• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Tom Henderson] God of War Ragnarok is 40 Hours in Length

hemo memo

Gold Member
"It’s understood that the entire experience is around 40 hours, with 20 hours needed to complete the game’s main story."

So it's 20 hours in length & up to 40 hours for 100% completion (I assume side quests/collectibles?)
Good length. Over that is just too much for me.

Bartski

Gold Member
Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

SSfox

These huge games with needless tons of side stuff. I don't want open world or metroidvania crap always.
Sure, I love original GOW but I skipped all Valkyries and some side quests. I don't feel like doing that stuff as it does not flow with the story and pacing... "oh let me do some side missions now".

I've had whole Saturday playing some old 360 games on 360 and I miss these 7-10 hours normal fucking games like Gears 1,2,3, lost planet, halo, shadows of the damned and so on.
Now, AAA game got to be 30-40 hours long and possibly open world.
Instead of bad side crap, make the main game better. I want to move main events forward

Well, at least tlou2 was normal linear single player game. Just long.
Death Stranding was open world but without much side crap. So it's not all bad.
And if Gow2 is not bad, I will be able to skip uninteresting stuff

edit: 10-20 hours is perfect for single player games. Uncharted 4 is 15 hours and it's really good like that. So I am fine with 15 hours of game and 3 hours of cutscenes. Just dont make me do side crap. It's a waste.
Death Stranding had 40 hours game and 10 hours of cutscenes :p
Sure some games have a lot of lame side quest stuffs, but in GOW 2018 they were all great it pretty much felt it was not side quests but actual main quest, I loved everything in GOW 2018, and i'm excited about everything about GOWR. Santa Monica is one of the rarest western dev that never disappoint.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sure some games have a lot of lame side quest stuffs, but in GOW 2018 they were all great it pretty much felt it was not side quests but actual main quest, I loved everything in GOW 2018, and i'm excited about everything about GOWR. Santa Monica is one of the rarest western dev that never disappoint.
not all great.
"blah blah find my pirate dead sailor men"
"Free the dragon, SO COOL !!!" now do it 3 times exactly the same way.
Some of it is cool and leads to new location but it usually ends with a troll fight too...

I don’t feel that having 3.5 hours of non interactive cut scenes in a 20 hour game is an example of Santa Monica respecting my time.

There are other ways of effective story telling during game play, like the boat sequences dialogue in the first game.

Then these types of games are simply not for you.

It's pretty much a staple of the genre. Maybe you should play something less cinematic and more gameplay focussed like Elden Ring.

Some of us enjoy the use of non-interactive cutscenes, used to break up the gameplay sections to provide story exposition. And I'm sorry but I categorically disagree that the game forcing you to remain stationary in a room, boat or vessel while some NPC talks to you is an effective means of storytelling. It's fucking awful and lazy, and not even compatible with all kinds of non-player-controlled events needed to advance the story.

I don't see why as a player, I must be in control of my character at all times throughout a game. That kind of neurotic thinking leads to shitty storytelling like the whole game story being told through text pads and audio logs.... nah... fuck that.

OZ9000

Banned
These huge games with needless tons of side stuff. I don't want open world or metroidvania crap always.
Sure, I love original GOW but I skipped all Valkyries and some side quests. I don't feel like doing that stuff as it does not flow with the story and pacing... "oh let me do some side missions now".

I've had whole Saturday playing some old 360 games on 360 and I miss these 7-10 hours normal fucking games like Gears 1,2,3, lost planet, halo, shadows of the damned and so on.
Now, AAA game got to be 30-40 hours long and possibly open world.
Instead of bad side crap, make the main game better. I want to move main events forward

Well, at least tlou2 was normal linear single player game. Just long.
Death Stranding was open world but without much side crap. So it's not all bad.
And if Gow2 is not bad, I will be able to skip uninteresting stuff

edit: 10-20 hours is perfect for single player games. Uncharted 4 is 15 hours and it's really good like that. So I am fine with 15 hours of game and 3 hours of cutscenes. Just dont make me do side crap. It's a waste.
Death Stranding had 40 hours game and 10 hours of cutscenes :p
Completely agree.

I think 20 hours for the main campaign sounds nice but 20 fucking hours for side quests?!

Quality > quantity, always.

And I too miss the days when we had linear experiences without added BS.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Then these types of games are simply not for you.
I liked the game play in God of War 2018.

It's pretty much a staple of the genre
I disagree that having 3.5 hours of cutscenes in an action adventure game (outside of ND games) is a staple of the genre.

Some of us enjoy the use of non-interactive cutscenes, used to break up the gameplay sections to provide story exposition.
We all have our preferences (y)

And I'm sorry but I categorically disagree that the game forcing you to remain stationary in a room, boat or vessel while some NPC talks to you is an effective means of storytelling.
You didn’t enjoy hearing Mimir contextualise the universe whilst traversing the world in GoW? I thought that was the best story telling in the game.

It's fucking awful and lazy, and not even compatible with all kinds of non-player-controlled events needed to advance the story.
IMO the laziest form of story telling tends to be cutscenes.

That kind of neurotic thinking leads to shitty storytelling like the whole game story being told through text pads and audio logs.... nah... fuck that.
Different strokes. IMO there’s nothing particularly special about the writing in GoW 2018, the reason I liked it was for the game play and the world design. Games like Ori, Metroid Dread and Elden Ring tell a better story without the hamfistedness.

Kvally

Banned
I don't know man...this makes me pretty moist just thinking about it. Not only did I pre-order the game, but I also pre-ordered the new controller. I would like to day the day off work actually.

Yoboman

I liked the game play in God of War 2018.

I disagree that having 3.5 hours of cutscenes in an action adventure game (outside of ND games) is a staple of the genre.

We all have our preferences (y)

You didn’t enjoy hearing Mimir contextualise the universe whilst traversing the world in GoW? I thought that was the best story telling in the game.

IMO the laziest form of story telling tends to be cutscenes.

Different strokes. IMO there’s nothing particularly special about the writing in GoW 2018, the reason I liked it was for the game play and the world design. Games like Ori, Metroid Dread and Elden Ring tell a better story without the hamfistedness.
There's about 3 hours of cutscenes in 2018 too

No... I'm pretty sure it is. Want examples:

Gears of War 5 = 4hs of cutscenes (receipts)
Halo Infinite = 3.5 hours (receipts)
Devil May Cry 5 = 3 hours (receipts)
Binary Domain = 2.5 hours (receipts)
Ace Combat 7 = 3.5 hours (receipts)

I could go on. There are plenty more examples.

So again, if 3.5 hours of cutscenes is so offensive to you, then you're clearly not a fan of the genre of cinematic action games.

Story =/= storytelling.

The actual backstory content being told by Mimir was great. The method of delivery, not so much. That said, it was basically a method used to hide loading in GOW 2018. So considering that fact I think it worked there.

Other games that become overly reliant on sticking you in a room and talking at you, like Wolfenstien... yeah it's a pretty ineffective means to tell a story. I much preferred the cutscenes in Wolfenstein: The New Order and its sequel to the overreliance on locked-room expository.

Aenima

40h to fully complete a game, means 50-60 hours of gameplay for me. I always take my time zoning out and apreciating small details and eviroments.

Really enjoyed going for the platinum on the 1st one, the Valkyria boss fight was challenging as hell but really felt nice beating it. Curious to see if they also add a very challenging optional boss fight like the 1st game.

ca668ad677ec86bcfd55691ee853d603.gif

Last edited:
I’m unsure how to feel about this.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this the last game in the Norse saga? So you have to wrap up Freya, Thor, AND Odin in 20 hours? Not to mention digging deeper into the Grand Canyon-sized hole that is Krato’s time after GoW 3. Plus any new characters they throw in.

I don’t know, that seems like A LOT to do satisfyingly in 20 hours, though I guess we’ll have to see.

70% sure we wont even get to fight odin. Last boss is probably boi being corrupted by odin and kratos gonna have to be exile from Norse lands.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
stop posting spoilers as a thread name, i didn't want to know how long it is, now i know when to expect the ending, not joking at all man
I also hate this. By the time game comes out, it will be all leaked by these leak assholes.
And then floodgates for spoilers open with embargo week before release.

Tom and other types need to be responsible and like go to jail or something. They break all ndas

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Peopel are so weird, why would you need a clear answer on such a thing? I swear gaming is getting out of hand
It’s a bit cringe worthy. I wouldn’t say anything negative to a creative developer if I was standing right in front of their face or demand anything by being so formal. I understand strong wit, but this happens hourly, weekly, monthly, etc. I’ve tried following the pack and got nowhere. I felt worse afterwards. It’s not a point of sale and it’s ridiculous to be so forward facing and expect the creator’s response. I like what Barlog said.

Over the years it felt like a social club and you followed whoever, jumping around to different feeds for whatever, and sometimes whatever they said made the gaming news. Now a days it feels weird following/responding to people who make a living. Expecting creative leads and directors to refund your game. Trying to exploit the gaming industry because you had a bad day. If the sound in a movie is off do you run to the sound crew’s social media page and demand they answer your questions?

40 hours for just the main story would have been epic but I'm happy with 40+ for all content/plat. I do wonder how all 9 realms are going to be crammed into a similar campaign length of GoW 2018 which only had 5 of them accessible. Granted, 2 of them were optional areas so I imagine the same will apply here, wait and see, either way I'm super hyped.

[Sigma]

I hope it's not filled with them lame ass puzzles like 2018. Hoping the exploration in this game is better because that sucked too. The world was so uninteresting.

tygertrip

I don't understand why so many people want games to last so long nowadays. I remember with Jedi Fallen Order most people conplained it was too short but i thought it was way too fucking long.

The IGN chick said she was 70 hours in and not done, doing a completionist run.
On a side note, anyone else getting tired of industry people not sounding the least bit professional at all? Cory with "fuck that shit". You don't gotta be a suit but you could at least sound like someone over 4th grade.

20 hours is much more approachable for me than 40 - so I’m hoping it’s more on that side of things. One of my main issues with the last one was how long it was

The IGN chick said she was 70 hours in and not done, doing a completionist run.
On a side note, anyone else getting tired of industry people not sounding the least bit professional at all? Cory with "fuck that shit". You don't gotta be a suit but you could at least sound like someone over 4th grade.

No, who cares. They are game designers, not politicians

If you don’t like how they talk on their personal twitter accounts don’t follow them

Last edited:
Top Bottom