• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Uncertain if PS5 Pro will happen this gen. PS5 with detachable drive might just be a “gen 2” or Regular PS5

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Sony isn't going to give up on selling you non-ugly sides four your console.

So I expect the new model to look the same.

Last edited:
Pro is likely happening whether we speculate it is or not. I’m basing this of the allegedly reliable Rockstar leaker who claimed the studio got their hands on the next-gen refreshes.

Just because Tom hasn’t heard, it doesn’t mean much, he only reports on like 5% leaks anyway.

Go_Ly_Dow

Skip the pro, PS5 ain't been utilised yet. Only from this year will we see some of it's potential tapped into. FFXVI, Spiderman 2 etc and I'm sure that'll be just the start.

Make things easier for the devs and then get the PS6 out in 2027-28

Ezekiel_

Banned
A slim model Digital only SKU with optional disc drive attachment with plenty of supply would do wonders. That's all they need.

I have a hard time seeing how a Pro would be marketed. We are in the third year of this gen. If it's not coming this year, then when? For it to have any reasonable chance to get supported, it can't get released to far from half gen. So unless this is a 10 year gen...

The PS4 Pro was clearly made for addressing the growing popularity of 4K TVs. What would a PS5 Pro address?

If you're head of PlayStation, at this point, would you rather sell two PS5s, or one PS5 Pro? I think it's clear they rather flood the market with PS5s.

If the pandemic never happened, then yeah I could see some sort of a Pro model released at half gen. But now? Nah

Both were made because the generation launched with underpowered Jaguar CPUs. That's not a problem this gen.
Shuhei Yoshida was talking about it himself during one of the interviews.
And it makes sense, because if they were "underpowered" they could easily have held out and develop PS5.

Besides, let's be honest, PS4 Pro was basically just a PS4 with 2 GPUs.

Last edited:
4K TVs and 4K media becoming mainstream in the mid-2010s and laughably underpowered CPUs in both the PS4 and Xbox One made the need for Pro versions a necessity just to close the gap until the next-gen consoles arrived in 2021. The main talking points I've heard for the last 2+ years has been ray-tracing and 120fps gaming, which neither the XSX nor PS5 do very well without severe downgrading of graphics settings and resolution. If we do get Pro versions this gen, it will be to showcase what real high-quality ray-tracing can accomplish in games and to guarantee solid 120fps in games that have that setting.

Wait, other people are buying the PS5?

Shit, and here I am not following the crowd! I better re-think my comments.

My reply meant: a console is meant to play games, if it's big or small is completely irrelevant...

You talk about a console like it's forniture that you buy at IKEA

SafeOrAlone

Banned
My reply meant: a console is meant to play games, if it's big or small is completely irrelevant...

You talk about a console like it's forniture that you buy at IKEA
Actually, whether or not the size of the console is relevant is completely up to each consumer.

I'm not competing for the popular opinion. I'm explaining why I do not want a PS5 right now - the laughable size of the machine. It's goofy and cumbersome.

I will say I'm getting a good laugh at the idea of product-size somehow not being relevant. Would you want a 10-ft remote control, as long as it changes the channel?

Hell, maybe you have a bigger place than I do. Good for you. Not everyone can house an elephant.

Last edited:
I don't want to see a PS5 Pro of Xbox Series X X. Tap the current hardware out and if you start coming up short then lets move on to the next gen.

This gen doesn't need a "Pro" revision and frankly I hope one doesn't come.

It only happened last gen because they launched with already deeply underpowered hardware and we had a display format transition mid gen when 4k became mainstream. That's not going to happen this time.

MaKTaiL

they should do a PRO revision in the future as games are already going 30fps.
Games will always go for 30fps as the gen progresses no matter how much teraflops they have available. Graphics will always be pushed harder and harder. The only reason there was a PS4 Pro last gen was because there was a need for a 4K Blu-ray device on the market. And as far as 8K is concerned PS5 already have this covered.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

A base model toned down could cut the legs completely from under MS.

No disk, cut the internal storage drive down to 512gb etc. The unit wouldn't be gimped, upgradable and probably priced aling with the Series S.

NickFire

A base model toned down could cut the legs completely from under MS.

No disk, cut the internal storage drive down to 512gb etc. The unit wouldn't be gimped, upgradable and probably priced aling with the Series S.
I doubt they can reduce the price that much by removing only around a 1/3 of the storage from the diskless version.

unlurkified

Feels unlikely at this point, but it sure would be nice if they do release one. Native 4K or close to it at 60fps for current-gen games would be great. Too many game’s performance modes have felt lacking imo. Can they get the GPU to 16+ tflops though?

Woopah

I will definitely want a disk drive so this move won't change much for me. I'm waiting on a price drop and good bundle before diving in.

demigod

PS4 Pro was made because Sony had internal stats that showed about half way through the life of a console people were migrating to PCs when new hardware came out so the Pro was basically just giving people a new toy.

It was all about the bottom line keeping people in the ecosystem and buying more games, nothing more
Yeah, Sony did say they viewed PC as competition and had to sort of keep up with them.
I think demand has leveled off as I am seeing them in stores all over the place and over the weekend a Best Buy near Louisville KY had a ton of them sitting on a display on the floor and stacked 4 deep on a wall behind customer service
Which consoles? And if PS5 was it the GoW bundle?
Funny enough breaking "news" from a China outlet reporting the PS5 Pro is releasing THIS April

Cracking Up Reaction GIF
Didn't you say the pro is in the works? It wouldn't surprise me if the slim releases in April, it could make way to a cheaper version of the pro with also a detachable disc drive.

LordOfChaos

I don't understand calling it a 2.0 model that isn't a Slim. It's going to be smaller, right? Not having to build in the disk drive it would have to be, unless it's only as small as the PS5 DE already

I never expected it to be a Pro nor do I think most people did, a unifying chassis to cut production costs yes

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah, Sony did say they viewed PC as competition and had to sort of keep up with them.

Which consoles? And if PS5 was it the GoW bundle?

Didn't you say the pro is in the works? It wouldn't surprise me if the slim releases in April, it could make way to a cheaper version of the pro with also a detachable disc drive.
Yes the ones I saw in Best Buy were mainly the GOW bundle

And yes I am 99% certain a Pro is in the works and was scheduled to release this holiday but seems to have been put on hold but look for it next year

Gobjuduck

Banned
The ps4 was shoddy and came out too early. Within a year it sounded like a fighter jet taking off from a hanger. Good thing Sony had the software side down.

Xbox was able to release the one x, which was more powerful and sexier. That hardware position gave Xbox some redemption, in time for red dead redemption 2.

I think Sony will have a weaker midgen with the ps5, in terms of software. They might need hardware to excite the market, especially the Japanese market.

Last edited:

Elios83

Quite frankly the only fact that he's the only one hearing about these things makes it suspicious.
Just my opinion but I wouldn't release a Pro before the end on 2024 anyway.
2023 should be about leaving shortages behind everywhere in the world, PSVR2, PS5 Slim and great games taking full advantage of the hardware we already have.

Ps5 pro will still be treated like a Ps5 with higher settings just like Ps4 and its pro variant Sony already proved that they'll treat the base model like a first class citizen so I'm all for it and can't wait to buy mine 😀

Leonidas

With the cost per transistor going up, and the standard PS5 price not dropping, I wonder what a PS5 Pro would even cost? $599? $699 for a console?

TLZ

Banned
Good. I don't feel like we need one this time. The gen 2 PS5 on the other hand sounds much more interesting.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
PS5 pro will happen because Sony are going to looking to higher revenue growth. No different to wanting higher revenue from tapping into the PC market.

Higher fps/resolution and better RT, all obvious improvements.

gimmmick

The company can barely keep up with demand with its original stock and now people want a ps5 pro?

How about create games from the ground up for the ps5 and stop doing cross gen development. Since last generation dragged on for a long period of time , both companies were able to pump out a console with plenty of horse power. Correct me if I’m wrong but the only reason we got a ps4 pro was because the original hardware couldn’t do 4k?

Freeza93

Banned
It will be called the Xbox Series XL
Now its name is Series Elite. release fall 24.

Don’t believe anything these twitter morrons say. Sony and all other big companies know how the game is played. The „ rumors“ you hear and get „leaked“ cones mostly directly from them.

If they would announce now that a pro will come. A lot of people would simply wait for that console.

So saying it will never come,not directly of course then announcing few months from release. assures that the waiters buy the regular Ps5 and doubble dipp. Whatever makes more money. Not to mention if the people buy now a ps5 they also will buy Games and ps plus and controllers and what not. a waiter would not.

I guarantee upgrade will come. It was never easier for devs and manufacturers to make them. And im sure rdna 3 is extremly efficient in the midrange with lowered clocks. Thats why the sx is more efficient than the ps5. Few cores high clock vs more cores low clock. Sx takes 150-170W average at gaming. Ps5 tops out at 200W Average. (the new n6 chip version is now the same efficiency). unless ms will do the same to the sx.

Don’t believe anything spencer and jim are saying. they want your money. You never trust people who only want your money.

especially don’t believe twitter leakers who are under nda and are only marketing gadgets for big corps.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i hope the next gen console will remove 30 fps completely, and 60fps will be the standard.

The company can barely keep up with demand with its original stock and now people want a ps5 pro?

How about create games from the ground up for the ps5 and stop doing cross gen development. Since last generation dragged on for a long period of time , both companies were able to pump out a console with plenty of horse power. Correct me if I’m wrong but the only reason we got a ps4 pro was because the original hardware couldn’t do 4k?
This.

We've yet to get games developed exclusively for next gen from Sony first party. I'd forgo the introduction of a PS5 Pro in favor of a PS6 launch window brought forward by a few years.

Because feck another gen carrying on for close to 8 years.

Last edited:

Freeza93

Banned
i hope the next gen console will remove 30 fps completely, and 60fps will be the standard.
30 will never go away. because you cant market 60 fps as well as shiny raytracing graphics.

But maybe if more and more people will get a 120 hz screen 40 fos modes will be the new 30. 10 fps doesnt sound like a much but it sits exactly halfway beetween 30 and 60 fps when it comes to smoothness, especially on 120hz.

Forbidden west has exceptionally good graphics modes. 30/40 and unlocked.

Top Bottom