• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU II wins its first Game of the Year Award of many to come! Buckle Up Buckaroo! Poll Inside!

Will the Last of US Part II be this year's concensus GOTY?

• Total voters
It seems the stars are aligning for a big Naughty Dog day today. Not only is Factions II gonna be hopefully announced (crossing fingers) and properly unveiled later today (more on Outbreak Day here: Click Me) but The Last of US: Part II also won its first Game of the Year Award a couple days ago courtesy of MTV Brazil at the MTV Brazil Awards.

Considering the great list of games that are in contention for GOTY this year (Nioh II, Doom: Eternal,FF7R, Ghost of Tsushima, Paper Mario etc); TLOU Part II seems to be a clear stand-out early.

GOTY.jpg

So what do you think?
Will TLOU Part II be the consensus GOTY this year? or will it be more split and balanced as in previous years?
Is this award one of many to come?
Does this continue Sony's domination of the Awards for the past 5 years?
Can Naughty Dog continue with this level of quality and output with its next new AAA IP?
Is Neil Druckman, with a trio of GOTY's under his belt (TLOU I, Uncharted 4 and TLOU Part II) the most decorated creative mind in the industry today? If not why not?

Now you may be asking yourself what a consensus Game of the Year means and its basically defined as the Game that wins the most GOTY awards from media publications, award shows and enthusiast outlets. It's a fairly big pot of well over 300+ sources for GOTY.

Last edited:
Can game can even beat TLoU2?
Ghost of Tsushima?
Animal Crossing?
I can see these two taking some jokes from some how hated the game. But anyone with a modest take on the game would vote it GOTY.

And many liked it. Millions in fact. The media certainly loved it too. Just like it was voted here it will be voted for again. Stands to reason.... unless rocket science is involved.
And many more millions disliked it, and the scores from GAMERS proved that. But it seems that you have your mind already made, which defeats the whole point of a discussion or even a poll....

And many more millions disliked it, and the scores from GAMERS proved that. But it seems that you have your mind already made, which defeats the whole point of a discussion or even a poll....

The like vs. dislike ratio or whatever it's that you're suggesting that somehow favors dislikes can not be defined by any single metric - much less Metacritics review bombed, culture war slug fest. TLOU Part II OT on Gaf (currently a heaven for alt-boy gamers as opposed to Reeera) is overwhelmingly positive despite those who did dislike certain elements and decisions with the story (who made their criticisms known in a reasonable manner). Now trolls and agenda's can attempt to amplify the "dislike" aspect but they're just that. The discussion is open, fair, and doesn't revolve around my opinion or yours. But Yes, you can't change my mind on something I played, which you probably have not.

Last edited:
The like vs. dislike ratio or whatever it's that you're suggesting that somehow favors dislikes can not be defined by any single metric - much less Metacritics review bombed, culture war slug fest. TLOU Part II OT on Gaf, a heaven for alt-boy gamers is overwhelming positive despite those who did dislike certain elements and decisions with the story (who made their criticisms known in a reasonable manner). Now trolls and agenda's can attempt to amplify the "dislike" aspect but they're just that. The discussion is open, fair, and doesn't revolve around my opinion or yours. But Yes, you can't change my mind on something I played, which you probably have not.
You have your mind set already, nobody is trying to charge that. But it's at least good to be open to the majority of users who don't share the same opinion as you, rather than opening a thread, and trying to shut down others who don't care for the game.

My game of the year had already been decided...
13_Sentinels_Aegis_Rim_cover_art.jpg

But I'm guessing it gonna be ignored by most VGA shows.

It will certainly be overlooked for GOTY. Would be interesting to see where it falls amongst Gears Tactics and other strategy games under the Strategy category (for the outlets that make subdivision for genre's).

You have your mind set already, nobody is trying to charge that. But it's at least good to be open to the majority of users who don't share the same opinion as you, rather than opening a thread, and trying to shut down others who don't care for the game.

What is it that specifically you do not like? Is it the poll options that were given? There are 2 clear options in the poll outside of the "positive" one. In the OP - the announcement was made, sourced, and topics were suggested to incentivize discussion. Standard procedure.

Looks to me more like a you problem, which you're trying to generalize somehow as a sole arbiter to suit a false premise of an argument (in an effort to tilt discussion in a specific direction).

You can't ask of me to present the game in a negative light. You can make your own thread for that.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Reminds me of the Oscars, what the people actually want or like never wins. Not that i like it or even played it, but Animal Crossing has to win this with it's insane sales numbers.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
What is it that specifically you do not like? Is it the poll options that were given? There are 2 clear options in the poll outside of the "positive" one. In the OP - the announcement was made, sourced, and topics were suggested to incentivize discussion. Standard procedure.

Looks to me more like a you problem, which you're trying to generalize somehow as a sole arbiter to suit a false premise of an argument (in an effort to tilt discussion in a specific direction).

You can't ask of me to present the game in a negative light. You can make your own thread for that.
Cyberpunk will be a much better game due to better sales, and better overall liking of the game. Pure gameplay and less shenanigans to steer away from the gameplay. Clean cut fun and action for everyone, and the game is highly anticipated across the boards.

Don't hurt yourself looking up synonyms there buddy. We'll still get the message.

Cyberpunk will be a much better game due to better sales, and better overall liking of the game. Pure gameplay and less shenanigans to steer away from the gameplay. Clean cut fun and action for everyone, and the game is highly anticipated across the boards.

Don't hurt yourself looking up synonyms there buddy. We'll still get the message.

You're free to advocate for Cyberpunk all you want. Why beat around the bush with all the other crap? You gotta try better than that with me. The problem, as it appears to me, is that I'm not sure you're doing it for the correct year. Do suit yourself however.

Last edited:
why are people forgetting cyberpunk :/

Cyberpunk is releasing at an odd spot this year, and well, hasn't released. What it has going for it are hopes and dreams of CDPR fans (which is fair but just that for the time being). By the time the overwhelming majority of GOTY awards are handed out, and the voting decided by outlets, Cyberpunk will be left out. When it comes to this year's voting, it will be a victim of its own delays. The question going forward for that game will be whether it had the impact fans think it will have, whether it will be received as they expect and whether it will hold enough, and have enough staying power to hold the sort of mind-share required to beat out next-gen games at the 2021 GOTY's.

Last edited:
Yes, people are going to be upset when TLOU2 wins all the GOTY awards.

Naughty Dog could've played it safe and given us a pedestrian story about Joel and Ellie hitting the road together, taking revenge against some mob that did something (sacked Jackson, killed a close friend, etc). In my opinion, that would just be TLOU 1.5, though. It would be like The Force Awakens. Not bad, but a retread of something we already got.

Instead, they opted to give up a story about how the cycle of revenge ultimately results in no one winning. For me, the game was a masterpiece.

(I didn't give a damn about Lev being a transman, and I didn't give a damn that the bad guys called him "Lilly", which weirdly upset some of the lgbtq community)

Md Ray

Wins its first GOTY award? Good luck. It will also be its last GOTY award.

Kidding, of course, :p it's one of my most anticipated games of this gen and one the best games I've played this year. ND deserves those Game Of The Year awards. Can't wait for CP2077 too

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I think Op,knows he’s retarded, before posting this thread and trying to trigger more retards.

Seems it worked.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Taking like a personal investment in what game wins GOTY is just weird.

On one side there's people like you desperate for it to win to prove it's a good game
On the other side there are people wanting it to fail drastically to prove the 'wokeness' caused it to fail.

It's going to do well, I've waited because I'm not playing that on my jet engine - I'm going to wait for that next gen goodness. From this year so far though, I think Animal Crossing probably deserves it by a long way. It transcended generations of players, it provided normality while the world was in the grip or coronavirus, the seasonal updates have been free and decent, it's spawned several user generated fashion/content sites with the design elements and it's even branched out into restaurants and organsiations having their own islands all the way up to the US Political campaigns also running an island. The sales figures dwarf most other games out this year and it's a game that traditionally has legs for years.

There's still unknowns of CP2077 which I'm betting will play a lot better than it looks at times. But it's a latecomer - however smash made some lists in 2019. FFVII Remake will have some strong nostalgic votes as will Resi. Then there is Valhalla and Legion still to drop and Odyssey was closer than ever last year. Ghost of Tsushima is a dark horse as that was excellent all round and well received by all. Fall Guys and Among Us should also be up there and I'm not sure you can discount SM3DAS.

The problem I have is that
I think a lot of outlets already decided their game of the year when TLOU II got a release date,

which leads me onto the other problem:
Given that list above (off the top of my head) how the fuck do we have such a hegemonised game of the year across so many outlets? Outlets write what they think people want to hear to keep their readership.

Last edited:
Taking like a personal investment in what game wins GOTY is just weird.

On one side there's people like you desperate for it to win to prove it's a good game

You're assuming way too much. Desperation would be for MTV Brazil to give the award to another game, and me make a thread to argue it should have gone to TLOU Part II. I simply made the thread to report the news, with my take, and opened discussion, just like you do with the threads you make - of which I've had my reservations at times in how you frame them (but I prefer more often than not to keep that to myself). Now if you're expecting something else, that is, as I said to Juan, a you problem.

There is obviously a lot of games out there in contention this year, not the least Final Fantasy VII R, a darling in many people's eyes. If the impression is that the outlets have TLOU Part II shoehorned to be GOTY, maybe it has to do with the fact that the game is pure quality, top to bottom, from arguably, the best studio in the industry, and this game didn't fail to deliver in that aspect. It's a great game.The story is indeed divisive for some, but objectively, at least to me, the game is the definition of quality and a great example of the medium. Perhaps you should play it earlier to see if the buzz is indeed unfounded. In that sense it's no different than the hype driving behind games like Cyberpunk (goodwill and reputation from the Witcher 3 carrying over). With Naughty Dog however, the pedigree extends for far longer, and has been way more consistent. To expect a different treatment or mood is actually the opposite of what would be deemed normal.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
You're assuming way too much. Desperation would be for MTV Brazil to give the award to another game, and me make a thread to argue it should have gone to TLOU Part II. I simply made the thread to report the news, with my take, and opened discussion, just like you do with the threads you make - of which I've had my reservations at times in how you frame them (but I prefer more often than not to keep that to myself). Now if you're expecting something else, that is, as I said to Juan, a you problem.

tenor.gif

With those wanky poll categories? Who the fuck are you hoping to convince?

Top Bottom