• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiresome gaming tropes that never die

Cookie cutter gaming plots and features that never change

• Save the princess, girlfriend, wife

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • The final boss is either a dragon or demon dude. Or Russian, Nazi or Middle Eastern oppressors

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • The final boss isn't even the hardest boss in the game

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Bosses are big, dumb and strong, instead of resembling you for a change: small, crafty, many weapons

• The main hero is either a teenager or a US/UK solider. In RPG/adventure games, probably a human

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Character select: AR gun/sworder, LMG/hammer dude, sniper/archer, healer/medic

• Male characters are big and brawny. Female characters are thin, super fast and healer class

• Black characters are tanks with tough guy attitude and carries a big gun

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Lots of White and Asian characters. Not many Blacks. Almost no Latinos or Indians

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • You can blow up a tank with standard weapons, but opening a door needs a keycard or hacking

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • The best weapon in the game will eventually be a magic sword

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Best damage spells order = Lightning (best) > Fire > Ice > Poison (useless most of the time)

• When convenient. There's a red barrel of flammable liquid nearby to take out enemies

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • The starting level in games is sunny, green grass and trees. Later levels are fire, snow and desert

• In game trailers, it ends with a big enemy zoomed into its head and it screams super loud

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • In military games and trailers, at some point a heli with get shot down spiraling to a giant crash

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other

• Total voters

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
(Multi-vote. Pick as many you agree with)

Here's some stuff I've seen in gaming for 40 years. Gaming since the 80s.

Check as many as you want and add more you've noticed.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Since this is in the off-topic section for now, I'd like to nominate when people fake-play video games in movies and TV:

tumblr_mo998bZOyK1ruo577o1_r1_500.gif

200.gif

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I would really like for final bosses to be difficult. Even in games with other challenging bosses, it's so common for the final fight to be crazy easy. Maybe it's sometimes done to manage the pacing of the finale? Still sucks, makes the finale weak.

One thing I don't like is when the critical path is piss easy compared to all the side content. I know why it's done, but I don't like it. It makes the main story so much less interesting to play.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Pretty great thread idea. I think it's fit more for the Gaming forum though. I can't really choose because tropes fit and I don't mind story writers for games retelling the same tale.

Zannegan

I don't care about most of the storytelling tropes. Then again, I think the best videogame stories are the least obtrustive, and most that are praised for their writing are just heavy-handed, trope-y schlock, so what do I know?

A world where you can't possibly open a door without a keycard when you've got a rocket launcher in your back pocket or step over an ankle-high chain when you can scale cliff-faces like a monkey? That's infuriating.

LMJ

So here's my thoughts on most of these
  • Save the princess, girlfriend, wife
  • This "trope" extends beyond video games, it's as old as time
  • The final boss is either a dragon or demon dude. Or Russian, Nazi or Middle Eastern oppressors
  • I mean yeah? Why wouldn't the final boss be something grand...it's a game, also in regards to "evil" foreigners...WW2/Cold War/Islamic terrorists...tah dah lol
  • The final boss isn't even the hardest boss in the game
  • Not a trope, just bad design and subjectivity (with the exception of one hit final bosses (ALA Hulk Snes)
  • Bosses are big, dumb and strong, instead of resembling you for a change: small, crafty, many weapons
  • Again would you prefer an epic level end on a whimper, or a bang
  • The main hero is either a teenager or a US/UK solider. In RPG/adventure games, probably a human
  • I'm sensing a distaste for the Western world here lol I kid, games were all over the place with age, and older games were mostly Japanese (home of OG devs)
  • Male characters are big and brawny. Female characters are thin, super fast and healer class
  • I mean yeah lol, games a form of escapism, it's the same reason Hollywood casts pretty actors in blockbusters ;)
  • Black characters are tanks with tough guy attitude and carries a big gun
  • I mean in Gears of War and other Bro shooters maybe, but this is changing...hardly a trope as blacks didn't use to be characters much though
  • Lots of White and Asian characters. Not many Blacks. Almost no Latinos or Indians
  • Again this is changing, and hardly a trope as they really weren't characters for so long, Farcry 6 is Latino AND female if that helps
  • You can blow up a tank with standard weapons, but opening a door needs a keycard or hacking
  • Most games you can't take down a tank without something that goes boom, I mean hell shooters maybe
  • The best weapon in the game will eventually be a magic sword
  • That IS Zeldas shtick ;) but as MANY games don't feature swords...no lol
  • When convenient. There's a red barrel of flammable liquid nearby to take out enemies
  • This is a regional thing, same as we in the US always have medpacks green, we associate red with fire, but yes I'll give you this one
  • The starting level in games is sunny, green grass and trees. Later levels are fire, snow and desert
  • Called the journy, you have to start easy (grass) then travel far and wide to accomplish your goal, also samey levels are boring...got to mix it up
  • In game trailers, it ends with a big enemy zoomed into its head and it screams super loud
  • Plenty of different types of trailers, but yeah it's to show an "imminent threat" but it is overused
  • In military games and trailers, at some point a heli with get shot down spiraling to a giant crash
  • THANK YOU lol Man they overplay this one don't they

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
"Badass" woman protag (Skinny, arrogant, stronger than people twice her size, don't need no man, side of her head shaved like she had brain surgery).

Hopefully it eventually dies, like the Bald Marine trope did.

killatopak

Screen getting covered in red filters and blood splotches when health is low.

I mean it’s fine for immersion but most of the time it just reduces visibility.

protonion

Every stealth section:

Enemies chat, "Everyone be alert! He is here!"

Proceed to turn their backs on the only entry point and walk slowly toward different directions.

Last edited:
"Badass" woman protag (Skinny, arrogant, stronger than people twice her size, don't need no man, side of her head shaved like she had brain surgery).

Hopefully it eventually dies, like the Bald Marine trope did.
It never ends, does it? It has become laughable now, just look at Far Cry 6 😂

Top Bottom