• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

today I join the Hive!

Sho Nuff

Banned
AFAIK, Phoenix Wright, Advance Wars DS, Mario Kart, probably Castlevania are all you need. Mario 64 if you never played that before, like me. Wario is the essence of disappointment.

Ouendan is garbage. OH WEE I'M MAKING TAMBOURINE SOUNDS WITH MY STYLUS! TO SHITTY J-ROCK THAT SOUNDS LIKE A REALAUDIO FILE CIRCA 1995! Please. Go play a real music game.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Sho Nuff said:
Ouendan is garbage. OH WEE I'M MAKING TAMBOURINE SOUNDS WITH MY STYLUS! TO SHITTY J-ROCK THAT SOUNDS LIKE A REALAUDIO FILE CIRCA 1995! Please. Go play a real music game.
:lol

guess i wont be getting it then. what about electroplankton for a music "game"?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
METEOS
And play 2 minute time war for highscores all day. If possible against friend's scores. I'm a firm believer that anyone that doesn't like the game has played nothing but lame star trip mode.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sho Nuff said:

Its a perfectly good rythm action game. A bit like guitar freak in that you have to follow lines and make patterns, only with the stylus.

Matlock

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
Mario 64 if you never played that before, like me.

I'll have to agree here. The DS port of Mario 64 was awfully damn good, too. Enhanced graphics, some retooled moves and physics, a bit better control with the d-pad...And some of the best sound design in any DS game.

Not to mention it's really pretty fun.

lyre

Scrow said:
welcome

but first you must pass our rite of passage.

"This first test is called 'Crossing the Desert' ..."

"The next one is called 'The Unblinking Eye' ..."

And the final one, "The Paddling of the Swollen Ass, With real Paddles!"

More accurate (but not exactl). But regardless, GET CASTLEVANIA! Awesomeness in 2d form.

Ouendan is also trash. Electroplankton may be non-game experimental noodling, but it's still a sore sight more amusing than Ouendan's overdesigned appeal to wacky jappiness.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Kobun Heat said:
NO JESUS DON'T LISTEN TO HIM

Sho Nuff and Drinky are funny when they hate on Ouendan but now they're corrupting the youth. Ouendan is magic sex.
hey now, i'm only two years younger than you :p

okay, so maybe I'll import depending on price and some reliable reviews/impressions. anyone got some links?

Ironclad

Good choice. Welcome to the club. Castlevania is great.

Phoenix Wright is easily one of my favorite games of the year and you should definitely pick it up when you get the chance. You should enjoy Trauma Center as well, it gets rather difficult later in the game and that is when you really need to be precise with the stylus.

The most brilliant use of the stylus, IMO, is Kirby: Canvas Curse. It just works so damn well.

Of course, there are DS must-buys as well, which include Ouendan, Mario Kart, and Advance Wars.

I imported Ouendan, but could never get into it... maybe because I had so many other games to play and so little free time... meh...

I still have it here but Animal Xing... is you know... Ouendan meh

Kroole

Just read the Oendan thread and decide after that. I really liked the game though I haven't had that much fun with a rythm game since Samba de Amigo so that classifies the game as awesome.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Ironclad_Ninja said:
Phoenix Wright is easily one of my favorite games of the year and you should definitely pick it up when you get the chance.
okay, i keep hearing so much about this game but have no idea how it actually plays. could some explain to me how a typical scenario would work out while playing it?

Ironclad_Ninja said:
The most brilliant use of the stylus, IMO, is Kirby: Canvas Curse. It just works so damn well.
just wanted to chime in with my agreement here. it's a great game, but needs a little refinement. otherwise it's sex on a stylus.

Ironclad_Ninja said:
Of course, there are DS must-buys as well, which include Ouendan, Mario Kart, and Advance Wars.
till adv wars is wi-fi enabled, no sale. Nintendo had better hurry up with a wi-fi enabled sequel.

Ironclad

Scrow said:
okay, i keep hearing so much about this game but have no idea how it actually plays. could some explain to me how a typical scenario would work out while playing it?
It's basically a point-and-click adventure game with courtroom sequences. The game is very fun and the writing is brilliant. Essentially you walk around, in a first person view, finding clues that will help you in the courtroom. Then you enter the courtroom and cross-examine witnesses and well, be an ace attorney.

Scrow said:
just wanted to chime in with my agreement here. it's a great game, but needs a little refinement. otherwise it's sex on a stylus.
Yeah, there are a few parts where it can get frustrating, but it is brilliant. I would definitely like to see a sequel.

Scrow said:
till adv wars is wi-fi enabled, no sale. Nintendo had better hurry up with a wi-fi enabled sequel.
Online or not, I cannot resist an IS strategy game. :D

demi

Scrow said:

Read the story...

...Talk to people...

When you've exhausted all there is to do, you can save to the next scene, then you find yourself in court.

Here, you talk and talk, then a witness comes up and tells their story

From here, you cross-examine then and read carefully to point out any errors by revealing evidence or by pressing them for info.

Basically you exhaust them once more by pressing them, then try and look at your evidence and see what seems out of place in their story.

It's a good game

demi seal of approval

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Woo! more Phoenix Wright love, keep it coming! Future shop is garbage when it comes to DS game selection. (they DO have ZOO TYCOON though :lol) If you can't find the games at the local EB, Amazon.ca is really the way to go though. Much cheaper:

Trauma Center $34.99

Phoenix Wright $31.99

But since you're playing on the train (west coast express?), I'm not sure if Trauma Center is the best game for ya, just because it needs precise and steady movements. (Demi, draw a c-shape instead of a circle and all your troubles with controls will go away).The next best stylus use IMO would be Meteos, but I think the best overall game and the best value (since you're getting PW anyways) would be Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
demi said:
Read the story...

...Talk to people...

When you've exhausted all there is to do, you can save to the next scene, then you find yourself in court.

Here, you talk and talk, then a witness comes up and tells their story

From here, you cross-examine then and read carefully to point out any errors by revealing evidence or by pressing them for info.

Basically you exhaust them once more by pressing them, then try and look at your evidence and see what seems out of place in their story.

It's a good game

demi seal of approval

DON'T BELIEVE MY GAME IMPRESSIONS

okay

Ironclad

Demi pretty much nailed it though. That's the basic structure of the game.

Explore the areas that are open to you, finding clues and talking to people. Gaining items and such that will help you in your case. Then, there will be a scripted event and you will move to the courtroom. During the courtroom sequences, the prosecution will provide witnesses who will testify. You will listen to their testimonies and look for inconsistencies. Then, you hit them hard whith these inconsistencies and they will change their testimony. You work your way from there until the judge decides to the end the preceding for the day. Then you repeat this sequence, looking for new clues and information and examining new witnesses until you solve the case.

The writing and pacing of the game really is brilliant though. It may seem like you spend more time actually reading and advancing text than playing but that's just part of the genre and since the writing and translation is so amazing, you can't fault the game for that.

SickBoy

bishop, your odds of finding Trauma Centre in any EB are pretty slim (I was in Vancouver at the beginning of the month, went to a few EBs that crossed my path and it was nowhere).

However, a local EB tells me (possibly even truthfully), that new copies of Trauma Centre will be returning to its shelves at some point in the future.

As for Phoenix Wright, I didn't see it when it first came out, but I've seen it a couple of times at EB here recently.

And I recommend Kirby if you're into platformers at all and want to use the stylus.

Docpan

Pass on Castlevania man. I was severely underwhelmed.

Go with Trauma Center, it's fun as hell. And good choice with Pheonix Wright. Lost in Blue is a great game, as well. Somewhere down the line pick up Advance Wars DS. Sonic DS is a winner, too. Don't forget about Animal Crossing DS which comes out next week! And of course... MARIO KART! I know you want something that takes use of the stylus but come on, this is a must-have. Mario and Luigi 2 is also something you should keep your eye on.

Again, pass on Castlevania. Totally overrated.

EDIT:

Ouch, I see you're picking up Castlevania after all. Just don't let it leave a sour taste in your mouth if you don't enjoy it. The real goodness will kick in once you pick up Pheonix Wright.

bionic77 said:
There might not be one, but I am just assuming there will be within the next 6 months. If it is something like the SP redesign you might wish you had waited. :D
Sure there will probably be new models, but the major things about the GBA SP were the folding, rechargeable battery, and that finally Nintendo had a portable with a lit screen (other than GB Light). Considering those are all there from the get-go with DS, I don't know what they could possibly do to make it nearly as big a deal. Unless they shrink the screens and make it DS Micro.

Top Bottom