• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 Amazing AA Games-You Need To Play

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont know if people will call them AAA, but for sure they are at least AA.

Ace Combat 7. I only played it a bit as I couldnt get used to the controls as they are different than older games (there's no total novice controls like old games), but the game has quality 60 fps gameplay.

Karak

I dont know if people will call them AAA, but for sure they are at least AA.

Ace Combat 7. I only played it a bit as I couldnt get used to the controls as they are different than older games (there's no total novice controls like old games), but the game has quality 60 fps gameplay.
Ya ace is actually pretty damned great

Laptop1991

The Outer Worlds for me, it wasn't a triple A game by any means, and i really enjoyed it and i'm looking forward to the sequel, which i hope is a triple A game.

catvonpee

I don't know how many A's they would qualify for, but Zombie Army 4 and Maneater were two lower budget games I sincerely enjoy and played recently.

Karak

I don't know how many A's they would qualify for, but Zombie Army 4 and Maneater were two lower budget games I sincerely enjoy and played recently.
I loved the idea behind Maneater but man it died out quickly for me. It just I don't know. It wasn't bad I just had a lot of difficulty staying involved

catvonpee

I loved the idea behind Maneater but man it died out quickly for me. It just I don't know. It wasn't bad I just had a lot of difficulty staying involved
I can see that. But to me I got major Metroid Prime vibes from it and the levelling system was super addicting. I really got hooked after the part where you get the electricity augmentation...
The final form you get is the coolest. The way you can triple jump and stuff is basically the Screw Attack.
ba1ccd15-9e92-4a8d-9dc7-777e29331ae3.png
So, trying to see what else you could unlock made me want to explore every nook and cranny of the game..
Also, I really enjoyed how frenetic the versus humans combat was, and I think the art direction is great too. They even have Cherenkov radiation in the game being blue like it is IRL.
49e316f5-5abb-4e77-9867-dc2423464586.png

I beat the entire game and got 1000 gamerscore in four days though. I can't wait to play the DLC.

Karak

I can see that. But to me I got major Metroid Prime vibes from it and the levelling system was super addicting. I really got hooked after the part where you get the electricity augmentation...
The final form you get is the coolest. The way you can triple jump and stuff is basically the Screw Attack.
ba1ccd15-9e92-4a8d-9dc7-777e29331ae3.png
So, trying to see what else you could unlock made me want to explore every nook and cranny of the game..
Also, I really enjoyed how frenetic the versus humans combat was, and I think the art direction is great too. They even have Cherenkov radiation in the game being blue like it is IRL.
49e316f5-5abb-4e77-9867-dc2423464586.png

I beat the entire game and got 1000 gamerscore in four days though. I can't wait to play the DLC.
Ya I know a lot of folks who dug it far longer than I did. I loved LOVED the idea though. So good. Would die for a sequel

Neil Young

Anyone that enjoys the Souls games needs to play The Surge 2 stat! It is, or was, on game pass. I liked it so much I went and bought the Surge 1 with all the dlc. Admittedly, the first wasn't as good as the second....but still ok.

And I've tried 3 separate times to get into Dragon's Dogma and it just never clicks. I don't know what it is.

Karak

Anyone that enjoys the Souls games needs to play The Surge 2 stat! It is, or was, on game pass. I liked it so much I went and bought the Surge 1 with all the dlc. Admittedly, the first wasn't as good as the second....but still ok.

And I've tried 3 separate times to get into Dragon's Dogma and it just never clicks. I don't know what it is.
Maybe its that first 2 hours lol

GymWolf

Anyone else think the distinction between AA and AAA is a bit silly and meaningless? No 2 games have the exact same budget, dev time, team size etc etc.

Even within so called "triple aaa games" budgets can vary massively compare RDR2 to Days gone to yakuza and differences are gigantic.
Rdr2 is a AAAA
Days gone is a AAA
Yakuza is a AA and a half.

darkleemar

Neo Member
Plagues tale is amazing. Just finished on gamepass. Definitely in my top 10 games ever, maybe even top 5. Don't sleep on it GAF.
I loved this game up until the last bit. Went from being a pretty fun story driven game with some simple, but fun stealth mechanics, to a weird action 3rd person shooter. Which would be fine but in my opinion the sling mechanics did not work well for fast paced combat and it really started to piss me off and really ruined the experience for me. I would say the game was a solid 6.5/10 because of that for me. Story and environment were super unique though which I liked.

GymWolf

Yeah surge 2 is probably the best soulsborne clone other than nioh series (and i still prefer surge to nioh).
Like you i tried infinite times to like dragon dogma but the only savong grace of that game is the combat and onestly i don't even liked the combat that much because it lacks a lock on and it can be messy sometimes.

Hestar69

Agreed. I 1000/1000'd the game on xbox and by the end I was just ready to be done with the game.

Karak

Agreed. I 1000/1000'd the game on xbox and by the end I was just ready to be done with the game.
Y I was sort of in and then out on that one. A sequel would be cool though.

Also someone here posted the video to reddit and my big appreciation for that! Huge help

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Not every good game is made by a massive studio with billions of dollars. Here are some of our favorite not quite indie games.

Greedfall

Platform: PC PS4 Xbox One XSX|S PS5

Hellblade: Senua's sacrifice

Platform: PC PS4 Xbox One Switch XSX|S

Vampyr

Platform: PC PS4 Xbox One Switch

Mortal Shell

Platform: PC PS4 Xbox One XSX|S PS5

Firewatch

Platform: PC PS4 Xbox One Switch Linux OS X

The Wolf Among Us

Platform: PC PS3 PS4 PS Vita Xbox 360 Xbox One OS X

Stardew Valley

Platform: PC PS4 Xbox One Switch PS Vita Linux

Undertale

Platform: PC PS4 PS Vita Switch Xbox One Linux OS X

Outerwilds

Platform: PC Xbox One Switch PS4

What Remains of Edith Finch

Platform: PC PS4 Xbox One Switch

Soma

Platform: PC PS4 Xbox One Linux OS X

Pacify

Platform: PC

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Platform: PC PS4 Xbox One Switch Amazon Luna

Divinity: Original Sin 2

Platform: PC PS4 Switch Xbox One

Cuphead

Platform: PC PS4 Switch Xbox One

A Plague Tale Innocence

Platform: PC PS4 PS5 Xbox One XSX|S Switch Amazon Luna

GRAVITY RUSH 2

Platform: PS4

HOLLOW KNIGHT

Platform: PC PS4 Xbox One Switch Linux

Hades

Platform: PC PS4 PS5 Xbox One XSX|S Switch

It Takes Two + A Way Out

Platform: PC PS4 PS5 Xbox One XSX|S + PC PS4 Xbox One

BONUS

Tormented Souls

Platform: PS4 PS5 XSX|S Switch PC

Teardown

Platform: PC

0:00 INTRO
0:17 Greedfall
1:27 Hellblade: Senua's sacrifice
2:18 Vampyr
3:15 Mortal Shell
4:13 Firewatch
5:18 The Wolf Among Us
6:11 Stardew Valley
6:53 Undertale
7:41 Outerwilds
8:22 What Remains of Edith Finch
9:24 Soma
10:22 Pacify
11:33 Kingdom Come: Deliverance
12:14 Divinity: Original Sin 2
12:53 Cuphead
13:40 A Plague Tale Innocence
14:28 GRAVITY RUSH 2
15:13 HOLLOW KNIGHT
15:57 Hades
16:45 It Takes Two + A Way Out
17:28 Bonus

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not really following the original intent of the thread (even though before I did), but one game I'd recommend to gamers who like twin stick rogue games is Enter the Gungeon.

I didn't bother trying it on GP at the beginning since it looks stupid (I like gritty looking games). Its got this corny cartoony artstyle where everything looks like a bullet.

But I tried it (since I like twin stick games), and it's a good game. And dont let the cute art fool you. It can get hard and you'll die. It takes getting used to because unlike some twin stickers where you move with LS and hold down RS to fire in whatever direction, this game requires you to aim with RS but also fire with RT. So it takes getting used to. It's not like a geometry Wars kind of game you just aim with RS and it auto-shoots unlimited bullets.

This game has limited ammo too. So if you get stuck in a room with no good ammo left, you'll be defaulted to a shitty single shot pistol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom