• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To counteract the the thread posted about if you would preorder Witcher 4, I have a couple things to say about that crap.

Derktron

Banned
For starters, I can care less if OP posted that as a "what-if" question. How many times do we have to beat around the bushes to figure out NO MATTER WHAT!! Under any circumstances, we DO NOT PREORDER ANY GAMES. I don't understand why people who pay attention to gaming news and are not common consumers continue to do this, time after time, after time, after so many times over. Gaming companies have learned that it doesn't matter how much of a broken game they may release. They can do whatever they want. Because one of the main things gamers keep doing is what? --- Preordering games.

Stop doing that, no matter what gaming companies have on it. CD Project Red should have taught us by now by doing that they can do whatever they want and release a broken game. Wait till release it's not going anywhere and wait for all the criticism to come out to see if it's worth your pathetic $60 to $70. I would have thought by now we would have learned from games like Cyperpunk 2077, but I guess the hell not.

Anyways rant over. -- I just wanted to get that off my chest. Stop preordering, not worth it.

Last edited:

Interfectum

amused season 1 GIF by American Gods

Interfectum

What's fascinating about the tech industry and gaming specifically is at release the game is both the most expensive it will ever be and in the worst possible state. It's also where it will enjoy the majority of it's sales (exceptions aside).

Pre-order culture surrounding gaming is really fucking bizarre when you think about those two points. But at least you get to play it in the zeitgeist I guess. lol

I sorta see it both ways, sometimes it's good for the developers to do preorders (Financial reasons I'd assume) BUT, once that trust is betrayed, it's hard to to go back.

How about we stop using the phrase "can care less" first?

You literally started your post with the opposite of what you wanted to say. You told us that you CAN care less than the amount that you currently care, which tells us that you do currently care to some degree. Why did you do such a thing?

I stopped reading after that as a start that poorly doesn't deserve any further attention.

KiNeMz

Banned
What's fascinating about the tech industry and gaming specifically is at release the game is both the most expensive it will ever be and in the worst possible state. It's also where it will enjoy the majority of it's sales (exceptions aside).

Pre-order culture surrounding gaming is really fucking bizarre when you think about those two points. But at least you get to play it in the zeitgeist I guess. lol
Fascinating and true. Just have a little patience consumers. It will pay off for all involved

How about we just stop preordering games, we don't need a reporter to tell us the obvious on what to do or not.
Yes we do. This is really the only reason they exist. They are there to tell us what we are buying. This is literally the only reason they are there. To inform the public about games.

I'm sorry, your strategy of running around and screaming at people what to do with their own money is flawed. I would rather we pressure "journalists" to do their fucking job. Give us ALL the information then let the consumer make their own mind up.

Better to have a well informed consumer public. If we had an actually informed public none of this would be an issue. If everyone knew Cyberpunk was going to underperform on last gen consoles, none of this would be an issue.

Last edited:
I literally never understood PO mentality. What, to get some extra skin or in game currency? Wow.

Id pre order a physical collectors edition if its going to be rare and im a massive fan. Otherwise im just gonna buy it in store day one or download.

Derktron

Banned
Just take a fucking chill pill, asshole.
Make me? -- You are only getting mad about it cause you know it's true. I guess you like licking the boots out of these companies. It's okay to admit that. I mean if you like broken games like Cyberpunk 2077. Then sure.

Derktron

Banned
How about everyone do whatever they want with their money.
No. Not how it should work. Gaming companies love the idea of scamming people and should be stopped in that regard. But thanks for the data I needed for a study I'm doing on. Noted - Consumers love to be taken advantage of.

VN1X

Banned
For starters, I can care less if OP posted that as a "what-if" question. How many times do we have to beat around the bushes to figure out NO MATTER WHAT!! Under any circumstances, we DO NOT PREORDER ANY GAMES. I don't understand why people who pay attention to gaming news and are not common consumers continue to do this, time after time, after time, after so many times over. Gaming companies have learned that it doesn't matter how much of a broken game they may release. They can do whatever they want. Because one of the main things gamers keep doing is what? --- Preordering games.

Stop doing that, no matter what gaming companies have on it. CD Project Red should have taught us by now by doing that they can do whatever they want and release a broken game. Wait till release it's not going anywhere and wait for all the criticism to come out to see if it's worth your pathetic $60 to $70. I would have thought by now we would have learned from games like Cyperpunk 2077, but I guess the hell not.

Anyways rant over. -- I just wanted to get that off my chest. Stop preordering, not worth it.
Simple. In some cases (read: a lot) you'll find games a lot cheaper ahead of release, on the grey market, rather then on or after their release because of titles going 'trending', gaining popularity popularity, etc so I still pre-order games for that reason (on PC mainly).

For example, recently I got Outriders for 34eu and RE8 Village for 36eu so no... I don't think I will stop pre-ordering thankyouverymuch!
3x

Last edited:
So let's assume nobody preorders a game, or buys it blindly. In addition to that, they also make it a point to ignore the impressions of journalists and content creators who got free advance copies. How are people ever gonna find out whether the game is good or not? Wait for pirates to crack it?

Last edited:
So let's assume nobody preorders a game, or buys it blindly. In addition to that, they also make it a point to ignore the impressions journalists and content creators who got free advance copies. How are people ever gonna find out whether the game is good or not? Wait for pirates to crack it?
Was about to make a similar point. Don't listen to journalists, but also don't buy blind...then how...? Difficult as it is to accept, we depend on people buying in on a game early for their impressions.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I'll pre-order whenever there is a discount and I'm interested in the game.

Haven't been burned so far. Cyberpunk was very playable on my PC.

Roxkis_ii

All you can do is just lead by example.

You also can't take the internet too seriously. It's a lot of people who profit from people pre-ordering games, so of course it's going to be people who are paid to be excited about it on the internet. Talk to your friends and love ones about not pre ordering games. People on the internet aren't worth trying to convince.

OP's post starts with "i can care less". The most void of sense and incorrect saying imaginable. I couldn't care less is what you were trying to say

johntown

Banned
I have been burned too many times by pre-orders and I don't do it anymore. Besides I have so many games it won't be like I have nothing to play if I wait for release date.

i rarely pre order. it doesn't make any sense. i genuinely felt confident pre ordering Cyberpunk because it was CDPR. to be fair, on PC it isn't terrible. it's obviously designed for PC and it runs great. i only experienced a few bugs. what pissed me off is how unfinished the game feels. i wish they had just spent a bit more time on some gameplay features and put some more effort into AI.

GymWolf

Once again, people preorder because they have big discounts.

Let me pay at launch what i pay with a preorder and i'm gonna stop preordering stuff.

Also people had wildly different experiences with cyberpunk, for me on pc it was not more bugged than any ubisoft or bethesda game at launch (mostly better tbh)

Last edited:

retsof624

I pre order digital games so they can pre load and be ready at midnight. I don’t pre order months in advance. I normally do so within two weeks of launch. By that point I’ve seen enough to know I want it

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I agree for the most part, but if they are a special edition with something included with the pre-order, what is your alternative if you really want said item? (Doesn't affect me very often, but might others)

Trimesh

Banned
Make me? -- You are only getting mad about it cause you know it's true. I guess you like licking the boots out of these companies. It's okay to admit that. I mean if you like broken games like Cyberpunk 2077. Then sure.

It was actually a recommendation for your own mental health - you seem to be getting so fucking wound up about irrelevant shit (although, admittedly, that's not uncommon in gaming). In fact, I rarely pre-order stuff, but I will on the occasions I feel like it, or just want to register interest. My feeling is that if I order a game and it turns out to be shit then it will cost me say $60 - which is mildly vexing, but I've spent more that that on a bad date before, so I think I can handle it.

It's really just not important enough to get all bent out of shape about. And, as for Cyberpunk, there were a few things I didn't like about it, but it was still found it to be fun overall. Admittedly, I was playing the PC version which seems to have been rather better than the console releases.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Don’t see an issue if there are protections in place like MS, Steam and Epic have. You also get to preload the game so it’s a time saver.

If it’s broken or bad you can get a refund. Now physical and digital on Sony/Nintendo, I would not preorder. Well might give in on some 1st party Nintendo stuff they haven’t dropped the ball yet like Sony.

Last edited:
Journalism is dead these days. It is all about the clicks/views.
And someone breaking the story that the big upcoming game everyone has been hyped about for years is actually totally broken wouldn't be a big story? I'm sorry, they have no excuse. That would get so many clicks. The journo would be a hero to all gamers.

So the people that are entirely responsible for being the intermediary between the game companies and the consumer, that is their ENTIRE JOB, why should we not want them to do that? The consumers should be fine to be entirely in the dark, with journos existing as mere parasites to push their social propaganda and climb corporate ladders? We need to demand more from THEM. Not you demanding more from us.

This is the problem. We have a system setup: companies publish the games, studios make the games, journalists cover the games, consumers buy the games. This system is set up. THEY HAVE THE POWER. It seems very shitty to take it out on consumers, which is what OP seems to be doing. He doesn't want to blame these companies for the bad shit they are doing (which is, what? OP hasn't even spelled out what pre-orderers are "responsible for"). Game studios have the power. Journos have the power. Consumers are at the bottom of the ladder and you are shitting all over them.

Why are you letting game devs and studios and journalists off the hook here? Why are you putting all the blame on the consumers, the people with the least amount of information and the least amount of power?

I mean, come on. Be reasonable. Who has the ability to do anything here? Devs can't leak it because their jobs are threatened. If a journo leaks it, then they get infinite accolades, they get so much clout, for doing "the real work" and putting in the effort to bring people information they should have in the first place.

But no, OP is blaming consumers for some reason. And just the people who buy games before release date. If you buy on release date, or after, it is totally fine. He is not mad at you. Lol.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
no matter how bad the game is, ppl will still preoder. YOu are talking to only a few here on gaf out of millions and even the few people including those who voted no on that topic, I can guarantee you, they'd would in fact preorder. I did not preorder W3 nor CP2077 and despite the latter being a technical mess I still loved it and it will be one of my fav games. Would I preorder W4 considering that? Nah. I trust CDPR but I think the idea behind preordering for triple A games is already stupid af.

CloudNull

Banned
I disagree. I preorder games for studios I want to support even if the game turns out to be shit. I have New World and Zenith preordered already knowing full well the odds of them being good are not high. I have seen enough of the games to want to support the developers though.

I don't preorder for bonuses or skins though.

OP is correct. Pre ordering really does not make much sense given the industry's "release now, fix later" attitude. I have not pre ordered a game since Mankind Divided in 2016, till CP. MD was great, but did I gain anything of value from pre ordering? Nope. And CP, well... Nothing more to say there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom