• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Uncertain if PS5 Pro will happen this gen. PS5 with detachable drive might just be a “gen 2” or Regular PS5

gimmmick

This.

We've yet to get games developed exclusively for next gen from Sony first party. I'd forgo the introduction of a PS5 Pro in favor of a PS6 launch window brought forward by a few years.

Because feck another gen carrying on for close to 8 years.

The longer the generation the better. I’m married with a kid and having to plead with my wife for me to spend 500 on a gaming console isn’t something I wanna do every 5 years. (Lit just got my ps5 gow bundle last nov , need this sucker to last me at least 6 years).

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The company can barely keep up with demand with its original stock and now people want a ps5 pro?
Has zero to do if they will bring any new console to market if it’s a PS5 Pro or a PS6.

If the suits at Sony and Xbox think they can sell us a pro model we will get them.

They don’t give a shit about anything other than dollars and people who think differently are fooling themselves

The longer the generation the better. I’m married with a kid and having to plead with my wife for me to spend 500 on a gaming console isn’t something I wanna do every 5 years. (Lit just got my ps5 gow bundle last nov , need this sucker to last me at least 6 years).

You married the wrong lady.

Lol, kidding.

No I get you its not a cheap thing to buy is a new console. Often times I have to make a 'business case' to my partner for why I need new aftermarket parts for my car :messenger_grinning_sweat:. I'm getting ceramic tints fitted tomorrow and my pitch for that was 'reduced heat in the car, harmful UV rays and privacy' for my camera gear which often lies on the back seat. She gave me the approval so all good lol.

Can you imagine what miracle i had to pull out my arse to get her approval to fit 19 inch wheels to my car 😂

Last edited:
With gaas being a thing and full backwards compatibility plus graphics upgrades to your existing library the days of a new generation console having a clean break from current gen is over we might as well all embrace mid generation refreshes and longer cross generation periods. It took a while for me to accept it but it is what it is, if Sony and Microsoft can sell an upgrade of their current console that shows tangible benefits they know they'll find a sizable audience it's good business.

I just want all of their studios making new games optimized for a single piece of hardware (the biggest advantage of having a console) and have their support studios porting the finished games to PC.

Leave the Pro version alone. As someone said, the Pro was mainly because 4K was taking of and it's clear TV manufacturers havent' been able to sell those 8k screens and there's barely reasons to upgrade anyway.

supernova8

Banned
> Has heard news

> Doesn't share news

So much to discuss! /s
He obviously does have access to stuff (or people who know stuff) based on his leaks for Battlefield 2042 (even if they were extremely annoying and drip-fed, which makes me think he was actually paid by EA to do guerilla marketing).

But yeah there's something annoying about the way Tom Henderson operates (not quite as annoying as Jeff Grubb though, obviously).

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So latest rumor on this from what I am hearing is some internal discussion going on about the price point of a premium sku

From what I gather if they were to try and push a pro out next year Sony at least was looking as low at $599 up to a $999 price point and a lot of push back on those prices

I personally would have no problem paying a $999 price for a decked out premium PS5 Pro but I know I am far from the norm.

Even goes back a few weeks of Jez asking on his Twitter if people were will to pay $999 for a premium Xbox

So latest rumor on this from what I am hearing is some internal discussion going on about the price point of a premium sku

From what I gather if they were to try and push a pro out next year Sony at least was looking as low at $599 up to a $999 price point and a lot of push back on those prices

I personally would have no problem paying a $999 price for a decked out premium PS5 Pro but I know I am far from the norm.

Even goes back a few weeks of Jez asking on his Twitter if people were will to pay $999 for a premium Xbox
Yeah, I think a premium sku obviously needs to have enough "power" to make it worth the upgrade and that'll come at a cost. Even if the focus is on improved RT and 60fps it's still going to be expensive. It also wouldn't be their main focus just as the PS4 Pro wasn't. If this does come out I'll buy it too but I know it'll probably be at least $200-$300 more than a standard PS5.

Stooky

A Xbox pro release. So Xbox would have 3 skus out? Xss, xsx, xsx pro? The pro would be $600+ ? I doubt it

magnumpy

presumably generation upgrades would come less often now because technology scaling has slowed. PS5 gen=~8 years? or something ._.

the only thing is a lot of people have become used to 60 fps+ and that will not last forever. PS5 pro back from the dead? maybe one day, I mean we'll see how this generation develops. I could see them developing just a digital PS5 with an optional disc add-on because that's just simpler to manage from an inventory perspective.

things will look very different from right now in 2+ years time that's for sure...

Give me a double 5nm GPU, increase RAM and more storage, and I, too, would pay $999 for a top-spec PS5 Pro that can take me well into a couple of years after the PS6 is released, giving the developers more time to put out some exclusive, next-gen games.

Last edited:

murmulis

You all are right, we don't need a PS5 Pro today. But we will need it in 2024/2025, these things take time to deliver on so I rather have them thinking about it today to deliver in few years.
We will still be getting crossgen games in 2025.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Give me a double 5nm GPU, increase RAM and more storage, and I, too, would pay $999 for a top-spec PS5 Pro that can take me well into a couple of years after the PS6 is released, giving the developers more time to put out some exclusive, next-gen games.
It seems like a recipe for more cross generation games. I think all that R&D money is better saved and spent on an amazing PS6 rather than diluted in two projects. With PS4 Pro they were trying not to lose players to PC in the tail end of the generation, but now they actually port the big games to PC after a year or two and PS5 is not close to be maxed out, possibly a lot further from that point compared to PS4 at the same time.

The days of easy node shrinks to increase performance and cut costs are over, the answer is not to release HW more often unless true revolutions happens… Repeating: https://www.neogaf.com/posts/266215175/

Last edited:

I never doubted they'd release a Pro. I think $599 min for next year. I hope they won't do the same mistake with the Pro and target the highest specs they can this time. The $300 PS4 vs $400 Pro was always a bit ridiculous IMO. Pro should have cost $500 with better specs (notably faster memory). People wanting to buy the cheaper version will buy a PS5. No need for a system only $100 more expensive.

For the APU I think 5nm with double CUs is highly logical (and the easiest to do). They could also overclock the CPU / GPU quite high (as they have a great cooling tech this time, pretty sure they'll further improve it). The only thing I wonder is what are they going to do with the ram. Are they going to double it or add some DD4 ram for system OS in order to allocate more GDDR6 ram for the games?

Last edited:

Lysandros

I guarantee upgrade will come. It was never easier for devs and manufacturers to make them. And im sure rdna 3 is extremly efficient in the midrange with lowered clocks. Thats why the sx is more efficient than the ps5. Few cores high clock vs more cores low clock. Sx takes 150-170W average at gaming. Ps5 tops out at 200W Average. (the new n6 chip version is now the same efficiency). unless ms will do the same to the sx.
I guess you know this higher power consumption efficiency comes with the cost of having lesser GPU fixed function throughout besides the cache side of things right? It's still a fairly good trade depending on priorities though.

Freeza93

Banned
I guess you know this higher power consumption efficiency comes with the cost of having lesser GPU fixed function throughout besides the cache side of things right? It's still a fairly good trade depending on priorities though.
Its this way since originally Ps 5 was 9 tf , ms did showcase. Sony oc it dynamic boost to reach 10 tf. Of course that will need more power than fixed clock.

The 6 nm Ps5 Chip is now equal to the sx in terms of efficiency.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
What the heck, a ps5 slim AND a Pro ? Sony isn't making it easier for me, I mean, I want a PS5 (slim or not) but if a Pro model is scheduled to release just 1 year after the slim I might as well wait, thing is, if the Pro releases in 2024 it's gonna be what ? 2 years before we get a PS6 ?
Damned FOMO...

What the heck, a ps5 slim AND a Pro ? Sony isn't making it easier for me, I mean, I want a PS5 (slim or not) but if a Pro model is scheduled to release just 1 year after the slim I might as well wait, thing is, if the Pro releases in 2024 it's gonna be what ? 2 years before we get a PS6 ?
Damned FOMO...
Don't worry, they won't release a PS6 2 years after the Pro. I am expecting min 3 years after. Maybe 4. Mostly because the tech (2 nm?) has to be ready (and cheap) for a sufficient next-gen leap.

kainslayer

Neo Member
Don't worry, they won't release a PS6 2 years after the Pro. I am expecting min 3 years after. Maybe 4. Mostly because the tech (2 nm?) has to be ready (and cheap) for a sufficient next-gen leap.
i would agree with you but i dont think we will see cheap tech again for quite a while....then again i will be pleasantly surprised if we do

Muay Ninja

They only just decided they would drop support for the PS4 from a development pov. No way is a Pro model or even a PS6 needed when they haven't even gotten the best out of the PS5 yet.

NeonDelta

Games will always go for 30fps as the gen progresses no matter how much teraflops they have available. Graphics will always be pushed harder and harder. The only reason there was a PS4 Pro last gen was because there was a need for a 4K Blu-ray device on the market. And as far as 8K is concerned PS5 already have this covered.
the PS4 Pro didnt have a 4K blu ray drive in it and the PS5 doesnt have an 8k Blu ray drive in it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
PS4 Pro was because people were buying 4K TVs and Sony didn’t want people to abandon PS4 for PC because PS4 was a 1080p machine. Even then only around 20% of PS4s sold were Pro. Sony doesn’t have a selling point on PS5 outside of nerds who watch Digital Foundry and that’s not enough to release a new system.

Considering Switch is STILL the most popular console, it is evidence that virtually nobody cares about the sort of discussions that are routine and obsessive on forums like that.

Last edited:

Salz01

I’d rather have them focus on FSR scaling tech, getting that to work right. And then focusing on PS5 only, and not cross gen. Then based off that output, revisit PRO upgrades, which would even be about a version of a laptop 3060. Which will be outdated already.

mrmustard

Banned
I think there will be a PS5 pro. Why? Because Microsoft could work on a Series X Pro and Sony wouldn't risc to have an even bigger power discrepancy. But who knows, maybe they made an agreement and there will be no Pro models at all.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Interested Spock GIF by Star Trek

SHA

Forspoken looks washed-out and inferior to pc , why not ? , remember the 4 pro happened cause they were in a depressed state , not because some dudes likes to show up , they won't listen to those guys , not in a million years, just like now , they aren't really in a similar situation to call for pro but anything could happen from a depressed state.

Last edited:
https://insider-gaming.com/ps5-wireless-earbuds-sony/

"Although not confirmed by sources, what makes both products’ release dates particularly interesting is their proposed release date. Last year, Insider Gaming exclusively reported that Sony is developing a new PlayStation 5 with a detachable disc drive, which is expected to hit shelves in September 2023. If both scheduled release dates are met, it could suggest that Sony is planning a serious relaunch of sorts for the console."

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I'm in the same boat. I don't know if I can wait until the fall though.

Same thing here friend, thing is, what if they also release a pro model in 2024 ? The FOMO is going to be real, I mean, I've been waiting for 2+ years now and i'd hate for it to be the case, decisions, decisions...

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
I have a $3,500 PC and I still game on my PS5. It's about the entire experience not just pushing pixels and frames.
Funny, I have 2x PCs like that (RTX 3080 and RX6900XT), but also still only game on the PS5. Sofa gaming is just too comfortable.

Top Bottom