• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Tom Henderson] Sony to Integrate Discord Voice Chat in “The Coming Months”

Draugoth

Gold Member
https://exputer.com/news/playstation/sony-playstation-5/

discord-playstation.jpg.webp

Several sources including the same source who provided details on the “PlayStation Pro” controller several months ago have said that the full integration of discord is coming to PlayStation in the coming months.

It’s understood the integration will happen during version 7.00, with version 6.00 coming in mid-September.

The implementation of discord on the console has been in the QA phase for the past couple of months with progress on the app reportedly “going very well”.

If you’re confused about the integration, it essentially means that you’ll be able to use discord on your PlayStation 5.

In May last year, Sony announced its new partnership with Discord. Jim Ryan, President & CEO said “At PlayStation, we’re constantly looking for new ways to enable players around the world to connect with one another, form new friendships and communities, and share fun experiences and lasting memories.

It’s in this spirit that we’re excited to announce a new partnership with Discord, the communication service popularized by gamers and used by more than 140 million people every month around the world.”

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is probably going to be the same as what they're testing on Xbox right now. Just casting your Discord calls to the console.

I don't think Sony would do something to that level. I think it will be full on integration. Which they may drop like they did with Facebook but I think discord has a much higher chance of sticking around.

ManaByte

I don't think Sony would do something to that level. I think it will be full on integration. Which they may drop like they did with Facebook but I think discord has a much higher chance of sticking around.

People said the exact same thing when the initial Discord/PlayStation deal was announced and it turned out to be identical to what was already on Xbox.

Rac3r

Excellent news. Henderson also mentioned that he has more information on why Sony increased prices. Will be interesting to hear.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
better late than never.

Lets hope this is not the only good news.

ManaByte

How do you know what it is, when it's not released/implemented yet?
You can already link your Discord and PS accounts to display what you’re playing on Discord. When that partnership was announced people overhyped themselves thinking it’d be a full Discord app.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
You can already link your Discord and PS accounts to display what you’re playing on Discord. When that partnership was announced people overhyped themselves thinking it’d be a full Discord app.
To my understanding it's an ongoing collab.

"Our goal is to bring the Discord and PlayStation experiences closer together on console and mobile starting early next year, allowing friends, groups, and communities to hang out, have fun, and communicate more easily while playing games together." - Jim Ryan

"We’re excited to continue our partnership with PlayStation and explore how we can collectively create great shared experiences for your friends and communities." - Clyde

I know there were a lot of concerned people in here that painted hell on the wall, but it's pretty obvious Discord x Playstation is a thing..

Top Bottom