• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiger Woods Signs Long-Term Exclusive Deal With 2K

HeadsUp7Up

I'm conflicted by this. I don't care for 2K anymore with what they put out with the NBA games and microtransaction hell and pay to win model. But I miss Tiger Woods golf from back in the day. Probably going to be a hard pass from me until they prove it's not going to be like NBA 2k.

Last edited:
Cannot wait to pay top dollars to buy vc and increase my golfers stats
As much as I love how good NBA 2k looks and the strides they made in gamelay the micro transactions in that game are probably one of if not the worst in the industry

Hari Seldon

This is the first time 2K dips their toes in pro-golf? Wonder if EA is going to continue theirs..

2k has been producing The Golf Club series of games. I don’t think EA even has a golf game.

I was actually hoping Tiger would go back to EA. The golf clubs games are too hardcore. Putting is fucking rage inducing.

Arkam

2k has been producing The Golf Club series of games. I don’t think EA even has a golf game.

I was actually hoping Tiger would go back to EA. The golf clubs games are too hardcore. Putting is fucking rage inducing.
The real irony is this IS EA’s golf game. Former Tiger PGA Tour producer here. After the abysmal Rory game on ps4/x1, EA dissolved my team at Tiburon and outsourced the next game (‘14) out to this dev team (HB). Game was then canceled by EA execs.... ~year later HB releases their own golf game.... the. What a year later 2k started publishing and now has tiger woods. What a crazy ride this has been.

Vestal

Gold Member
I take it it's not a driving game?
Love the pun.
yGyqlsZ.gif

Stuart360

Nah gameplay is actually very similar to the old Tiger Woods, just slightly harder. Plus they chaned into PGA Tour 2k21 now, and the latest game apparently has been made easier for the mainstream.

There will be side missions where you get to drive from event to event while driving a Genesis at top speed. I heard there will be a lot of twists and turns :messenger_neutral:

Termite

Almost the bigger news is that 2k has actually bought HB Studios.

This kinda scares the shit out of me. "The Golf Club" series of games are basically my favourite games of all time. I thought for sure that 2k would ruin the series, but the first game in the transition from TGC to PGA Tour 2k went better than anyone could have expected - who would have thought they'd make the game HARDER instead of easier, or that microtransactions would be so minimal.

The TGC Tour community is the best gaming community I've ever been a part of. Making it to the European/Elite tour was one of the most enjoyable feats of my gaming life.

But there's no doubt that the TGC series would be dead without 2k, so I can't complain. Here's a sales comparison before and after the 2k takeover I did months ago:

So, unfortunately we don't have any official numbers (that I know of), but what we do have is PS4 player stats from gamestat.com which I understand correlate pretty closely to sales. Yes, that excludes Xbox and PC, but it allows us to see the general difference between the two titles which is what we're interested in as that gap should be consistent between platform.
The Golf Club 2019: Two months after release (the same amount of time as 2k21 has been out now) it had 26k unique players. After only two months we can assume most of these are unique purchasers rather than game sharers or used game purchasers.
PGA Tour 2k21: Two months after release it has... 450k unique players.
Wow. Whatever they paid 2k and the tour for the branding help... it was worth it. Big time. I am shocked at that jump. I thought 3 times more would be good, but this is like 17 times, it's insane.
Note that TGC 2019 ended up with 880k unique players on PS4, so with more time, some price reductions and two huge marketing opportunities with The Masters in November and again in April (even if that tournament isn't in the game) 2k21 could easily sell 2 million or more. It also suggests TGC 2019 had excellent word of mouth.
Bonus comparison:
The Golf Club (First game in the series): 8k after two months. Shows how far they've come, but also how they were struggling to grow the game despite huge leaps in quality and the addition of the PGA Tour license in 2019.
Another bonus comparison:
Rory McIlroy PGA Tour (EA's last game in the Tiger series): 167k after two months. This shows why EA abandoned the genre, and also that HB Studios has built a bigger golf community now than EA had then. Which makes sense, as that game was painfully mediocre while 2k21 is amazing.

So PGA Tour 2k21 has been an enormous success, hence the purchase of the studio. With Tiger on board, this series is about to go stratospheric in comparison to what it was.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

Nah gameplay is actually very similar to the old Tiger Woods, just slightly harder. Plus they chaned into PGA Tour 2k21 now, and the latest game apparently has been made easier for the mainstream.

Ah cool I got 2019 or something when it was on a steam sale. I was watching a youtube guide on how to put and it was not worth even learning. Like Flight Sim Nerd levels. I miss the old casual Tiger Woods golf games haha.

Stuart360

Ah cool I got 2019 or something when it was on a steam sale. I was watching a youtube guide on how to put and it was not worth even learning. Like Flight Sim Nerd levels. I miss the old casual Tiger Woods golf games haha.
Everyone seems to complain about the putting, i mean thats always been the biggest complaint people had with the TGC games. I never had a problem with it, i could still post rugular -15 under rounds. I dont know if its because i used to buy all the TW games every year, and other golf games when they were available, but yeah i found the putting fairly easy. I dont mean that in a big headed sense either, i'm not that kind of person. I use controller by the way on PC, and the sticks really help with judging the power when putting.

Stuart360

EA really fucked up dropping Tiger because of stupid SJW reasons. The TW games sold very well every single year. They drop Tiger, replace with bellend Rory, and yeah the game was a total flop, and they stopped making PGA games and lost the license.
Good one EA.

If I can't drunkenly drive Tiger into a tree I don't want it.

Also let me get Tigers side piece side story action. Let me feel what it's like tricking with half a billion.

Last edited:

Termite

I remember the first time I played The Golf Club, it was with two friends having beers after a round we'd played together.

And we booted up the game and saw that the course we had just played was on the game. So we all played the course, and I shit you not all of us scored 20 over what we had just scored in real life, almost entirely due to the putting. We putted off the greens into bunkers, into lakes, got back onto the green then putted straight off it again. We were in stitches laughing.

For one of my friends that made the game bullshit. But for me, I loved it - I loved the idea that the game could be harder than the real thing, whereas typically it's the total opposite - and once I had learned the putting stroke it was about as much fun as you can have with a video game. And while TGC2 was a disappointment, it has only gotten better from there.

Best of all, the easy options have gotten easier and easier while the harder modes have gotten harder and harder. So everyone wins. Easy mode now plays much like Tiger back in the day, and Legend mode is as sim as ever - more so even.

Top Bottom