• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 Review Thread

Bullet Club

JYBzE5Z.jpg

NeoGAF Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 OT Thread

Platforms:
  • Xbox One (Sep 4, 2020)
  • PlayStation 4 (Sep 4, 2020)
  • PC (Sep 4, 2020)
Developer: Vicarious Visions

Publisher: Activision

dQP1EZO.png

zJXt81d.png

VG247 - Dom Peppiatt - 5 / 5 stars
Vicarious Visions has proved that Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater was more than just a product of its time, and that – like skating itself – it has every chance of penetrating the mainstream once again.
Destructoid - Chris Carter - 8 / 10
Blemishes aside, Activision is doing so much right this time beyond just putting Vicarious Visions in charge. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 isn't going to blow people away, but it preserves the original experience with a few modern conveniences. It's a win.
IGN - Luke Reilly - 9 / 10
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 proves that going backwards has been the best step forward for the series in 15 years.
Kotaku - Ian Walker - Unscored
Even with all its changes, THPS1+2 perfectly captures a moment in time. It’s a damaged Polaroid photo scanned, digitized, and lovingly retouched. It’s gravel picked out of a scraped knee. It’s a night of sleep untouched by nightmares and insomnia. It is, as it always was, just what I need in this moment.
Polygon - Ben Kuchera - Unscored
Everything I love about the original is still here; it’s just a little older, a little kinder, and a lot better looking.
PowerUp! - James O'Connor - 8.7 / 10
If you’re a long-time fan, here’s the only thing that really matters, the words you’ve been longing to read—these are the games you remember.
Press Start - Brodie Gibbons - 8 / 10
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 is a one-way ticket to the turn of the millennium. It's a complete, beautiful love letter to not only Tony Hawk himself as an icon but to a time when both the series and the sport of skateboarding itself were most pure and fun. As a bundle, and with the multiplayer providing even more longevity, this game offers unrivalled value.
Stevivor - Jay Ball - 8 / 10
As a recreation it highlights how good the original games were for their time. Challenging, original, addictive and damn fun to play.
TheSixthAxis - Thomas Hughes - 10 / 10
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+ 2 is a labour of love and an ode to the series' glory days. Every inch of the game has been perfectly restored and updated for modern consoles and it's an absolute delight to play from start to finish. This is a must-buy for skateboarders, gamers and everyone else in between.
GameSpot - Mat Paget - 9 / 10
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 deftly recreates the original games' levels while implementing smart additions to the trick system and creating engaging challenges.
Gameblog - Thomas Pillon - French - 8 / 10
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 finally brings back the noise of a beloved franchise, after so many failed attempts. This remaster compile the arcade gameplay and the sillyness of two famous games to deliver a classic but loving experience for every fan of the genre. If only this duo turned into a trio, the party would have been perfect.
GamesRadar+ - Ben Tyrer - 4 / 5 stars
A fitting remake for two of the best extreme sports games of all-time, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 offers up more than mere nostaglia,
GamingTrend - David Flynn - 90 / 100
Pro Skater 1 + 2 not only perfectly recreates the pure joy of the originals, it improves on them greatly. The visuals have obviously been improved, but so have the responsive controls. If you have liked a Tony Hawk game in the past, you'll feel right at home here.
God is a Geek - Chris White - 9 / 10
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 are perfect remasters that remind me fondly of the original, offering excellent gameplay and tons to do. They look great, sound great, and have tons of replayability.
Hobby Consolas - Alberto Lloret - Spanish - 88 / 100
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 moves between the old and new like fish on water. It offers the same control, the iconic levels and the gameplay we used to love, but with a new and shiny body, that offers more options than ever. It's not perfect, but it's the skate game that lots of us were expecting.
Attack of the Fanboy - Dean James - 4 / 5 stars
After falling off the board entirely with Tony Hawk's previous outing, Activision has successfully gone back to the beginning and proven again what once made the series so iconic with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Great as expected after VV's work on the Crash remakes, they really sold me on their abilities. Saw positive previews, got the Warehouse demo and was pleased to find it felt just as it should.

Good shit. Will be finishing both games back-to-back tomorrow and then probably again and again over the weekend.

Kuranghi

edit - Oh damn, I gotta finish Destroy All Humans! first, better get on it!

Anyone have a cheap EGS key for it? (Tony Hawk, not DAH) I can't seem to find any which sucks, £30 would be a perfect price for this, rather than £40.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Great as expected after VV's work on the Crash remakes, they really sold me on their abilities. Saw positive previews, got the Warehouse demo and was pleased to find it felt just as it should.

Good shit. Will be finishing both games back-to-back tomorrow and then probably again and again over the weekend.

I keep avoiding the remake trilogy because I ~100%'d the trilogy just before it was announced. Apart from the awesome graphics update, is there a reason for me to play it now rather than wait for it to be cheap as chips next year (I keep seeing it go on 50% off on steam and £17.99 seems like a MORE than fair price for it but as I said I just beat the originals).

Are the time trials in 3 a bit less brutal? I enjoyed routing most of them but some of the egypt levels are frustrating because they rely on global cycles so when you make a small mistake it fudges up the whole run. Thats also putting me off getting it because I know I'll want to 100% them, who wouldn't?!??

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I keep avoiding the remake trilogy because I ~100%'d the trilogy just before it was announced. Apart from the awesome graphics update, is there a reason for me to play it now rather than wait for it to be cheap as chips next year (I keep seeing it go on 50% off on steam and £17.99 seems like a MORE than fair price for it but as I said I just beat the originals).

Are the time trials in 3 a bit less brutal? I enjoyed routing most of them but some of the egypt levels are frustrating because they rely on global cycles so when you make a small mistake it fudges up the whole run. Thats also putting me off getting it because I know I'll want to 100% them, who wouldn't?!??

They're complete ground-up remakes so they don't feel quite like the originals, a lot of people complained that they felt too "slippery" but I cleared them all and had a blast. Honestly, it's all visuals. I think they included that super hard cut Crash 1 level that was basically Slippery Climb 2.

It's a real treat for Crash fans but don't burn yourself out for the sake of it, just get it when you're ready to replay everything.

CitizenX

Banned
Cool, but zero.zero interest. TH is a legend the series was perfect time and place becasue it was fun, now kids dont understand the term.

MiguelItUp

Haven't checked it yet, I've been swamped with work. Got a CLEAR day tomorrow though :messenger_beermugs:

MiguelItUp MiguelItUp sorry I forgot you bro, I forgot a lot of people goddamn but I appreciate all you true believers who were there day zero.
No sweat at all dude! Most def man! I was SOOOOO hopeful, but as soon as they started talking about it and showing it. You could feel it was being handled with care. Then the demo just proved it a thousand times over. SO excited!

Alright! Did the first two levels. I never liked School all that much, but the new one looks stunning. I'm playing as Bob because he's the OG of our proud nation of Brazil. Love it a lot, people on the fence should absolutely get it.

Old Retro

I played online with my old friend. We played the OGs when they came out. It dumped us in lobbies with multiple people, who some we thought must have been bots. They would get 300,000 points when we only had maybe 20,000. :messenger_dizzy: Fun nonetheless.

Top Bottom