• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Part II has the best set pieces in a videogame ever (SPOILERS)

Vick

Gold Member
Maybe you dont hate the game you just dislike the story :messenger_neutral:
My negative feelings towards this game are inversely proportional to the positive i hold for the first one.

Just as Druckmann wanted.

"I wanted people to hate her immensely. Where they think they want to do horrible things to her."

https://screenrant.com/last-of-us-2-people-hate-abby/

And i did hated her. And by end of the game i just felt a sort of compassion for what a gigantic mess of a character she is.

You haters are weird as hell. :messenger_confounded:
The weird as hell ones are on the other side. But i'm not interested in my 100th discussion on the game, let's just agree to disagree.

Bartski

Gold Member
2 years in, a new generation of consoles and not a single game released since then comes even close in the animation department and so much more.
It blows my mind seeing people bitch about the remake when we know it will be made using their next iteration of this tech.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
2 years in, a new generation of consoles and not a single game released since then comes even close in the animation department and so much more.
It blows my mind seeing people bitch about the remake when we know it will be made using their next iteration of this tech.

I think most of the bitching comes from the wish that it was something NEW using this next iteration. Like...we have the PS3 version, the PS4 remaster, the PS5 remake, and the HBO adaptation. That's kind of overkill for one story, especially given that two versions of the story are 100% the same.

People were getting tired of the "generation of remasters and remakes," four years ago, and so far this gen has seen

Dead Space
Demon's Souls
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Resident Evil 4 Remake
The Last of Us, Part I

Like...it doesn't fill me with confidence for the creativity of current devs.

lillars

I agree. As much as I disliked Abby as a character, her chapters were far and away the best. My favorite is the section with the Hospital at Ground Zero with the creepy giant monster (which I think is the "rat king").

Bragr

Banned
The problem with GOW and Uncharted, and other games alike that had been cited, is that -while technically impressive- they are too bombastic, rely too much in fantastical elements and try way too hard to impress. Is the groundedness of the sequences that make TLOU much more impactful to me, even though we all know it's still a work of fiction, but one that tries to respect the laws of reality (physics, etc.).
The Last of Us turned into pure fantasy when they introduced the rat king and the whisper faction. The first game tried to be grounded, the second did not.

Bragr

Banned
I don't think it's over at all, I think she is in the middle of her arch as a character an at rock bottom.
Rock bottom? she turned into a psychopath killer, it's not rock bottom, it's hell. She's definitely not coming back in any big way. She's gonna be a footnote in the Lev story in Part III and have some big scene towards the end that closes her story and she dies or something.

Generic

I don't think you know what "set pieces" means.

In regards to "set pieces" proper, I'd say it's relatively weak actually. Especially compared to something like RE (pretty much any RE game).
The most recent RE games had pretty unimaginative setpieces.

angrod14

The Last of Us turned into pure fantasy when they introduced the rat king and the whisper faction. The first game tried to be grounded, the second did not.
The rat king is actually a real natural phenomenon, just like the cordyceps, and it's completely logical within the context of the game. If you explore the ground zero and pay attention to the environmental storytelling, it's very reasonable to believe it would form down there with the infected through the years of containment within a small space.

And how in the world are the seraphites pure fantasy? That whole whistling shit is a quite smart and tactical form of communication during warfare because it's essentially encrypted: Seraphites whistles decoded.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
The rat king is actually a real natural phenomenon, just like the cordyceps, and it's completely logical within the context of the game. If you explore the ground zero and pay attention to the environmental storytelling, it's very reasonable to believe it would form down there with the infected through the years of containment within a small space.

And how in the world are the seraphites pure fantasy? That whole whistling shit is a quite smart and tactical form of communication during warfare because it's essentially encrypted: Seraphites whistles decoded.
Just because the rat king phenomenon is a thing doesn't mean the fantasy monster they used makes any sense. It's a big departure from the normal mushroom monsters, they did their best in trying to stay away from overdramatizing the infection storyline in the first game.

The whistle faction is like the groups in The Walking Dead, you know, where in one episode they come across a village that's cannibals, and then in the next episode, they come across a group of people who are super nice and suddenly betrays them. Stuff like that, where the show is trying to come up with "new threats" to have something to do in each episode.

The whistle faction is like that, they are "the new threat" for the sequel but they make no sense. They use bows and arrows against a modern military (that's impossible). They also got dumb traits like being absurdly cartoonish zealous and they hate technology. They are a cornball fantasy faction.

If the game tried to be grounded, they wouldn't need to create "different cultures" of people within the same location.

angrod14

Just because the rat king phenomenon is a thing doesn't mean the fantasy monster they used makes any sense. It's a big departure from the normal mushroom monsters, they did their best in trying to stay away from overdramatizing the infection storyline in the first game.
Under that argument the Rat King is a "fantasy monster" as much as a bloater is, which was featured since the first game. I just see it as another variation of the infected, a very exceptional and rare one but plausible, and freaking awesome to look at. It's not really a "big departure", it's just a group of clickers blended together like rats because of very peculiar environmental circumstances.

They use bows and arrows against a modern military (that's impossible). They also got dumb traits like being absurdly cartoonish zealous and they hate technology. They are a cornball fantasy faction.

If the game tried to be grounded, they wouldn't need to create "different cultures" of people within the same location.
Scars rely on hiding and shooting from strategic places, having a full knowledge of the terrain, ambushing, psychological intimidation, and picking apart the WLF in small groups. Their approach is similar to guerrilla warfare. They just don't go around shooting arrows in an open field against gun-armed men like retards, unless they're left with no other choice.

One of the major themes of the game is tribalism and extremism, specially because of cultural/religious beliefs and territorial control. The whole freaking game is pretty much a reference to the never ending Israeli-Palestinian conflict. That's why the seraphites are so peculiar, to accentuate the contrast with the opposite faction.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
giphy.gif

I played TLOU2 and Red Dead Redemption 2 back to back. Big mistake because everything i played for a while after these was shit to me, lmao.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
and the cordyceps infection taking a more front row seat.
Im impartial with this. I kind of like the mystery of the infection, however there is a part of me that wants to know more about it. Have a feeling abby and ellie will team up against a new faction, as ellie wants to try to become the cure and abby has the resources to help. Also maybe the leader of the new faction is immune as well and there is a huge dilemma about everything they thought they knew

Doom85

The weird as hell ones are on the other side.

The director and even Abby’s voice actress (because CLEARLY she wrote the script, LOL) received multiple death threats. And when the game awards happened, I watched a few Youtubers to see if there would be any salt just for amusement. But I did not expect to see a guy literally grab his keyboard and violently throw it to the side. Like holy shit. Also, the Youtubers Girlfriend Reviews had to deal with a whole incident of a guy trying to make them look bad simply because they posted two videos praising the game. Thankfully they were smart and due to some good investigation they were able to expose this guy for the bullshitter that he was.

Yes, the vast majority of people, whether they liked it or not, behaved like normal people and got on with their lives. However, when it comes to toxic behavior or even worse, there’s no argument to even be had that most of it comes from various people who hated the game. And this is true for most fandoms not just this one. People who had a negative reaction to a piece of media are far more likely to behave in various toxic or unhinged ways as opposed to people who liked it.

EruditeHobo

I've seen more bombastic set-pieces in other games. One I'll never forget was getting devoured by the Rift Worm in Gears of War 2 and having to chainsaw through its heart...

This is a pretty fucking good one, good call.
GOW has had some great ones, often at the start of the games -- opening/first boss in 1, 2, and 3 are all fantastic.
ND has made some great ones, obviously, including in Uncharted and TLOU1.

But yeah, TLOU2 has some of my very favorites and most memorable/best executed IMO:

- The Jeep section with Jesse, rarely has an intense POV action/quicktime scene been that good IMO.
- The whole island burning down at the end, fighting constantly through that as things are going insane all around you.
- Stealth section in the big flooded shopping mall.
- The sniper section as Abby... incredible.
- The fungus-ed out hotel that you traverse through to the bottom

Got a bunch of really, really excellent ones.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't hate UC3, I just think it sacrificed it's story to fit all those set pieces. UC4 is a lot less concerned with that and more concerned with telling a good story.
Amy henning admitted that was the case. The leads on the project were the level designers who would come up with setpieces and tell her to write her story around them.

Its a testament to her talent that the story wasn’t a complete disaster.

I feel like naughty dog spent 15 years perfecting the 3rd person shooter mechanics since the first Uncharted game and Tlou2 it was their true masterpiece.

The fact I remember every single level from the game and most encounters says it all. I usually forget most stuff about most games I play but sometimes I still think about this one. That rarely happens to me since I'm a working adult that doesn't replay videogames countless times.

This one really stayed with me.
'member the first time you run into the Seraphites in the woods, and they're using whistles to communicate your position to each other and hunt you down? So. Good. I texted my buddy who's a big real-life hunter right after to let him know that I now knew what it was like to be prey lol

Last edited:
No one saw part 2 after the first one, so they can always do something
I think Druckman will only let a Part III happen if he's at the helm, and whether he's at the helm might depend on how well he does in "Hollywood" with the Last of Us TV show. Seems like he could become primarily a tv/movie guy and have a hard time going back to games.

THEAP99

Banned
The hospital basement with Abby was incredible. Additionally, while being a simple car chase, I thought Jesse & Ellie in day 2 escaping out of the suburbs and crashing but then zombies coming was intense AF. Felt like a walking dead scene. Omg I just remembered Abby set pieces on seraphite island when everything was burning down and getting attacked.. that was incredible

Seriously WTF what other linear story driven game has the amount of quality in it's 20+ hour runtime as tlou2? So many bright moments in the game they really gave it all they had. To me it felt like the first naughty dog game of actual true meat & bones

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I think Druckman will only let a Part III happen if he's at the helm, and whether he's at the helm might depend on how well he does in "Hollywood" with the Last of Us TV show. Seems like he could become primarily a tv/movie guy and have a hard time going back to games.
He’s literally directing a new game right now and he’s the co-president of Naughty Dog.

The show is a side project for Druckmann that’s mostly Craig Mazin’s project.

Bartski

Gold Member
I think most of the bitching comes from the wish that it was something NEW using this next iteration. Like...we have the PS3 version, the PS4 remaster, the PS5 remake, and the HBO adaptation. That's kind of overkill for one story, especially given that two versions of the story are 100% the same.

People were getting tired of the "generation of remasters and remakes," four years ago, and so far this gen has seen

Dead Space
Demon's Souls
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Resident Evil 4 Remake
The Last of Us, Part I

Like...it doesn't fill me with confidence for the creativity of current devs.
sure, greenlighting this project is questionable, I can relate.
I was referring to complaints about the upgrade being insignificant. TLOU2 is last-gen tech, so what if in so many ways it's miles ahead of what we've seen of current-gen today?
No point speculating further until they let the gameplay speak

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I raise you.....
YLkFskM.gif
CanineTinyArgali-size_restricted.gif
Asuras Wrath had some nice anime as fuck boss fights.
Same with Bayonetta.

But God of War has them both trumped and Bayonetta is like my game of the generation(I put like 200 hours into it), I went in to God of War 3 totally blind, I had seen no trailers other than the announceent trailer.
Hell just climbing Gaia at the start of the game was mad, then we fight Poseidon?
By the time the Cronos fight ends I was thinking these guys have peaked, they should all retire from gaming cuz this is their magnum opus.(glad they didnt)

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
1. Abby running away from the horde, then teaming-up with Joel and Tommy to endure and escape.

2. Ellie and Joel fighting a bloater in the pitch darkness of that abandoned hotel, a nod to the good old times.

3. Ellie and Jesse escaping from the WLF and infected in the pickup truck.

4. Pretty much the entirety of Abby’s campaign:

4.1. Day 1: The seraphite ambush of the WLF patrol, all the way up to the gas station; teaming-up and running away with Yara and Lev after being taken by the scars;

4.2. Day 2: The Descent all the way down to the fight with the Rat King in Ground Zero;

4.3. Day 3: Showdown with Tommy snipping from afar; the runaway through the island while both factions fight with each other to death and everything burns; boss fight with that huge mofo.

And many more brilliant ones before, in-between and after.

Say whatever you want about the story or the narrative, but the game kicks some serious ass. No other game has ever had this amount of bad-assery.

The first one was already a showoff in this aspect, but they cranked everything up to eleven in the sequel. I don’t think we will see anything this exciting until Part III.

I loved watching Abby gets fun fun in place where things usually go out. Not.

Also your wrong. Nothing compares to ME2 Suicide Mission and nothing ever will again.

Top Bottom