• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR: HBO Hack Is Reportedly 7 Times Larger Than Catastrophic Sony Attack

kyser73

I'm kicking myself for not going the cyber security route when I was younger. Let's concentrate on coding like everyone else, fuck.

Forensic IT analysis is where it's at. A mate of mine works for a company that does it and if sounds fascinating - recovering data from trashed HDDs (they've got this reconstruction thing that can take pieces of an HDD platter & read it), wiped email servers...he taught me a lot about how unless you physically burn stuff to ashes more often than not there's a chance some data can be recoverable.

More importantly he earns bucket loads.

Kelsdesu

I'm kicking myself for not going the cyber security route when I was younger. Let's concentrate on coding like everyone else, fuck.

How most companies are they dont think they need cyber security until they get fucked over and even still they gonna hire 1 guy to do a job of 3 people.

I can't imagine they'll be especially interesting.

People really want to believe that they have the whole first season planned out already as opposed to some world building and a basic outline (if that, I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't committed to anything besides the basic premise).

Dragonbinder

Neo Member
I find it wierd they're measuring the scope of this attack in terms of data size. A terrabyte isn't some impossibly large cache of data - it's very average. All this seems to mean is that the hackers got a hold of more video content than what came out of Sony.

I get what you're saying but this issue is more that we do not yet know publicly what is contained in the leak. Video content being leaked is nothing compared to financial documents or customer details, as the article states

1.5 terabytes sounds small but think of what it could be.

1.5 terabytes of video/audio = not much
1.5 terabytes of email or internal documentation = the damn farm.

Once again it seems to be a simple email delivery that breaches security. You would think basic training on suspicious emails would be common training for a company these days.

xrnzaaas

7 times larger sounds dramatic and clickbaity, but it doesn't have to be that much of audio/video material depending on the state of its compression.

Doesn't really sound that insane, from my perspective.

Certainly nothing earth shattering seems to have been released anyway, so to say.

Top Bottom