• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To the people who are concerned about xbox this gen, this is what they will have this gen so far. Plus activision, if the deal is done.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Xbox games for the rest of the year:

Scorn
Forza Motorsport
Darktide
Age of Empires 4
Grounded
Dust Falls
Somerville
Replaced
Pentiment

There's no need to worry :messenger_peace:
Shocked Terry Crews GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Unfortunately making games doesnt happen overnight. Most of the studios have been bought over the last 2-3 years, and yeah thats not enough time for a lot of devs producing AAA games.
Delays suck but how many games launch these days on schedule?, not many. The second half of this gen will be flooded with games on Xbox, so let the concern trolls have their fun while they can.

First post basically says it all. XBOX doesn't have (necessarily) a creative problem, they clearly have a production problem. I wont be getting an XBOX console (no need with a PC) but some of the most exciting games coming up (for me) are coming from MS, particularly the stuff Obsidian and Bethesda are working on (AVOWED I am actually looking forward to more than STARFIELD/TES as the lore in PILLARS OF ETERNITY is leagues above anything Bethesda is able to product and I'm for sure looking forward to STARFIELD/TES). Toss in SOD3 as well, especially with what (I hope) they learned from SOD2 launch and where the title eventually ended up.

. . .the problem is a lot of that stuff that they have people excited about don't even have gameplay demos/previews let alone release windows (how long ago was HB2 shown). The SF/RF delays don't phase me because we haven't seen anything really hype worthy from either title (same with AVOWED and other in progress MS IP's): we know the stuff is coming, this gen, just no reason to get excited one way or another.

As for the people who were absolutely gutted at the SF/RF news and now are in a reality where the current-gen for MS is over, and who needed this thread - yeah they're nutters. Let's wait until June 12th to start panicking.

Ozriel

M$FT
Speculation on my part but I can’t see Starfield launching in H1. MS like to have their big game come out around Christmas. It’s always been their way. I suspect Redfall in June 23, Starfield Oct 23.

Not necessarily about ‘their way’ but probably how their studios cadence just worked. The Forza games, for example.

But more importantly, they should have multiple AAA games for next year, so no need to delay Starfield for marketing purposes. For example, Hellblade 2 and Avowed are widely expected to launch in 2023. And if the Activision deal goes through, they’ll be launching Diablo 4 as ‘first party’.

Besides, Elden Ring has shown that you can launch anytime and still rack up crazy sales.

Wohc

Banned
I hear 'ya; won't pretend there aren't a few people who are probably gleeful about the delays because it lets them console war, but those types are always in the minority and they exist on both sides. Would not really be focused on them tbh.

There are valid concerns to be had with MS's game management, though, and I think no matter how much of a fan you are of them, you have to at least be aware of that fact. The things that affect them, in absolute terms, aren't exclusive to them. The problem is they have a much higher propensity of affecting MS/Xbox more so than other competitors or publishers.

And the reason that's an issue, for me, is because they've been in this industry as a platform holder for over two decades. I would think things like having a consistent flow of platform exclusives (1P or 3P) of AAA status, even with rare events like Covid, would be doable by them at this point. That not putting oddly specific release dates over a year in advance, then doing marketing for a year with video dairies and leading expectation you have a giant gameplay blowout at your showcase, only to then delay said game to a generic time frame of the following year (assumedly because it needs more polish, in which case we probably shouldn't expect much gameplay for it at the showcase), would be avoidable for them a this point.

Some of the things on the corporate & management side just feel like mistakes a first-time platform holder would make, not one who's been in the industry for two decades and has trillions of dollars. People would probably think I'm exaggerating when I say some of these mistakes have shades of the Saturn and 3DO in them (IMO), but that's what it really feels like at times.
Maybe it's because i'm not emotionally connected to those companies or their consoles, but i don't see any problem this gen. I think people here are overvaluing the importance of first party games. To some gamers the delays maybe a catastrophe, but the majority doesn't care. I don't care if a delayed game had a specific or a vague date, It sucks equally.
PS5 and XSX are flying of the shelves and they still would without them. But we are only1,5 years into this gen, have Covid and yet both releasesd several 85+ games. That's already much better than last gen, especially for Microsoft. Did they even have a 85+ game last gen? So i'm happy with this gen so far and i will only get better once the crossgen crap stops and both start releasing eyecatchers.

Lognor

Banned
Maybe it's because i'm not emotionally connected to those companies or their consoles, but i don't see any problem this gen. I think people here are overvaluing the importance of first party games. To some gamers the delays maybe a catastrophe, but the majority doesn't care. I don't care if a delayed game had a specific or a vague date, It sucks equally.
PS5 and XSX are flying of the shelves and they still would without them. But we are only1,5 years into this gen, have Covid and yet both releasesd several 85+ games. That's already much better than last gen, especially for Microsoft. Did they even have a 85+ game last gen? So i'm happy with this gen so far and i will only get better once the crossgen crap stops and both start releasing eyecatchers.
Exactly. I am bummed that starfield has been delayed, but there is more than enough to play this year. And starfield will not be the last game delayed into 2023. I think we all know what the next AAA to be delayed is. Some are living in denial, so it'll be tough on them when it is delayed.

I just want ms to be more consistent. 2021 was nuts for ms with all their releases, but this year it's barren. We need consistency. I get it with covid, but it is still disappointing.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't mind waiting for good games. However, both Sony and Microsoft have shown that their exclusives are nothing that really warrants waiting for. I despise GAAS titles, so much of what MS has been doing for years does me no good. I would rather have a full, completed game than a half ass, miniscule "experience" that is either the worst in the franchise (Halo Infinite) or wasted potential that I have to wait 2-4 years to actually get a decent amount of content (Sea of Thieves).

Fucking stop it, Microsoft. The few times you actually give us completed games like Gears Tactics, they are god damn brilliant! Give me more of that!

As for Sony, they have some of the most generic, boring, and forgettable titles in recent memory. I bought Sackboy at launch, I completed it with the platinum, and I remember literally *nothing* about that game. Horizon Forbidden West feels like an Ubisoft title with how forgettable and generic its structure is. The only good thing it has going for it is its graphics, but if I wanted to see pretty graphics I would just watch a modern Hollywood film. It would waste my time less.

Really its 3rd parties and indie titles that actually provide good experiences these days for someone like me who has played a lot of games over multiple decades.

If it weren't for first-party games, we wouldn't have Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Gran Turismo, God of War, Uncharted, TLOU, Halo, Project Gotham Racing, Sonic, Panzer Dragoon, NiGHTS, Shining Force, Daytona, Parappa, and the list goes on and on. First-party games are what give consoles their identity, and help foster the gaming culture around that console.

It's kinda like saying, Japanese films don't really matter since they could technically just make due with American Hollywood films exported and dubbed/subbed for their market. I mean, those Hollywood films are all well and good, but it's the Japanese ones that culturally define Japanese cinema, not the American Hollywood films (which would be the 3P games in this situation). Now, sometimes you do get that identity and gaming culture through 3P IP as well; Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Tekken, Metal Gear Solid, COD, GTA, Fortnite etc. have helped define things about the consoles they've been associated with.

However, it's the 1P games that the platform holders have generally used to establish a brand, an identity, for their hardware. Also, usually it's 1P games that have pushed the industry forward creatively. Just look at Mario 64, Zelda OoT, Super Metroid, Outrun, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 3, Halo, Parappa, Pokemon, TLOU, Gran Turismo 3 etc. All of those are games that either pushed some big chunk of the industry forward being leaders in game design, storytelling, animation/graphics/visuals, or some combination of the three. You don't see that as often with 3P games, tho it does happen (MGS, Resident Evil, DMC, FFVII, RE4 etc.).

We need that in gaming, and that's something first-party software tends to do more often than third-party games, even today. So even if most games sold on consoles are 3P games, 1P games still serve a very important role for establishing a culture around that console and brand, and having the muscle (money) to push production forward so they can lead the industry in some way or another, more often than not. I'm not really considering sales here, that's not the only purpose games serve, particularly 1P games.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Until then, go get some fresh air.

If it weren't for first-party games, we wouldn't have Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Gran Turismo, God of War, Uncharted, TLOU, Halo, Project Gotham Racing, Sonic, Panzer Dragoon, NiGHTS, Shining Force, Daytona, Parappa, and the list goes on and on. First-party games are what give consoles their identity, and help foster the gaming culture around that console.

It's kinda like saying, Japanese films don't really matter since they could technically just make due with American Hollywood films exported and dubbed/subbed for their market. I mean, those Hollywood films are all well and good, but it's the Japanese ones that culturally define Japanese cinema, not the American Hollywood films (which would be the 3P games in this situation). Now, sometimes you do get that identity and gaming culture through 3P IP as well; Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Tekken, Metal Gear Solid, COD, GTA, Fortnite etc. have helped define things about the consoles they've been associated with.

However, it's the 1P games that the platform holders have generally used to establish a brand, an identity, for their hardware. Also, usually it's 1P games that have pushed the industry forward creatively. Just look at Mario 64, Zelda OoT, Super Metroid, Outrun, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 3, Halo, Parappa, Pokemon, TLOU, Gran Turismo 3 etc. All of those are games that either pushed some big chunk of the industry forward being leaders in game design, storytelling, animation/graphics/visuals, or some combination of the three. You don't see that as often with 3P games, tho it does happen (MGS, Resident Evil, DMC, FFVII, RE4 etc.).

We need that in gaming, and that's something first-party software tends to do more often than third-party games, even today. So even if most games sold on consoles are 3P games, 1P games still serve a very important role for establishing a culture around that console and brand, and having the muscle (money) to push production forward so they can lead the industry in some way or another, more often than not. I'm not really considering sales here, that's not the only purpose games serve, particularly 1P games.
First party games are less important then they have ever been. Especially for PlayStation and Xbox. Just look at where consumers are spending their money.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

First party games are less important then they have ever been. Especially for PlayStation and Xbox. Just look at where consumers are spending their money.
Exclusives sell consoles. They always have, they always will. First party games are some of *the* most important titles for any platform.

Last edited:

You guys are missing my point; it's not just about sales and money. It's also about culture, and 1P games are paramount to that and helping solidify a gaming culture and identity around the brand. They're also important in helping push game design in the industry forward.

If it weren't for Halo for example, we likely would not have gotten COD meaning we likely would not have gotten stuff like PUBG which led to stuff like Fortnite. Can only imagine where 3D platformers would be if not for Mario 64's impact, etc.

Wohc

Banned

I don't say they are unnecessary, even though they were much more important in the past, i just said they are overrated by a minority. What do you think is the percentage of casual gamers? 80%? More? Like i said we live in a bubble here on GAF. Ask 1000 casuals to name you 10 exclusive games of each brand and i guarantee you, none of them could and most would even struggle to name 3.

MS and Sony could easily survive without them yet people try to make it a drama, that one year looks kind of empty regarding exclusives.

I somehow get it that some real Microsoft fans maybe a little concerned this year, but they should know that Microsoft will start shitting out lots of games per year in 1-2 years and that 2022 is an exception. XSX will be still sold out wihin hours after every drop. And because of that i think that 90% of the concern here is just trolling.

My only concern is the value i get out of the PC Game Pass and even in a weak year like 2022 it's well worth my money. Would i have loved to play Starfield this year? Sure. Will i nevertheless have more than enough to play this year? Sure. So i don't care that much.

BbMajor7th

Budget is a rare guarantor of success in this industry and it appears to be what the MS strategy has been banking on for a while now. I do hope good games come though, because even though MS isn't really making the kind of games that appeal to me, I think healthy competition is good for this industry and the signs of stagnation are really starting to set in all over the place. We need a bit of a shake-up, because I'm really starting to feel the fatigue.

Boss Man

Wow can’t wait for Unannounced Project 1, Unannounced Project 4, and Project Cobalt!

I’m sure they’ll be fine…eventually. Not looking too hot right now though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom