• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 (PS5) 4K 60FPS Gameplay + Loading speed ( Next-gen Update)

what is the os footprint on ps5?

so what you are saying is if next gen games start needing to be below 4k to hit high frame rates the Xbox will beat out the ps5 then? Say like 1440p to hit 60 or above FPS?
Jesus christ marry mother of god. games wont your not getting the point ur just typing meaningless sentences, what i mean is both consoles have mo problem running games that require more vram aka triple a nextgen games or quality modes in games at 4k30/60. The series x has a slight resolution advantage or headroom when it comes to 120fps mode this are games that dont use alot of vram per frame because series x has higher bandwidth when accessing just 10gb

The os of ps5 might be using lower memory than series x since the ps4 used less memory aswell than xbone this could be because of playstations low level api! But also ps5 has an extra 512mb of ddr4 ram on board

Banned
Do u even try to think or do u just type.? Its not vram usage speed my god do u even understand how games work? The series x has 10gb locked at 560gb/s when u access more than 10gb the bandwidth slows down because the other pool only has 6gb at 336gb/s

When your playing a game at 30fps you have more frametime for detail and effects per scene meaning your using more vram but when a game is at 120fps mode your using less vram vecause the effects are cutback to hit 120fps and in this scenario between the 2 consoles series x has more bandwidth to play with when accessing less vram because it doesnt need to use the slower memory pool itll just use the 10gb which runs at 560gb/s wheres as the ps5 has unified 448gb/s

first of all, the settings are not paired back, at least we don't know if they are.
second of all, the ram speeds of both are more than enough to hit 120fps in a game like those. (CoD can run at 120fps easily and should need way more bandwidth than THPS simply due to the effects overload it has alone)
third, the framebuffer of such a game will always be allocated to the faster memory, the memory doesn't slow down once it hits 10GB, so that you bring this up at all makes no sense... the fast 10GB is always there and once that limit is hit the devs will need to make sure the slow memory is used for stuff that doesn't need higher bandwidths (CPU stuff for example)

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm pretty sure sound is 100% on the slower pool all the time, and so is the OS and most of the memory used by the CPU. The interleave is permanent in all the modes.

There is no scenario where the slower pool isn't being touched.

exactly, Im sure I remember some interview with Jason super beard that said the slower ram is used for the os and cpu/sound etc leaving the 10gb for the gpu. Plus we know the Xbox os is 1080p and 2.5gb.

I can’t seem to find out how big Sony’s full fat 4k hdr os is? Does anyone know? I could see it being 3gb to 3.5gb easily.

I'm pretty sure sound is 100% on the slower pool all the time, and so is the OS and most of the memory used by the CPU. The interleave is permanent in all the modes.

There is no scenario where the slower pool isn't being touched.
The cpu isnt locked in using the slower pool, the os doesnt make any difference and sound is minimal is mbps. The cpu is free to use both pools its only forced to use the slower pool when games are memory intensive, this is how i see it theres trade offs in both system designs, both consoles are essentially 448gb/s but in different configurations

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Jesus christ marry mother of god. games wont your not getting the point ur just typing meaningless sentences, what i mean is both consoles have mo problem running games that require more vram aka triple a nextgen games or quality modes in games at 4k30/60. The series x has a slight resolution advantage or headroom when it comes to 120fps mode this are games that dont use alot of vram per frame because series x has higher bandwidth when accessing just 10gb

The os of ps5 might be using lower memory than series x since the ps4 used less memory aswell than xbone this could be because of playstations low level api! But also ps5 has an extra 512mb of ddr4 ram on board

are you really triggered or something? You seem to be. It’s just a convo, man. You are making some sense in lower res uses less vram but I don’t think there is a chance in hell that Tony hawks is using more vram than 10gb at 4k.

I could maybe see avengers using more than 10gb but that is an insanely good looking game, and the Xbox never drops res at 4k 60 quality mode like the ps5 so it doesn’t add up.
have you entertained the idea that the Xbox is more powerful than the ps5, this is a known fact that has been in the public domain for a long time now.

DaGwaphics

I've never seen anything on what the PS5 is reserving for the OS.

Both X1 and PS4 had 5GB available for games and 3GB reserved for the OS. With 1X and PS4 Pro being 9GB/3GB and 5.5GB/2.5GB+1GB of slow memory.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Both X1 and PS4 had 5GB available for games and 3GB reserved for the OS. With 1X and PS4 Pro being 9GB/3GB and 5.5GB/2.5GB+1GB of slow memory.

that’s what I thought, then Sony opted for a 4k os this time. That’s not going to be small.

DaGwaphics

The cpu isnt locked in using the slower pool, the os doesnt make any difference and sound is minimal is mbps. The cpu is free to use both pools its only forced to use the slower pool when games are memory intensive, this is how i see it theres trade offs in both system designs, both consoles are essentially 448gb/s but in different configurations

The OS is definitely locked to the slower pool, running in a VM that has been directly addressed space there. That and the sound being there ensures that there is no mode using a pure 560GBs. Literally can't happen.

first of all, the settings are not paired back, at least we don't know if they are.
second of all, the ram speeds of both are more than enough to hit 120fps in a game like those. (CoD can run at 120fps easily and should need way more bandwidth than THPS simply due to the effects overload it has alone)
third, the framebuffer of such a game will always be allocated to the faster memory, the memory doesn't slow down once it hits 10GB, so that you bring this up at all makes no sense... the fast 10GB is always there and once that limit is hit the devs will need to make sure the slow memory is used for stuff that doesn't need higher bandwidths (CPU stuff for example)
You know u seem to just reply without thinking. Any video game uses lesser graphical settings at higher frame rates. The lower the frame rate the higher the graphics fidelity the more memory used and the higher the frame rates the lesser the graphical settings and the less the memory used! I dont know why were even discussing this!

Secondly you seem to think its just easy to put slower things on slower ram and faster things on faster ram 🤣🤣🤣🤣 thats not how it works.

The OS is definitely locked to the slower pool, running in a VM that has been directly addressed space there. That and the sound being there ensures that there is no mode using a pure 560GBs. Literally can't happen.
The os is locked on the slower pool yes and this doesnt matter because the os has its own partition, the sound doesnt matter at all its mb/s, the cpu is free to use both pools on the 13.5gb thats accessible for games so you can literally just use 10gb its only in memory intensive games where youll need to use the full 13.5 allocated for games and thus slowing down the bandwidth

Banned
You know u seem to just reply without thinking. Any video game uses lesser graphical settings at higher frame rates. The lower the frame rate the higher the graphics fidelity the more memory used and the higher the frame rates the lesser the graphical settings and the less the memory used! I dont know why were even discussing this!

Secondly you seem to think its just easy to put slower things on slower ram and faster things on faster ram 🤣🤣🤣🤣 thats not how it works.

"Any video game uses lesser graphical settings at higher frame rates" what? since when? is that a rule? do devs need to go to jail if they don't obey to this rule? do you have definitive proof that THPS uses lower settings in its 120fps mode? if so show me.

do I need to go to jail because I lowered only the resolution on Evil Within to get above 100fps and not any other settings? in fact I upped the settings!... OH NO! THE GAME SETTINGS POLICE WILL COME AND GET ME!

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The os is locked on the slower pool yes and this doesnt matter because the os has its own partition, the sound doesnt matter at all its mb/s, the cpu is free to use both pools on the 13.5gb thats accessible for games so you can literally just use 10gb its only in memory intensive games where youll need to use the full 13.5 allocated for games and thus slowing down the bandwidth
I think you are completely confused here. Do you use a pc at all? Are you just talking about consoles?

I mean, on my pc I can run a game at 4k ultra and hit 60fps in some games, then if I drop it to 1080p I’ll hit like 144, none of the settings have changed. It’s just lower res.
"Any video game uses lesser graphical settings at higher frame rates" what? since when? is that a rule? do devs need to go to jail if they don't obey to this rule? do you have definitive proof that THPS uses lower settings in its 120fps mode? if so show me
I think they must be talking about consoles only. I could see a small drop in settings and resolution on a console but it would need to be seen, and the drop in res would be a bigger hit to the vram requirement than most other settings outside of textures.

are you really triggered or something? You seem to be. It’s just a convo, man. You are making some sense in lower res uses less vram but I don’t think there is a chance in hell that Tony hawks is using more vram than 10gb at 4k.

I could maybe see avengers using more than 10gb but that is an insanely good looking game, and the Xbox never drops res at 4k 60 quality mode like the ps5 so it doesn’t add up.
have you entertained the idea that the Xbox is more powerful than the ps5, this is a known fact that has been in the public domain for a long time now.
Im not triggered im just tryna make sense of ur comments, They could be using more than 10gb or less remeber consoles share vram its not like on pc where your gpu is 8gb and system ram/cpu is 32, about the power its all theoretical series x has more shading capabilities and ps5 has faster shading capabilities different strengths only the games will show which is powerful and nextgen games havent come out yet.

I think you are completely confused here. Do you use a pc at all? Are you just talking about consoles?

I mean, on my pc I can run a game at 4k ultra and hit 60fps in some games, then if I drop it to 1080p I’ll hit like 144, none of the settings have changed. It’s just lower res.

I think they must be talking about consoles only. I could see a small drop in settings and resolution on a console but it would need to be seen, and the drop in res would be a bigger hit to the vram requirement than most other settings outside of textures.
You just answered yourself you can run a game at 4k 60 and 1080 144 so you cut back the resolution to hit 144 frames per second something has to give its similar to consoles quality modes are typicaly 4k30/60 and performance modes are dynamic 4k60 and 120fps modes are 1080p the higher the frame rate the lower the graphics this is maths.

Mr Moose

What game are you talking about here?

Mr Moose

I'm guessing Marvel Avengers. But if I'm not wrong the resolution is variable in that game on both platforms. I'm well aware the XSX has the advantage but it's a variable resolution not a fixed one.
Yeah, it's not 60fps in quality mode either so I was confused.

Yeah, you guys are right it's variable on both just looks like the xbox doesn't drop as often or as much.

Its a bit strange to compare the two because one is CBR while the other isn't. So when the CBR solution is outputting a higher resolution than the DRS one it doesn't mean the image is more clear.

Rudius

That higher 1440p on series x could be because of the higher bandwidth on the 10gb pool this makes the console faster in games that dont consume more than 10gb of memory budgets in short sub 4k and last gen games. Games that typically use 5gb of ram

Take 560gb/s / 120fps = 4.6gb this is how much memory this game is uses at 120fps on series x could be why it could achieve 1440p

And on ps5
448gb/s / 120fps = 3.7gb the amount of memory budget it uses for this game at 120fps and probably why its 1080p but could be anything its just my hunch since dirt 5 runs at 900p at 120fps on ps5 and 1080p at 120fps on series x then again some games run on same resolutions at 120fps on both consoles.

The other reason why we see in quality modes the same resolutions on both is because both consoles generally use the same bandwidths at 30fps 4k
When games consume above 10+gb of memory budgets
Cause thats (560+ 336)/2 = 448gb/s on xbox and thats the same bandwidths on ps5 so in a game by game case i think the series x would display higher resolutions at lower memory budgets than ps5 but this is just resolutions though.
It's 1440p60 on the Pro. PS5 has double the bandwidth of the Pro. The PS4 runs it at 1080p60.

Cyborg

Got the game on PS5, looks so good. Im all in for 4K60! Its smooth and amazing never played it on PS4!

Concern

Different graphical settings ps4 and pro have lower graphical settings on those resolutions than ps5. Ps4 runs it 1080 60 and ps5 1080 120 get it.

ray liotta laughing GIF

Geordiemp has got some serious competition. Another "engineer" who clearly knows absolutely nothing, playing engineer here lol.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
On series x you literally cant get past the start screen without it crashing.

activision have said nothing and seemingly no patches have gone out to fix it, its a wide spread issue
Really, that sucks I just uninstall the original version and installed it and had no issues.

activision have said nothing and seemingly no patches have gone out to fix it, its a wide spread issue
I installed the next gen version last night and played it for a couple hours today on my SX with no issues whatsoever. I’m curious why it’s only affecting some users. Hope it’s resolved for them soon because it’s a nice upgrade.

SkylineRKR

As someone said this is not a patch. Its a proper next-gen release. You have to download the next-gen version (at least on PS5) at around 26gb. It replaces the old one. There was also some shit about the save game. I lost everything and the cloud probably updated because when I went to the cloud I got a save with nothing it. So I lost all progress. This is not an issue for me, its a good excuse to replay everything and max a character. It never gets old, I'm already at level 5 in TH1.

As for the upgrade. Its good but I don't know if I would've paid for it. The IQ is unmistakenly better, all artefacts and shimmering present in the PS4 Pro edition is gone. The PS5 game is completely clean. The load times went from about 6 ish (on both external T7 as internal PS5) to 3 or 4 ish on internal. I know this because I played TH a lot this week, before the PS5 version came out. Haptics, well, dunno if I like em. You don't want to fuck up a combo do you? Spatial audio is no setting for, but the game slaps through Pulse 3D. I guess its on. 120hz, well, I'm not a fan of this feature in general. Outside of menus I fail to notice it in gameplay while i'm very anal about 30fps (its shit), but its there for those who prefer it.

TLDR: game slapped on last-gen, game slaps on next-gen.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I installed the next gen version last night and played it for a couple hours today on my SX with no issues whatsoever. I’m curious why it’s only affecting some users. Hope it’s resolved for them soon because it’s a nice upgrade.
I really dont want to lose all my save data, i hope thats not the only solution. What bugs me is that they havent acknowledged the issue yet, the game is literally unplayable for some paying customers and no official statement has been put out

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Are you on insider build? Because that what sometimes happens.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I really dont want to lose all my save data, i hope thats not the only solution. What bugs me is that they havent acknowledged the issue yet, the game is literally unplayable for some paying customers and no official statement has been put out

You shouldn't lose your save as all xbox saves are in the cloud.

It sucks Activision haven't said anything though.

Last edited:
I had to uninstall the previous version and then download the next gen version in order to get the upgrade (I paid the $10 to upgrade my standard digital copy) and my old save data was available and ready seamlessly. Might be worth a shot if you aren’t hearing anything from Activision.

v_iHuGi

Banned

Should be around 13gb for games & 3GB for the rest.

DaGwaphics

Should be around 13gb for games & 3GB for the rest.

They might have whittled it down some thanks to the SSD. It looks like MS got it down to 2.5GB on XSX and maybe only 2GB on XSS (maybe since it doesn't do 4k capture?). The better CPU and faster storage should lessen ram usage.

Neo_game

That higher 1440p on series x could be because of the higher bandwidth on the 10gb pool this makes the console faster in games that dont consume more than 10gb of memory budgets in short sub 4k and last gen games. Games that typically use 5gb of ram

Take 560gb/s / 120fps = 4.6gb this is how much memory this game is uses at 120fps on series x could be why it could achieve 1440p

And on ps5
448gb/s / 120fps = 3.7gb the amount of memory budget it uses for this game at 120fps and probably why its 1080p but could be anything its just my hunch since dirt 5 runs at 900p at 120fps on ps5 and 1080p at 120fps on series x then again some games run on same resolutions at 120fps on both consoles.

The other reason why we see in quality modes the same resolutions on both is because both consoles generally use the same bandwidths at 30fps 4k
When games consume above 10+gb of memory budgets
Cause thats (560+ 336)/2 = 448gb/s on xbox and thats the same bandwidths on ps5 so in a game by game case i think the series x would display higher resolutions at lower memory budgets than ps5 but this is just resolutions though.
We do not know how much memory these cross gen games are using. Other games in 120fps mode I think were using same settings. So I guess it has more to do with the coding for this game and the dev did not want to bother with it.

We do not know how much memory these cross gen games are using. Other games in 120fps mode I think were using same settings. So I guess it has more to do with the coding for this game and the dev did not want to bother with it.
Its just my assumption theres a million things wrong with crossgen games and even more with my assumption but its just a good logical guess by looking at the paper specs, as we know theres more to engineering than paper specs!

Top Bottom