• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Rogers / Action Button Nearly 6 Hour Review of Tokimeki Memorial

Valonquar

Tokimemo 1 & 2 are pretty good strategy visual novel simulation anime girl dating games. I actually played through Tokimemo 2 while in college taking Japanese 102. I used a terrible PS1 screen capture card to grab screens and use them to practice translating common Japanese conversations. The games play so much fan service to every video game, and pop culture references. I wrote a mini-FAQ to the 2nd game's childhood section back in the day. There's really not anything else like them. That said I'm sad they remained Japan only games. I think they would have been successful enough to influence other western games. Maybe if that influnce had taken place, the dating elements and writing in western games wouldn't be clumsier than a sex scene in a GRRM novel.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
While it's lamentable that no one has managed to crack the PS1 version (or any version with voice acting) open yet, from what I understand the SNES script is pretty close to the same. I will definitely give this a go.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Ok, so this thing is crazy impressive. They used the MSU-1 "chip" (a spec chip used for expanding ROMs beyond the SNES limit supported in emulation and via FPGA in some flash carts) to add back in CD cutscenes and some voice acting. It's nowhere near the amount of voice acting in the CD versions but it's still extremely cool and if this is the best we've got in English, then it's still pretty great.

Top Bottom