• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today was a good day

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I don't know if you can compare a third party going first party to a first party going multi platform. In the former the games already have established fan bases looking forward to the next games. I don't expect Halo or Gears to go to Playstation as they have always been MS exclusive.

I also wasnt happy when Microsoft did it with Rise of the Tomb Raider and Sony with Street Fighter 5. I guess its just bought exclusivity that was previously multiplatform that I dislike, what ever side of the fence that falls on. I do think Bayonetta 2 and Deadly Premonition 2 are rare examples though where had it not been for the exclusivity the game would not have been made in the first place.

Money wise who knows what Microsoft has planned. Exclusivity would increase consoles sales and bolster Gamepass but would that make up for the deficit of all those lost unit sales had they kept selling to everyone (I.e Minecraft). Bethesda value would go down with the former but conversely MS value would go up. It's super complicated to balance on a spreadsheet, just like Gamepass is at the moment. I can honestly see it going either way (with Gamepass playing a key role in either strategy).

PC is an option if Sony loses Bethesda support ultimately. I'd gain other first party titles but not sure if I want the extra cost, lack of a 4k drive and loss of Sony first parties. Its.a tough one based on my preferences.

There's always Series X. It has a BRD, additional 1st party titles, the best place to play 3rd parties on the most powerful console at the same price as PS5 and a lot cheaper than a PC. Plus it has Game Pass.

quickwhips

Well it put it in terms you might be able to appreciate better, what if one day your suddenly unable to play multiple of your favorite game franchises without paying for a new console/Pc. Surely you'd feel a little bit miffed. Your not paying extra to gain something extra, your paying extra for something you had access to before.
Whats up final fantasy. Just part of life broski.

SpartanN92

Banned
Does anyone really think ES VI and Fallout will suddenly become exclusives?

Skyrim has sold like 30 million copies + spread across 360, PS3, PC, Xbone, PS4, Switch, Amazon Echo, Smartphones, Smart Watches, Nintendo 64, Atari, Rotary Phones, The screen on my refrigerator, this post...
ec1cb4c8368f601f3bf9b34d52dcd33967-10-skyrim-opening-screenshot.rsocial.w1200.jpg

Shit. You’ve done it again Todd Howard.

Anyways does anyone REALLY think M$ gonna walk away from that money?

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Skyrim has sold like 30 million copies + spread across 360, PS3, PC, Xbone, PS4, Switch, Amazon Echo, Smartphones, Smart Watches, Nintendo 64, Atari, The screen on my refrigerator, this post...
ec1cb4c8368f601f3bf9b34d52dcd33967-10-skyrim-opening-screenshot.rsocial.w1200.jpg

This thred is about fear and seething from other neogaf users, I don t even care if they are going to be exlusive or not : D

M16

Skyrim has sold like 30 million copies + spread across 360, PS3, PC, Xbone, PS4, Switch, Amazon Echo, Smartphones, Smart Watches, Nintendo 64, Atari, Rotary Phones, The screen on my refrigerator, this post...

Gamepass
This isnt like the old days. They dont give a shit how many copies sold. They want subs that will keep the money rolling.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Most Doritos suck my dick but Cool Ranch and Sweet Chili Heat are sex.

And Mountain Dew is fucking great, what are you on about?

Me and Mountain Dew had an ugly separation after the third time they pulled that "Pitch Black is only a seasonal limited edition," shit. Now I have a new mistress, and her name is Squirt.

pr0cs

Crazy

You do realize you can still play those games, it just requires a second console. Your home doesn't instantly explode if you have more than one game console plugged in at a time.

Anyone with any serious interest in gaming has all the machines, stop being a gaming peon

ZywyPL

Banned

The games will be available at least on XB consoles, PC, and mobile platforms, possibly Switch thanks to GP/xCloud, and most likely still on PS4/5, so it doesn't get any more multiplatform than this. That's MS' plan, which I think nobody should complain about, and anyone mentioning "exclusives" is just an obvious trolling fanboy.

oagboghi2

I don't like the idea of console manufacturers buying major third party publishers. I don't see how that ends well for the industry. I think it's healthy for publishers to have some independence from console manufacturers

Well this be the new tit for tat now, where MS buys a Betheseda, Sony buys a Square Enix or Capcom, MS buys a ubisoft, Sony buys Epic, etc etc. Throw in Nintendo too for that manner. This will be a decade long generation of corporates buyout and less consumer choice

I mean, I guess this is good for console warring, but this doesn't seem healthy in the long term. I also think it opens the industry to potential regulation, if game publishing shrinks from over a dozen major publishers to 3 or 4.

Also, were MS fans really this thin skinned about "Xbox has no games" memes? I mean Jesus Christ, the way some of you post I think you have tears in your eyes. Seeing the way posters like ScarletSpider ScarletSpider have acted is pathetic

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Troll? Fuck off with that. If you don’t like it, pick up some extra hours at work or something so you can get whatever box you need to play games that interest you. Gaming side has been insufferable since the first Xbox event this year with PlayStation fanboys SOMEHOW becoming more obnoxious and annoying than PC fanboys (a feat I never thought possible). I don’t care if games become exclusive to any platform. Ill buy whatever I need to play what I want.

Fuck outta here with your “troll” comment. You don’t like it? Get some OT like I suggested or take it to the bartender, because I don’t wanna fucking hear it.
Wtf just happened..... Lol. That got intense quickly.

I did enjoy feeling like the gaming platform I prefer went to bat for me today. I could care less if all these games are exclusive or not, I just care that my gamepass library is about to be flooded. It's gonna get even better in a couple years as the big games start dropping.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

A lot of funny takes today.

Xbox going from "Xbox has no games/exclusives" to "Xbox can't keep Bethesda games of PS5 its anti consumer" eventually turning into "Please Xbox release your games on PS5".

Also the never forgotten, "Don't you remember what happened to Rare" and "Mojang kept their games multiplatform", which at this point is a must have staple comment of every Xbox acquisition thread.

I am just now waiting to see how creative they will get with how they label GamePass now and how they will turn it into a negative. Remember before all the other game studios under XGS made budget GamePass fillers that are short AA games and no Blockbuster games where being made or released on there.

ZywyPL

Banned
Nah, it wasn't even that good, the best thing so far was IMO Jim Ryan saying they will support for another 4 years, and the upcoming, supposedly "possible only on PS5 thanks to its SSD!" games are just PS4 ports LOL.

Redlight

A lot of funny takes today.

Xbox going from "Xbox has no games/exclusives" to "Xbox can't keep Bethesda games of PS5 its anti consumer" eventually turning into "Please Xbox release your games on PS5".

Also the never forgotten, "Don't you remember what happened to Rare" and "Mojang kept their games multiplatform", which at this point is a must have staple comment of every Xbox acquisition thread.

I am just now waiting to see how creative they will get with how they label GamePass now and how they will turn it into a negative. Remember before all the other game studios under XGS made budget GamePass fillers that are short AA games and no Blockbuster games where being made or released on there.
Don't forget the new twist, Microsoft now has so many games that it's clear that they're trying to create a monopoly. :)

I love it.

The news is HUGE, and anyone who can't see that this literally defies all cries that said MS was going to get out of the Hardware game and into Software like Sega.

No matter what happens, MS is going to have a giant slew of games in their library with some great ip's in the coming generations of gaming.

That's the kicker.

And boy, it's funny to see the salt.

Fanboys before today:

"Microsoft has no exclusives. lol, no games. I'm going with Sony because of their god tier exclusives."

Fanboys after today:

"Microsoft is cancer. Stealing exclusives because they can't make their own. This kind of practice only hurts us, the gamers".

Today was, indeed, a good day.
Both those things are kind of true though.

MS still has no exclusives. Everything they've just bought is still coming to PC too, some likely to Switch/2 too.

MS did not buy exclusive Xbox games, everything they bought would have ended up on Xbox anyway, so their is no additional value they have added to Xbox's line up.

They just spent 7.5 billion dollars purely to take games away from Playstation. Nothing for them will be different though.

Make no mistake, buying Bethesda has made the games industry, and we as the customers, worse off.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Both those things are kind of true though.

MS still has no exclusives. Everything they've just bought is still coming to PC too, some likely to Switch/2 too.

MS did not buy exclusive Xbox games, everything they bought would have ended up on Xbox anyway, so their is no additional value they have added to Xbox's line up.

They just spent 7.5 billion dollars purely to take games away from Playstation. Nothing for them will be different though.

Make no mistake, buying Bethesda has made the games industry, and we as the customers, worse off.
Which really says it all doesn't it.

MS spent 7.5 billion dollars to take away choice, and their fans are gloating. These are the same posters who cried about Spiderman being exclusive for a year, or oh no COD Beta on Playstation. It's hilarious.

Meanwhile, all these games they are celebrating are still on PC. 7.5 billion dollars and the Xbox is still essentially worthless.

Console wars 😂

ZywyPL

Banned
Damn it, how did I forget that one. From no games to world domination.

I believe the most die-hard fanboys here would even came up with a narrative spin if MS did bought entire Sony, something like "now finally everyone will be able to appreciate Sony's awesome 1st party exclusives!", or "now Sony studios will get even better thanks to all that MS cash!", shit is hilarious, it's just sad we only get to see such spins and mental gymnastic once every 7-8 years when new console launch, I could read it every single day.

The news is HUGE, and anyone who can't see that this literally defies all cries that said MS was going to get out of the Hardware game and into Software like Sega.

That's STILL their long term plan tho, it's all about Game Pass for them from now on, hardware is on the far, secondary place. I even think Series S is actually the more important console for them, Series X is just for the show/marketing purposes.

Top Bottom