• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: UbiSoft has greenlit a new Splinter Cell

ManaByte

Gold Member

Ubisoft has greenlit what will be its first mainline Splinter Cell game in a decade.

That’s according to development sources, who told us that the title has been put into production as a means of winning back fans frustrated by recent efforts to revive the franchise in the mobile and VRspaces.

It’s not clear which studios are working on the project, though two people with knowledge of Ubisoft’s plans suggested the new Splinter Cell was being led by a studio outside of its traditional Montreal base.

The title is in an early phase of production, the sources said, but there’s a small chance it could be announced next year.

SJRB

Gold Member
magic8ball-simpsons.gif

Denton

Announce that Clint Hocking is writing and designing it and I might start having a little bit of hope.

Yeah, greenlit a Splinter Cell game that meets their criteria. Stupidly big open world with RPG levelling system, micro transactions for XP increase and barely any resemblance of what made the older games good.

This is likely going to be a disaster but I’ll keep my eyes on it.

ripeavocado

Banned
Greenlit means that the development starts now and it may well be complete modern trash like the new Rainbow Six.

Who cares.

YuLY

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss
Blacklist was a really good game, probably second best in the series behind Chaos Theory. I still have faith that there are some good devs with good intentions at Ubisoft.
I'm not worried like some are about this being multiplayer only or something like that. They would have to be insane to not realise this is the one francise from which people expect a good singleplayer campaign.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Can't wait to see Sam Fisher in high heels and purple hair.
Samantha Fisher.

I would be 100% fine with a female splinter cell protag. The alternatives are

1. Drag out 71 year old Michael Ironside who sounds 71 years old, and will probably be 75 minimum by the time this is out the door. This is the most likely outcome, because people can't let go of a thing they had 20 years ago.
2. Recast Sam Fisher, which didn't go over well with fans last time even though Blacklist was a good game.
3. Have some new male protag, which could be cool, but again would probably not go over well with fans.

So yeah I'll gladly take a skin-tight aeon flux wannabe. In fact if it were up to me, Sam is in the game in a Lambert capacity. He's the new boss.

VulcanRaven

It will be an open-world game most likely. MSGV was great so I wouldn't have a problem with it. Of course a linear game would be better but I doubt Ubisoft would make that. Maybe if it was smaller budget game like the new Prince of Persia.

Last edited:

Paradicia

They REALLY need to cast Michael Ironside as the voice in your ear, like how Lambert was to Sam up until Double Agent. Ironside, as much as I loved him as the voice of Sam, needs to be given a great sendoff. I would prefer for him to nurture a younger, character as the next Sam Fisher - someone who is competent and a worthy successor than for them to force it. I think the series needs a soft reboot to establish itself again - like what Infinite has done for the Halo series. It needs to make sense, and be contextually sound.

Top Bottom