• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLoU Part II is on sale for $20. I never played it. Do I want to?

IMHO, no.

The first game is a masterpiece. I played the ps3 version long after release, and was stunned at the quality of the writing and production. To this day, it has one of the few dlc that I don’t regret buying.

I still haven’t finished part 2. The open world part was just fatiguing. Every time I think of playing again, I just can’t bring myself to care.

SSfox

I don't like the game overall, and all the new characters sticks hardcore, but for 20 bucks it's worth it, since there are few magical moments with Joel and Ellie still, and the gameplay is good.

No one can say it isn't a great game with great graphics and levels of polish.

You can argue about the story sure. Some love it some hate it.

I love it and loved the first game. Play it and see for yourselves. Something to remember is the leaks where often lies or taken completely out of context.

And even what's true is irrelevant until you see context.
Exactly.

Shmunter

IMHO, no.

The first game is a masterpiece. I played the ps3 version long after release, and was stunned at the quality of the writing and production. To this day, it has one of the few dlc that I don’t regret buying.

I still haven’t finished part 2. The open world part was just fatiguing. Every time I think of playing again, I just can’t bring myself to care.
I hate open world but the open sections here are not the typical icon checklists. You can investigate parts at your own prerogative. And none interfere with the underlying plot.

Last edited:

Catphish

I played through the original again, and then jumped right into Part II.

I'm gonna be honest, this game is a hard one for me. I finished Part I in about a week. I think I've been at Part II for over a month. And it's not necessarily the difficulty (though I am presently stuck), but just the joylessness of the story, the numbing violence of the gameplay... I mean, how many people's necks do I have to fucking break or stab? I find my sessions with the game run much shorter than with its predecessor.

As far as the story, I don't mind it. It's an earnest take on the Another Side, Another Story trope and, as much as I miss Joel, this is fine. In fact, I like Abby, and her story. Aside from the fact that she could probably beat the endless shit out of me with those tree trunk arms, I'd still ask her out.

But for my taste, the gameplay, as much as I enjoyed it in Part I, is now overstaying its welcome. I'm tired of looking for drawers to open, for scissors to collect, and for people to murder with an axe. Or a machete. Or a 2x4. It was all much more tolerable when I was killing zombies. At least that could be seen as a service, or at least a mercy. But now, killing all these people, while the game is bent on drilling into you that every side has its own story, well... it's not the same. It's bleak and brutal and... tiresome.

Anyway, I'm stuck at this part where
Abby escapes the hanging and is off with the other two Saraphites. Abby helps them escape some building by boosting them over a door and through a window above, and is now in the locked building alone. All shit is breaking loose, including two shamblers, and I'm fucked for ammo. If you have any tips, I'd love to hear them.

I hope I'm close to the end because, at this point, I just want to finish it and move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

kyliethicc

I'm gonna be honest, this game is a hard one for me. I finished Part I in about a week. I think I've been at Part II for over a month. And it's not necessarily the difficulty (though I am presently stuck), but just the joylessness of the story, the numbing violence of the gameplay... I mean, how many people's necks do I have to fucking break or stab? I find my sessions with the game run much shorter than with its predecessor.

As far as the story, I don't mind it. It's an earnest take on the Another Side, Another Story trope and, as much as I miss Joel, this is fine. In fact, I like Abby, and her story. Aside from the fact that she could probably beat the endless shit out of me with those tree trunk arms, I'd still ask her out.

But for my taste, the gameplay, as much as I enjoyed it in Part I, is now overstaying its welcome. I'm tired of looking for drawers to open, for scissors to collect, and for people to murder with an axe. Or a machete. Or a 2x4. It was all much more tolerable when I was killing zombies. At least that could be seen as a service, or at least a mercy. But now, killing all these people, while the game is bent on drilling into you that every side has its own story, well... it's not the same. It's bleak and brutal and... tiresome.

Abby escapes the hanging and is off with the other two Saraphites. Abby helps them escape some building by boosting them over a door and through a window above, and is now in the locked building alone. All shit is breaking loose, including two shamblers, and I'm fucked for ammo. If you have any tips, I'd love to hear them.

I hope I'm close to the end because, at this point, I just want to finish it and move on.
1 - You’ve got a fair amount of story left. And its the actual ending that makes the story pay off.

2 - You can avoid a lot of the combat in basically every chapter. Just move forward to the next area, run, etc. Don’t waste your time trying to kill people unless you must. See a lot of people fail to realize how little of the fighting is actually necessary. Same with the scavenging. Just move on if you don’t wanna do it. It’s not required.

3 - The part you’re stuck on can be tough, just stick to melee / running. Once the shamblers attack, just stay alive long enough for the thing that happens (don’t wanna spoil it.) Don’t try to kill every infected, just keep moving and kill time. You’ll see what I mean.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

The skilltrees you unlock with Abby is a clue you still got a lot left... 👀

And yeah, the first game had more moments of levity.

Last edited:

Brock2621

I played the first one and really enjoyed it.

I've watched the commotion about the second from a distance and was put off enough from what I read to refrain from buying it.

$20 isn't horrible, but I don't want to waste my time with crap. The gameplay seems to be similar to the first, which is fine.

So, simple question: Is the story worth playing through? I'm a big boy, and don't need a story to cater to my sensibilities. I only need it to be good.

Is it a good story? Is it well-told with good pacing and interesting character arcs? Is it worth the 20+ hour investment?

I know the big stink is what happens to Joel. I can live with that, if the story that follows is good. But I do not want another 'subverts expectations for the sake of it' trip.

So what sez you?
It’s not like… “fun” per say but neither is watching Schindlers List

th4tguy

Any form of media that is as polarizing as this deserves to be consumed, just so you can form your own opinions about it.

I loved the game but I can totally see how others wouldn’t (because they are wrong and live in their parents basements, complaining about how they can’t get girlfriends). At $20 it’s a great price point to judge for yourself.

Edit: the game is a bit longer than it needs to be

Last edited:

vpance

I agree that the combat wears on you in this one, though part of my mistake was playing it on hard. By the end I didn't care to play it "right" and was just cheesing the AI to pass the areas.

Unfortunately, you are nowhere near the end. lol

The gameplay is really great. It's dirty, gritty and gory. Love to play as a psychokiller ellie, or as dwayne "steel arms" johnson. The story is meh, but i didn't find it as atrocious as people like to complain.

I played it on base ps4, and a year later saw footage of it on a 4k tv with the pro, god playing it at 60fps on a good tv has to feel amazing

When are they going to bring this to PC. I thoroughly enjoyed my playthrough on my now deceased PS4.

I want this at 4K/60FPS on my PC. SONY!!!....PLEASE!!!

Crzy1

It's a rough game to get through. I'd say it's definitely something that should be played, but I think it's better in smaller doses. I've only finished it twice, the first time I played it through in a long weekend and it was just a lot to handle. The next time I played it through on the PS5 after the 60 FPS patch and in smaller chunks and I found I had a lot better time with it. Significantly less effective gut-punch moments the second time through probably helped a lot too. For $20, I'd say it's a no-brainer, but it's meant to make you feel bad and it does a damned good job of it. The graphics, gunplay and sound design are all on-point, still one of the best looking games ever made. If it ever makes it's way over to the PC, I'll probably give it another go, too.

kyliethicc

When are they going to bring this to PC. I thoroughly enjoyed my playthrough on my now deceased PS4.

I want this at 4K/60FPS on my PC. SONY!!!....PLEASE!!!
Safe to say you’ll at least get a PS5 port, if not a PC port.

Seems obvious that at least the multiplayer game will be on PC, probably even on day 1.

Majormaxxx

I know what could have saved TLOU2 from the wrath of people who like to play actually enjoyable games. Instead of the new, no fun allowed, ND output.

Choice.

Include a rudimentary good Shepard/bad Shepard choices at certain points. This way you could play as renegade Ellie and just plow through... Or you could be paragon Abbie and show compassion etc.. That would have been a game changer.

Heck, even in TLoU they removed choice at the end (you can't not kill the doc) and they guilt trip you for that in TLOU2 and use it as an excuse for the golf practice.

If you are going to be guilt tripping, give people a choice.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You don't see many developers do this because those choices would be meaningless in the next installment. Imagine if you had the option to give up Ellie at the end of TLOU 1, and then they made TLOU 2 with the same exact story. Your choice to give up Ellie would amount to nothing.

kyliethicc

I know what could have saved TLOU2 from the wrath of people who like to play actually enjoyable games. Instead of the new, no fun allowed, ND output.
Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy, and Part 2 are the most fun games Naughty Dog have ever made.

Terrible idea.
Include a rudimentary good Shepard/bad Shepard choices at certain points. This way you could play as renegade Ellie and just plow through... Or you could be paragon Abbie and show compassion etc.. That would have been a game changer.
Wouldn’t work at all, and would add lot of cost & complexity.
Heck, even in TLoU they removed choice at the end (you can't not kill the doc)
You never have any choice. Its a linear story game.

and they guilt trip you for that in TLOU2
Nope.
and use it as an excuse for the golf practice.
Its the motivation for the antagonist.
If you are going to be guilt tripping, give people a choice.
If you felt guilt for what Joel did, that’s on you.

The game isn’t making any judgments.

I tried liking this game. I approached it twice, before and after 60FPS patch. The best way to experience this is by watching it on YouTube:

lol oof. what a bad take

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy, and Part 2 are the most fun games Naughty Dog have ever made.
zVuHlqO.gif

Nautilus

Banned

We tried to warn you OP.

Spaceman292

Banned

It's pretty miserable. It starts sad then just gets more and more sad and sickening until the end. Good or bad, in the end it's just leaves you feeling bad.

Spaceman292

Banned
I tried liking this game. I approached it twice, before and after 60FPS patch. The best way to experience this is by watching it on YouTube:

But the gameplay is the best part. Why would you deny yourself of that and just take in the depressing bit? If anything you should do the opposite. Play the game and ignore the cutscenes.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
But the gameplay is the best part. Why would you deny yourself of that and just take in the depressing bit? If anything you should do the opposite. Play the game and ignore the cutscenes.

Shit, sorry I misspoke in my post. I mean to say it's the best way to experience the story (YouTube movie). To be honest, I never liked gameplay in Naughty Dog games. I only played Uncharted and the first TLOU for characters and story. I might give TLOU2 a third chance at one point.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The audio is pretty good. Sneak around, fire off that pistol, and enjoy the sound effects. I also enjoy hearing the clickers click. It reminds me of the zombies in Resident Evil.

SpokkX

It is a drawn out experience with lots and i mean LOTS of unskippable forced walking scenes (i cant stand those)

Some good gameplay mechanics in the third person genre with a story that.. goes in directions that seem out of place

Majormaxxx

Yes, you must be mentally ill to enjoy a well-crafted technical marvel which is incredibly fun to play because some internet mouth breathers took issue with some narrative choices. You nailed it champ.
Calling people who like the game mentally ill is just as bad as calling those who dislike it mouthbreathers. Way to go, champ. Tolerance and seeing the perspective of the other side - a key message in the game - went over some people's heads. Guess if not in the gaming space, maybe the game will have a deescalating impact on the Israel/Palestine conflict, where the idea originated in Mr. Druckmann's mind in the first place. Oh, one can dream...

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Calling people who like the game mentally ill is just as bad as calling those who dislike it mouthbreathers. Way to go, champ.
I’m sure there are plenty of reasons people don’t like the game, the guy posting above you had a specific example of something about the game he didn’t like, but saying you must be a mentally ill resetera poster to enjoy it is a mouth breather take.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

I’m sure there are plenty of reasons people don’t like the game, the guy posting above you had a specific example of something about the game he didn’t like, but saying you must be a mentally ill resetera poster to enjoy it is a mouth breather take.
Still no need for calling people names... on both sides... GAF is such a cool place with awesome people... no need for that - even if provoked

Top Bottom