• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Uncertain if PS5 Pro will happen this gen. PS5 with detachable drive might just be a “gen 2” or Regular PS5

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Sorry for the double post but :
I've found a couple of available PS5's (GOW Ragnarök bundle for 595€) and i'm ready to pull the trigger but...we KNOW there's a new PS5 incoming (Slim or whatever) in a few months, OCD too stronK my guys, don't know what to do, it's just that i want to play some quality shit, i've had it with the XSX and the gamepass fodder that i've been playing for the past couple of months (or, should i say "years"), I NEED to play TLOU2, Returnal, Demon's souls, Gow Ragnarok,FF7Remake now dammit...

Opinions ? Wait or grab it now ? Good things come to those who wait but... I'm an impatient person.

Unknown?

I've found a couple of available PS5's (GOW Ragnarök bundle for 595€) and i'm ready to pull the trigger but...we KNOW there's a new PS5 incoming (Slim or whatever) in a few months, OCD too stronK my guys, don't know what to do, it's just that i want to play some quality shit, i've had it with the XSX and the gamepass fodder that i've been playing for the past couple of months (or, should i say "years"), I NEED to play TLOU2, Returnal, Demon's souls, Gow Ragnarok,FF7Remake now dammit...

Opinions ? Wait or grab it now ? Good things come to those who wait but... I'm an impatient person.
Who says it's only a few months?

Mr.Phoenix

I think there will be a PS5 pro. Why? Because Microsoft could work on a Series X Pro and Sony wouldn't risc to have an even bigger power discrepancy. But who knows, maybe they made an agreement and there will be no Pro models at all.
The pro consoles have never represented a power differential. The whole point of pro console existing to begin with was to tap into 4K TVs. The OG PS4 remained a 1080p console for the entirety of the last gen.

This gen, these are already 4k consoles. There is absolutely nothing that a pro console brings outside higher framerates. And that's not worth making a pro console for.

I expect sony would be focused o the PS6, to come in 2026/2027.... and if people think the current cross-gen transition phase now was bad... I believe the next one would be 10 times worse. I believe the PS5, coexists with the PS6 for the entirety of the PS6s life and would only get discontinued when the PS7 comes out. The PS6 become the new 4K console, the PS5 would become a 900p-1080p console. And there would probably be a $199 PS5 by then.

Raonak

Banned
Makes sense, developers haven't hit any sort of wall, PS5 is plenty powerful and there's not a resolution jump needed (PS4 went from 1080p to 1440p)

Wooxsvan

The pro consoles have never represented a power differential. The whole point of pro console existing to begin with was to tap into 4K TVs. The OG PS4 remained a 1080p console for the entirety of the last gen.

This gen, these are already 4k consoles. There is absolutely nothing that a pro console brings outside higher framerates. And that's not worth making a pro console for.

I expect sony would be focused o the PS6, to come in 2026/2027.... and if people think the current cross-gen transition phase now was bad... I believe the next one would be 10 times worse. I believe the PS5, coexists with the PS6 for the entirety of the PS6s life and would only get discontinued when the PS7 comes out. The PS6 become the new 4K console, the PS5 would become a 900p-1080p console. And there would probably be a $199 PS5 by then.
pretty much. the diminishing returns on cost to power AND current game budgets will make it pointless to not release on ps5 and ps6 for years

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Sony themselves said the PS4 Pro was because they had internal data that showed people migrated to PC about mid gen and they hoped the Pro would stop them from doing that

As far as this time it seems the talk is shifting from making a pro model to just jumping into the next Xbox and PS6

With how cross gen works now anyhow whats it matter if its labeled PS5 Pro or PS6?

Baki

Earliest would be September. But this is just a rumor, this could all be lies. We don't know if this product will be much slimmer and price is likely to stay the same. So question you want to ask yourself, do you want to wait or spend the next few months enjoying all the games you mentioned or just waiting for details on an apparent redesign? The PS5 is big but it is a nice looking console imo.

I think all this "pro" stuff, having a mid gen upgrade, is a bad idea.

PS4 pro aside, it has never been the practice and it feels like a bit of a cop out by hardware manufacturers.

They need to focus on making the ps5 readily available in stores and stop making games that have to run on PS4 (and Xbox one for multi platform titles) so we can actually see what the developers can do.

Forcing them to make games like Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok etc...to run on PS4 is never going to benefit ps5 owners.

It's time to let that past generation die - the way all others have done - and move forward with some ps5 exclusives.

Last edited:

onQ123

A $299 PS5 mini would shake up things this September so would a $349 price drop for the OG Digital after March

Prices on SSDs have dropped a lot since PS5/ Xbox Series consoles was released probably enough to support the price drop on their own but also a die shrink & less cooling needed will also bring the price down.

they should do a PRO revision in the future as games are already going 30fps.

No, because nobody will buy a $500 console just for extra FPS. 8K? Who the hell has that in their house or better yet, your eyes cant even notice the difference. There is literally no point of a pro model when we are still dealing with majority games being cross gen. We barely even tapped into the capabilities of current consoles.

onQ123

No, because nobody will buy a $500 console just for extra FPS. 8K? Who the hell has that in their house or better yet, your eyes cant even notice the difference. There is literally no point of a pro model when we are still dealing with majority games being cross gen. We barely even tapped into the capabilities of current consoles.
I'll bite: Die shrink means the system will be cheaper to make & will have room to add more parts to the chip & clock it higher for around the same price as the old system. Say they add Ray Tracing hardware that's just as big as the normal GPU & now you have a system that clearly show a difference.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Yeah makes sense. There is little a pro could offer. They would. Or increase io or cpu performance. Probably only gpu

Baki

A $299 PS5 mini would shake up things this September so would a $349 price drop for the OG Digital after March

Prices on SSDs have dropped a lot since PS5/ Xbox Series consoles was released probably enough to support the price drop on their own but also a die shrink & less cooling needed will also bring the price down.
Not happening. They aren’t dropping the price while demand is still sky high.

Last edited:

onQ123

Not happening. They aren’t dropping the price while demand is still sky high.
They did it for PS2 & PS4 while they was already selling like hotcakes.

As greedy as corporations are I don't think they will do a die shrink & redesign while keeping the price $399 & $499.

Sure they could enjoy the large profit margin but their business also benefit from having a large install base where they can sell software & services.

If they keep the price high it would be to keep from having a bad quarter

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Would I spend $500 for a stronger console that would keep current graphics but give me more FPS?

Would I spend up to $1000 for a stronger console that would keep current graphics but give me more FPS?

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

I would 100% and not think twice about it

Would I spend $500 for a stronger console that would keep current graphics but give me more FPS?

Would I spend up to $1000 for a stronger console that would keep current graphics but give me more FPS?

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

I would 100% and not think twice about it
Problem is you are in a minority and minority doesnt sell systems. You are obviously coming from a PC mindset where people spend $3k. Most console players are playing on consoles because they dont want to spend $3K.

MikeM

Problem is you are in a minority and minority doesnt sell systems. You are obviously coming from a PC mindset where people spend $3k. Most console players are playing on consoles because they dont want to spend $3K.
He is coming from a $1k mindset.

There are a healthy amount of gamers who can afford more expensive consoles. The scalper market proved it. I would also be in day 1 for a higher end console for guaranteed 60+ fps. Hell, I wouldn’t even bother with PC if consoles made a commitment to higher fps gaming even at an inflated cost.

//DEVIL//

First of all we do not know shit. just some dude online saying stuff and backtracking every now and then.

the PS5 GOW is CFI 1200 is by far the best version of PS5 you can buy. I got lucky enough that it came with the delta fan too, the quietest fan out there ( I think all the versions of GOW edition PS5 are delta fans but I could be wrong. because 2 of my friends also bought the same bundle and all same fan ).

who to say the newer slim PS5 might not be louder due to the smaller size fan? ( since it a slim anyway, it must be smaller ). the new PS5 1200 series is actually using a way smaller motherboard and smaller nm apu ( CPU/GPU ), so if they were going to use that on a slim body, yeah it will get noisier for sure due to the smaller fan.

But, assuming that is not the case and it's all quiet and everything. what is the problem? you have the same PS5. just a little bigger. if it was so much better to the point you can't resist, sell yours and buy the slim. it's not like you gonna lose lots of money heh.

I believe I made the right choice of selling the CFI 1100 ( made money even back then ) and re-buying the GOW edition. I can't hear anything from my PS5 ) not coil whine or fan or anything outside the blue ray drive which is normal. what more can I ask for?

He is coming from a $1k mindset.

There are a healthy amount of gamers who can afford more expensive consoles. The scalper market proved it. I would also be in day 1 for a higher end console for guaranteed 60+ fps. Hell, I wouldn’t even bother with PC if consoles made a commitment to higher fps gaming even at an inflated cost.
But you cant expect ultra graphics at 4K and 60FPS for $500. There are certain items in the world you can sell at any price and others you have to keep in check. Playstation 3 reveal woke up the whole industry never to fuck up like that again regarding price. People were OK to pay $600 for a phone but not for a console. Today people are ok to pay $1000 for a phone but not for a console, just facts. Scalpers are for the minority, the desperate ones, that is not the majority of people responsible for the current PS5 sales. They arent stupid, they are selling the current gen consoles at a loss BECAUSE they know what will happen if they go for the $700+ price.

Just because you grew up, got a job, doesn't mean there aren't new parents and kids that want affordable products....to play FIFA or Fortnite on. That is the majority of buyers, not someone that has a problem with 55 vs 60fps.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
But you cant expect ultra graphics at 4K and 60FPS for $500. There are certain items in the world you can sell at any price and others you have to keep in check. Playstation 3 reveal woke up the whole industry never to fuck up like that again regarding price. People were OK to pay $600 for a phone but not for a console. Today people are ok to pay $1000 for a phone but not for a console, just facts. Scalpers are for the minority, the desperate ones, that is not the majority of people responsible for the current PS5 sales. They arent stupid, they are selling the current gen consoles at a loss BECAUSE they know what will happen if they go for the $700+ price.

Just because you grew up, got a job, doesn't mean there aren't new parents and kids that want affordable products....to play FIFA or Fortnite on. That is the majority of buyers, not someone that has a problem with 55 vs 60fps.
But no one would force people to buy a $1000 high end console, all I want is just the option to do so

Its like the $200 Edge controller, its not targeting the pure casual gamer who doesn't want to spend extra money

MikeM

But you cant expect ultra graphics at 4K and 60FPS for $500. There are certain items in the world you can sell at any price and others you have to keep in check. Playstation 3 reveal woke up the whole industry never to fuck up like that again regarding price. People were OK to pay $600 for a phone but not for a console. Today people are ok to pay $1000 for a phone but not for a console, just facts. Scalpers are for the minority, the desperate ones, that is not the majority of people responsible for the current PS5 sales.
I don’t need 4K. I have a $2.5k PC with a 7900xt and even it can’t do native 4k in some games at 60fps. 4K is not needed for a good experience.

But to your statement that you can’t have 4k and 60fps on console- there are quite a few that do it- Google it. Its completely a dev decision.

Unless you have surveys or data from a legit source, there is likely room for another Pro model. Unfortunately, only MS and Sony have the numbers from their previous boxes to be able to determine whether it was financially worth it and will be again in the future.

In a world of VRR and 120hz TVs, there should be room for a premium product to exploit it.

NahaNago

If it is true that next gen starts in 2028 then I could see a ps5pro in 2025. It still seems so early to talk about a pro model when I was just finally able to get a ps5 last November. I'd rather they just released a next gen console instead of a pro model.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
This is silly.....why would we even need a Pro yet when there have been next to no PS5 games made so far that haven't been crossgen?

Let's see some pure PS5 only games for a year or so, and then worry about a Pro version.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This is silly.....why would we even need a Pro yet when there have been next to no PS5 games made so far that haven't been crossgen?

Let's see some pure PS5 only games for a year or so, and then worry about a Pro version.
And make PS5 only games and give me the horsepower for ultra 4k settings and higher frame rates

Again no one is forcing you to buy a pro so whats it matter?

Edit- I think of games coming like Starfield and imagine what it could do with an even stronger Xbox

Last edited:
Top Bottom