• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard: Being able to focus on one platform will make for better products

HoofHearted

So developing the game for thousands of pc configurations+xbox+ps makes it difficult,but when you remove ps then it's easy? Sure, whatever you say :D
Yes - absolutely - coding to the GDK will definitely streamline the actual game development process. As the GDK continues to evolve and be enhanced and optimized over time, It all becomes a matter of target platform device configuration (PC, XSX/S, Streaming, Mobile).

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I mean....he's not wrong
ghosts side GIF

He is right from a technical sense. From a historical sense it is laughable that multiple consoles are the reason for the Bethesda-Bugs memes. This started long before Oblivion landed on consoles.

GymWolf

PlayStation was the recipient of most of the BGS bus and jank.

Fallout 4 on the Xbox at launch was by far the least buggy big open world game I have ever played. Going forward they should be even better now that they can concentrate on Xbox and PC only.
Really? Because it was absolute horseshit on pc at launch, probably one of the buggiest game i ever played (far worse than cyberpunk for my personal experience), i bailed out after 20 hours when the game trapped my big green companion into a zone and never let him out.

To this day i still can't believe how people hype bethesda after the last 2 fallout games (or really any of their games if we talk about optimization).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If they made a game with only one glitch, im sure the fanboy Bethesda sucks trolling would still be in full effect.
If they make a game with only 1 glitch, that would actually be a godsend for them. Though a lot of the (funny) glitches are a part of the charm, just not when they failed to address the game breaking ones in yearly ports for almost a decade, lol.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I still expect bugs and jank.

Also what's this "one platform" horseshit? Isn't PC a separate platform for Xbox?
Horseshit seems already a legit description.

The only way for this to be kinda true is if the minimum requisites on pc are IDENTICAL to SeX console.

Last edited:

SSfox

Being able to focus on one platform will make for better products​

Also release the game for Xbox series X, Xbox series S and PC.

HUH!!!???

HighlevelGenuineGorilla-max-1mb.gif

Zeroing

Banned
Meaning: “I wanted the money, here are some examples so people don’t get angry at me”

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Really? Because it was absolute horseshit on pc at launch, probably one of the buggiest game i ever played (far worse than cyberpunk for my personal experience), i bailed out after 20 hours when the game trapped my big green companion into a zone and never let him out.

To this day i still can't believe how people hype bethesda after the last 2 fallout games (or really any of their games if we talk about optimization).

That's odd, usually Bethesda games at the very least play just as good and usually much better on PC than on Xbox.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Did any of you guys actually read what he said?

He says those platforms. Meaning XSX|S and PC.

He never says one platform.

Stop reading thread titles and immediately posting lol.. spend 10 seconds reading the actual OP maybe?

Last edited:

OceanGaming

If he is talking about Microsoft's infrastructure vs. whatever the type of Linux Playstation has, he is right.

Otherwise it is just PR talk.

GymWolf

That's odd, usually Bethesda games at the very least play just as good and usually much better on PC than on Xbox.
The only usual thing with bethesda is for their games to be choke full of bugs and glitch that modders have to fix, at least in my experience.

I'm sorry but i never played one of their games that was not a complete shitshow at launch...

Last edited:

CatLady

If they make a game with only 1 glitch, that would actually be a godsend for them. Though a lot of the (funny) glitches are a part of the charm, just not when they failed to address the game breaking ones them in yearly ports for almost a decade, lol.
This! One of my big disappointments with both of my playthroughs in Fallout 4 was they were so bug-free they only had a couple of really minor graphical glitches. I didn't get any of the usual hilarious glitches that are "features" of Bethesda games.

FranXico

I also think there was some bitterness when Sony cried about not getting mods on their console and then when BGS went to the trouble of making mods possible and then Sony rejected them.
"Sony cried about not getting mods" LOL
What kind of fantasy is this?
Sony always blocked mods due to security and system stability paranoia, that's why the mods that are now possible may not use external assets.

Edit: just saw the other posts about how "all the jank was on playstation". So delusional... :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles:

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

PlayStation was the recipient of most of the BGS bus and jank.

Fallout 4 on the Xbox at launch was by far the least buggy big open world game I have ever played. Going forward they should be even better now that they can concentrate on Xbox and PC only.
I was playing Fallout 4 on the Xbox last month, i'd got to a point where it would lock up if i'd enter the east side of the map, no matter what I did. It was awful. Twenty hours pissed down the drain. Uninstalled the piece of shite.

I was having fun an all.

CatLady

I was playing Fallout 4 on the Xbox last month, i'd got to a point where it would lock up if i'd enter the east side of the map, no matter what I did. It was awful. Twenty hours pissed down the drain. Uninstalled the piece of shite.

I was having fun an all.
That sucks. Maybe I was just lucky. I played hundreds of hours bug-free. But with FO:NV (one of the buggiest games ever at launch) I did my first playthrough without any game-breaking bugs, although I had a myriad of very hard crashes, graphic glitches etc. On my 2nd playthrough I got every single game-breaking bug. Maybe sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.

rofif

Banned
Hahha it might've been true with 360/ps3... but both new consoles are almost the same.
It's worse to have to code for S rather than X and Ps5

Last edited:

FritzJ92

Isn’t it the development environment that’s the “one platform” PC and Xbox since the swap to the GDK from the XDK, development on Xbox consoles and PC are damn near identical. Sony uses its own set of APIs, but for Xbox and PC it’s all DX12u.
I understand what he means.

GymWolf

Todd Howard: The only man on earth that can say so few words, and produce so much salt.
Is it salt to say that this guy is absolutely full of shit?!

How many devs have dozenz of dedicated videos about lies?!

I see no problem when people shit on jimbo for his shitty crossgen politics and jimbo is nowhere near todd howard level of bullshittery.

I know people have this "bethesda is now under M so Sony fanboy like to shit on them" defense tactic but the truth is that a fuckload of people always shitted on this guy or their latest years output, it's nothing new unless you have a green narrative to push.

I just see it for what it is, people enjoying trolling and dunking on this idiot every time he open his mouth, simple as that.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

That sucks. Maybe I was just lucky. I played hundreds of hours bug-free. But with FO:NV (one of the buggiest games ever at launch) I did my first playthrough without any game-breaking bugs, although I had a myriad of very hard crashes, graphic glitches etc. On my 2nd playthrough I got every single game-breaking bug. Maybe sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.
Certainly seems that way, but my lucks awful in that regard. FO:NV bummed out in me on the 360, badly. Fallout 3 ate itself when I got to point lookout on PC. Fallout 3 on the PS3, well I wont even bother saying. I think the only latest Fallout that didnt bum out on me was 76, the one Fallout I never really wanted to play!

Typical haha.

MikeM

This is why I am pro exclusives. Look at RC: Rift Apart as a prime example. Give me more exclusives!

TonyK

I think he is right but that assumption can only be applied to Ps5 or Switch first party non cross gen tiles. If you need to develop for 2 Xbox and a trillion of PCs configurations you can't focus in one platform.

Stuart360

But trolling doesn't always have a second meaning.

I have a pc where i can play any bethesda game, do you think i give a fuck about brand wars?

If bethesda was under sony my posts would be exactly the same.
Gym i'm semi pulling your leg. Its obvious PR speak, i just dont get why people get so offended over it.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Yeah because your team can't code for shit. /jk

I mean that's pretty obvious. If you have good funding you can spend your life making amazing video games for your fridge. Xbox exclusive fridge.

Mokus

Moron. When you are developing a game for the PC, it's like doing it for at least a few hundreds of platforms. Not to mention that the Xbox SX and the PS5 hardware are quite similar.

Sakura

Weren't they already doing this with Morrowind and Oblivion, between Xbox and PC? While it sounds like it makes sense I don't believe it will actually make a difference coming from Bethesda.

Faithless83

Banned
If you only considered the Series consoles it would have meant 2 platforms with different GPU and RAM alone. And we also have PC...

What is this guy smoking?

martino

Did any of you guys actually read what he said?

He says those platforms. Meaning XSX|S and PC.

He never says one platform.

Stop reading thread titles and immediately posting lol.. spend 10 seconds reading the actual OP maybe?
He should have said one framework.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
If you only considered the Series consoles it would have meant 2 platforms with different GPU and RAM alone. And we also have PC...

What is this guy smoking?

Todd Howard: "By focusing on those platforms, you really get to lean in a lot on making it the best it can be for those systems"

It's right in the OP.... he never says one platform lol

Top Bottom