• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on Sony's new $30 Dual Shock 4 paddle accessory?

So this has been available for several days now. So far, my only complaint is that Sony didn't release this thing years ago. Anyone else using it? What games are you playing with it, and how are you using it in those games?

For me, I find paddles useful in almost all games. It's not just about FPS titles or competitive shooters. For example, being able to ride a horse in Red Dead Redemption 2 while being able to control the speed of the horse and reload my guns (all while spinning the camera around me to take aim) made the combat in that game so much better.

Of course, FPS titles can be some of the best games to use with accessories like this. In Black Ops 4 Blackout and Apex Legends, I'd use left paddle for jumping, and right for reloading, because that is also the button to pick something off the ground. Paddles make most games better, but they especially help battle royale games, shooters, or anything with high mobility. That includes everything from Spiderman to Gravity Rush 2.

The video in the OP shows the accessory's benefits in both Monster Hunter World and Bloodborne. I find it really useful for games that have some sort of dodge or counter feature, especially when the dodge or counter will take priority over attack animations. You can just hammer on the attack button, and without even needing to reach over to the circle button to dodge or counter, you can instantly avoid an attack.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
No interest whatsoever in paddles. Got paddles on the back of my Switch controller and I disabled them almost immediately.

There’s almost never situation where I need to use a joystick AND a face button on the same side at the same time, and when I do I just do the claw grip.

Buttons on the back of a controller just feels unnatural.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Currently unnecessary unless you have severe nerve damage.

Codes 208

its ok, one day at work our ps4 vendor showed it off to me and the other associate, it felt softier yet clickier than i had expected. I could see myself using it in games like fortnite but overall not quite my thing.
I don't get it.

Why do I want paddles or buttons on the back of my controller? Whats wrong with the buttons now?
Its just an alternative for games that rely heavily on moving your thumbs back and forth frequently between the sticks and buttons (for example, in halo or CoD i use A to jump, but with something like this i can keep my thump on the stick and use my ring finger to jump.) so id say its one of those things for people who want a slight edge in competitive games (mainly shooters)

Sony need to step up their controller game. The xbox Elite controller is years ahead of anything else.
I’d consider that a “no shit Sherlock” as youre comparing a $60 controller to a $150-180 controller.

which frankly i dont consider a worthy price point for something i feel is just marginally better than the xbox one s controller (especially the rubber gripped models that only cost about $65)

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don’t have one, but I’m really thinking this thing could be helpful in either games that overload controllers with functions and place some awkwardly (Fortnite), or just for something as simple as more accessible controls for an advantage online.

Take jumping for example. Most games have the shoulder buttons all loaded up, so being able to move that from the face buttons to one of the paddles, so you can jump and aim with the stick simultaneously would be a big help.

I hope it’s a success. It’s a nice alternative to having to buy some really expensive controller to get this functionality.

Roxkis_ii

Having paddles can give you a competitive advantage in first person shooters by allowing you to jump, and aim at the same time.

I look forward to trying them out myself.

Oddspeak

I don't own any controller with paddles but sometimes I wish I had them for the rare game where I absolutely hate taking my thumbs off either of the sticks, even for just an instant. Especially in games where I have to stop moving to hit the d-pad.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Nice accessory! Played with it for a few hours this afternoon. Three presets and you can customize the buttons. It feels sturdy and makes hitting l2 r2 fast for me at least.

I have giant hands and sometimes I miss l2/r2 with my middle fingers if I am hitting l1/r1 with my index.

Price wise I think it was 29.99 here in the states....seems actually functional to me and so far am happy with the purchase.

OrionNebula

I was curious to try it, but here in goddamn Canada it was $49,99 so I thought fuck that (and it’s been back order since pretty much day 1, and now stands at $73 on amazon)

Pass here until it’s actually $30 Canadian. I refuse to pay more for 2 buttons, ultimately

Dthomp

Picked one up, like it so far but not a ton of use. Simple things like programming L3/R3 is really nice. Been using it to be even lazier while dinking around in Dragon Quest XI and setting R2 to it so I can run and play with only one hand is something :)

I wanted one of those fancy Astro controllers, but until I see how these will work on new consoles this was a much cheaper investment at only 25 bucks at my local Wal Mart

OrionNebula

Picked one up, like it so far but not a ton of use. Simple things like programming L3/R3 is really nice. Been using it to be even lazier while dinking around in Dragon Quest XI and setting R2 to it so I can run and play with only one hand is something :)

I’ve destroyed about 3 controllers this gen because of the L3 button for running, for some reason (I don’t know if it’s bad luck or anything, because I don’t think I do anything quite destructive with my thumb), so that’s one of the main reason I wanted to buy this (maybe that could salvage those busted controllers, that could bypass that jittering when I try to run/sprint with L3)

B_Boss

I don't get it.

Why do I want paddles or buttons on the back of my controller? Whats wrong with the buttons now?

Why must anything be “bad”/“wrong” with buttons lol? It enhances the controls for certain games when you have more buttons without having to take your thumbs off of the analog sticks. We’re talking seconds of real difference in dexterity and execution. Is it necessary to have fun? No, not at all but is certainly preferred.

Even buttons are gimmicky?!? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I don’t merely want more buttons, BUT!!!
This is perfect way of increasing the amount of functions you can control simultaneously. I have wanted this for generations!

I hope, that this is a small part of the evolution of DualShock, that Sony has been hinting for PS5!

Last edited:
Q

Quezacotl

Unconfirmed Member
Some one I know loves it. He plays shooters mainly and he likes that he no longer have to take his right thumb off of the right analog stick to reload or switch weapons.

xrnzaaas

A good alternative for L3/R3 buttons.
Yup, I hate it pressing the analogue sticks when I already have them positioned in a certain direction.

Personally I'm not gonna buy this accessory, but it would be nice if the PS5 controller had the extra buttons from the start.

Reactions: Isa

VertigoOA

Banned
Paddle triggers are superior to that L2 and R2 for every action game. I converted long ago and don’t want to go back. I don’t have the accessory and won’t ever get it. No travel time on a trigger pull is a huge plus regardless. Glad to see it’s becoming a standard.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
My first thought, when I saw it first time, was that no way that this can be real. It's bulky as fuck for 2 buttons and why the fuck it has a display which facingaway from you? Why is there a display at all? Could they not only make it more slim, but also less power hungry? You know instead just throw some app on PS4 and well...done. No, insted they release this abomination.

As much as I agree, still not interested in putting down the cash for admission. Controllers already cost far more at MSRP than they should.

It's worth every penny. You hold your controller for every second and every minute you play any game. I use my Elite for Steam. The build quality, feel, button mapping, rear paddles...The Elite pad is a joy to use.

Freeman76

No interest whatsoever in paddles. Got paddles on the back of my Switch controller and I disabled them almost immediately.

There’s almost never situation where I need to use a joystick AND a face button on the same side at the same time, and when I do I just do the claw grip.

Buttons on the back of a controller just feels unnatural.

Once you have tried having L3 attached to a paddle you will realise how wrong you are

TacosNSalsa

I see how this can be useful especially for competitive players but it coming out so late in the consoles life cycle makes me wary.

DESTROYA

It's worth every penny. You hold your controller for every second and every minute you play any game. I use my Elite for Steam. The build quality, feel, button mapping, rear paddles...The Elite pad is a joy to use.
Gotta say your wrong on this , the Elite controller might be worth it if it worked as it should but there are a lot of complaints about sticky and unresponsive face buttons .
I’ve also heard a lot instances of inconsistent connectivity, both over the Xbox One's proprietary wireless connection and the newly-integrated Bluetooth. Stick issues include failing to center after being pushed or "drifting," where thumbsticks register inputs when not physically moved. The Xbox Elite Series 2 mega-thread compiles many of these issues on the Xbox One subreddit.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Honestly it’s an amazing idea, I got one and it feels really good to play with. Better than those other third party add-ons.

Kagero

I'll try and snag one today and report back. I can see this being useful for swapping face buttons so I don't have to take my right thumb off the controller to reload or jump.

Saber

Gold Member
I wish I could say something. Like my brother said, theres no sign of these acessories around here. The least I could find is on random sites with an absurd prices.

Last edited:
Gotta say your wrong on this , the Elite controller might be worth it if it worked as it should but there are a lot of complaints about sticky and unresponsive face buttons .
I’ve also heard a lot instances of inconsistent connectivity, both over the Xbox One's proprietary wireless connection and the newly-integrated Bluetooth. Stick issues include failing to center after being pushed or "drifting," where thumbsticks register inputs when not physically moved. The Xbox Elite Series 2 mega-thread compiles many of these issues on the Xbox One subreddit.
I have an OG elite and can safely say I have no issues.

Theres a configuration option on the elite where stick drift can be eliminated through adjusting the software, so I don't know why people haven't dont that?

By the way, saying I'm wrong when you haven't bought or used the controller and are only going on the experiences of others via reddit, makes you sound ignorant at best and pig-headed at worst.

Why are my words worth less than those of a poster on reddit?

Use the controller and make your mind up for yourself.

Texas Pride

Banned
Wouldn't recommend it if you have big hands. Shit was uncomfortable and had to go back. My son however loves his despite the fact it died within a week and he swapped it for another one.

ORI

Banned

So this has been available for several days now. So far, my only complaint is that Sony didn't release this thing years ago. Anyone else using it? What games are you playing with it, and how are you using it in those games?

As with all these things, it's a little pricey.

DESTROYA

I have an OG elite and can safely say I have no issues.

Theres a configuration option on the elite where stick drift can be eliminated through adjusting the software, so I don't know why people haven't dont that?

By the way, saying I'm wrong when you haven't bought or used the controller and are only going on the experiences of others via reddit, makes you sound ignorant at best and pig-headed at worst.

Why are my words worth less than those of a poster on reddit?

Use the controller and make your mind up for yourself.
OK , dude calm down. No need to bust a nut defending a expensive and flawed product, personal attacks on my character when pointing out the product is over priced and has quality control issues sounds silly at best and immature at worst.
No one said your words are worthless just pointing out that it’s not a perfect product as you think it is .
For the record I have tried one and found for the money they charge for it definitely not worth it.

OK , dude calm down. No need to bust a nut defending a expensive and flawed product, personal attacks on my character when pointing out the product is over priced and has quality control issues sounds silly at best and immature at worst.
No one said your words are worthless just pointing out that it’s not a perfect product as you think it is .
For the record I have tried one and found for the money they charge for it definitely not worth it.
I'm not defending the product. I was defending my words. I don't expect you to believe anyone on the internet, or you can believe everyone, it's your call. It was more that you called me wrong for my opinion. Maybe I'm lucky and I got the only good elite pad out there. Bear in mind I have sna elitr v1, I've heard the horror stories of elite v2.

I don't get it.

To re-purpose a bit of something I wrote before this accessory was released:

It's not just about FPS titles or competitive shooters. Being able to ride a horse in Red Dead Redemption 2 while being able to control the speed of the horse and reload my guns (all while spinning the camera around me to take aim) made the combat in that game so much better.

Of course, FPS titles can be some of the best games to use with accessories like this. In Black Ops 4 Blackout and Apex Legends, I'd use left paddle for jumping, and right for reloading, because that is also the button to pick something off the ground. Paddles make most games better, but they especially help battle royale games, shooters, or anything with high mobility. That includes everything from Spiderman to Gravity Rush 2.

The video in the OP shows the accessory's benefits in both Monster Hunter World and Bloodborne. I find it really useful for games that have some sort of dodge or counter feature, especially when the dodge or counter will take priority over attack animations. You can just hammer on the attack button, and without even needing to reach over to the circle button to dodge or counter, you can instantly avoid an attack.

I think I'll also add this to the OP.

My first thought, when I saw it first time, was that no way that this can be real. It's bulky as fuck for 2 buttons and why the fuck it has a display which facingaway from you? Why is there a display at all? Could they not only make it more slim, but also less power hungry? You know instead just throw some app on PS4 and well...done. No, insted they release this abomination.

I wondered about some of this before using one as well. The thing is, the screen is almost never on, which means it's almost never using the battery. It's also not a real touch screen. When you "press" the screen, you're actually pressing a single button embedded behind the screen. There's a noticeable click when you cycle though presets or program the buttons.

Because the button is behind the screen, you need to apply a bit of pressure, so it's not really something you'd want to cycle though in the middle of gameplay. Perhaps they put the screen on the back to discourage people from wanting to do that, because it wouldn't work very well.

Either way, I'm really happy with it so far. If anyone has any other questions, feel free to ask.

DESTROYA

I'm not defending the product. I was defending my words. I don't expect you to believe anyone on the internet, or you can believe everyone, it's your call. It was more that you called me wrong for my opinion. Maybe I'm lucky and I got the only good elite pad out there. Bear in mind I have sna elitr v1, I've heard the horror stories of elite v2.
That’s what I was talking about v2 since v1 is not available anymore, even you admit v2 has some issues and if you took me calling you wrong as a bad thing it was not intended that way.

Isa

I'd say some people have their minds set on something because of what they've heard from elsewhere, even when presented with reasonable contrary evidence. Do they have defects? Certainly like any potential product. The same could be argued about the Switch Joy-Cons and PS4 controller. For me personally the only controller type I've had issues with this gen are my Dual Shocks, my best friend and I always end up having the left thumbstick start to drift which is for me very annoying. Thankfully the new controller I bought hasn't had issues so quick however. I own both Elite's and for what its worth I've not had any problems yet, and the V2 has been my favorite go to since it released.

I would like to try this accessory for the Dualshock however, as I actually really enjoy the programmability the paddles offer.

That’s what I was talking about v2 since v1 is not available anymore, even you admit v2 has some issues and if you took me calling you wrong as a bad thing it was not intended that way.

I did say in my first post I was using OG elite controller. I wasn't aware they were no longer available though?

I'd say some people have their minds set on something because of what they've heard from elsewhere, even when presented with reasonable contrary evidence. Do they have defects? Certainly like any potential product. The same could be argued about the Switch Joy-Cons and PS4 controller. For me personally the only controller type I've had issues with this gen are my Dual Shocks, my best friend and I always end up having the left thumbstick start to drift which is for me very annoying. Thankfully the new controller I bought hasn't had issues so quick however. I own both Elite's and for what its worth I've not had any problems yet, and the V2 has been my favorite go to since it released.

I would like to try this accessory for the Dualshock however, as I actually really enjoy the programmability the paddles offer.

The accessory looks good, I just think Sony should and could do an amazing job with a 'paddle'/'elite' version of the Dualshock

trikster40

I use mine a lot. Sometimes it’s just easier to use those buttons than others. I really like it on Sniper Elite games, I use it for zoom in and zoom out.

• Thoughtful

scalman

i never was in any PS4 game that i would thought ; hmmm i wish i would have more buttons. or in any console game .

Top Bottom