• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

SkylineRKR

I hate Venice Beach

I hate the secret tape. its just a lousy ollie over a table.

I hate the bums

I hate the V8

I hate the layout and out of bounds resets.

Thats the only level I hate. I even like Downhill Jam. I want TH3 levels!

Last edited:

drganon

I hate burnside. I've gotten gold on the other two competitions, but cant get higher than silver on this shitty ass park. Like I needed another reason to hate Portland.

Some questions...

Without the nostalgia (if you never played the OGs) is it still good?
Seems arcadey - fun or frustrating?
Is the platinum obtainable? I see a trophy for a 1 million combo. Yikes.

shubik

Some questions...

- Even without nostalgia the brilliance of these games is visible.
- It can be frustrating if you don´t master the controls as some levels have certain items placed that are only reachable if you pull of a certain move at a certain place.
- can´t speak on the platinum as this is not my cup of tea

diffusionx

Gold Member
Some questions...

If you like arcade games, then you would like this. It hits the same notes in terms of skill, score chase, etc. So it's as fun or frustrating as you would normally find an arcade game.

I prefer EA's Skate series as skateboarding games but as arcade games this is amazing IMO.

Last edited:
Well the game is not as arcadey as I thought, seems like there is plenty of depth to it and a lot to master - but it is definitely fun. I'm just falling on my cunt a lot.

Gonna enjoy plugging away at this and unlocking everything.

Nymphae

Banned
I got all the stat points for everyone last night. It's really annoying that there are two sets of stat point locations, one for street skaters and one for vert skaters, and then for some reason, a third variation for like only 2 skaters in the roster, the girl with blue hair is one of them I forget the other one. It just makes finding them all more annoying than it needs to be and the logic of it is weird.

The challenge stuff is a really nice addition to the game, but I find the process of tackling them all not super fun. It's fairly annoying to wait for the loads to change levels and skaters all the time, plus digging through the menus for the challenges, then trying to decipher where and how you can do some of them (sometimes while the list auto scrolls....ugh), it feels like I'm doing a lot of work outside of the gameplay itself, then doing like 30 seconds of gameplay, then back to the menus. It's a minor quibble I'm just saying doing these feels a lot more chore-like than they should.

deafmedal

ya'll using D-pad or analogue stick? I keep switching
Stick. I will probably keep trying D-pad but I just can’t get the hang of it. I’m also struggling with the bumpers for rotation... it’s almost like my old ass, beaten up hands are revolting against me while playing heh. I’ll get there (again), just gonna take a bit longer.

Nymphae

Banned
Any tips on doing teh special tricks? Feels like I can get them to work only 50% of the time.

? It's two directions then a face button, you should be able to do it 100% of the time.

Not sure how anyone could possibly stand using an analog for this game. Dpad tapping is necessary for balance and makes special move inputs easier.

Nymphae

Banned
My old tip for special move mapping is to have the same mappings for manual and grind tricks, so that if you miss a grind you were shooting for but hit the input correct, you'll do a special manual instead.

Nymphae

Banned
I'm also finding that some skaters seem to just have inherent strengths, I have everyone's stats fully maxed, but was unable to jump into the volcano on Skate Heaven with my create a skater over several runs and attempts. I switched to Tony Hawk and nailed it first try. I don't like this, stat points should mean something concrete.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I use stick over dpad except for some specific moves. I also struggle to used L1/R1 for spinning.

My biggest problems is keeping the combos going/chaining moves with manuals. Although I've always been garbage at games with button input mechanics like this and fighting games. Still having fun though.

Last edited:

chigstoke

Did my first game on competitive last night. Had some really close games. Best conbo being a 2.2 Mil on Hangar. Definite room for improvement.

Was nice to be messaged a GG as well. I went on a mad combo of around 75 tricks a few seconds before and during overtime on Graffiti and won the game, I impressed myself:messenger_grinning_squinting:

Roufianos

I hate Venice Beach

I hate the bums

I hate the V8

Just completed it. My god it's shit. Never playing there again.

RPS37

So, we all know the soundtrack to this game is legit, but I have to say this is a fantastic podcast game.

kingwingin

the online is brutal in this game, get crushed every single game within seconds unless i do a special then land in a manual and cheese it with small tricks.

i need to learn how to chain together tricks

Nymphae

Banned
This game seriously needs a replay feature, I want to actually examine a lot of the tricks and animations and it's just really difficult.

I'm quite sure that in one of the older games you could move the camera and then click one of the sticks to lock it in place, which gave you some cool views, but that functionality is not present here.

The animations and graphics are really nice now it just begs for a replay mode, it would be incredible for people to be able to study what it going on for particular tricks, from all angles at any speed.

The create a park stuff is fantastic, the tools are so snappy and intuitive and you can make a lot of cool stuff with the smart objects. And it's so quick to jump from the skating to editor and back again, really nice.

Haven't even touched MP yet, I love how much single player content is in here. Actually having fun digging through all the challenges now.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Caved and picked up the Xbone version. I have to say, after a decade or more of training myself to use the joysticks as trick inputs on skateboarding games and more recently moving turning to triggers ala Session & SkaterXL, I am having a hard time reverting back to THPS controls. It's like re-wiring my brain.

Still waiting for the whole game to d/l so it's probably too early. Trying to find the gaps on both the warehouse & skate street levels is a trip. I remember obsessively trying to get all gaps back in the day. IIRC it unlocked the skate heaven map in THPS2?

bender

What time is it?
I hate Venice Beach

I hate the bums

I hate the V8

I'm really looking forward to THPS 3+4 HD. I remember being disappointed in THPS3's levels. I thought THPS4 was a return to form but THPS2 was the GOAT. Can't wait to see them with fresh eyes.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I can't break the habit of using both analog and d-pad, but I'm ok with that. I still can't chain combos worth crap unless grinding.

chigstoke

Anyone getting the issue of a manual starting up right at the beginning of a run? It’s even happening when I don’t touch the dpad. It’s a minor gripe but slows down the start of a run or multiplayer game.

More annoying as well as I had started speed run and it was an instant restart on warehouse every time it happened.

Currently up to 33rd in the world on Xbox for the level though, so every cloud :messenger_beaming:

KrisB

can't break the habit of using both analog and d-pad, but I'm ok with that. I still can't chain combos worth crap unless grinding.
I always use the dpad, did back in the day too. I find the analog is too sensitive. I could probably play with the settings and get it right but the dpad does the job.

NecroRamone

Neo Member
I'd love the game for skatin' arond but the control falls short for me when it comes to precison. Also the challanges are fucking retared as they about "oh this game has 10 mechanincs, which of you are allowed to use two. Oh, and include this gap. Oh, and here is a point requirement." Typo in challange description indicating a gap that does not exists.

Hostile_18

Banned
I was only so-so enjoying it then I spent a bit of time customising my move sets with easy to remember moves and now I'm loving it. My scores went from struggling to make 200k all the time to 500k.

Zimmy68

Man, I hate, hate Minneapolis Downtown.
There are 2 objectives where you have to jump a huge gap (Popcorn and the Gap one).
I have all my stats in Air, Speed and Ollie and 9 out 10, I don't come close.
I watch videos and these guys do it in one run. I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

There are 2 objectives where you have to jump a huge gap (Popcorn and the Gap one).
I watch videos and these guys do it in one run. I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I just cleared it today. Make sure before you attempt those gaps to have special already highlighted. Just by having SPECIAl on, you automatically jump higher/longer regardless of your air and ollie stats.

Downhill Jam is kicking my ass for the 200.000 score. There is so little places to do lip tricks which give out the most points, so far I managed 170K.

Last edited:
You all might find this interesting:

Three other fun facts about this video:

1) This was uploaded after the demo had been out for about six hours.
2) Before factoring in any trick multiplyer, this trick was already worth three times what the sick score for this level will be, which is 100,000 points.
3) The current world record score for the demo is over five times the amount reached in this video.

So even the demo is a faithful remake... I remember fucking that ps1-demo up with glitches and stuff to get hilariously massive points.

If you're not doing it already, tap "up" twice before the jump. You'll know you did it right if it says "boneless" at the bottom of your screen where the tricks are listed.

Decided to take the evening off from completing the base games and challenges and focus on upping my scores after watching the vid I posted - it helped a ton. I'm now up to a 1.2M single session high score (Warehouse) and a largest combo of 500k. Still not amazing but I'm way more consistent now too. I've switched to having a 900 mapped to an easy input and I use that to build my 'base' along with a couple of other easy input specials and I try to only grind the same rail twice in a row - that tip on balance degrading was mind blowing.

I much prefer just just score attacking over hunting for collectibles, it's possibly the most addictive thing in all of videogames for me.

deafmedal

Alright you fucktards, I'm forcing myself to use the dpad. My thumb isn't too happy about it, I keep catching it drifting to the stick but I'm getting there. Did NY and VB using mostly dpad, not a fan of VB but it looks fantastic. I was reminded why I liked the GC controller so much with this game, being able to 'roll' your thumb from the ollie button made for much easier controls than a DS4 and I end up fat thumbing quite often. I'm getting there again albeit quite slowly but enjoying it immensely.

Zimmy68

I finally hit that Rooftop gap goal in Downtown. Thanks for the tips.
Now onto the dreadful Downhill Jam tape, the gap looks easy but I seemed to get pulled down as soon as I jump.
I had a question. On the original games, I used to go through all the skaters.
When I select a new skater, all of the previously cleared goals are still cleared.
I can only get new stat points.
Is there a way to play through the level fresh with new skaters?

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Finished all the skater challenges last night, not sure what to tackle next. Speed runs sound pretty boring to me, might try rhe online.

I still don't understand why one skater out of the entire roster, the blue hair chick, wasn't able to be placed into vert or street styles, and had a brand new "park" style made just for her. The only effect of which appears to be having different stat point locations from everyone else in the game, really odd choice.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Basically done with everything, loved the game, great remakes of both. I didn't expect them to litter it with MTX, I'm just so glad they didn't.

I know some people were like, "HURR DURR BUT THEY COULD BECAUSE CUSTOMIZATION", of course they could. But there is a LOT of customization to choose from here that is included. So much that I didn't even bother with so much. So the idea of them adding even more as MTX seems like a bit of a stretch, lol.

I don't see myself playing this a year later or anything. But it really was a nice breath of nostalgia, and a reminder of how much I loved the series. Definitely one of my favorites for the year.

I lost all of my save data again!!!!!!!!!

This is a nightmare.

Oh well, guess I'm starting again for the third time. Good job this game is so immensely playable and fun to speed run.

Missing my nearly max stats and completed challenges though.

Sigh. Actually being up for doing this again is a testament to how good the game is. Still, I'm gutted.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just started playing. Mainly doing the simple goals so far, can't get anywhere near the really high scores. But then I haven't played Tony Hawk since 2.

Question: The tutorial says that doing a revert after landing in a vert pipe lets you keep the combo going, but it doesn't seem to work? What am I missing? How soon after doing it do I need to do the next trick? Does it only work in very narrow pipes?

Question 2: What does leveling up do? I'm cashing in challenges and getting XP, and my level goes up, and... then what? Is it for anything? (Not talking about skater stat points, I know how those work.)

Just started playing. Mainly doing the simple goals so far, can't get anywhere near the really high scores. But then I haven't played Tony Hawk since 2.

Question: The tutorial says that doing a revert after landing in a vert pipe lets you keep the combo going, but it doesn't seem to work? What am I missing? How soon after doing it do I need to do the next trick? Does it only work in very narrow pipes?

Question 2: What does leveling up do? I'm cashing in challenges and getting XP, and my level goes up, and... then what? Is it for anything? (Not talking about skater stat points, I know how those work.)

For your combo to continue, you have to manual immediately after the revert.

Leveling unlocks more cosmetics. I think it's also tied to a trophy / achievement or two.

Top Bottom