• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 Amazing AA Games-You Need To Play

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

I wanted to spotlight this video by Karak Karak . I'm currently going through A Plague Tale and I'm having an amazing time with it. It's just as good as games with ten times the budget.

He also talks about Greedfall and Dragons Dogma which I enjoyed my time with too.

It's a nice list of recommendations for games which might have fallen through the cracks for a lot of us because they didn't have huge budgets and lots of marketing.

Games mentioned in order:

Dragons Dogma
A Plague Tale Innocence
Wastlanders 3
Remnant From The Ashes
Greedfall
A Way Out
It Takes Two
Pyre
Warhammer 40k Space Marines
The Surge 2
Sherlock Holmes Crime and Punishment
The Deadly Tower of Monsters
Void Bastards

He put a few extra recs in there. I'd also like to add Elex to the list. Euro jank but charming.

Long live AA!

Last edited:
OP, could you list the 10 games in the video for those of us who won't watch the video for whatever reason (I'm currently working but still want to know the 10 games).
In order:
Dragons Dogma
A plague Tale: Innocence
Wasteland 3
Remnant: from the ashes
Greedfall
A way out
it takes two
Pyre
Warhammer 40k: Space Marines
The Surge 2
Crimes and punishment
The deadly tower of monters
Void Bastards.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For Xbox gamers with GP, download and play the 360 game Dante's Inferno from EA Play on normal or hard. Dont play on Easy unless you want very gimped enemies and traps. It's a decent God of War rip off from 10 years ago. Dont expect an amazing game though. 7/10.

Last edited:

ElCasual

That Sherlock game is good? All I know is that from the same studio of The Sinking City and the game is between good and bad.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I completed three from that list - GreedFall, A Plague Tale Innocence and Remnant From the Ashes. All great games for me. 8.5/8.5/8.0. Enjoyed all three and easily worth a day one purchase in my opinion.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Loved that one. I'd call that AAA myself but it's a great game.
Solid game. Only problems that stood out was the production values were obviously gimped, and fodder monsters and background art were bland. You could tell EA only had so much budget and artists working on the game compared to God of War epics.

But the core gameplay and audio were excellent. Running at 60 fps was sweet too. And I thought the comic book cut scenes were good (some people didnt like it though).

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Solid game. Only problems that stood out was the production values were obviously gimped, and fodder monsters and background art were bland.

But the core gameplay and audio were excellent. And I thought the comic book cut scenes were good (some people didnt like it though).
As I recall it seemed like they put most of their design work effort in the first half of the game. The last few levels of hell seemed bland to me.

MiguelItUp

Maybe? I'm not going to argue what separates AA from AAA. It's not exactly a hard definition.
I was just legitimately curious, haha. I'm never one to argue. I was just not a gigantic fan of the game, so I wondered if there was something I missed cause I thought it was developed and published by Capcom. 🤔

TrueLegend

Every game he is listing is good, they were also available at a great deal on steam. He is a week late. Should have made this video when the sale was on.

GymWolf

Happy that he included surge 2 and remnant from the ashes, 2 of the best soulsborne games from past gen.

I love every supergiant game but i never tried pyre...

Last edited:
Yeah, no. To me, these are some bad to mediocre games at best. Oh, except for It Takes Two! Very enjoyable and well made game.

Last edited:

intbal

None of those are amazing and it's a clickbait title even for Karak, considering he did not call any of those, except maybe Dogma, "amazing". They are pretty decent tho and most if not all are easily bought at bargain bin prices these days.

Credibility lost.
Space Marine is better than the last five games you played.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Plagues tale is amazing. Just finished on gamepass. Definitely in my top 10 games ever, maybe even top 5. Don't sleep on it GAF.

Fbh

Always nice to see some love for Pyre.
Even before Hades it usually got left out from most Supergiant games conversations as everyone focused on Bastion and Transistor. But Pyre is their game that has stayed on my mind the longest (haven't played Hades yet though)
Really enjoyed the vibe and music of that one

Gameplay was really fun too even though it gets a bit repetitive towards the end.

But this list is missing the true king franchise of AA gaming:

16630fc4b1c41e1e8a51b6526f8ca00e420c49af_hq.gif

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Even before Hades it usually got left out from most Supergiant games conversations as everyone focused on Bastion and Transistor. But Pyre is their game that has stayed on my mind the longest (haven't played Hades yet though)

Gameplay was really fun too even though it gets a bit repetitive towards the end.

Yakuza is AAA

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I’ll throw my hat in the ring for the following games, starting from the best of the bunch.

1) It Takes Two
2) Dragons Dogma
3) Plague Tale

I’ve played most of the rest of the games and while some are good, they don’t stand out as much to me as those top 3, particularly It Takes Two.

Fbh

Yakuza is AAA

These past few years they've really improved the production values.
But up to zero? I'd hardly call them AAA. Specially considering the massive amounts of recycled content. Look at Yakuza Zero, half the game is the same ol' Kamurocho they'd been using since like Yakuza 3 (with some changes) and the other big location, Sotenbori, was taken directly from Yakuza 5

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
My Best AA games are:
  • AA Games Are Going Strong.
  • Life Is Strange Series.
  • A Way Out.
  • It Takes Two.
  • Children of Morta.
  • Shadow Warrior 1 and 2.
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence.
  • Fall Guys.

Melchiah

I started playing Remnant: From the Ashes about a month ago, as it was in my PS+ backlog, and I needed more Souls-like gameplay after Let It Die and Demon's Souls. Platinumed it yesterday, and it was mostly an enjoyable experience, but there were some downsides. Namely, that the vast majority of bosses feature a mob of minor enemies, and the randomly generated areas lead to needless replays when you want certain gear or mods. The game was clearly designed for co-op play, and the bosses are pretty hard to beat solo early on, before you've levelled up your character and gear, and have better mods and gear (getting Chigago Typewriter or Assault Rifle helps a lot). I'd still recommend it, if you enjoyed the gameplay and challenge in the likes of LID, DS, and Bloodborne, and want to try a game that puts emphasis on guns (and their mod powers) instead of melee weapons.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, that some mods are handy against the mobs when playing solo. They can give you two turrets to keep the mobs at bay, for example.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Try to sell me some pyre dude, i love their games but pure never interested me.

Also yakuza 0 is not really considered AA, that's why you don't have any yakuza game in that list.

sublimit

Banned
Was it? Got a source on that?
Pretty sure Itsuno said so in one of his interviews. Maybe it was in one of Archipel's documentaries (the one where various Capcom creators also talk about RE and DMC). I'll try to see if i can find his quote.

Also Wikipedia says that 200 people worked on it (including external developers). I doubt if any other Capcom game until then exceeded that number.

Last edited:
Anyone else think the distinction between AA and AAA is a bit silly and meaningless? No 2 games have the exact same budget, dev time, team size etc etc.

Even within so called "triple aaa games" budgets can vary massively compare RDR2 to Days gone to yakuza and differences are gigantic.

xrnzaaas

Nice list, but personally I wouldn't call Void Bastards an AA game. Yes it's got a cool style which probably took some time to develop, but when you actually sink in you realize it desperately lacks in fresh content. This can be annoying even during the first playthrough when the same ship layouts quickly start to repeat. Definitely feels like the scale of the project exceeded what the (presumably small) development team can do.

Last edited:

Karak

None of those are amazing and it's a clickbait title even for Karak, considering he did not call any of those, except maybe Dogma, "amazing". They are pretty decent tho and most if not all are easily bought at bargain bin prices these days.
I also don't repeat 1st person shooters are 1st person shooters in a first-person shooter list either. The tag is in the title the description is in the video including why I feel like some of them didn't get their love.

Also a clickbait title would be one that is effectively there to grab views while not reflecting the same information as the title. The very description of bait. Saying some AA games are amazing is as little clickbait as humanly possible without titling the video "the"

Last edited:

Karak

Gameranx did this just recently better channel too.
Interesting. I do talk to them often and no video comes up listing AA, Amazing, Indie or Budget at all for many months for them.
Where is this gameranx video? I would be interested in seeing that overlap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom