• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU 2 fell off the PS Store Top 20 charts for September

LockeKappa

Neo Member
Lol, the TLJ argument all over again. People weren't saying that movie flopped, either. It just greatly underperformed. Didn't stop the defenders using straw man arguments, making up that everyone critical of the film were saying it was a flop.

It made 1.3billion. Imagine calling a top 10 grossing film ever a flop. I'd hardly call that an underperformance. I'm not going to get into discussing Star Wars tho, as I honestly couldnt care about the series past the first 3.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

Horizon flopped too. It was out the top 20 after 3 months

That's a bad example

• Horizon: Zero Dawn * (Sony) - Best Guerrilla debut ever, selling twice as much as their second highest debut, Killzone 2. That should put it around 648K.
So let's say it did 1.8 first month WW, which is bolderdash because it was nowhere near close that, but hey.

Out.
Most of the sales were free gifts in the bundle.

LockeKappa

Neo Member
That's a bad example

• Horizon: Zero Dawn * (Sony) - Best Guerrilla debut ever, selling twice as much as their second highest debut, Killzone 2. That should put it around 648K.
So let's say it did 1.8 first month WW, which is bolderdash because it was nowhere near close that, but hey.

Out.
Most of the sales were free gifts in the bundle.

I think he's being facetious.

It made 1.3billion. Imagine calling a top 10 grossing film ever a flop. I'd hardly call that an underperformance. I'm not going to get into discussing Star Wars tho, as I honestly couldnt care about the series past the first 3.

And yet you couldn't stop yourself from replying. So you must care about TLJ enough to defend it. And yes, when a movie is predicted to do $1.8B easily, then $1.6B after a big 2nd weekend drop, $1.3B is it underperforming big time. Instead of being and staying #6 for top grossing films for all time, it barely cracked the Top 10 and was quickly pushed down to #14 within a couple of years.

More importantly, it hurt the franchise and the trilogy, with merch sales dropping incredibly and the 3rd installment, which usually does better for SW trilogies, performing even worse. Disney said it was done with SW trilogies, even though before they had 2 in the works.

Same goes for TLOU2. Just like TLJ, it opened big, but didn't have good legs after a few weeks. Both underperformed. TLOU2 only did 34K in its 2nd full month in NA. I bet GoT beats that in Sept NPD. And I highly doubt it reaches the 10M TLOU did on a much smaller install base and with much less hype.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And yet you couldn't stop yourself from replying. So you must care about TLJ enough to defend it. And yes, when a movie is predicted to do $1.8B easily, then $1.6B after a big 2nd weekend drop, $1.3B is it underperforming big time. Instead of being and staying #6 for top grossing films for all time, it barely cracked the Top 10 and was quickly pushed down to #14 within a couple of years.

More importantly, it hurt the franchise and the trilogy, with merch sales dropping incredibly and the 3rd installment, which usually does better for SW trilogies, performing even worse. Disney said it was done with SW trilogies, even though before they had 2 in the works.

Same goes for TLOU2. Just like TLJ, it opened big, but didn't have good legs after a few weeks. Both underperformed. TLOU2 only did 34K in its 2nd full month in NA. I bet GoT beats that in Sept NPD. And I highly doubt it reaches the 10M TLOU did on a much smaller install base and with much less hype.

It has already been stated that it was around 34k in physical sales only, but you keep repeating the same misinformation.

Do you know how many sales UC4 and others made after dropping out of the top 10 in sales on NPD?

Also, do you have proof that it underperformed?

Klayzer

It has already been stated that it was around 34k in physical sales only, but you keep repeating the same misinformation.

Do you know how many sales UC4 and others made after dropping out of the top 10 in sales on NPD?

No proof. But Im going to repeat 34,000 time after time for extra butthurt effect.

Oh, I'm so sorry. It did what... probably 50K-60K with digital? Wow. The insider themselves said it's not doing well. Not sure why that's so hard to understand. I still bet GoT outperforms it's 3rd month.

LockeKappa

Neo Member

Stop myself from replying? I'm merely making a comparison between your flawed logic against TLOU by applying the same logic to TLJ. Again, seriously could not care about star wars in the slightest. I just find it hilarious people will find ANY way to spin a narrative.

Stop myself from replying? I'm merely making a comparison between your flawed logic against TLOU by applying the same logic to TLJ. Again, seriously could not care about star wars in the slightest. I just find it hilarious people will find ANY way to spin a narrative.

The only ones spinning are those who look at just the first few weeks, then ignore poor legs and the other ramifications that underperforming brings. But, hey, you guys continue living in the first weeks of release. I'll enjoy the present. 🤣

Rippa

This thread makes me want to boot it back up and go for the platinum.

I think I might just do that.

thanks!

Switch_Hitter

Neo Member
well deserved. The Last of Us 2 went from being in my top 3 most anticipated games (Death Stranding, Red Dead 2, TLOU2 and if the first two didn't exist, I would've gotten a PS4 anyway just for TLOU2) to now I have no desire to play the game after becoming privy to what the leaks contained.

sol_bad

Lol, the TLJ argument all over again. People weren't saying that movie flopped, either. It just greatly underperformed. Didn't stop the defenders using straw man arguments, making up that everyone critical of the film were saying it was a flop.

It didn't under perform, The Force Awakens simply over performed.
Look at all 11 Star Wars films and you'll see that they all made similar money. The only Exceptions are A New Hope, The Force Awakens and Solo.

Shmunter

well deserved. The Last of Us 2 went from being in my top 3 most anticipated games (Death Stranding, Red Dead 2, TLOU2 and if the first two didn't exist, I would've gotten a PS4 anyway just for TLOU2) to now I have no desire to play the game after becoming privy to what the leaks contained.
I believe the leaks were lying? Not sure, never looked into them, but the game is not as was presented apparently.

I believe the leaks were lying? Not sure, never looked into them, but the game is not as was presented apparently.

Depends on the leaks, some leaks were actual video footage from the game but normally divorced from context (as in you don't even get the full scene nevermind surrounding scenes) or in another language. The leaks from places like 4Chan trying to summarize the story were largely wrong.

LockeKappa

Neo Member
The only ones spinning are those who look at just the first few weeks, then ignore poor legs and the other ramifications that underperforming brings. But, hey, you guys continue living in the first weeks of release. I'll enjoy the present. 🤣

Except those first few weeks are record breaking. So yes, they matter in the total scheme of things.

LockeKappa

Neo Member
It didn't under perform, The Force Awakens simply over performed.
Look at all 11 Star Wars films and you'll see that they all made similar money. The only Exceptions are A New Hope, The Force Awakens and Solo.

Exactly, why would people predict that TLJ would make only 200m less than The Force Awakens. TFA was a star wars movie after there hadnt been one for an entire decade, of course it would be huge.

EDMIX

Ellie being gay didn’t become a thing til the DLC, and there weren’t that many people upset by it. Besides I’m talking about the vanilla TLOU experience. I’m digging my heels in and saying the vast majority of people enjoyed that game, and even if that weren’t the case, there were far, faaar more people who enjoyed it than Part 2.

I get what you guys are saying, but at the end of the day the ultimate victory is to not compromise your vision, and simultaneously create something that most people enjoy. That’s the best case scenario for a writer.

Last time I saw a writer give zero fucks about the fans and completely did what he wanted was The Last Jedi. It ended up damaging the brand and the trilogy.

Doesn't really matter, its still part of the first game. So those same folks triggered over that, would be triggered over the sequel and any games like it. So far more people are able to enjoy The Last Of Us 1 as its had 6 years to move 20 million units.... by default it will have more people who played it until such a time where the sequel even reaches the rest of the install base....

I get what you guys are saying, but at the end of the day the ultimate victory is to not compromise your vision, and simultaneously create something that most people enjoy.

Well you don't know "most people" who played to game to tell and no one can create anything that "most people enjoy", you will always have folks that get triggered by shit. The focus should always be to not compromise your vision...thats it. You can't control how folks feel, anyone can get triggered over anything. We have people out here crying over the diameter of people's fucking chins for god sakes.

Last time I saw a writer give zero fucks about the fans and completely did what he wanted was The Last Jedi. It ended up damaging the brand and the trilogy.

Soooooooooo I think maybe you folks exaggerate waaaaaaaay too much and act melodramatic when ever something triggers you. My god sir, its not that serious.

thismeinteil thismeinteil "Receipts, please." ??? The Last Of Us 2 moved 4 million PHYSICAL units in 3 days, it moved 2.8 million downloads on PSN the month of June...its withing reason that the game is clear past 7 million as it was at that within a few days.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...record_with_2_8_million_digital_sales_in_june

So....what can I say, prepare for a new goal post or? I mean...you are simply going to find another thing to point at to speak negatively about that title as I find most on here that are, don't even want to look at the data regarding this game. Its why you didn't know this information. You don't want to know it... So its clear this simply isn't about a objective number as you don't see me in the Call Of Duty threads or Madden threads debating a fucking number....

Last edited:

docbot

Banned
whatever - this game is so dope to play, hate on if you like, but you're missing out. there are a few shoot out sequences/levels that already feel like next-gen

Top Bottom