• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ Nordic 10th Anniversary Showcase set for September 17, featuring six new game announcements

MiguelItUp

I got busy with work and felt excited for a split second, then realized there wasn't a whole lot at all. Man, this train never ends, lmao.

Skifi28

Anyone play Elex?

I know it got pretty middling review scores, but I see it’s on sale right now and the trailer for 2 looked decent.
If you liked Gothic/ Gothic2 or the original Risen, you know what to expect. If you haven't played them, they're all technically and mechanically janky games of relatively low budgets that hide great RPGs in there that are unique and very different from the usual open worlds filled with icons that most RPGs today are. Some people can't get past the jankiness while others swear by them (me included), you have been warned.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
If you liked Gothic/ Gothic2 or the original Risen, you know what to expect. If you haven't played them, they're all technically and mechanically janky games of relatively low budgets that hide great RPGs in there that are unique and very different from the usual open worlds filled with icons that most RPGs today are. Some people can't get past the jankiness while others swear by them (me included), you have been warned.
I can look past jank if the story is worth it, as long as the combat is at least serviceable.

I‘ll have to go check out some combat gameplay videos and see.

Skifi28

I can look past jank if the story is worth it, as long as the combat is at least serviceable.

I‘ll have to go check out some combat gameplay videos and see.
The combat in Elex is....unique. You can get used to it and it can become more or less serviceable, but it's never exactly an amazing or even satisfying experience. People like to diss the Witcher 3's combat, but that's devil may cry in comparison.

Last edited:

CamHostage

So all sequels?........this industry is in a world of hurt

Again, this is what THQ Nordic does...

THQ is not a 'good' publisher, per se. THQ is an 'active' publisher, mining a whole ton of franchises they have acquired from various firesales of dead IP as well as desperate developers looking for somebody to fund their undervalued brands. THQ's playbook is to remaster the hits, then if those sell and the studio that did the remasters is ready, they have them work on a new game in the brand, and there's innovation or unique ideas or updates explored in the new stuff (to varying degrees of success, depending on your opinions of things like Sacred 3 / Citadel & Darksiders 3 & Commanche 2021) but it's meant to deliver on a demand from the otherwise unserved fanbase. They also have some new IP like Biomutant, but THQ has a ton of freaking brands and they're going to exploit them.

If you liked these games back in the day (also including Timesplitters and Gothic and Kingdoms of Amalur,) then you like THQ Nordic for what it is, because otherwise these brands (and in a lot of cases their old-school-3D style of gameplay) would be gone.

(BTW, I can't believe the day has come where I have nostalgia for the "glory days" of THQ, they were always a shitty publisher but they got a lot out there, and THQ Nordic has picked up the better stuff to continue on.)

Last edited:

ymoc

Anyone play Elex?

I know it got pretty middling review scores, but I see it’s on sale right now and the trailer for 2 looked decent.
I played it and lost interest 10 hours in. It was a let down. If you haven't yet check out Risen, or even the older Gothics. They are a better experience all around.

kingwingin

I havent played darksiders 3 or 4 so I might be misinformed. But I just want a darksiders that takes off right where 1 ended

"We hope you are ready kids"

season 6 episode 23 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Well we know at least one of the 6!
waaaaa? a pirate game? i dont know, please educate me

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Again, this is what THQ Nordic does...

THQ is not a 'good' publisher, per se. THQ is an 'active' publisher, mining a whole ton of franchises they have acquired from various firesales of dead IP as well as desperate developers looking for somebody to fund their undervalued brands. THQ's playbook is to remaster the hits, then if those sell and the studio that did the remasters is ready, they have them work on a new game in the brand, and there's innovation or unique ideas explored in the new stuff (to varying degrees of success, depending on your opinions of things like Sacred 3 / Citadel & Darksiders 3 & Commanche 2021); there's also some new IP like Biomutant, but THQ has a ton of freaking brands and they're going to exploit them.

If you liked these games back in the day (also including Timesplitters and Gothic and Kingdoms of Amalur,) then you like THQ Nordic for what it is, because otherwise these brands (and in a lot of cases their old-school-3D style of gameplay) would be gone.

(BTW, I can't believe the day has come where I have nostalgia for the "glory days" of THQ, they were always a shitty publisher but they got a lot out there, and THQ Nordic has picked up the better stuff to continue on.)
No, I get it. THQ Nordic bought a huge library. I did buy Biomutant and it's good. But DAMN, the industry is nothing but sequels, ports, remasters and spin-offs. It's old. It's going to implode soon.

BigBooper

Anyone play Elex?

It was the best of that studio's RPGs, so if you liked any of those you will probably like it. It's got some jank, but not bad. It's a pretty old fashioned RPG. Some games it reminds me of, Gothic 3, Risen, Two Worlds.

sol_bad

No, I get it. THQ Nordic bought a huge library. I did buy Biomutant and it's good. But DAMN, the industry is nothing but sequels, ports, remasters and spin-offs. It's old. It's going to implode soon.

EH???

Sekiro
Death Stranding
Returnal
Death Loop
Outer Wilds
Control
Disco Elysium
A Plague Tale
Judgement
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
Astral Chain
Outer Worlds
Ghost of Tsushima
13 Sentinels
Cyberpunk
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Dreams
Two Point Hospital
Fortnight
Apex
Wreckers
God of War (totally different game play compared to the old games)
Scarlet Nexus
Destruction All Stars
Avengers
The Sinking City
Days Gone
Biomutant
Mutant Year Zero
Maneater
Hades
Kena
Scorn
Stray
Ellen Ring
Riders Republic
Midnight Suns
Ghostwire

There are heaps of games that are original.

I would have watched it but...Geoff. I'll just wait for the trailers instead.
I look forward to the day that we have a Geoff Keighley blocker that's as effective as the suite of advertising filters on DD-WRT routers.

Sentenza

Jagged Alliance 3 alone would be a dream announcement for me, if not for the sense of dread knowing it won’t ever live up to the second.

Also interested in Outcast 2 and the Expeditions series has been competent low budget RPG goodness so far.

Still, fuck the Gothic 1 remake being a no show.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Anyone play Elex?

It's a great pure rpg (in the sense that every decision count and you have various ways to solve almost any quest) but you need to take 2 things in account:

Combat is absolutely dreadful, both melee and ranged, especially melee, and not ubisoft level of dreadful, much worse, i'm not gonna sugar coat the pill here.

You are a scrub for the first 20-30 hours, but you can explore high risk zone to get high level equipmemt if you are skilled enough, the jetpack helps escaping from enemies.
Exploration is a must in this game.

Faces on npcs are very samey.

Don't tone down the challenge, it is what make the sense of progression so good.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
EH???

Sekiro
Death Stranding
Returnal
Death Loop
Outer Wilds
Control
Disco Elysium
A Plague Tale
Judgement
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
Astral Chain
Outer Worlds
Ghost of Tsushima
13 Sentinels
Cyberpunk
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Dreams
Two Point Hospital
Fortnight
Apex
Wreckers
God of War (totally different game play compared to the old games)
Scarlet Nexus
Destruction All Stars
Avengers
The Sinking City
Days Gone
Biomutant
Mutant Year Zero
Maneater
Hades
Kena
Scorn
Stray
Ellen Ring
Riders Republic
Midnight Suns
Ghostwire

There are heaps of games that are original.
Good list but you cannot deny that publishers are milking the old franchises.....I mean there are tons of games with a number 3+ after the title. I hope we get more new IP's so we can get sequels of the new IP's. But it has been getting stale (minus some good new games over the last few years)...but the indies are our only hope it seems.

Top Bottom