• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Call of Duty WILL receive a full release in 2023, and will NOT be a ‘premium DLC’ for MWII

Draugoth

Gold Member
call-of-duty-2023.jpg

Insider Gaming has been able to verify that this year’s title is scheduled to have two Beta weeks, an early access campaign period, and a full marketing strategy consistent with past premium releases. In addition, we were also able to verify that the next entry will still be released on past-generation consoles.

The project was initially supposed to be a premium DLC but then shifted to a full release, currently without a name.

CharlieIntel can corroborate regarding the project initially being an expansion and was shifted to a full premium game

Jason Schreier corroborates as well; what happened was: Treyarch's game was planned for 2023. Early last year, they decided to delay Treyarch's game to 2024 and fill in the blanks with more MW stuff from Sledgehammer. And at some point they decided to frame it as a full release. Also - it’s a continuation of MW2s story. Developed by Sledgehammer games, it’s understood that the title is a huge collaborative project across all of Activision’s Call of Duty studios. The game will have the standard 2 weekend beta, a full marketing campaign and early access campaign similar to MWII.

Finally, Tom Henderson confirms that Call of Duty 2023 will feature the betas, which are already well known in the franchise. This year's title is scheduled to have two weeks of Beta, an early access campaign period and a full marketing strategy consistent with previous premium releases.

Moreover, this Call of Duty will be released on the previous generation of consoles - PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Here are the Call of Duty 2023 dates;
  • Beta 1 Weekend (PS4/PS5) – October 6, 2023 – October 10, 2023
  • Beta 2 Weekend (PS4/PS5/Xbox One/Xbox Series X|S/PC) – October 12, 2023 – October 16, 2023
  • Campaign Early Access (PS4/PS5) – November 2, 2023
  • Full Release (PS4/PS5/Xbox One/Xbox Series X|S/PC) – November 10, 2023

Remembering that everything provided here are rumors and nothing has been officially confirmed.

diffusionx

Gold Member
MW2 is a garbage sequel to 2019 and not even as good as BOCW. Really disappointing game. Maybe these games are getting too much even for Activision to pump out every year. Sadly in six months it will probably be excellent and then AB is going to be like, “haha time to be a good consoomer and preorder the next one”

Last edited:
MW2 is a garbage sequel to 2019 and not even as good as BOCW. Really disappointing game. Maybe these games are getting too much even for Activision to pump out every year. Sadly in six months it will probably be excellent and then AB is going to be like, “haha time to be a good consoomer and preorder the next one”
I've been playing multiplayer on BOCW instead of MWII, because Im already burned out on MWII. It's kind of sad really

The Shepard

The single player was alot worse to I thought in MW2 over MW 2019, played it just last week.

Bridges

Man this kinda sucks actually. The idea of having 2 years of support before the next release was a big selling point to me. Feels like I bought MWII on false pretenses, and even as it is the game is nowhere near as good as the 2019 MW reboot (let alone the actual original MW2).

Anyone who thought MWII was going to be what they hyped up to be, you ran right into this DLC.

Excuse me, I mean full release.

You were not going to have a repeat of the OG MWII, this was just using the name for an incomplete monetization scheme.

phant0m

I still don't feel like MWII is even a full release. I feel like I paid $70 for half a game at this point.
what? you crazy. I feel like MW II is one of the most complete yet, there's an insane amount of content

• Campaign
  • Standard 6v6 multi
  • 3rd person multi
  • Prisoner Rescue (round-based, CSGO/Valorant-style)
  • Invasion
  • Ground War
  • DMZ
  • WZ 2.0
  • Spec Ops
  • Raid
....the hell else do you want, a rub n tug? I think we're getting new maps with S2 next week too

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
cold war zombies was the best cod game in years..
the content stream was amazing.. the zombie community was at its best in years,,

then they fucked it ALLL up.. treyarch is COD the rest can fuck off

Salz01

I was totally fine them skipping a year. Their MW2 felt more like a dlc to MW1 anyways. This will be even more watered down. They should just do a live paid monthly service and be done with it.

What title? You’re full of it and you know it.
Fuck no I’m not. But all right let’s compare with the original modern warfare 2.

-1 campaign vs 1 campaign
-16 6v6 mp launch maps vs 5 battle maps + 10 6v6 maps, 2 of which are cut outs from battle maps.
-16 modes not including HC variants vs 12 modes including battle map modes
-23 spec ops missions vs 3
-guns, I’m too lazy to count, but feel free to prove that it won’t matter because it still has less content. Though the gunsmith is awesome and way better, so this probably wins in the guns department.
-challenges, emblems, calling cards, no point in counting these because let’s face it these aren’t ultimately that important, but the original still launched with more.
-Operators vs factions, difficult to compare.
-1 Hans Zimmer + 1 Lorne Balfe vs 1 Sarah Schachner, love Sarah’s work but the soundtrack doesn’t even compare.

Last edited:

GladiusFrog

Fuck no I’m not. But all right let’s compare with the original modern warfare 2.

-1 campaign vs 1 campaign
-16 mp launch maps vs 10
-16 modes not including HC variants vs 13 modes including battle map modes
-23 spec ops missions vs 3
-guns, I’m too lazy to count, but feel free to prove that it won’t matter because it has less content.

Yea........... going to have to disagree with you. And there is still more FREE content coming.

MW2 2022
- 15 Maps at launch 21 as of Season 2 no additional charge.
-
12 MP modes at launch, 28 total in rotation through-out its seasons.
- 5 large scale spec ops missions with 1 Raid, more being added, for free.
- 51 weapons at launch 55 currently, all new additions free of charge.
- 34 Tactical, Lethal and field Equipment.
- So many attachments its hard to count, some are weapon type specific,
likely around 50-70 maybe even more.
- 20 Perks
- 20 Kill streaks
- Cosmetic Weapon customization through Blueprints/camos/charms etc.
- 14 Vehicles to operate in ground war and invasion.
- 25 Operators at launch.

VS

MW2 2009
-16 Maps at launch an additional 8 added through PAID DLC
-15 MP modes Lifetime.
-23 Spec ops missions.
-46 Weapons.
-
10 pieces of equipment.
-
22 attachments.
-16 Perks.
-19 Killstreaks.

-No cosmetic customization.
-No vehicles.
-No operators, this is old school CoD. (Nothing wrong with that)

HTK

Banned
I’m not sure how they will frame this from the marketing perspective but you can mark my words this will be a glorified DLC/Expansion dubbed as a full release for its yearly $69.99.

EDMIX

or, or hear me out....the original rumor was always bullshit and it was always going to be a full game.

Thats like me saying "oh broz, I gotz a rumor, AC will be in China"

(waits)

"oh, NOW it will be in Japan"

(tries to act as if I predicted both) =)

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
32cedeeb-ca02-4c7b-a95c-a2629d560f98_text.gif

Fix MW2 first before bringing out another trash. And the audacity to even ask 70€ for those incomplete broken ass games that are just last gen games filled with bugs and glitches. And people that are defending them on the content side can also fuck off. The game lacked major modes since its release and the lack of maps are pathetic. And the added new maps are just the same old reclycled maps from previous cod games. Also in the last 2 weeks the game is filled with hackers again.

I wonder if this is going to be like SOCOM: Combined Assault was to SOCOM 3.

New campaign, same core MP as SOCOM 3 including crossplay for common maps, but a ton of new maps and weapons that were Combined Assault only.

Yea........... going to have to disagree with you. And there is still more FREE content coming.

MW2 2022
-
- 20 Perks
- 20 Kill streaks

VS

MW2 2009
-15 MP modes Lifetime.
-23 Spec ops missions.
-46 Weapons.
-
10 pieces of equipment.
-
22 attachments.
-16 Perks.
-19 Killstreaks.

-No vehicles.

MW2 2022
-
- 20 Perks
- 20 Kill streaks

VS

MW2 2009
-15 MP modes Lifetime.
-23 Spec ops missions.
-46 Weapons.
-
10 pieces of equipment.
-
22 attachments.
-16 Perks.
-19 Killstreaks.

-No vehicles.
This dude brought out the color coded comparisons lol. All right, perhaps it’s not so bleak, but you’re bloating by including season one content, I also edited my comment after you quoted me. Either way I’ll die on that hill that og mw2 wins with actual substantial content like maps or modes, spec ops from mw2 alone is like an entire separate game. Then MW3 had even more modes and more co-op missions. I love the new games, don’t get me wrong, but the old games just had more variety at launch.

Last edited:
I still don't feel like MWII is even a full release. I feel like I paid $70 for half a game at this point.

The lack of MP maps at this point is f-ing ridiculous...each of the seasons should have a minimum of 2 NEW maps and 2 legacy maps from earlier releases IMO...and after playing that shit box of a game Vanguard (made by Sledgehammer) I won't be throwing money at them in 2023 for a new game, I will just keep on with MW2 until Treyarch gets their 2024 release out

flying_sq

As much as I would like it to just be a $30 campaign dlc, I get why they're doing a full release. Why would you canablize sales from your own full game release?

Top Bottom