• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard: Being able to focus on one platform will make for better products

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's right on the title.
Besides my point still stands as XSS is not a XSX on 1440p.

All he's saying is limiting platforms makes allows greater focus on the ones you are building for.. it's a "water is wet" kind of statement, it's objectively true.

When Bethesda was one platform only in the 90s that didn't stop theor games from having insane jank. Hopefully gamebryo or whatever engine they hold together with Elmer's glue and twine is fixed.

Lmao, when is someone going to tell him that Microsoft’s entire goal is to get Gamepass on every platform they can. If he wanted to make better games by tailoring to one specific platform, they should have joined PlayStation Studios.

Regardless, making your game for PC is far harder than either one of the next gen consoles, due to all of the potential configurations that can be made, and making something like an SSD mandatory for example will exclude a large class of PC owners, whereas this isn’t a factor on either next gen console. This comment is little more than meaningless PR jargon.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
All he's saying is limiting platforms makes allows greater focus on the ones you are building for.. it's a "water is wet" kind of statement, it's objectively true.
Yeah I agree with you that he's stating the obvious.
The truly "one platform" would be the PS5. Xbox implies XSX and XSS.

But hey, he got to show gratitude to the current owner, right? Nothing new, just another clickbait.

arvfab

Banned
Is he admitting that they will make worse products, as they have to support at least two consoles and whatever PC configurations they want/need to support?

🤔

dottme

Is he admitting that they will make worse products, as they have to support at least two consoles and whatever PC configurations they want/need to support?

🤔
Yeah, I don’t get it on how to support a nearly infinite number of PC configuration is much more difficult than supporting an infinite number of PC configuration + PS5 which is quite similar to PC in it’s architecture.

zaanan

Banned
Went from Sony trying to pay them to come to Xbox a little later, to Microsoft successfully paying them to stay off Playstation forever :messenger_tears_of_joy:

No U Reverse GIF by MOODMAN
FTFY

driqe

Yeah, I don’t get it on how to support a nearly infinite number of PC configuration is much more difficult than supporting an infinite number of PC configuration + PS5 which is quite similar to PC in it’s architecture.
clearly

Dolomite

He is right from a technical sense. From a historical sense it is laughable that multiple consoles are the reason for the Bethesda-Bugs memes. This started long before Oblivion landed on consoles.
Idk I mean skyrim was janky on the 360 compared to pc, but completely unplayable on the ps3 at launch. Bethesda IP's have always been buggy af, we play them for the content. I have no doubt that Starfield will have meme worthy bugs, I'd be surprised if it didn't. Still day one

killatopak

Gold Member
He’s conveniently forgetting PC but I don’t blame him cause it was always the modders job to actually make them a better product.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Top Bottom