• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Tin foil hat on* If there is a Switch Pro wouldnt Metroid Prime 4 from Retro be the perfect thing to show it off?

A couple of things. Releasing MP4 when the console is dying seems like a poor choice as it wont get much sales and wont be ever green. But is Metroid Prime an ever green title?

Second Retro is a relatively high end studio that takes good advantage of the console tech they are dealing with. If anyone can sell a Switch Pro based on visuals, it would be Retro.

Comments from insiders who have said a switch pro is coming:

Jeff Grubb

Mat Piscatella(unsure but still thinks)

The people who backtracked

Matthew Kanterman

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The real tin foil hat people are those who don't think a switch pro is coming at all and act like they are threatened by the very idea of a such of system as if its existence will make their current switches explode the 'aggression' towards rumors real or fake is something I don't really understand!

Impotaku

lol insiders, about as fucking reliable as asking a drunk on the street.

The real tin foil hat people are those who don't think a switch pro is coming at all and act like they are threatened by the very idea of a such of system as if its existence will make their current switches explode the 'aggression' towards rumors real or fake is something I don't really understand!
when nintendo themselves announce anything then i might pay attention. Some random insider nobody spouting stuff for attention yeah, fuck off with that noise.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

I want to know why people expect a Switch Pro. It makes no sense from Nintendo's perspective. They have not been going after power and graphics for *checks watch* 15 years now. The vast majority of people that are buying the Switch now are not necessarily going to have a desire for an upgraded version that plays the same games with more shiny. Going through the hassle of doing R&D on a souped up Switch, setting up a separate production line for it, and advertising it seems like like a waste of time for Ninty when they are currently making money hand over fist. The return on investment would be miniscule. Only enthusiasts on forums care about 4K/DLSS on Switch.

So is the Switch Pro rumor mill just wishing or do you have some insight that I do not?

Last edited:
I want to know why people expect a Switch Pro. It makes no sense from Nintendo's perspective. They have not been going after power and graphics for *checks watch* 15 years now. The vast majority of people that are buying the Switch now are not necessarily going to have a desire for an upgraded version that plays the same games with more shiny. Going through the hassle of doing R&D on a souped up Switch, setting up a separate production line for it, and advertising it seems like like a waste of time for Ninty when they are currently making money hand over fist. The return on investment would be miniscule. Only enthusiasts on forums care about 4K/DLSS on Switch.

So is the Switch Pro rumor mill just wishing or do you have some insight that I do not?

Because of multiple reasons. There is now a very perceptible difference in graphics between the consoles and the Switch. It wasnt the case with the PS4 and XBO. You can get away with stuff like BotW as "acceptable". With the PS5 and XSX, the difference is the same as Wii vs PS3 and 360 but no gimmicky games or gimmick to sell it.

The chipset being used in the switch is costly and not longer being made. NVidia switched producers for the tech. To make Switch with the same chips costs the same as using an advanced chip because of how much silicon it uses to make the Tegra X1 now because of the silicon shortage.

The insiders in question have been more right than wrong. Mat is above reproach as the NPD guy. Jeff Grubbs track record is pretty high with Nintendo stuff.

Nintendo have been heavy in RD for the past few years, that much has been documented. It wouldnt be just for Oled.

This revision is the same chipset as the original and lacks lot of modern conveniences like being able to use a bluetooth headset.

Nintendo have been very interested in slow transitions as much as the other console manufacturers. Because the huge drop off in sales every generation isnt good ever.

odhiex

Yeah, you should not have listened so much from INSIDERS.
They can leak/post/write whatever info that they might have heard from somebody (undisclosed) to social media, but that doesn't mean it will be true. They might not lie to you, but shit can change any time. I have learnt this many years ago from the E3 leaks.

Astral Dog

Not sure about Pro.. .

But i bet Breath of the Wild 2, Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 will be popular cross generation titles with next gen Switch 2, they are coming late into the Switch life.by the time they are released alot of things could happen.cross gen is a safe bet

RCU005

The Switch Pro is going to exist IF Nintendo wants to extend the lifespan of the Switch brand. They have released a new console every 5 years, so who knows what's in their plans today.

Still, by the time a Switch Pro comes out, the games releasing in both the PS5 and XSX will keep the disparity as big as it is now between Switch and PS4/XBO

SJRB

Gold Member
giphy-downsized-large.gif

There is no "Switch Pro", dude.

Fuck "insiders" yet again.

Doczu

By the time Switch "Pro" could launch in 2022 it could be just the next Switch, with full backwards compat and a year or two crossplatform games. It'll be 5 years after launch, a good run for the original hardware and more or less in line with generation gaps for Nintendo.

Bragr

Banned
There is more credibility in Bob Lazar's UFO stories than this Switch 4K shit, how are you guys still falling for this?

The Skull

I assume there won't be a pro but a switch successor based on their R&D report. Switch 2 holiday 2022 with BOTW2 and MP4 would be great.

yurinka

Nintendo said they plan to keep alive Switch for another 4 years or so. Which means their next gen console will be released in 2-3 years. So no, they won't release another 'Pro' revision next year or so to keep it for a year or so.

After this Switch XL their next console will be a next gen console (I assume a more powerful hybrid with BC with 4K on tv and 1440p screen) with exclusive games that won't run on Switch.

Stop posting Jeff Grubb. He's disgusting and isn't a reliable source of information. "Insiders" lol.
This. I think it's time to ban Jeff Grubb as source.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
The Blue Box thread is leaking.

Nintendo are the most calculated money grubbers in the biz now. They probably have done the research on what the longest game drought they can do before consumers(even the most staunch apologists) dissent.

Nintendo is more likely to have an entire new generation of system before another weak half-step.

Metroid Prime 4 will probably be cross-gen and that pisses me off because it's one of the prime reasons I bought a Switch. You know what though? Fuck it, I'm out I don't care what MP4 is anymore.

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
I can’t wait for the Switch Blue model upgrade that offers support for wireless audio.

Nintendo are milking like fuck here. The worst I’ve ever seen from them. Saying that the OLED model in white is pretty.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

I think its a combo of rumors and the fact that Nintendo have done hardware upgrades of most of their handheld systems

Reactions: TLZ
Nintendo won't do a hardware upgrade before having to drop the price of the original hardware. Until we see the first price drop there's no reason to expect a Switch Pro.

The Switch is still selling as fast as they can make them with no price drops. Momentum isn't slowing and the perfect time for an upgrade would be when momentum slows. With some big games on the horizon and a very strong evergreen library of games going back to launch they don't need to upgrade. The new screen is the equivalent of a 3DS to 3DSxl upgrade. Not a big enough change to make casual players repurchase the system but a nice feature for new players and the guys that always own everything.

I'm guessing there will be an entirely new model Switch (Switch 2, Super Switch, SwitchU, whatever they call it) in 2-3 years but no pro model between now and then. I also think the Switch 2 will be a 1080p machine both in handheld and docked because 4K is a meme resolution for console hardware, especially for a portable console. Hopefully it makes good use of DLSS too.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
And here's the worst part of this Switch OLED. It hasn't stopped the Pro rumors. Here's to another year of Switch Pro speculation.
As far as I am concerned it is the Switch Pro, a slightly improved switch.

The only thing that will come next, baring a switch OLED Lite, is the next gen platform.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Idk but a slick new Metroid Prime on a slick new Nintendo console, with BOTW 2, and maybe a new Mario just sounds like gaming Nirvana.

StormCell

And here's the worst part of this Switch OLED. It hasn't stopped the Pro rumors. Here's to another year of Switch Pro speculation.

Well you won't be hearing about it from me. Of course, I doubt very much I will have much to talk about regarding the Switch until Pokemon this holiday.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think Nintendo's plans have shifted due to silicon shortage, lack of games, or both, and that OLED is a stop gap, whether to a Pro next year or to an entirely new system further out.

I think the kind of chipset and features that were being discussed could make this system more of a Switch 2 than a Pro, to be honest, and I think Nintendo would be smart to treat it like one with some software that really takes advantage. That could take more time.

Of course knowing Nintendo they're gonna do something entirely left field that isn't like Switch at all.

Because of multiple reasons. There is now a very perceptible difference in graphics between the consoles and the Switch. It wasnt the case with the PS4 and XBO. You can get away with stuff like BotW as "acceptable". With the PS5 and XSX, the difference is the same as Wii vs PS3 and 360 but no gimmicky games or gimmick to sell it.

The chipset being used in the switch is costly and not longer being made. NVidia switched producers for the tech. To make Switch with the same chips costs the same as using an advanced chip because of how much silicon it uses to make the Tegra X1 now because of the silicon shortage.

The insiders in question have been more right than wrong. Mat is above reproach as the NPD guy. Jeff Grubbs track record is pretty high with Nintendo stuff.

Nintendo have been heavy in RD for the past few years, that much has been documented. It wouldnt be just for Oled.

This revision is the same chipset as the original and lacks lot of modern conveniences like being able to use a bluetooth headset.

Nintendo have been very interested in slow transitions as much as the other console manufacturers. Because the huge drop off in sales every generation isnt good ever.
Switch vs ps5 is actually much bigger than 360 vs. Wii (in graphics, not toolset) so they are probably holding games back for the switch 2 at this point. And yeah, prime and bayo are suspect titles.

But I don’t think there will be a pro. There won’t be. It would be a misstep to launch the oled model and soon after a pro.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
No Switch pro imo

whatever chip they're working on with nvidia, is for a true successor

There were too many rumors for it to be nothing. The OLED and DLSS/4K stuff just got mixed together.

They are def working on a Switch Pro/Switch 2 but now I guess it will be a bit longer until the reveal. Perhaps 2022 with BOTW2

nordique

There were too many rumors for it to be nothing. The OLED and DLSS/4K stuff just got mixed together.

They are def working on a Switch Pro/Switch 2 but now I guess it will be a bit longer until the reveal. Perhaps 2022 with BOTW2
Agree 100% 😎

Jeff grubb has fuck all inside info on sony or Nintendo. Even his xbox info is sketchy. I bet Nintendo's next system will barely be able to do 4k. Insiders will start telling us of a switch 2 pro that can do 4k and comes with vr! they're full of shit

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s not like a “switch pro” would solve everything, PlayStation made one and Sony would tell you straight up it was for sales, to extend the life of the generation. This is the switch’s final run, and the oled will have to quality as Nintendo’s version of a switch pro.

Michael Conor Mic Drop GIF by In Real Life

Top Bottom