• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU II listed on bestbuy as 'including next gen upgrade'

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-la...ation-4/6255399.p?skuId=6255399&intl=nosplash
Archived: https://web.archive.org/web/2020112...ation-4/6255399.p?skuId=6255399&intl=nosplash

aWfE4x.jpg

Last edited:

vkbest

Its clear, than Horizon, TLOU2, Death Stranding and probably Bloodborne are not getting patches because they will release a remaster or upgrade. I hope they will not charge to the owners of original game like they did with Spiderman remaster

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I looked through BestBuy games for PS4 and here's a list.

Includes Next-gen upgrade
Ghost of Tsushima (Patch was already released)
Last of Us Part II
Borderlands 3 (confirmed)
Avengers (confirmed)
Mortal Kombat 11 (confirmed)
Witcher 3 (Confirmed)
Spider-Man: MM (confirmed)
Watchdogs Legion (confirmed)
Assassins Creed Valhalla (confirmed)
NBA 2K21 (Confirmed ?)
Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Confirmed)

Enhanced for next-gen consoles
Days Gone (Patch was already released)
MediEvil
Concrete Genie
Horizon Zero Dawn
Bloodborne
Last of Us Remastered
God of War III Remastered
Ratchet & Clank
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Uncharted 4
Until Dawn
Uncharted Collection
God of War
Spider-Man
Nioh
Nioh 2 (Confirmed)
Death Stranding
Doom Eternal (confirmed)
MLB The Show 20
Little Big Planet 3
Predator

No Label

VR Worlds
Dreams
Final Fantasy VII Remake (Rumored to be a paid remaster)
Sekiro
Iron Man VR
Red Dead Redemption 2
Kingdom hearts II
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
The Outer Worlds
Cyberpunk 2077 (confirmed to receive a patch)

Seems like the games labeled "Includes Next-gen upgrade" are the ones likely to receive free upgrade patches.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Its clear, than Horizon, TLOU2, Death Stranding and probably Bloodborne are not getting patches because they will release a remaster or upgrade. I hope they will not charge to the owners of original game like they did with Spiderman remaster
They didn't charge anyone. Those who want the minimal upgrades that BC offers still get that with their PS4 version. Those who want a proper upgrade with next-gen features do have to pay for all of that effort.

Hakiroto

Final Fantasy VII Remake (Rumored to be a paid remaster)

Out of interest, do you have a source for that rumour? I've held off playing it all year and now that I have a PS5 I'd love to give it a go but I'd be fine waiting a bit longer if there's potentially an update. Thanks for sharing that list, by the way.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Eventhough, the likelihood of me ever playing it again, is virtually non-existent. I did put the game on and saw that they added in a grain remover. That made the image look much better. It does need an unlocked framerate though.

Ten_Fold

Still will pass, just not a fan of the story direction, an the gameplay isn’t really impressive. Still it’s cool seeing some games will get a free upgrade, I thought they was gonna do a $40 dollar upgrade or something.

BluRayHiDef

Banned

Am I experiencing the placebo effect? I've been playing Horizon Zero Dawn on my PlayStation 5 and it seems to look sharper and to run at a higher frame rate in both resolution mode and performance mode.

dave_d

So it isn't actually upgraded? I bought it over the weekend because I thought that's what they were doing instead of an upgraded version. Guess I'll wait before opening it and maybe return it. If a better version comes out fine and if not eventually get the PS4 version.

vkbest

They didn't charge anyone. Those who want the minimal upgrades that BC offers still get that with their PS4 version. Those who want a proper upgrade with next-gen features do have to pay for all of that effort.

If you only want 60fps on Spiderman remaster, the image settings drops to PS4 pro settings, so is not a proper upgrade, so the original version with a unlock patch would be almost identical results

Last edited:
A lot of these recent releases are so late into the generation there is probably not much of a case to make to rerelease them on PS5. It would cost a lot and wouldn’t be an enormous jump up from the Pro besides loading times.

Lots of people will say TLOU was remastered on PS4 even though it launched at the end of the generation, but the PS3 didn’t do so well and there was no backwards compatibility on PS4 so it was the only way to get that game out to a wider audience.

Allforce

The notion that this WONT get an upgrade is ludicrous. It's one of their best-selling titles of all time, they're going to push this as a definitive experience on PS5 with an updated version.

The fact it's not included in their "PS PLUS COLLECTION" pretty much seals the deal. They want people to purchase the game who missed it on PS4.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Includes Next-gen upgrade
Ghost of Tsushima (Patch was already released)

Ghosts of Tsushima does not have a "next-gen upgrade."

It's a PS4 game that is written to detect the PS5 and offer better settings.

That's the extent of what BC patches do on PS4 games on PS5...

Kuranghi

Hopefully we get same res as PS4 Pro@60 AND 4K30 for those that want that. I think 4K60 might be optimistic for this game, and although GoW 1.00 version on PS5 begs to differ I have a feeling model detail and general effects (Especially transparency effects from smoke and the fungo-zambies exploding) quality is a bit higher in TLOU2 than GoW though.

Hopefully we get same res as PS4 Pro@60 AND 4K30 for those that want that. I think 4K60 might be optimistic for this game, and although GoW 1.00 version on PS5 begs to differ I have a feeling model detail and general effects (Especially transparency effects from smoke and the fungo-zambies exploding) quality is a bit higher in TLOU2 than GoW though.

Yeah, I’m interested to see how it pans out. Maybe not 4K/60 but I bet it could get close.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ghosts of Tsushima does not have a "next-gen upgrade."

It's a PS4 game that is written to detect the PS5 and offer better settings.

That's the extent of what BC patches do on PS4 games on PS5...

It does.

60fps is an upgrade over previous gen.

Kuranghi

Yeah, I’m interested to see how it pans out. Maybe not 4K/60 but I bet it could get close.

Yeah definitely, 1800p60 with some nice reconstruction will look amazing anyway since the game is what 1440p on Pro and it looks super clean. The game is supposed to be very filmic as well so maybe pin sharp IQ isn't the best fit for it anyway.

IntentionalPun

It does.

60fps is an upgrade over previous gen.
It's a BC patch.

"Next-gen upgrade" should be a term used for actual PS5 versions of games.

I'm not saying it's not an improved experience; I'm saying it's incredibly confusing if we don't describe things differently that are.. different.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's a BC patch.

"Next-gen upgrade" should be a term used for actual PS5 versions of games.

I'm not saying it's not an improved experience; I'm saying it's incredibly confusing if we don't describe things differently that are.. different.

It's a next gen upgrade. There's no need to debate this. Developers are using this term and you see to be one of the few people who are saying it's wrong.

IntentionalPun

It's a next gen upgrade. There's no need to debate this. Developers are using this term and you see to be one of the few people who are saying it's wrong.
Developers are not calling it a next gen upgrade.

It's backwards compatibility with Game Boost. Some games have better improvements over others with Game Boost, some of these accomplished it by patching the PS4 version... it's still a PS4 game running in backwards compatibility.

There are games that have improvements via Game Boost that are also planning actual "Next Gen Upgrades" like Cyberpunk. The point is we should call BC games BC because otherwise that becomes incredibly confusing.

BC w/ Game Boost is awesome.. none of what I'm saying is discounting that, but what exactly are we going to call actual PS5 patches/upgrades if people keep referring to BC like that? lol

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Developers are not calling it a next gen upgrade.

It's backwards compatibility with Game Boost. Some games have better improvements over others with Game Boost, some of these accomplished it by patching the PS4 version... it's still a PS4 game running in backwards compatibility.

There are games that have improvements via Game Boost that are also planning actual "Next Gen Upgrades" like Cyberpunk. The point is we should call BC games BC because otherwise that becomes incredibly confusing.

BC w/ Game Boost is awesome.. none of what I'm saying is discounting that, but what exactly are we going to call actual PS5 patches/upgrades if people keep referring to BC like that? lol

"Same games with better improvements"

That's called an upgrade.

Upgrade
raise (something) to a higher standard, in particular improve (equipment or machinery) by adding or replacing components.

"Upgrade"

mortal-kombat-11-will-upgrade-to-ps5-xbox-series-for-free-with-cross-gen-play-details.jpg

These "upgrades" are only compatible for next gen consoles, which is why its an next gen upgrade. You're wrong. Period. You're going on mute because you're ignoring clear evidence.

IntentionalPun

Thanks for demonstrating my point for me I guess?

MK11 actually has a PS5 version.. an actual next-gen version of the game...

Which was my entire point; not that the games aren't upgraded.. that we should not call them a "next-gen upgrade" because it's not a next-gen version of the game.

Like I give 2 fucking shits if you pretend to put me on ignore. Enjoy reading this sentence and fuming some more lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom