• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU2 - Thread Only For Fans - No Haters Allowed

How do you rate TLOU2:

• 5/10

• 6/10

• 7/10

• 8/10

• 9/10 - Still an amazing game but a little bit worse than Part 1

• 10/10 - trully an amazing like a first game

• 11/10 - It's a masterpiece, even better than the first game

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pawel86ck

Banned
Hi guys, I think TLOU2 despite the hate is truly an amazing game and it's sad to me when so many people are complaining, or should I say trolling because many haters didnt even played the game. I thought maybe it's a good idea to create a separate thread just for people, who can really appreciate Naughty Dog game and who just dont want to deal with haters, because there's no honest discussion with them (some people just want to prove you at all cost TLOU2 deserves 0/10 despite it's many strong points and if you think otherwise then they will attack you).

The rules:
- Only people who really played the game are allowed into discussion, because I want discussion with real TLOU fans who base their opinion or real experience instead of their imagination or hateful reasons.
- Please post here only if you are interested in honest discussion about the game. All games have positive and negative side, not just negative. People who see just negatives and cant list any positives in this game obviously arnt interested in honest discussion.

I hope moderation here on NeoGAF will help keeping this thread possitive and remove unwanted "elements" when needed (some people may want to start wars here :p).

Here's my opinion about the game. I'm TLOU1 fan and I was worried ND may want to reinvent the wheel (gameplay mechanics) just to make it appeal to more people. TLOU2 gameplay mechanic however has not changed drastically. It's like meeting your old friend, so you know what to expect and you know you two will spend a quality time. Of course there are some interesting improvements in TLOU part 2, for example we can hide now in the tall grass, jump, avoid punches, break windows (amazing animation BTW.), explore bigger locations and use the map, but these are not big changes and generally it feels like playing the same game. We still need to plan encounter with enemies and use different strategy, we still need to search for supplies and "spend" each bullet / weapon careffuly. I also like story despite the hate. It's shocking and surprising and I feel like it's a good continuation to the previous game (some people were expecting a fairy tale for real? :p).

Also I need to say something about the graphics. I wasnt expecting PS4 (HD 7850/7870 GPU) can render even better looking game than already impressive Uncharted 4, but TLOU2 graphics is improved almost in every way. Character models looks INSANELY detailed (especially their clothes) and their emotions are clearly more convincing now (even eyes movement is on point). During cutscens it really feels like watching some real people and I wasnt immersed so much in any game before. What's interesting game is not using RT, however indirect lighting and reflections looks better now than ever. I'm surprised SSR can look so good.

There are only one negatives I can list. 30 fps is not optimal for this kind of game, however I'm not expecting the impossible and I hope PS5 port / patch will offer 60 fps option.

Because this game is so detailed it makes even simple exploration fun and memorable. Even if TLOU2 would be just a walking simulator I would still rate such beautiful game at least 7/10. Because TLOU2 has also great game mechanics and story on top of that, so it's a solid 10/10 from me and no one has paid me for my opinion. I also hope ND will want to make TLOU part 3 in the future despite the hate (and do it sooner than later 😁).

BTW. I struggle to talk in english, however I hope people can understood what I wanted to say :p.

I'm also including a pool, however 5/10 is the lowest possible score I can allow. I just feel scores below 5/10 would be just from trolls anyway.

Last edited:

morelan

Even though I didn't like a lot of things relating to the story, I had A LOT of fun with the gameplay. I loved exploring the locations, how the combat mechanics feel, the many strategies you could use to get past enemies. The game would have been a masterpiece, maybe my favorite of all time, was it not for the story - and even so I still consider it one of the best games of this generation.

pawel86ck

Banned
How many safe space threads does this game needs?
Sooo...you want a circlejerk thread?
The rules are simple, and if you guys are not willing to contribute here in any meaningfull way then please leave. Like I have clearly said it's not a thread for everyone, although I'm only excluding trolls, so I think my rules are fair.

Last edited:

docbot

Banned
I think this game is ruining gaming for me because it's so good. I'm halfway through and it just keeps getting better and better. Not just are the graphics and animations top notch, but the battle sequences with the seraphites are just insane, I can't think of a single game that has such fluid gameplay, the tension is just incredible. But what I like the most is how adult this game is, not just because of it's violence, but the whole tone of the game is just mature to a level that I'm not used to from video games.

Needless to say I think it will be a long time till something on the same level will pop up again.

Also shows how insanely brainwashed altrights internet peeps must be, how the fuck can you not think this game looks and plays incredible

pawel86ck

Banned
I think this game is ruining gaming for me because it's so good. I'm halfway through and it just keeps getting better and better. Not just are the graphics and animations top notch, but the battle sequences with the seraphites are just insane, I can't think of a single game that has such fluid gameplay, the tension is just incredible. But what I like the most is how adult this game is, not just because of it's violence, but the whole tone of the game is just mature to a level that I'm not used to from video games.

Needless to say I think it will be a long time till something on the same level will pop up again.

Also shows how insanely brainwashed altrights internet peeps must be, how the fuck can you not think this game looks and plays incredible
Indeed, game is extremely violent. Of course there are many violent games, but I feel like this game is on totally different level, because graphics and character models (and their painfull reactions) are extremely detailed. Even blood is crazy detailed in this game. It's definitally not a game for kids, and not even for every adult. I can understand why gamespot reviewer was so disturbed by the violence in this game.

NeoGiffer

So it's an... OnlyFans?

tenor.gif

pawel86ck

Banned
Even though I didn't like a lot of things relating to the story, I had A LOT of fun with the gameplay. I loved exploring the locations, how the combat mechanics feel, the many strategies you could use to get past enemies. The game would have been a masterpiece, maybe my favorite of all time, was it not for the story - and even so I still consider it one of the best games of this generation.
It's fair opinion, because even people who dont like the story in the game should at least appreciate it's strong points, and there are many. Like you have said combat mechanics and whole exploration is rewarding by itself. For me personally fun gameplay mechanic it's the most important aspect in any game, because no matter how good or bad the story is, it will not make shooting to enemies more fun. BTW. I'm not saying good story is not important at all, because it can make game more memorable :p.

pixelation

Game looks so much better running on my PS4 (having only watched YT videos) I'm legit floored... can only imagine how much better PS5 games will look once I see them running on my PS5. OT I think it's disgusting and pathetic the hate that this game is getting, I am willing to bet that most TLOU2 haters have not played the game and/or never had the intention of playing the game in the first place... heck many of them don't even have a PS4 and just want to see the game fail.

ZywyPL

Banned
That's actually a really realistic score options - the graphics and animations in the game are top notch, one of the best of this generation, so realistically the game deserves at least 5/10 for the visuals, despite how average/bad/garbage everything else it.

RedVIper

Banned
That's actually a really realistic score options - the graphics and animations in the game are top notch, one of the best of this generation, so realistically the game deserves at least 5/10 for the visuals, despite how average/bad/garbage everything else it.

What if I don't care about visuals? At least from a technical standpoint? (I do care about art style)

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm a hater, but I like breaking rules so here I am. With that being said I'll praise TLoU2.

I've always sided with David Jaffe. Games are a poor medium for storytelling. I've always preferred developers focus on mechanics as opposed to story, and I've always thought the best story based games told horrible stories. Don't get me started on RDR2 compared to competent Hollywood Westerns...

I'm 10 hours into TLoU2 and I'm like "Ohhhh, I get it now". There's some storytelling magic going on here that isn't present in movies, TV, or books.

Naughty Dog has earned my respect with this game. I'm officially interested in where they (and others) take storytelling in games moving forward. All thanks to TLoU II.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Haven't finished the game yet but so far:

Story: 6/10 basic. I generally like character building but the long development sections kinda bored me. The first game did them at a perfect tempo.
Gameplay: 9/10 I fucking love the combat it is very satisfying! the only complaint would be that it is getting a little repetitive.
Graphics: 9/10 The character models are A+. A few things look a little odd but when I think about it there are only a handful of games that do character models the same or better.
Music: 9/10 really good at setting the mood and compliments the environment well. Not a 10 because I can't see it being memorable.

Solid final game from Naughty Dog for this gen. Blessed to not have the world end and have the opportunity to play this game.

pawel86ck

Banned
How many joke threads does this game need???
You see that's the problem. The rules are simple, yet some of you guys still cant help but post your negative comments here no matter what. Like I have clearly said this thread is only for fans, where people like me can discuss about the game without the need to fight with haters, and especially the ones who arnt even played the game.
Exactly graphics and whole world in this game is so detailed and beautiful it deserves at least 5/10 no matter how someone will look at it. No fair gamer would rate such game lower than 5. People who were giving 0-4 on metacritic were obviously trolling, and I'm sure most of them didnt even played the game (not to mention complete the story, because this particular game is very long and the thing is most people need to work, eat, sleep. etc.).

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Haven't finished the game yet but so far:

Story: 6/10 basic. I generally like character building but the long development sections kinda bored me. The first game did them at a perfect tempo.
Gameplay: 9/10 I fucking love the combat it is very satisfying! the only complaint would be that it is getting a little repetitive.
Graphics: 9/10 The character models are A+. A few things look a little odd but when I think about it there are only a handful of games that do character models the same or better.
Music: 9/10 really good at setting the mood and compliments the environment well. Not a 10 because I can't see it being memorable.

Solid final game from Naughty Dog for this gen. Blessed to not have the world end and have the opportunity to play this game.
Appreciate your honest opinion man. It shows people who just hate the game can only criticize the story, because everything else is on point. Such games dont deserve something like "0", and gamers who were giving such low scores werent fair for sure. "0" literally means nothing works, and that's not the case here.

I'd give the game an 8. Though a circlejerk thread does nothing for sharing of ideas/themes or open conversation for that matter.

pawel86ck

Banned
I'd give the game an 8. Though a circlejerk thread does nothing for sharing of ideas/themes or open conversation for that matter.
8 means you still liked the game, so I'm willing to believe you want honest discussion instead of hating. Please share what do you liked and didnt liked about TLOU part 2.

8 means you still liked the game, so I'm willing to believe you want honest discussion instead of hating. Please share what do you liked and didnt liked about TLOU part 2.
One of the biggest pillars of the first game was the story telling and part 2 just doesn't do it as well. I'm not even upset at what takes place in the story, just how it's told. The constant time jumps back and forth and right as a story beat is getting tense and starting to get it's hook on you, flash back. I'd have preferred honestly if they just told all the parts sequentially, it'd make the emotional motivations for the characters to make more sense to me rather than having to wait for another flashback scene to explain why Ellie was being so cold or so and so did this. The time jumps just don't work for me at all. If they wanted to give Ellie such a huge motivation for wanting revenge, at least let me appreciate WHY she's so upset by letting me enjoy the good life that Tommy built in his settlement so that when THAT scene happens it has way more impact. If they had played all scenes in sequential order from Ellie's perspective leading up to the death, the death would probably had more impact on me. I was more annoyed than anything. Not even a tear, I was more emotionally connected to Sara in the first 15 minutes of the first game than I was with Joel in the second, and that's AFTER you play a whole game as him.

Even that aside, the game is almost as much about Abby as it is Ellie. I don't give a shit about her, even flash-backing to her motivations, I just plain don't care. It's the apocalypse, everyone's eating a shit sandwich. If you are the "bad guy" in my game, you're the bad guy, I don't care about your motivations no matter how much you want me to. I don't know who thought I'd be able to relate to the torturer of one of the best characters, but they should lower the dosage of whatever they are taking.

I will say though, that I think the gameplay is very very fun and really enjoy the encounters. I would absolutely love a co-op mode were me and a buddy could clear out a randomly generated city block of hunter/infected. I'd be through the roof happy. The gameplay and presentation is some of the best on the market. I'd say that 60 fps would substantially improve the game and for the love of Zeus, mouse and keyboard support. And the music. My god is the music fantastic. Gustavo knocked it out of the park AGAIN. I love just about everything about the game except for the story, which coming off the first game, is a big reason as to why I put it at a 8/10 as opposed to something higher.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
One of the biggest pillars of the first game was the story telling and part 2 just doesn't do it as well. I'm not even upset at what takes place in the story, just how it's told. The constant time jumps back and forth and right as a story beat is getting tense and starting to get it's hook on you, flash back. I'd have preferred honestly if they just told all the parts sequentially, it'd make the emotional motivations for the characters to make more sense to me rather than having to wait for another flashback scene to explain why Ellie was being so cold or so and so did this. The time jumps just don't work for me at all. If they wanted to give Ellie such a huge motivation for wanting revenge, at least let me appreciate WHY she's so upset by letting me enjoy the good life that Tommy built in his settlement so that when THAT scene happens it has way more impact. If they had played all scenes in sequential order from Ellie's perspective leading up to the death, the death would probably had more impact on me. I was more annoyed than anything. Not even a tear, I was more emotionally connected to Sara in the first 15 minutes of the first game than I was with Joel in the second, and that's AFTER you play a whole game as him.

Even that aside, the game is almost as much about Abby as it is Ellie. I don't give a shit about her, even flash-backing to her motivations, I just plain don't care. It's the apocalypse, everyone's eating a shit sandwich. If you are the "bad guy" in my game, you're the bad guy, I don't care about your motivations no matter how much you want me to. I don't know who thought I'd be able to relate to the torturer of one of the best characters, but they should lower the dosage of whatever they are taking.
You see, that's honest discussion. You dont like the story, but at least you can tell why exactly. On top of that you can still see the positive side, because 8/10 is still a good score. Thanks for your valuable contribution into this thread.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Lol at the guys who complain about shit posting in their “comfort threads” and then Come in this thread to accuse the OP of creating a safe zone like its some free speech issue...

Ah it’s a crazy world.

Anyway, yeah I’m surprised at the immaturity of gamers with this title. I suppose I shouldn’t be - gaming is still the preserve of pre teens and teens - and that includes some with a biological age much higher than that ...

But the outrage directed at the authors of this story is palpable.

Given how TLoU 1 went I don’t see how this story could have been handled any differently without it just being a rehash of TLoU 1. That’s exactly the problem with gaming franchises that outstay their welcome - they become boring, cliched and lack any sense of fear because we all know the character will be back in the next game.

I also think the outrage over the story is misplaced. People are treating Druckmann like he’s some disconnected force who is just trying to piss people off... But the fact is these are his and ND’s characters.

They’ve lived with them for over 10 years. Breathed life into them, and spent each day with them while making these games and ultimately it’s ND themselves who will feel the most pain of the outcome of the story.

These are their children ...

ND have taken a risk that is clearly not about money or starting a comfortable franchise of games that repeat over and over.

Instead they told a story that will resonate for many years just because it’s not a video game story.

You see that's the problem. The rules are simple, yet some of you guys still cant help but post your negative comments here no matter what. Like I have clearly said this thread is only for fans, where people like me can discuss about the game without the need to fight with haters, and especially the ones who arnt even played the game.

Fuck your shit rules. You see that's the problem. You think people have to agree with your shit opinion, well news flash, if you cant tolerate opposite opinions, leave the internet.

Last edited:

Neff

I rate the original 8.5 and so far (20 hours in) the sequel is matching it. It may even surpass it.

Anyway, yeah I’m surprised at the immaturity of gamers with this title.

Gamers are nutters. Many are entrenched in an internet culture war and eager to bat for their team. It's addictive.

It's unbelievably ironic that TLoU2's central theme is 'us vs them' seen from two not-so-different sides, and the empty, self-feeding spiral of negativity it creates.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

Hi guys, I think TLOU2 despite the hate is truly an amazing game and it's sad to me when so many people are complaining, or should I say trolling because many haters didnt even played the game. I thought maybe it's a good idea to create a separate thread just for people, who can really appreciate Naughty Dog game and who just dont want to deal with haters, because there's no honest discussion with them (some people just want to prove you at all cost TLOU2 deserves 0/10 despite it's many strong points and if you think otherwise then they will attack you).

The rules:
- Please post here if you really like the game and share your possitive impression (edit. or at least when you are somewhere in between haters and fans, because people like that can be still interested in honest discussion and that's not the case with haters).
- Only people who really played the game are allowed into discussion.

I hope moderation here on NeoGAF will help keeping this thread possitive and remove unwanted "elements" when needed (some people may want to start wars here :p).

Here's my possitive opinion about the game. I'm TLOU1 fan and I was worried ND may want to reinvent the wheel (gameplay mechanics) just to make it appeal to more people. TLOU2 gameplay mechanic however has not changed drastically. It's like meeting your old friend, so you know what to expect and you know you two will spend a quality time. Of course there are some interesting improvements in TLOU part 2, for example we can hide now in the tall grass, jump, avoid punches, break windows (amazing animation BTW.), explore bigger locations and use the map, but these are not big changes and generally it feels like playing the same game. We still need to plan encounter with enemies and use different strategy, we still need to search for supplies and "spend" each bullet / weapon careffuly. I also like story despite the hate. It's shocking and surprising and I feel like it's a good continuation to the previous game (some people were expecting a fairy tale for real? :p).

Also I need to say something about the graphics. I wasnt expecting PS4 (HD 7850/7870 GPU) can render even better looking game than already impressive Uncharted 4, but TLOU2 graphics is improved almost in every way. Character models looks INSANELY detailed (especially their clothes) and their emotions are clearly more convincing now (even eyes movement is on point). During cutscens it really feels like watching some real people and I wasnt immersed so much in any game before. What's interesting game is not using RT, however indirect lighting and reflections looks better now than ever. I'm surprised SSR can look so good. Because this game is so detailed it makes even simple exploration fun and memorable. Even if TLOU2 would be just a walking simulator I would still rate such beautiful game at least 7/10. Because TLOU2 has also great game mechanics and story on top of that, so it's a solid 10/10 from me and no one has paid me for my opinion. I also hope ND will want to make TLOU part 3 in the future despite the hate (and do it sooner than later 😁).

BTW. I struggle to talk in english, however I hope people can understood what I wanted to say :p.

I'm also including a pool, however 5/10 is the lowest possible score I can allow. I just feel scores below 5/10 would be just from trolls anyway.

NXZRTSTz2mvRZEdDu5xy1MJ65M4=.gif

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Ill throw my hat in the ring.

At the end of the day I feel like its a 6 out of 10. The tech behind this game is very good. You cant deny that the acting and facial capture is head and shoulder about the rest of the industry.

I found the game play to be pretty much more of the same. I think the stealth gets too much praise though as the AI isn't exactly smart and it often feels like they are simply designed to look in a cone and slowly make their way towards the player rather than actually act like humans, creating this wait and kill approach since the game focuses on being realistic for the most part. I found myself to have a much better time with it by turning down the sealth and consumable difficulty. Tuns it more in to a Resident evil paced game which I like more. There is still a frantic feeling that is very compelling and makes you feel like you aren't in control in a good way. But this isn't strong enough for the length of the game. It gets old.

The story is the big issue here. While its crafted amazingly in a tech fashion, sound and video design are superb, the story written here is very poor. It relies on trying to paint a picture of a society that has been told a thousand times in any kind of post break out of some illness that causes mutation. Everyone kills and everyone has their own reasons for doing so.

Taking this approach the story tries to tell the same story from two different anlges but fails to present a good argument that each side did what they had to do. Abbys character is not one thats painted in a way that ever sees her as redeeming. She is simply a terrible person and its never told in any way to how I am supposed to find this characters actions acceptable.

Forcing me to play as Abby only hurt this further as it takes away fro the main character you know about and have seen grow and tries to cram everything it wants to in about 6 hours of game time. This isn't ideal in any way but the writing once again doesn't create any scenario where I am supposed to like and understand this character. I have see a few flashbacks of her being a normal kid but then I am never privy to her growth. I am never given a chance to see whatshe actually feels. She committed murder in a brutal fashion and whenever asked about it the player is only told "he got what he deserved." Which is not only shallow but makes no sense as based upon that philsophy of her own, Joel doesn't deserve his fate as he was simply doing what he thought was right.

There is good writing in here. Most of the flashbacks with Ellie and Joel are fantastic and help flesh out the relationship even more but it ultimately has nothing to do with the main plot. Its there to simply try and get you to feel bad from the actions that have taken place. The wiritng also tries to mimic the story of Ellie and Abby as if they are crafted from the same mold. They both lost their fathers, they both did things they arent proud of, but the difference is Abby never has an explanation for her actions other than "this is what has to be done."

The redemeption arc around Abby is shallow. Just because she has saved 2 people after literally murdering thousands isn't enough for anyone to suddenly see the light. Its cheap writing and makes no sense.

Ellie isnt given any kind of real arc here either as hers simply breaks down by the end as well. Shes driven by rage the entire game and there is no trasnforamtion of her until literally she finally get hers goal and is about to get her revenge and decides not to based upon a couple of flashbacks. Its hard to believe that she finally sees this as the mistake as she has killed many and left her family behind for this moment only to suddenly see the light? Again cheap writing and makes no sense based upon the story that had been told up to that point.

I could go on and on how this game does not make much sense in the story telling department but Ill sum it up by saying at the end of TLOU you see Joel make a choice and you can feel the weight of that choice as it has repercussions for many. You might agree with his choice, you might not, but thats the brilliance of it as it asks questions of characters that dont really have a right answer based upon the world it created.

TLOU II paints the world as a terrible place that is home to many cults and extremists that will murder you on sight, as well as groups that are not radicalized like the Wolves. There is no mercy in this universe and its shown to have no mercy through the entirety of it until suddenly is just doesn't anymore. Theres no remorse shown by either main character until suddenly there is with no change in direction of writing to drive and show the characters change.

The story sinks this game as its always been the glue that holds it together. Its the main center piece of this franchise and this story and instead of writing something that has a story and shows growth of a situation in a fucked up world. its boiled down to "killing is bad and someone has to break the cycle." Which is a tired formula in this genre and disrespects the characters that were created in the first game.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
people have different opinions and they are free to speak their minds, who gives you the right to silence people?
Noegaf like pretty much every place on the internet is a place with healthly rules, for example console wars, alt accounts and trolling are not allowed here. Without these rules there would be chaos in every thread.

Many threds here have their own rules, so I have created my own because I want honest discussion about this game instead of trolling and that's why I have writen simple and fair rules. People who see nothing but negatives or who didnt even played the game are obviously trolling and not interested in honest disscusion. If you just want to hate the game there are other placed for that here on neogaf.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom