• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard: Being able to focus on one platform will make for better products

driqe

Pick a side' meaning… PlayStation? Is that what you mean? Well.. a little bit. You don’t ever want to leave people out, right? But at the end of the day, your ability to focus and say, this is the game I want to make, these are the platforms I want to make it on, and being able to really lean in on those is going to make for a better product.

By focusing on those platforms, you really get to lean in a lot on making it the best it can be for those systems. [...] And we’re big believers in all of the avenues that Xbox and Microsoft are doing to get games to more people. Whether that’s the integration with the PC, which is huge for us, the cloud streaming and all those things. So I think it’s about taking a long term view. And our belief that those things are really fundamentally good. So we see it actually opening up more and more and more so that people’s ability to play our games - via GamePass and other things - their ability to play our games doesn’t go down. It goes up dramatically.

And I can say I’m proud to be part of Xbox. I think it’s great for the community of gamers.
Bethesda's Todd Howard on Leaving PlayStation Behind: Being Able to Focus Will Make for Better Games (wccftech.com)

Dolomite

I mean....he's not wrong
ghosts side GIF

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Of course they will. Why develop for 4 or 5 platforms when you can develop for 2 or 3 platforms instead? Xbox Series/PC/Cloud. Let's go baby!!!

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Bethesda are masters at creating incredible, believable worlds to be fair, but all gets completely destroyed with their jank….
kjVu0lL.gif

If they could build a modern engine that finally fixes their bugs, animations and 1 actor voices they will craft something spectacular.

i hope its alot more than just fallout in space though. if it has to be that, than make it like new vegas with tons of choices that actually matter. also can we have a good main quest for once?

Fredrik

I have a friend who’re 100% into Playstation and loves Skyrim, so no matter how they sell the exclusivity I can’t be glad about it because I know this friend will be sad because of it.

I hope it runs well through cloud at least, that’s a way to jump in for those you don’t want to buy a PC or Xbox.

Last edited:
Well, he is objectively right. You have fewer platforms to develop, code, learn and support on. Meaning more time and manpower can be spent making the game polished on the platforms it's available on. Bethesda has been notorious with shitty PS ports anyway so this is probably a slight relief to them.

Razvedka

Banned
Someone other than Todd Howard should be making these remarks, Microsoft should definitely muzzle/sack this guy.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Flight Sim is Series X/S only. Not XB1. Forza Horizon 5 is coming to XB1 though.

On topic, here's hoping this dedication to a PC/XBOX Series infrastructure will make the game and engine more stable at launch.
Are you sure about glight Sim?Because I have a friend that only have a XB1 and was excited for this game.

Has the game been officially canceled for Xb1?
Yep looks like it has from what I gather:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
To be fair, I don't think PlayStation was ever the main focus of any BGS games. They were always much more closely tied to PC and Xbox. Todd frequently sharing the stage at E3s with Xbox only. TES Morrowind exclusive on OG Xbox, Mods for consoles initially only on Xbox, Xbox lead platform for Skyrim, etc, etc.

I also think there was some bitterness when Sony cried about not getting mods on their console and then when BGS went to the trouble of making mods possible and then Sony rejected them.

I think Todd is honestly happy to now be Xbox/PC exclusive.

elliot5

Are you sure about glight Sim?Because I have a friend that only have a XB1 and was excited for this game.
I can't imagine it running well on the old consoles at all. Like maybe 10 FPS with those CPUs at 720p. Luckily he will be able to stream it via xCloud soon enough on the XB1.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
XB1 would melt trying to run that game.
Yep looks like it has from what I gather:
Alright I found out in an interview that asobo was working first on the X/S version then try to port it on the Xb1 but that it will be hard.So it's sstill not officialy canceled French interview but a quick google trad will help.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Will this help with the same damned bugs that end up in every damned port of Skyrim since it's OG launch, errrrr... We still relying on the mod community to work fo freeeee?

Oh wait, no need to worry about all them ports now to shine a spotlight on the lack of care to address.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I can't imagine it running well on the old consoles at all. Like maybe 10 FPS with those CPUs at 720p. Luckily he will be able to stream it via xCloud soon enough on the XB1.
Well I hope it will, my friend doesn't have a lot of money and can't upgrade and was really pumped for this (he's a huge aviation fan) so let's hope it will come out even if heavily downgraded.

Top Bottom