• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three killed and 500 stung as storms in Egypt wash scorpions into homes

plushyp

Storms in Egypt leave 3 dead, unleash scorpions that sting more than 500

13202013.jpg

Heavy rain and flooding in a southern province in Egypt have left three people dead and more than 500 others hospitalized from scorpion stings, state-run media reported.

Downpours, hail and thunder in the province of Aswan over the weekend forced local authorities to suspend school classes Sunday, Gov. Ashraf Attia said.

The storms forced scorpions from their hiding places into many houses across the province, Attia added. He said at least 503 people were hospitalized after suffering scorpion stings and that all of them were discharged after they were given anti-venom doses.

Acting Health Minister Khalid Abdel-Ghafar said in a statement that no deaths were reported from scorpion stings.

Photos and video footage circulated on social media showed flooded streets and damaged houses, vehicles and agricultural farms.

The Al-Ahram daily reported the deaths, citing Ehab Hanafy, the Health Ministry’s Undersecretary in Aswan. It did not elaborate on the cause.

The rainfall also caused power outages.

Source: https://www.ksla.com/2021/11/14/report-storms-egypt-leave-3-dead-unleash-scorpions/

Last edited:

Doom85

Reminds me of that scene in Fargo Season 1. Funny, the guy there assumed it was biblical as well, but next episode they explained how it happened naturally.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Scorpions getting into people's houses? Are they living under The Rock? 500 cases? The hospitals might need The People's Aid if the numbers keep up. I'd hate to see the health care in Egypt hit Rock Bottom. It doesn't matter what your name is, if you can help, please do.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I was going to say if this happened 1500 years ago it would’ve been written into text and hundreds of years later be acknowledged as proof a god exists.

When all it really means is Mother Nature is a major cunt.

GymWolf

Scorpions are pretty rare here where i live, but i saw a small one when i was very little and i squashed him with my shoe :messenger_sad_relieved:

Top Bottom