• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Hideo Kojima’s New Horror Game is Dubbed “Overdose”

Both DS2 and the MS cloud partnership weren’t around back then.

It’s probably a prologue and the full game.

Which coincidentally is what Hasan has planned for Abandoned.

your never going to let abandoned go are you?

Thats Good Robert Deniro GIF

Last edited:

Dr Kaneda

Yeah it's a little conspiratorial but I honestly don't think Kojima is working on DS2.

With the directors cut he got to introduce all the features he supposedly wanted in a game like this. What would a DS2 include that isn't already in that? It feels like a totally complete game that absolutely doesn't need a sequel, and Kojima himself in the past as talked about how he doesn't like doing squeals (he never wanted to do MGS2 or any of the subsequent games).

I think Overdose is whatever he's working on next with Sony, either exclusive or multiplatform, and will have Reedus and Margaret Qualley. Maybe it could initially be DS related (bait and switch type thing) and then turn subversive like he did with MGS2 from MGS2, but as a straight squeal? I honestly can't see it.

The team isn't even big enough to work on 3 games. Overdose clearly isn't the MS cloud game, so those are already two separate projects, throw in DS2 and it'd be too much on his plate.

Overdose and the cloud thing could very well be two competing rumors, at least we now know one of them is real.

Both titles are real. Kojima already mentioned it. All we know is that Grubb only had the info of the Xbox title. That does seem to suggest hes unaware of the other title because he’s not getting the info from his source which I’m guessing is from Microsoft.

kyoji

if bitbydeath bitbydeath ends up correct and abandoned is somehow related to kojima and silent hill, everyone on gaf needs to change their avatar to his.
he is correct, and the mystery was solved within the first 20 pages of that epic thread, people just refuse to believe i guess? but check out the snitch twitter. He is legit, and unless hes trolling he has abandon as a banner header.

he is correct, and the mystery was solved within the first 20 pages of that epic thread, people just refuse to believe i guess? but check out the snitch twitter. He is legit, and unless hes trolling he has abandon as a banner header.

That could be his way of teasing Silent Hill. Whatever it is all we know is that Tom got a trailer for a Kojima horror game something that Grubb doesn’t know about.

i thought this whole thing was dead but ya'll trying to pull me back in to team real! come to think of it, some of the coincidences and things surrounding all that were bizarre. thats why so many of us believed it to begin with.

i thought this whole thing was dead but ya'll trying to pull me back in to team real! come to think of it, some of the coincidences and things surrounding all that were bizarre. thats why so many of us believed it to begin with.

When it comes to Overdose nobody leaked it as this cloud title. All Tom said was that Grubb could be talking about it. Grubb never claimed that Overdose is the cloud title if I’m not wrong. Plus we didn’t see the Overdose trailer today so there’s that.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

This is how cults and confidence men operate, y'all are falling for it all over again :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Corndog

Banned
Yeah it's a little conspiratorial but I honestly don't think Kojima is working on DS2.

With the directors cut he got to introduce all the features he supposedly wanted in a game like this. What would a DS2 include that isn't already in that? It feels like a totally complete game that absolutely doesn't need a sequel, and Kojima himself in the past as talked about how he doesn't like doing squeals (he never wanted to do MGS2 or any of the subsequent games).

I think Overdose is whatever he's working on next with Sony, either exclusive or multiplatform, and will have Reedus and Margaret Qualley. Maybe it could initially be DS related (bait and switch type thing) and then turn subversive like he did with MGS2 from MGS2, but as a straight squeal? I honestly can't see it.

The team isn't even big enough to work on 3 games. Overdose clearly isn't the MS cloud game, so those are already two separate projects, throw in DS2 and it'd be too much on his plate.
I don’t see how you can say overdose is clearly not MS. There is not enough info either way.
I kind of doubt he didn’t start anything shortly after DS was done. That trailer belongs to something that he’s been working on.
i think he is doing DS2 next, then this cloud game.

Last edited:
They only showed games coming out in the next year. Could be why they didn’t show anything. Or it is not in development yet.

the real question is what has kojima been working on since death stranding? this xbox game is clearly very early and years away yet. he must have something else that hasnt been revealed yet. he also said he will be at the game awards this year. so either hes going to show this xbox game or something else will be announced between now and december. im leaning towards something else. if he doesnt even have a title for his xbox game, what will he have in just 6 months from now?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

It’s all perspective based, like when they announced a trailer and the day before showed a preview clip, to only show the exact same thing again the next day as the full video.

Many saw that and instantly went to incompetence, meanwhile I saw it as a genius troll move.

deeptech

the real question is what has kojima been working on since death stranding? this xbox game is clearly very early and years away yet. he must have something else that hasnt been revealed yet. he also said he will be at the game awards this year. so either hes going to show this xbox game or something else will be announced between now and december. im leaning towards something else. if he doesnt even have a title for his xbox game, what will he have in just 6 months from now?
When did he said this?

geoff keighley did a Q and A and was asked about kojimas xbox game. sounds like he has no idea what it is and said " it'll probably be a while" before we see anything of it. adds even more fuel that kojima has something else. why is he going to be at the game awards this year? to show what?

Lognor

Banned
Kojima’s been working on a horror game since 2019, it’ll be almost finished soon. DS2 is the next project.
Source? Think he's been working on ds1 more recently and more recently started on ds2 and this xbox game. That reedus guy pretty much confirmed as much.

I think overdose is ds2. Don't think Koji pro could work on 3 games at once
[/QUOT
I think the case is that his next title is most
I think overdose is ds2. Don't think Koji pro could work on 3 games at once

I don't think he's working on three games at once. Basically after Death Stranding he started work on another title which is almost done. Death Stranding 2 and Cloud Fine are the projects that he just started.

So basically release Overdose and then start work on the other two.

Lognor

Banned
If overdose is a separate project and that close to releasing I don't think it'll be the AAA project some ppl expect

Maybe it's two smaller projects (xbox project and overdose ) and then ds2.

Lognor

Banned
I think it's going to be more Silent Hill than Death Stranding if you know what I mean. Silent Hill wasn't exactly a walking sim.
That would be a good middle ground. Not a focus on gunplay but give you a way to defend yourself. Not full action like resident evil.

Do you have any evidence to support that though? In the tweet bitbydeath bitbydeath shared kojima mentioned pt when talking about making a horror game. From what I heard he had something special with pt so why would he not build off that? That from what I've heard didn't have weapons. Correct me if I'm wrong, I never got to play it.

bitbydeath

That would be a good middle ground. Not a focus on gunplay but give you a way to defend yourself. Not full action like resident evil.

Do you have any evidence to support that though? In the tweet bitbydeath bitbydeath shared kojima mentioned pt when talking about making a horror game. From what I heard he had something special with pt so why would he not build off that? That from what I've heard didn't have weapons. Correct me if I'm wrong, I never got to play it.
Silent Hill does have guns, but it’s more melee oriented.

images

Lognor

Banned
Silent Hill does have guns, but it’s more melee oriented.

images
I know, but if kojima wanted to build off pt, he might not include weapons.

I would be okay with no weapons. My favorite silent Hill unironically is shattered memories.

And while I haven't played death Stranding from the previews I saw it seemed like guns were added as an afterthought.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

I don't know if it was a serious Tweet, but didn't Alanah Pearce say a long time ago (that I saw posted again recently) she heard that Silent Hills would require signing a waiver for receiving emails/texts even when not playing the game (I guess via AI?)

It could fit with Kojima's interviews talking about doing a game involving AI/cloud streaming/5G/Horror since before DS released.

deeptech

It's just so frustrating to me, idk what to make of it anymore. But i refuse to believe that he only started to work on a new project now, almost 3 years after DS released. Something had to be cooking these last two years at least besides DS Directors Cut, and Overdose seems like that project. I place my bets on TGA2022

Lognor

Banned
I don't know if it was a serious Tweet, but didn't Alanah Pearce say a long time ago (that I saw posted again recently) she heard that Silent Hills would require signing a waiver for receiving emails/texts even when not playing the game (I guess via AI?)

It could fit with Kojima's interviews talking about doing a game involving AI/cloud streaming/5G/Horror since before DS released.
I saw that too. So if that's true wouldn't that line up with being the Xbox cloud project?

From this part.

Footage shows the character walking through dark corridors with a flashlight in third-person, but it's been suggested that the game can be played in first-person too. A jump scare at the end of the footage shows "GAMEOVER" followed by "A Hideo Kojima Game"… "OVERDOSE".

That’s a dead giveaway it’s going to be more like Silent Hill than Death Stranding. It’s not going to be like Death Stranding where you travel a huge open world delivering packages. Watch some old Silent Hill titles and you will have an idea of what it’s going to be like.

Lognor

Banned
From this part.

That’s a dead giveaway it’s going to be more like Silent Hill than Death Stranding. It’s not going to be like Death Stranding where you travel a huge open world delivering packages. Watch some old Silent Hill titles and you will have an idea of what it’s going to be like.
That... sounds like pt which I do not believe has weapons.

Could it not be instead a walking sim with puzzles along the way, like pt? Once you bring weapons in I think it becomes less scary. Look at resident evil. Kojima is going for the scariest game ever

That... sounds like pt which I do not believe has weapons.

Could it not be instead a walking sim with puzzles along the way, like pt? Once you bring weapons in I think it becomes less scary. Look at resident evil. Kojima is going for the scariest game ever

PT= Silent Hill

Silent Hill had weapons.

PT was just a teaser for Silent Hill.

Top Bottom