• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR: 'DC Super Hero Girls' Is DC's Biggest New Series

Full title: 'DC Super Hero Girls' Is DC's Biggest New Series — and Might Be the Future of Superhero Comics

Interview at the link but here are the non-interview parts:
Wonder Woman isn't DC Entertainment's only success story when it comes to breaking new ground with its superhero properties in the past year or so. While the Amazon Princess has helped audiences of all ages discover the — ahem — wonder of a female superhero unencumbered of male heroes, the company's DC Super Hero Girls program has done something arguably harder: it has introduced an audience long thought lost back to superhero comics.

Set in an alternate version of the DC Universe, DC Super Hero Girls features younger versions of the company's superhero and villain characters attending Super Hero High School, where the curriculum includes learning how to deal with powers and the regular teenage school stuff. As a property, it exists across multiple media, with animated TV episodes, webisodes and home release movies alongside toys, apparel and DC's own graphic novel line. In addition to sales success, the property has gained attention for bringing gender parity to the toy market and inspired a similar effort from Disney, the Star Wars: Forces of Destiny initiative.

As San Diego Comic-Con approaches, the key people involved in DC's graphic novel series look back at the project so far.

Looking to the future, the success of DC Super Hero Girls hasn't just established a secure future for that particular brand in DC's publishing plans — a digital series was unveiled in October — but it's identified a new market for DC to explore in years to come. No official announcement has been made yet, but a May release about new editorial positions at DC dropped a small hint about what's to come: a "brand-new Young Readers' imprint scheduled to launch in 2018."

That tease suggests something that's not only exciting, but necessary for the survival of DC's superhero comic properties. Thirty years after titles like Watchmen and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns demonstrated that — to paraphrase a DC tagline of the era — superhero comics weren't just for kids anymore, the market has shifted to such a point that it seems as if superhero comics aren't for kids at all anymore.

Without younger readers being offered an entry point into this particular slice of the medium, however, all that's left is an aging demographic and shrinking audience. Something has to change — and, with DC Super Hero Girls, DC just might have identified what that should be.

I have to buy one of the LEGO sets for one of my little sisters later.

Ogodei

The toys and cartoons were the primary point of entry for kids since the 90s, i'd bet.

Frankly i doubt there's any bringing of the actual comic industry back from the abyss it's at right now, not unless the industry colluded to take Diamond out of the picture and tried to reboot direct-selling at places like CVS's magazine rack, but toys and cartoons have worked for bringing in the younger set quite well.

I've got 4 and 7-year-old daughters, and they both love DC Super Hero Girls, which is awesome. Unfortunately, although I enjoy DC (my favorite fictional character in any form of media is Batman), I've always been more of a Marvel guy overall. Hopefully Marvel can follow in DC's footsteps in this regard, but I'm dubious.

Viewt

The toys and cartoons were the primary point of entry for kids since the 90s, i'd bet.

Frankly i doubt there's any bringing of the actual comic industry back from the abyss it's at right now, not unless the industry colluded to take Diamond out of the picture and tried to reboot direct-selling at places like CVS's magazine rack, but toys and cartoons have worked for bringing in the younger set quite well.

I thought digital distribution would inject a lot more life into the comics industry, but it's a hard sell to get people to spend $4 on an issue. It's too bad - comics are totally perfect for burst or binge consumption, and you can read them anywhere - your phone, your tablet, your computer. They seem tailor-fit for today's market. But it's just not taking off in a big way. :\

Busty

Banned
Apparently this has been a huge hit for DC (or more accurately Time Warner) giving them a chunk of that Disney Princess market.

Not only that but apparently this is seen within the toy/licensing industry as 'gold standard' for launching these kinds of properties. It has won a bunch of awards..., and what not.

I thought digital distribution would inject a lot more life into the comics industry, but it's a hard sell to get people to spend $4 on an issue. It's too bad - comics are totally perfect for burst or binge consumption, and you can read them anywhere - your phone, your tablet, your computer. They seem tailor-fit for today's market. But it's just not taking off in a big way. :
DC knows how to sell comics like this online. Their digital only issues(that are later collected in physical trades)cost 0.89€ where I live.

Penguin

I've got 4 and 7-year-old daughters, and they both love DC Super Hero Girls, which is awesome. Unfortunately, although I enjoy DC (my favorite fictional character in any form of media is Batman), I've always been more of a Marvel guy overall. Hopefully Marvel can follow in DC's footsteps in this regard, but I'm dubious.

I think the problem for Marvel is actually Disney. They have the Disney Princess line and now launching their Star Wars line like they probably aren't in a hurry to compete.

Apparently this has been a huge hit for DC (or more accurately Time Warner) giving them a chunk of that Disney Princess market.

Not only that but apparently this is seen within the toy/licensing industry as 'gold standard' for launching these kinds of properties. It has won a bunch of awards..., and what not.

I'm pleasantly surprised been a fan of the initiative since day 1, and knew they had big plans but when we didn't really hear any update on its success was afraid of what happened.

But glad it's not only doing well but exceeding expectations!

Dynomutt

Anything with Diana gets my support! What other series does DC currently have? Young. Justice is still away out and didn't they cancel The Batman?

Penguin

Anything with Diana gets my support! What other series does DC currently have? Young. Justice is still away out and didn't they cancel The Batman?

Like animated?

Only Teen Titans Go

I think the Batman Unlimited line wasn't nearly as successful.

What is the target age group for the series? Something I've always wondered is why "girls programming" always seems to skew younger than boys. The old DCAU shows (Batman, Superman, JL/U, TT, YG) were for boys (not necessarily teenagers) weren't they?

Penguin

What is the target age group for the series? Something I've always wondered is why "girls programming" always seems to skew younger than boys. The old DCAU shows (Batman, Superman, JL/U, TT, YG) were for boys (not necessarily teenagers) weren't they?

6-12

And honestly a lot of those older DCAU shows were aimed at a very similar demo.

I mean most of us were that age (or I was) when I got into Batman TAS, X-Men, spider-man, Superman

Some of it continued and aged up like Justice League.

Justice League Action is still ongoing IIRC. Young Justice S3 is next year.

Ha and I love that show but I've literally only ever watched it on TV once

Damn you CN!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This isn't for me so I feel I should complain about it like the MLP "molestation" accuser at that MLP convention.

I think the problem for Marvel is actually Disney. They have the Disney Princess line and now launching their Star Wars line like they probably aren't in a hurry to compete.

Yeah, that's true. It also seems like Marvel just doesn't have as many A-List, recognizable female characters to draw from for a mainstream audience. Wonder Woman is big now because of the movie, Harley is big because of Suicide Squad, and Batgirl and Supergirl are female counterparts to two of the biggest superheroes ever. That's a pretty easy main roster to promote.

I'm honestly not even sure what kind of roster you'd put together for a Marvel version of DC Super Hero Girls. Then there's the issue of likely excluding the X-Men because Disney doesn't want to promote Fox's movie property. It's all just messier for Marvel, which is unfortunate.

Good

still a little creepy they include Harley in it.

Tell me about it. My kids keep asking me about things in DC Super Hero Girls, and I have to be all like, "Well, that's not what it's like in the real DC comics..."

6-12

And honestly a lot of those older DCAU shows were aimed at a very similar demo.

I mean most of us were that age (or I was) when I got into Batman TAS, X-Men, spider-man, Superman

Some of it continued and aged up like Justice League.

Ha and I love that show but I've literally only ever watched it on TV once

Damn you CN!

I just caught the Darkseid vs Justice League(featuring Patton Oswalt as Space Cabbie) preview on DC's All Access youtube channel.

Good

still a little creepy they include Harley in it.
Not the only villain included as a happy nice schoolgirl

Poor Shiva

Slayven

Tell me about it. My kids keep asking me about things in DC Super Hero Girls, and I have to be all like, "Well, that's not what it's like in the real DC comics..."

I just hope no one gives their the comic where Joker reveals there was more than one "harley"

Poor Shiva

First, i feel bad for assuming that was Cheshire, second Shiva was a bad guy but she wasn't a bad guy.

Penguin

I just caught the Darkseid vs Justice League(featuring Patton Oswalt as Space Cabbie) preview on DC's All Access youtube channel.

Oh man the episode is so fun

(Cartoon Network dumps like all of them on their apps weeks before they air so seen the next 4 already)

But that Booster Gold ep from last weekend. That was some top quality comic booking!

bryanee

I bought my 4 year old niece four of the 12 inch figures and the first movie. She loves it and its well into the characters, especially Harley (has her hair done like Harley in the show). I bought her more stuff in the line including the newest movie and duvet sets and stuff.

Shes learning characters names and commenting on figures and statues I have. I have a bunch of these mini figures on a shelf and she can name them all with the exception of Martian Manhunter and Shazam.

She finds it weird that I wear T-shirts with Wonder Woman and other female DC heroes on. We had a conversation agreeing that we can both wear clothes with both boys and girls on them lol.

Malreyn

I'm honestly not even sure what kind of roster you'd put together for a Marvel version of DC Super Hero Girls. Then there's the issue of likely excluding the X-Men because Disney doesn't want to promote Fox's movie property. It's all just messier for Marvel, which is unfortunate.

I would figure they'd just take the concept of Marvel Avengers Academy (the mobile game) and make a cartoon about that and call it a day (completely ignoring the need for an all girl centric show)

Ogodei

Poor Shiva

They could surprise us. I once recall Disney had a Jungle Book prequel TV series called Jungle Cubs, which started out exactly like you would think, just kid versions of the Jungle Book animals who had some conflict between them but mostly got along, but as the show advanced they grew older and the fault lines between them started to appear (Shere Khan and Kaa having more friction with the others).

So you could see something like that here, where it starts with this sanitized High School AU where your roommates are Harley and Ivy and it's no big thing, but then things start to change.

There are definitely villains in this universe, so this is something that could go down.

Sesha

I'm not entirely surprised. There's definitely an underserved market for these things.

Yeah, that's true. It also seems like Marvel just doesn't have as many A-List, recognizable female characters to draw from for a mainstream audience. Wonder Woman is big now because of the movie, Harley is big because of Suicide Squad, and Batgirl and Supergirl are female counterparts to two of the biggest superheroes ever. That's a pretty easy main roster to promote.

Just from the movies you have Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Gamora and Captain Marvel for main characters. Then there's Pepper, Peggy, Agent 13, Sif, Valkyrie, Mantis, Shuri, and Maria Hill for supporting characters. Drawing on comics there's Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, Black Cat, and Spider-Gwen.

I actually quite enjoyed the cartoons movies. Superhero of the Year was much better than the first one, though, there was a definite quality leap. Looking forward to the new series with Lauren Faust which should be even better.

I bought some of the toys for my niece and she really seemed to enjoy them. When I was in my toy collecting phase I also bought some of the toys for me. I really like the redesigns for the main characters, except for "hoodie Batgirl" which just seems a little on the nose for a "young" interpretation and doesn't do it for me. The new Harley design is my favorite. A little more fun and young than her original design, but obviously not slutted up like almost everything DC has done with her in the comics and films. And it looks good as a toy.

IMG_0466.JPG

12059_DC_SHG_HarleyQuinn_ROCKCANDY_GLAM_HiRes_1024x1024.jpg

It's a fun series, but I doubt it saves "superhero comics". Its sales would likely be lower then most of your average comics in any event, given what it is.

DC seems like it's doing a good job of marketing their wide array of characters to little kids. Which is great because I know I learned about most of these characters from cartoons :p

My 4 year old loves them. She's especially fond of Bat Girl. The best thing is she asks a ton of questions about all the characters and even though it's not the main cannon enough has remained the same that I can answer most of them. If it's a gateway to comics or superheroes for girls they're after I can say with some authority that it's working on mine.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
The DVD animated movie for this is fun, when ignoring the school plot fodder. I'm up for a TV animated series.

Top Bottom