• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Through a modern perespective: which is the WORST of the big 3's original console efforts and why? (woo-ha i got you all in check)

Which is the worst?

• NES

Votes: 36 16.8%
  • PS1

Votes: 33 15.4%
  • Xbox

Votes: 145 67.8%

• Total voters

teezzy

Banned

WHICH IS THE WORST?!

580b57fcd9996e24bc43c367.png

Often credited with saving the gaming industry from a crash, which ostensibly is a debated point. The NES is what so many often point to as an absolute focal point of their childhoods. Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Deadly Towers... these are some of the games many remember either fondly or... not so much. While it surely birthed plenty of classic franchises which have become international behemoths of intellectual properties - some are frankly noted as being difficult to return to. Flickering sprites and slowdown galore. Still, some people like that (I guess) and you can't ignore the thrills of Super Mario Brothers 3, Mega Man 2, Ninja Gaiden, and umm... Bucky O'Hare!!!!

PlayStation-SCPH-1000-with-Controller.png

Not launching with it's infamous Dualshock controller which we've all grown accustomed to, the PS1 is a certified classic which, for a younger generation, is credited as much as being a cornerstone of an entire generation's childhood. This is juxtaposed against the console's legacy of forcing the gaming world to mature and appealing to an older audience than competitors like Sega and Nintendo were originally chasing after. PS1, much like Nintendo's SNES, was a JRPG behemoth and where too many of us got our first exposure to the Final Fantasy franchise. Coupling that with classics like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Ape Escape, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night... this duder is a beast of a console and allegedly makes one heck of a HiFi CD player for any home entertainment system. Others will critique the system's early polygonal output and claim they're far too rough to return to, while a very vocal community finds the system's graphics much more favorable in the warm-fuzzies kinda nostalgia way.

VD2pxa2.png

I won't lie. The original Xbox is my favorite console of all time, and my bias will be clearly showing here. Full to the brim of hidden gems in what is easily my preferred console generation ever, it takes one hell of a package to make me side with a console and its library above beloved beasts like the Gamecube and PS2. Not nearly as often cited as a childhood classic like the Gamecube and PS2 were... the Xbox was a tipping point in the industry through the introduction of an internal HDD and the infamous Xbox Live ecosystem which absolutely revolutionized how multiplayer gaming was handled from that point moving forward. Loaded with PC Port goodness like Morrowind, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and even Doom 3... I can't think of a single one of those titles without picturing this behemoth of a unit in mindscape. This is the console that brought us Halo and also Forza for the first time. I even have nostalgia for the often mocked Duke controller, and still feel that it's the best way to play through Gunvalkyrie and MechAssault. Something just feels right. Xbox also got some post-Dreamcast SEGA output like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi: Myth of Demons, and Jet Set Radio Future. Let's not forget Dead or Alive 3 either! The modding community is still active to this day in 2021, and I just really hope that one day this console will capture the nostalgia factor which the other two in this thread seem to hold. It is every bit as deserving. It's ability to rip my Deftones CDs and having an exclusive Buffy game certainly makes it a bit of my dream console.

WHICH IS THE WORST?!

Last edited:

Alphagear

So did Xbox though....

Xbox Live, internal storage, Halo defined how console shooters would be played for every generation onward

I dont think that's anything to sneeze at

NES rejuvenated gaming in the 80s when it was on a downward trend and the PS1 was the first console to sell 100 million consoles. It actually made gaming cool and took it to the mainstream.

Halo alone doesn't compete with the catalog of games on the NES and especially the PS1. It's a no contest.

teezzy

Banned
NES saved consoles.

Xbox redefined them.

PS1 isn’t as revolutionary in comparison

Yeah, I agree on Xbox, but I also am very aware of the sentiment around PS1 being the tipping point of where console gaming "grew up"

Still, Xbox absolutely redefined the lines between console, gaming PC, and home media center. You see it everywhere now, but it's so easy to forget that. Xbox just didn't dominate the generation like PS1 and NES did.

NES and it's not even close. I love Nintendo but Xbox and Playstations libraries shit on the NES.

Imagine being told you could only play one of the systems the rest of your life and actually choosing the NES. It's not gonna happen.

yurinka

Both NES and (specially) PS1 meant a huge succes setting several new big paradigms and dominated their generations to a point that meant a big growth for the console market. It wasn't the case for Xbox.

NES saved consoles.
NES didn't save anything. The '83 crash' only affected a handful companies in the US, Europe and Asia didn't notice and same goes with the overall gaming industry, since arcades and specially home consoles were way bigger in Europe or Japan than consoles back then.

SEGA MAster System is the worst.
Master System wasn't their first console, Sega released the SG-1000 before the same year NES was released (1983). So yes, SG-1000 was worse than NES, PS1 and Xbox.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
How the heck is the Xbox the worst when it was the best console of it's generation from a technical standpoint and competed against the b st console of all time?

You could have asked which brand I hate the most and get to the same result.

teezzy

Banned
How the heck is the Xbox the worst when it was the best console of it's generation from a technical standpoint and competed against the b st console of all time?

You could have asked which brand I hate the most and get to the same result.

The poll results really are indicative of the hive mentality so many complain about here. I can understand Xbox getting the most votes, but the margin is truly showcasing an overall bias against the brand.

ethomaz

Banned
Basically a non contest at all.

PS1 and SNES where both better at their time, had better design and way more masterpiece games.
They were universally loved consoles.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
All were great entrances to the narket, the worst consoles from the big three were WiiU, PS3 and XB1.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
None are bad. NES is the best. Xbox is probably the least of the 3.

SEGA MAster System is the worst.

The Master System was better than the NES that was its selling point

The games were more advanced and more fun to play

SirTerry-T

The NES didn't really do a lot to save anything outside of the USA though, we really didn't suffer the "crash" in the UK and Europe to the same extent, if at all.
The Master System was a better bit of hardware ;)...so as much as I love what Nintendo brings to the industry, my vote has to go with the NES.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Xbox fans are truly the most unjustly persecuted in all of gaming fandom, and this poll proves it. Much like Jesus Christ, they get crucified so that modern gaming can live and flourish.

We ought to forgive Nintendo and Sony fans. They simply don’t understand how much they owe to Xbox.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'd say XBOX cause of the software library being weaker than NES/PSX.

It's still an awesome system with one of the greatest exclusives of all time.

iu

Zeroing

Banned
Xbox fans are truly the most unjustly persecuted in all of gaming fandom, and this poll proves it. Much like Jesus Christ, they get crucified so that modern gaming can live and flourish.

We ought to forgive Nintendo and Sony fans. They simply don’t understand how much they owe to Xbox.
Ahahaha you are funny :D
So Nintendo and Sony fans are like the Romans, tossing christian xbox fans to the colluseam so they could be eaten alive by lions? sounds savage. Jesus definitely wept.

joking.

teezzy

Banned
The NES didn't really do a lot to save anything outside of the USA though, we really didn't suffer the "crash" in the UK and Europe to the same extent, if at all.
The Master System was a better bit of hardware ;)...so as much as I love what Nintendo brings to the industry, my vote has to go with the NES.

Since when do countries outside of North America actually exist?

🤪

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
NES.

No doubt it had the most shitty games per ratio thing compared to PS1 and Xbox. At least PS1 and Xbox games as a whole had a much better standard and any games trying to replicate arcade games were close. Unless it was Super Mario, or a port of Donkey Kong, most NES games based off arcade games were ultra shit. And at that time no sports games had detailed pro leagues, players or stats.

And that gamepad must be the smallest gamepad I've ever used on any console or PC. Even as a kid they were super small. So anyone with big hands must had had trouble.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Xbox had less overall classic software, but that was also a side effect of it's timing and the maturity of the market.

All three systems were great. NES was the NES, nothing more even needs to be said. The PSX was during a time of explosive creativity in the industry. The Xbox bringing networking to consoles felt so awesome at the time. All great systems and great memories.

Top Bottom