• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd McFarlane Saves US Comics - King Spawn Does 500K Pre-Orders (Highest Since 1996)

ManaByte

Gold Member

Todd McFarlane's first new monthly Spawn book since 1992 is about to have a record-setting debut. King Spawn #1 from Image Comics, which hits comic book stores Aug. 25, has netted nearly 500,000 orders, the largest new superhero monthly comic book launch since 1996 (based on industry standard non-returnable, non-retailer exclusive sales). That's bigger than any DC Comics monthly superhero launch in that same time span, including Batman. It also outpaces all of Marvel's superhero monthly first issues in the same time frame, according to an Image press release.

Todd McFarlane's first new monthly Spawn book since 1992 is about to have a record-setting debut. King Spawn #1 from Image Comics, which hits comic book stores Aug. 25, has netted nearly 500,000 orders, the largest new superhero monthly comic book launch since 1996 (based on industry standard non-returnable, non-retailer exclusive sales). That's bigger than any DC Comics monthly superhero launch in that same time span, including Batman. It also outpaces all of Marvel's superhero monthly first issues in the same time frame, according to an Image press release.

e-king-spawn-1-capullo-mcfarlane-cover.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
Capullo's Spawn was god-tier back in the day, infinitely better style than McFarlane himself.

He really brought the grittiness to the series.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Man, cynicism and negativity aside, I'm happy for him to have a success of a comic financially.

I'm not sure what it means for other iterations or future episodes but as far as the business end, this is great.

Amiga

Used to follow the book in it's initial years. but the story never seemed to go anywhere. got it for the art but then that luster fades. If McFarlane could have sustained a good long term relationship with a good writer the book could have been legendary and a staple of independent comics. there were a few stints with Alan Moor and Neil Gaiman but they weren't sustained and followed through.

stn

I still have to read the classic Spawn comics, which I'll get around to after I finish The Darkness, but I am definitely in for this. Glad to hear its pre-ordering well. My most anticipated comic of this year though belongs to Battle Chasers #10.

Used to follow the book in it's initial years. but the story never seemed to go anywhere. got it for the art but then that luster fades. If McFarlane could have sustained a good long term relationship with a good writer the book could have been legendary and a staple of independent comics. there were a few stints with Alan Moor and Neil Gaiman but they weren't sustained and followed through.
I think it eventually went somewhere, and Armageddon took place.

But in the end like all comic stories, there's nowhere to go. Batman can kill Joker but Joker comes back, and Superman well we all saw it devolve into silver age nonsense. The stories given time devolve into repetitive cycles, modern writers either depower the characters or give them godlike powers(like I think already several characters have remade the universe, or become reality warping gods.), any case doesn't take long for things to go back to normal from the nonsense.

Similar happens to civilizations on planets overtime they either are destroyed, or the flow of information leads to nonsensical states(which I very much look forward too.). You have seen that the internet itself has led to an interesting evolution of society, and it is not just the internet but the vast number of stories that are being fed into the minds of humans. Before only a few stories came upon them, now an unending flood is evolving, and even the writers themselves of these stories are recombining ideas, to the point where resonance is occurring amongst diverse stories from all throughout the world.

The moral teachings of old are retold in the myths of new, and the logic of human relations and the human moral code becomes clearer to see, as all the stories agree on it.

The nature of the infinite is to be but infinite repetition of the finite. The immortal can live the lives of all mortals, but eventually he will run out of mortal lives to live, and repeat, for human brains are finite structures with a finite number of states.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin also set records for IDW this year and is continuing to sell gangbusters. It's really cool seeing these other brands get a leg up on Marvel and DC. I love Marvel and DC but they can't hold me past 6 issues in a modern series to save their lives.

They need big changeups over there, which they actually may be getting, thanks to Substack shaking things up.

Last edited:

usctrojan

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin also set records for IDW this year and is continuing to sell gangbusters. It's really cool seeing these other brands get a leg up on Marvel and DC. I love Marvel and DC but they can't hold me past 6 issues in a modern series to save their lives.

They need big changeups over there, which they actually may be getting, thanks to Substack shaking things up.
is last ronin on any of the digital subs yet?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Similar happens to civilizations on planets overtime they either are destroyed, or the flow of information leads to nonsensical states(which I very much look forward too.). You have seen that the internet itself has led to an interesting evolution of society, and it is not just the internet but the vast number of stories that are being fed into the minds of humans. Before only a few stories came upon them, now an unending flood is evolving, and even the writers themselves of these stories are recombining ideas, to the point where resonance is occurring amongst diverse stories from all throughout the world.

The moral teachings of old are retold in the myths of new, and the logic of human relations and the human moral code becomes clearer to see, as all the stories agree on it.

The nature of the infinite is to be but infinite repetition of the finite. The immortal can live the lives of all mortals, but eventually he will run out of mortal lives to live, and repeat, for human brains are finite structures with a finite number of states.
Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Amiga

I think it eventually went somewhere, and Armageddon took place.

But in the end like all comic stories, there's nowhere to go. Batman can kill Joker but Joker comes back, and Superman well we all saw it devolve into silver age nonsense. The stories given time devolve into repetitive cycles, modern writers either depower the characters or give them godlike powers(like I think already several characters have remade the universe, or become reality warping gods.), any case doesn't take long for things to go back to normal from the nonsense.

Mike Mignola , Robert Kirkman and Erik Larsen managed to put out coherent long running work.

And surprisingly, one big publisher book, Daredevil, had the story and character progress throughout decades with different writers building off each other. good editorial management can keep stories progressing.

Top Bottom