• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Through a modern perespective: which is the WORST of the big 3's original console efforts and why? (woo-ha i got you all in check)

Which is the worst?

• NES

Votes: 36 16.8%
  • PS1

Votes: 33 15.4%
  • Xbox

Votes: 145 67.8%

• Total voters

[Sigma]

EmRsZsm.png

This poll is rigged :messenger_angry:
You-will-face-the-truth.gif

Loved all 3 but the Xbox pales in comparison to the PS1 and NES.

Those 2 changed gaming history.
You said it, thread closed.
Xbox had less overall classic software, but that was also a side effect of it's timing and the maturity of the market.

All three systems were great. NES was the NES, nothing more even needs to be said. The PSX was during a time of explosive creativity in the industry. The Xbox bringing networking to consoles felt so awesome at the time. All great systems and great memories.
1 - the xbox did not bring networking to consoles, this is about as old as consoles themselves.

2 - The PS2 had the upper hand in its generation in terms of library, just like the PS1 (PS3 vs 360 is very open to debate)... the OG xbox has a great library, but it's not the king of its gen in that regard.

However, it was (as far as I know) the first console that had a built-in HDD, its GPU was very impressive for the time, and pretty much all multi-platform titles of this gen have the best console version on the og xbox.

The pool is stupid, none of these consoles is "bad", and despite having grown with the NES and believing it changed gaming more than any other console... I'd pick the PS1 or xbox over it any day of the week.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

1 - the xbox did not bring networking to consoles, this is about as old as consoles themselves.

2 - The PS2 had the upper hand in its generation in terms of library, just like the PS1 (PS3 vs 360 is very open to debate)... the OG xbox has a great library, but it's not the king of its gen in that regard.

However, it was (as far as I know) the first console that had a built-in HDD, its GPU was very impressive for the time, and pretty much all multi-platform titles of this gen have the best console version on the og xbox.

The pool is stupid, none of these consoles is "bad", and despite having grown with the NES and believing it changed gaming more than any other console... I'd pick the PS1 or xbox over it any day of the week.
Xbox helped popularize online on consoles. Before that it was hit and miss online gaming on Dreamcast, PS2 and any other console that did it.

It's like saying modern systems doing digital downloads shouldnt be credited with online marketplaces because Intellivision had PlayCable in 1982 which allowed gamers to download games for $20/mth from their cable company.

Dr Bass

Ok sure, you could have bought a bunch of accessories like the dreamcast ethernet adapter, and who knows whatever else existed before that BUT ...

Microsoft absolutely made it available first in a consumer friendly way with Xbox Live where it was integrated into every system that was sold. That matters. I think suggesting otherwise is being fairly pedantic.

Unknown?

So did Xbox though....

Xbox Live, internal storage, Halo defined how console shooters would be played for every generation onward

I dont think that's anything to sneeze at
Nah Sega had online and so did PS2. Live just gave you universal names but wasn't worth the price. GoldenEye and Aliens on PS1 did what Halo did, it's just Halo had lots of marketing money.

Xbox helped popularize online on consoles. Before that it was hit and miss online gaming on Dreamcast, PS2 and any other console that did it.

It's like saying modern systems doing digital downloads shouldnt be credited with online marketplaces because Intellivision had PlayCable in 1982 which allowed gamers to download games for $20/mth from their cable company.
Writing did not exist before internet because the letters had to be printed on paper? is that how it works? Nobody ever searched internet until Google existed? The first car was the model T? Was there 3D before the FS chip?
Ok sure, you could have bought a bunch of accessories like the dreamcast ethernet adapter, and who knows whatever else existed before that BUT ...

Microsoft absolutely made it available first in a consumer friendly way with Xbox Live where it was integrated into every system that was sold. That matters. I think suggesting otherwise is being fairly pedantic.
I think that implying that MS "invented" something that existed before is pedantic. Paying for Live Gold made online play possible?

Does Halo CE even count as online because it was released before live gold?

And playing online on the Dreamcast wasn't complicated, in fact all you needed was the adapter and a game that plays online, it would find the servers and match you with others... no account, nothing, it's not like it was harder, in fact it was easier because you did not need to put in your credit card, etc.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The Xbox easily. Yeah, it had Xbox Live and Halo, but beyond that, it didn’t have much that I hold nostalgia for. The NES and PSOne in particular bring me back wonderful memories.

The Alien

Banned
I dunno. I had fun with all 3 for all different reasons and feel like they all encompassed different stages of my life.

I know the OG XBox will get shit on heavily here...primarily because it lacks any of the nostalgia of the others.

PS1 had tons of great games I loved playing at the time (but this block graphics sucked even back then -lol).

NES...whats more to say. Its an all time classic.

But I did have a blast with the OG XBox and thought it felt like my first real "big boy console".

Xbox, less classic games than the other two.

Edit: On another note, the PS1/N64 era was rough. For the most part, the jump to 3D was not pretty.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Writing did not exist before internet because the letters had to be printed on paper? is that how it works? Nobody ever searched internet until Google existed? The first car was the model T? Was there 3D before the FS chip?

I think that implying that MS "invented" something that existed before is pedantic. Paying for Live Gold made online play possible?

Does Halo CE even count as online because it was released before live gold?

And playing online on the Dreamcast wasn't complicated, in fact all you needed was the adapter and a game that plays online, it would find the servers and match you with others... no account, nothing, it's not like it was harder, in fact it was easier because you did not need to put in your credit card, etc.

Nobody ever said MS invented online gaming. They just helped popularize it on console with standards that even carried forward to 360. I don't know what the first online game is in history but I remember playing Doom on a shitty modem in the 90s. And it was crap. Players skipping around every 20 ft.

Dreamcast and PS2 had online capabilities, but was sketchy in terms of usage, catalog of games and standardization. And that's assuming people had decent internet at the time to even use it and for some people (like me), my PS2 didn't even have a built ethernet port as I got an early model. If I wanted to play the small number of games online I ha to buy the ethernet gadget for $100.

Nobody ever said MS invented online gaming. They just helped popularize it on console with standards that even carried forward to 360. I don't know what the first online game is in history but I remember playing Doom on a shitty modem in the 90s. And it was crap. Players skipping around every 20 ft.

Dreamcast and PS2 had online capabilities, but was sketchy in terms of usage, catalog of games and standardization. And that's assuming people had decent internet at the time to even use it and for some people (like me), my PS2 didn't even have a built ethernet port as I got an early model. If I wanted to play the small number of games online I ha to buy the ethernet gadget for $100.

Technically, GameCube had it too.

MrS

Banned
Xbox worst of the 3 but obviously it was an excellent console. PGR, Halo and Champ Man 01/02 on that thing? Superb product and the industry is better because of it.

ITT: "2 zoomers try to put their first console on top and get ass blasted when the army of boomers show up to ruin their party."

You hate to see it.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
- create thread asking which was the WORST out of 3 classic, beloved, and highly nostalgic consoles of different generations

- use thread as a platform to shill for your personal choice

- when your favorite one loses, allege bias and persecution

Armorian

Banned
Original Xbox hardware is amazing, this thing is build like a tank and had so much potential (with CFW). I still keep mine in the drawer LOL (soft modded to have HD support)

ACtC-3dXyArMqLNP9ZBMZ8VZFVyTENh--AmQhrFZ59yJGBoPNguKAz4l2uQynuhS9qGD5AgANhLCFnCcuaEa2XNEm-JbMGrZZC_QM2mpUuWCFvkgnYG_kPdQQYTTYYdFQA8vL-tYy9vfTeCJJ63JXgK1-E5g=w1684-h947-no

Original Xbox hardware is amazing, this thing is build like a tank and had so much potential (with CFW). I still keep mine in the drawer LOL (soft modded to have HD support)

ACtC-3dXyArMqLNP9ZBMZ8VZFVyTENh--AmQhrFZ59yJGBoPNguKAz4l2uQynuhS9qGD5AgANhLCFnCcuaEa2XNEm-JbMGrZZC_QM2mpUuWCFvkgnYG_kPdQQYTTYYdFQA8vL-tYy9vfTeCJJ63JXgK1-E5g=w1684-h947-no

Unless you had a Thompson drive. I had to replace mine. Thankfully, Costco had longer extended warranties back then.

Last edited:
A large part of the NES legacy is based on misinformation but even with that and nostalgia put to the side the games run poorly, the color choice is bad, flickering sprites, scanlines, and rectangle controller are not ideal to go back to.

Sony rides this, but has it's own graphical and performance issues with it's 3D games, and it's 2D isn't that good either. It had some great games but it benefitted too much from the competition dying or making wrong moves.

Xbox is the best alone for doing what several previous consoles failed to do, and that is desegregate Computer and console gaming while also pushing consoles forward in power. It also released at a time 3D gaming was less experimental, and was the best hardware among it's competitors.bit was also forward thinking with broadband, harddrive storage, online downloads, customer music tracks, and HD compatibility with several games.

So NES would definitely be the worse. Even for it's time it had weaknesses it should have just by being newer hardware, but it did. Mega Man 1-6 got rereleased on the PS1 and Xbox with better controllers, music, and input so that takes away my personal reason of owning an NES right there.

NES rejuvenated gaming in the 80s when it was on a downward trend
Actually it was rising from the downward trend. But what I find funny is that PS1 rejuvenated console gaming from a downward trend too and so did the 360. All bigger drops too.

Xbox will of course win this thread by default but it's funny how much people dont care about accurate information for gaming. If it wasn't for NES fallacy it would win this thread easily.

The NES didn't really do a lot to save anything outside of the USA though,
They didn't do anything to save gaming in the US either. Some people just want to hold on to the fiction they grew up with because they were a fan of the thing.

Like ZX spectrum owners. Utter garbage machine for games, burn it.

keram

NES saved consoles.

Xbox redefined them.

PS1 isn’t as revolutionary in comparison

Yeah sure, because of an online MP shooter Halo. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

With the PS1 gamers were able to play games from arcade halls/domes on their own TV (RR, Tekken etc.) Also the Game lib was just insane: Resident Evil, GT, Metal Gear Solid, FF7, Twisted Metal, RR, Tekken, Parasite Eve, TR, MK etc.

I think the PS1 brought the gaming at home and games to a complete new level with the insane 3D graphics in these days. Also memory cards for save games and games on discs instead on cardridges. This was no more a toy but a real "gaming machine". Gaming was no more something for "nerds" only but for almost everyone.

Yes there was 3D before on MDII (x32) and SNES (Super FX) but it was miles better on PS1 in terms of polygon count and graphical fidelity.

No doubt: NES > PS1 > XB

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
- create thread asking which was the WORST out of 3 classic, beloved, and highly nostalgic consoles of different generations

- use thread as a platform to shill for your personal choice

- when your favorite one loses, allege bias and persecution

I don't think you're as perceptive as you seem to imagine you are

Andodalf

Banned

With the PS1 gamers were able to play games from arcade halls/domes on their own TV (RR, Tekken etc.) Also the Game lib was just insane: Resident Evil, GT, Metal Gear Solid, FF7, Twisted Metal, RR, Tekken, Parasite Eve, TR, MK etc.

I think the PS1 brought the gaming at home and games to a complete new level with the insane 3D graphics in these days. Also memory cards for save games and games on discs instead on cardridges. This was no more a toy but a real "gaming machine". Gaming was no more something for "nerds" only but for almost everyone.

Yes there was 3D before on MDII (x32) and SNES (Super FX) but it was miles better on PS1 in terms of polygon count and graphical fidelity.

It’s too bad the other things the Xbox did never caught on though! Imagine if we had hard drives in consoles! The things we could do with that. Or programmable shaders! Imagine if the trend xbox started of bringing PC games to console continued! We could see games like Starfield come to console one day instead of being PC only!

Sadly none of that ever happened :(

I like how you chose the Super FX and 32X and ignored the other consoles and PC.

Also games on discs, good lord

Tschumi

I guess it could only be xbox. That's not to say Xbox wasn't great, similarly to you perhaps i think it's the best Xbox iteration by far, i got a chipped one in China in 2005 or something, and the roulette of seeing which of the 5c disks would actually run was a game in itself! But that was years after I'd had my true joy with the console - halo co-op. Funnily enough only halo 2 worked on my chipped box, and i hate that shit so i had to find other games, like Mercenaries or Spartan Total Warrior, which i seriously enjoyed.

But, the nes justified and popularized the concept of a console itself. And the PS1 was arguably a spiritual ancestor to the xbox, and let's face it FF7 and metal gear solid, crash Bandicoot etc each had more to say about gaming in 2021 than halo. Halo was a perfect shooter, but mohaa was the ancestor of cod and Battlefield, halo was a one off in many ways.

Looking back, from a purely personal perspective, my top 3 for the 2000s generation would be 1) GCN, 2) PS2, 3) Xbox... The actual top 3 would perhaps be ps2>Xbox>GameCube.. GameCube only scoring low because it didn't have GTA/FF or Halo

Last edited:

Rubik8

Come on. These were all excellent first attempts. I didn’t own the original Xbox until the 360 was out, but it was impressive, even in retrospect. I refuse to vote :)

Banned
XBox... because the other were so good... not because it was bad.

like, the NES was fucking crazy for the time... the amount of gigantic franchises that started on that thing, the jump in quality from the pervious consoles. it was crazy
and the PS1 brought CD gaming to the mainstream as well as 3D gaming and it made gaming as a whole more popular and "hip"

the Xbox was simply a solid console with really fucking awesome hardware for the time, but nothing special like the NES or PS1.

the issue is, Microsoft came in when all the really big hurdles had already been jumped over and simply delivered a good console, nothing less and nothin more... maybe it helped form how online communities work, but really, that was the 360... now THAT console was a huge deal. the 360 refined online play and all it needs to be good and what it means to actually have an online community on a console. achievements were also a huge deal

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I imagine a lot of Gaf’s user base grew up with the Xbox/ps2 era, and didn’t actually experience the nes, snes or ps1 era.
My vote is for ps1 as it’s when I feel games actually became a legit entertainment industry with a wide enough range of content to fit everyone.

teezzy

Banned
I imagine a lot of Gaf’s user base grew up with the Xbox/ps2 era, and didn’t actually experience the nes, snes or ps1 era.
My vote is for ps1 as it’s when I feel games actually became a legit entertainment industry with a wide enough range of content to fit everyone.

FTP

we're voting for worst of the three Pag

Xbox brought the minimum system requirements of pc gaming to the house in an affordable way. But playing doom and half life and other pc games with better specs on pc made the xbox the easiest to cut. But it still gave the best looking console ports at the time.

Last edited:
It's very simple for me since I never owned an xbox. I am a big fan of japanese console video games and always had a gaming pc for western releases.

Will give the xbox props for it's controller though, it's the best one out of all of the three console makers.

SirTerry-T

A large part of the NES legacy is based on misinformation but even with that and nostalgia put to the side the games run poorly, the color choice is bad, flickering sprites, scanlines, and rectangle controller are not ideal to go back to.

Sony rides this, but has it's own graphical and performance issues with it's 3D games, and it's 2D isn't that good either. It had some great games but it benefitted too much from the competition dying or making wrong moves.

Xbox is the best alone for doing what several previous consoles failed to do, and that is desegregate Computer and console gaming while also pushing consoles forward in power. It also released at a time 3D gaming was less experimental, and was the best hardware among it's competitors.bit was also forward thinking with broadband, harddrive storage, online downloads, customer music tracks, and HD compatibility with several games.

So NES would definitely be the worse. Even for it's time it had weaknesses it should have just by being newer hardware, but it did. Mega Man 1-6 got rereleased on the PS1 and Xbox with better controllers, music, and input so that takes away my personal reason of owning an NES right there.

Actually it was rising from the downward trend. But what I find funny is that PS1 rejuvenated console gaming from a downward trend too and so did the 360. All bigger drops too.

Xbox will of course win this thread by default but it's funny how much people dont care about accurate information for gaming. If it wasn't for NES fallacy it would win this thread easily.

They didn't do anything to save gaming in the US either. Some people just want to hold on to the fiction they grew up with because they were a fan of the thing.

Like ZX spectrum owners. Utter garbage machine for games, burn it.
You were doing really well until that last sentence ;)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
NES saved consoles.

Xbox redefined them.

PS1 isn’t as revolutionary in comparison
33d.gif

That said....I cant really say which is the worse....because each brought something to the table at launch, early years of the console's life.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

XBox... because the other were so good... not because it was bad.

like, the NES was fucking crazy for the time... the amount of gigantic franchises that started on that thing, the jump in quality from the pervious consoles. it was crazy
and the PS1 brought CD gaming to the mainstream as well as 3D gaming and it made gaming as a whole more popular and "hip"

the Xbox was simply a solid console with really fucking awesome hardware for the time, but nothing special like the NES or PS1.

the issue is, Microsoft came in when all the really big hurdles had already been jumped over and simply delivered a good console, nothing less and nothin more... maybe it helped form how online communities work, but really, that was the 360... now THAT console was a huge deal. the 360 refined online play and all it needs to be good and what it means to actually have an online community on a console. achievements were also a huge deal
As far as making gaming "hip", the PS1 was simply building on the groundwork laid down by Sega Europe's marketing strategy.

Understandable as that point may be overlooked though as any modern gamer knows that Sega contributed absolutely nothing worthwhile to the industry /s

Banned
As far as making gaming "hip", the PS1 was simply building on the groundwork laid down by Sega Europe's marketing strategy.

Understandable as that point may be overlooked though as any modern gamer knows that Sega contributed absolutely nothing worthwhile to the industry /s

the genesis wasn't nearly as mainstream as the PS1 tho.

stuff like this elevated it IMO

Top Bottom