision and serve as a flagship title for the PS5 launch.

3. Final Fantasy VII Remake (2020) - PS5
final-fantasy-vii-remake---button-fin-1586205679705.jpg

Already a beautiful game that did great justice to the source material, there is still much room for improvement in the move to next gen. Load times and resolution are a given, but also the game would be transformed with the full resolution textures on full display that the PS4 version is lacking currently. We can also salivate at the prospect of a full 4K/60fps version for next gen which would be an amazing upgrade as well over the PS4 version. I'm sure we'll see this title on both next gen consoles eventually, it's just a matter of when and in what form.

2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - PS5, XBSX
Red_Dead_Redemption_II.jpg

Arguably the best looking game ever made, the current high end PC experience shines quite a bit brighter than the current gen consoles. As Rockstar has historically had no issue milking their premiere franchises dry and re-releasing them on every platform available, I'd be shocked if we don't hear about a next gen port of RDR2 soon. Delivering the high end PC experience to a wider audience via the next gen consoles would be great for both Rockstar and the console manufacturers Sony and Microsoft. While the game is still notoriously demanding to run on even the highest end PC today (especially at 4K/60fps), it would be glorious to see a version optimized for console and delivering a high end 4K/60fps experience. No, not with every PC setting maxed (which is just wasteful anyway) but with an optimized configuration that is still enhanced beyond what the current gen consoles can offer. Definitely possible so fingers crossed! Also, please smart delivery as well :)

1. The Last of Us: Part 2 - PS5
71p8G%2BYeA6L._SX342_.jpg

The sequel to one of my (if not my #1) favorite games ever released, The Last of US: Part 2 has Game of Year written all over it and should be quite the swan song for the PS4. However, the prospects of what this game (which already looks world class and pushes the PS4 to the brink) could look like on a PS5 is just drool inducing. The interesting thing is that I still maintain that one of the early trailers looked way too good to be a PS4 title and was probably using higher quality assets intended for PS5 (in fact, none of the subsequent PS4 footage of the game has matched this trailer IMO). So the idea that Naughty Dog was already developing TLOU:p2 with PS5 in mind is not far fetched at all. I absolutely cannot wait for this game and I'm really hoping Sony implements a smart delivery type of system because I would be shocked if this game wasn't available on PS5 with some enhancements near launch. Remember, Sony does not appear (based on what we know at this time) to have a PS5 title on the level of Halo Infinite. TLOU:p2 could be it for Sony. Can't wait to find out!

Honorable Mentions: Fortnite, Days Gone, Battlefield V, PUBG, Destiny 2, Forza Horizon 4

Which current gen games are you most excited to see come to next gen?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If possible I like to see most all my current PS4 library be playable on PS5. Most of your list are popular games we know is gonna on next gen systems one way or another.

I want games that I really like but they are not popular enough.

Valkyria Chronicles 1&4
valkyria-chronicles-remastered-valkyria-chronicles-4-bundle-squareboxart-02-ps4-us-01oct2019

Sakura Wars
ffdb9d44ab5dfd191184538edf65c750.jpg

Dragon Quest XI With all Switch version contents.
448607-582468.jpg

The Last Guardian
Last_Guardian_Large-1024x587.jpeg

Gravity Rush Remastered
latest

Gravity Rush 2
459452-gravity-rush-2-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg

Atelier Ryza
KEYART-samsung5.jpg

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
bloodstained---button-crop-1550101380048.jpg

Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise
520859-fist-of-the-north-star-lost-paradise-playstation-4-inside-cover.png

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If Bloodborne don't get a 60 FPS version in the next years I will be pissed.
I heard something to do with "game logic" that prevents Bloodborne from running at 60FPS, we might get one with smoother 30FPS.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Why just current gen? How about every Nintendo game ever on Switch 2 or whatever. $59.99 each (yes, even the original Super Mario Bros).

Last edited:

Tqaulity

Yeah, this list is not my personal list of games I like or want to see. It’s more of the top games I expect to see or that makes sense due to the tech, popularity, and timing.

Basically games that push current gen really hard and could use the headroom afforded by next gen, games made with next gen featured in mind, and games that utilize next gen features like ray-tracing .

Nankatsu

You're probably right, but I really hope they somehow pull an enhanced update for most games and we don't have to buy them again.

For instances FVII Remake is already a beautiful game which the main graphical problem is texture loading. 90% sure they don't need to release a new disc version to fix that on the PS5.

A guy can dream yeah, but they're going to drain our money the better they can. I know.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Destiny 2 getting ported for next gen launch confirmed.

Most likely being joined by Fortnite, Rainbow Six and Fallout 76. Also pretty sure GTA Online is moving forward as well.

I’m kinda expecting those all available at launch honestly.

If possible I like to see most all my current PS4 library be playable on PS5. Most of your list are popular games we know is gonna on next gen systems one way or another.

I want games that I really like but they are not popular enough.

Valkyria Chronicles 1&4
valkyria-chronicles-remastered-valkyria-chronicles-4-bundle-squareboxart-02-ps4-us-01oct2019

Sakura Wars
ffdb9d44ab5dfd191184538edf65c750.jpg

Dragon Quest XI With all Switch version contents.
448607-582468.jpg

The Last Guardian
Last_Guardian_Large-1024x587.jpeg

Gravity Rush Remastered
latest

Gravity Rush 2
459452-gravity-rush-2-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg

Atelier Ryza
KEYART-samsung5.jpg

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
bloodstained---button-crop-1550101380048.jpg

Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise
520859-fist-of-the-north-star-lost-paradise-playstation-4-inside-cover.png

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Solid list already in the OP. I am most excited to see FF7R with all the textures loading and at a higher resolution.

Top Bottom