• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR: JJ Abrams' Superman Won't Be Part of the DCEU Universe, Will Feature a Black Kal-El

ManaByte

Eddie Murphy should play Superman, Batman, Zod and Lex Luthor in the same film

Don't forget Ma Kent too:
eddie murphy grandma GIF

And Pa Kent while you're at it:
eddie murphy GIF

Azurro

Banned
Will this be like the new Ghostbusters movie where they know it will be awful so they're hedging their bets by casting a black actor so when the movie tanks they can just blame it on racist movie goers?

Kind of, if JJ casts some people pushed by the activists' ideas, it simply isn't his fault if things you badly and it tanks. He can simply blame all the -ists and he's golden.

A very smart insurance policy, that's how he is able to fail upwards.

Last edited:
A black Kal-El is just as bad as a pale-skinned long red-haired Kal-El. Or a blonde Kal-El, or a Danny Devito Kal-El.

That's not how superman looks.

They aren't doing it because it's the best choice for the story. They are doing it because racebending is the new trend. And because it'll cause a buzz and give them free marketing.
And when inevitably fans start complaining they'll twist it to look like there's a racist uproar. They'll guilt-trip the audience.
And the mindless NPC drones will help, calling every naysayer a racist.

I think the average white American is deathly afraid of being perceived as a racist person.

But whatever. This movie is not for me anyway.

Sybrix

Wow, DC is such a complete shit show

It just makes Marvel look more golden than they already are

DC have been embarrassing to say the least over the last 10 years with their pathetic attempts to match the might of Marvel, however all they have done is make themselves look so much worse.

Worst part is they actually have some good characters like Batman and Wonder Woman but they still continue to fuck it up

A black Kal-El is just as bad as a pale-skinned long red-haired Kal-El. Or a blonde Kal-El, or a Danny Devito Kal-El.

That's not how superman looks.

They aren't doing it because it's the best choice for the story. They are doing it because racebending is the new trend. And because it'll cause a buzz and give them free marketing.
And when inevitably fans start complaining they'll twist it to look like there's a racist uproar. They'll guilt-trip the audience.
And the mindless NPC drones will help, calling every naysayer a racist.

I think the average white American is deathly afraid of being perceived as a racist person.

But whatever. This movie is not for me anyway.
That’s the game these days. Take a well established character. Completely subvert that character. Fans of the original rightly point out the change and complain because they like the original character. Accuse the fans of being racist/sexist/phobic rather than just fans of a character you have essentially changed into a new character.

I mean creators are free to do whatever they want with characters. Of course. But fans can like or dislike the choices they make. Pretending that any objection to making Superman some kind of black liberation power fantasy (which seems like a strong possibility based on Ta Nehisi Coates involvement), is going to ruffle some feathers. Not because people who don’t like this are racist but because it’s a complete subversion of Superman as he’s always been. Some people might like that, others are free not to and say so. They shouldn’t be labelled disgusting things for doing so.

I'm asking the black people in this thread.

Do you even like this idea?

If i was black, i would feel so embarrassed and patronized by all this pandering.
Exactly how I feel. This is lame as fuck. I'm like superman when he stopped steppenwolfs axe in the Snyder Cut.

"Not. Impressed."

I mean they can case whoever they want, hell, they can get a black superman, as long as it is not Kal. They can have John Stewart as a black green latern. How would peopel feel if they made a new green latern movie and cast a white dud as John Stewart? It would be as fuck up.

The writer is good.
I have enjoyed his books the water dancer.

But despite that I don’t think it will be good.
But not cause of the reeing going on here by people malding over super man being black.
WB haven’t had the best track record in world building.
Only the first Wonder Woman and aqua man plus snider cut have been good imo.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I just cant imagine Superman as black. Sorry. Nothing against any race but its just not what I've always imagined him to be (and I am Indian, so its not like I am batting for white supremacy or anything lol).
Then add Ta-nahisi coates or wahtever his name is- a race baiter.
Basically this movie will be woke-fest which will get 100% rating on RT but fans wont care. I hope it bombs. I personally wont watch it. I find wokeness extremely tiresome and frustrating. I dont watch movies to be preached at (even if I am not white, its still preachy as fuck).

spawn

I'm done with DC and WB. This would be like removing Robert Downey Jr right after Iron Man 1 for a different actor just for inclusiveness

The writer is good.
I have enjoyed his books the water dancer.

But despite that I don’t think it will be good.
But not cause of the reeing going on here by people malding over super man being black.
WB haven’t had the best track record in world building.
Only the first Wonder Woman and aqua man plus snider cut have been good imo.
I don’t think people are “malding” over Superman being black. I think they’re skeptical of the direction they want to take the character. Him being black is a part of that, but being black isn’t the main concern. If they made a Superman movie where he had to overcome a heroin addiction, people would rightly be like, “This isn’t what Superman is about”.

Having Superman be some sort of race commentary is no different. It is a bastardization of the character for the service of an ideology. People who are down with that ideology will be more likely to applaud it. Everyone else who isn’t on board but has been a fan of Superman will feel like this is a kind of betrayal. Whenever someone takes something you feel invested in and changes it to serve a purpose you don’t agree with, of course you’re going to be disappointed. If Black Panther 2 was suddenly recast as a Mexican woman immigrating to the US, people would be asking “what the fuck?”

Last edited:

Salz01

Its as if they have no more ideas on how to create new characters or new stories. Let’s just swap the skin color of iconic characters and resell it. I’m not sure thats really helping anything or anybody.

You got it wrong. Its the movie industry who are race obsessed and people are commenting on it.

Imagine wanting to get a job for a specific role but you can't do it because of the color of your skin. Nothing else, no limited physical activity note from a doctor, no disabilities that would stop you from doing that job, no extreme adjustments needed for you to do the job. Just the fact that people will get mad that you're black and will boycott your product.

Some of those people who will get mad that their favorite comic book character is now going to be played by a black man are in this thread.

Trigger warning, Superman has been played by an Indian and fucked Spidergirl. It's canon, deal with it.

nkarafo

Imagine wanting to get a job for a specific role but you can't do it because of the color of your skin. Nothing else, no limited physical activity note from a doctor, no disabilities that would stop you from doing that job, no extreme adjustments needed for you to do the job. Just the fact that people will get mad that you're black and will boycott your product.
So you wouldn't have an issue if the next Blade movie had a white actor portray him?

You wouldn't call that whitewhashing, wouldn't you?

It's not like there are double standards or anything like that, right?

So you wouldn't have an issue if the next Blade movie had a white actor portray him?

You wouldn't call that whitewhashing, wouldn't you?

It's not like there are double standards or anything like that, right?

No, I wouldn't care if that's what the holders of the IP and directors wanted. I also wouldn't care if James Bond got replaced by a black woman either. Oh wait!

It's fake ass movies and fake ass stories and people are gatekeeping others over the color of their skin. smdh

nkarafo

No, I wouldn't care if that's what the holders of the IP and directors wanted. I also wouldn't care if James Bond got replaced by a black woman either. Oh wait!

It's fake ass movies and fake ass stories and people are gatekeeping others over the color of their skin. smdh
So, asking for established characters to keep their identity and appearance as it was originally established is now considered as "gatekeeping"?

So, asking for established characters to keep their identity and appearance as it was originally established is now considered as "gatekeeping"?

There's different Superman universes for their various penis sizes. I think we can add one for a different shade of skin color, no?

nkarafo

I literally SHOWED you there's CANON black Supermans in the comics. It's most likely going to be one of them.
I literally quoted the other person, not you.

There's different Superman universes for their various penis sizes. I think we can add one for a different shade of skin color, no?
I'm confused. Is it a different character or not? Is it the same one but from a different universe?

Because if he is a different character then my post about race-bending and your post about gatekeeping were completely pointless :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Of course he is going to be black.

*sigh*

Because that's what's REALLY important, after all. An inclusive Superman that's deliberately made not-white. Inclusivity for all! (Except white people, they can go fuck themselves)
It's not inclusive though. If they'd want exclusive they'd look beyond black and white to other ethnicities as well. Before pretending like black people are the greatest victims of all time and need to be up front and center in everything all the time, stop to ponder whether or not there are some other people of color in the americas who've had even greater crimes imposed upon them, and might deserve their day in the sun soon.

You know, them

I don’t think people are “malding” over Superman being black. I think they’re skeptical of the direction they want to take the character. Him being black is a part of that, but being black isn’t the main concern. If they made a Superman movie where he had to overcome a heroin addiction, people would rightly be like, “This isn’t what Superman is about”.

Having Superman be some sort of race commentary is no different. It is a bastardization of the character for the service of an ideology. People who are down with that ideology will be more likely to applaud it. Everyone else who isn’t on board but has been a fan of Superman will feel like this is a kind of betrayal. Whenever someone takes something you feel invested in and changes it to serve a purpose you don’t agree with, of course you’re going to be disappointed. If Black Panther 2 was suddenly recast as a Mexican woman immigrating to the US, people would be asking “what the fuck?”

I’m not sure how people are not malding by criticizing the move and the direction that the movie takes before we know ANYTHING about it.

Crying like a butthurt child and saying something is ideological before seeing what it is kinda a self report in that regard.

INC

Sure, there are a few piss poor "woke" films but not many.

And yet ..... we have no idea what the story is. Your complaining simply based on a skin colour.

No I'm complaining about nothing in cinema apart from shitty superhero movies

Not skin colour you pleb, get a grip

Last edited:

Just_one

i just cannot defend DC anymore if this turns out to be true (which it seems to be).

they are just plain morons, you look at what DC is doing and then you see how marvel just showed that phase 4 trailer and its night and day.

they have a great superman in cavill but no lets get a black superman because everyone should be inclusive now , no DC/WB that is just bad casting. Superman is a white man.

WB did the same thing in Mortal kombat when casting a black woman to be millenna because...

its just stupid im sorry , im not trying to come across as a racist but you have to cast the actors and actress right.

I’m not sure how people are not malding by criticizing the move and the direction that the movie takes before we know ANYTHING about it.

Crying like a butthurt child and saying something is ideological before seeing what it is kinda a self report in that regard.
We know Ta Naishi Coates is involved with the project. Based on his contribution to Captain America, I’d say that’s a bad sign. That guy doesn’t do stories that aren’t ideological. He’s a one trick pony that way.

tkscz

A Black Clark is nothing new, my problem with this is Coates. His writing is cringy at best and racist at worse. And over all he just isn't that good a writer. J.J. isn't that bad a director, though he will be compared to Snyder and Gunn who are much better than he is.

We know Ta Naishi Coates is involved with the project. Based on his contribution to Captain America, I’d say that’s a bad sign. That guy doesn’t do stories that aren’t ideological. He’s a one trick pony that way.

We do, he is an amazing writer.
I’m also noting the irony in someone calling out captain America for being ideological while talking about a comic book character called captain America...
Dude wrote Black panther but I never heard the ideology mongers cry 🤔

Top Bottom